January 21st, 2011

Keith Olbermann out of a job: Join the live chat

Breaking news tonight, Keith Olbermann has ended his show "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" with MSNBC.  We've got all the TV insiders to talk about the developments, and much more in the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: 360° Radar • Live Blog
  1. Terry

Maybe Comcast will finally take MSNBC away from its liberal losing ways and create a network that will be competitive with Fox News. It would be nice to see a network use Fox's business plan so that Fox can receive some competition.

I see this as a purely rational decision and is the beginning of a change in business philosophy at that network.

January 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  2. Deb, NYC

This was a corporate decision to shut up the voice of the left.

January 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  3. donnie

This is a travesty,and a loss to smart journalism

January 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Helen

It was shocking to see that Keith Olbermann has left MSNBC and ended his program "Countdown with Keith Olbermann." Now, I do not watch Mr. Oblermann's show, but I do respect him. He will he missed.

January 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Emily

@Christian,
    "He is just what Monday Night Football needs."
    I think that he has more of a personality for something like a Sports announcer, than he does for a News Broadcaster.

January 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  6. Pat Tibbs

If Keith has a non-compete agreement with NBCUni he'll apparently be off the air for a period of time so we'll just have to watch for him to crop up. According to Ali Velshi Keith's been shopping for his next show for some time.

My questions are around the remaining line up: I guess this means Lawrence O'Donnell will be doing 5 shows/week. Will the Schultz show be a repeat? or is he actually moving? If so, who will take his earlier time slot?

January 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Sara

I was watching and Keith seemed somewhat shocked, even mentioning someone talking in his ear with instructions. Could he have been told to wrap it up with no warning in the middle of his show?

January 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Deb, NYC

Keith built MSNBC

January 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Kellie

My husband and I are extremely saddened to hear of Keth Olbermann's departure. What is MSNBC thinking? Crazy.

January 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Bill

Thanks AC for the quick pickup on this story. I must admit, as a fan of Keith's, when I chanced past his farewell, I was desperate for follow-up. Even though I've always like you, AC, you may have just won a new regular audience member!

January 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  11. roger

love Keith,i have dependended on this man for a long time-wish him well!

January 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Sofie

I am sad about this. There are people on the news stations who have a certain appeal and he is one of them. His opinions may, or may not, be mine, but he is a voice to be heard, same as O'Reilly or, especially, Anderson Cooper. I only hope it is not a signal to stifle the left....since Fox champions the right and, IMO, CNN is in the middle. It is good for those of us who want to learn to be able to choose who to watch to hear all sides.

January 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  13. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi–Happy Friday!
    It's unfortunate to hear about Keith Olbermann–it will be interesting to hear more about the reasons for his departure, and what he may plan to do in the future.

January 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Alene Greto

Mr. Olbermann has thousands of fans on Facebook
    We are hoping Oprah picks him up for a show!

January 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  15. Emily

I think it's surprising that MSNBC has let Keith Olbermann go. Well I was never a fan, he had a strong following.

January 21, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  16. JT

I wish I understood more about this, but I will miss Mr. Olbermann on MSNBC. Probably he should just go online for now, he doesn't need the money I would imagine.

17. Karl Abarca

I watched MSBNC because of Keith, Good bye MSNBC. Back to CNN.

18. Lucy

Hey, Maybe Keith will find some time in his schedule to vote now. Always been a sore point. How he can complain every night but not even vote is beyond me.

19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The years enhance photo is good! It's right on the money!

20. Linda

It is such a shame especially after his amazing commentary in the wake of the Arizona tragedy. I think Comcast has made quite a mistake

21. Ed

good evening. What a shock. I was a big fan of Keith O. and David Shuster. I respect both of their talents. I hope they both reappear again very soon. Good luck Keith.

22. Lauren Niedel

It will not be years. But this is a horrible omen for left wing media. We need a source where people can speak their minds without being intimidated by their owners. MSNBC is not that source. BOYCOTT MSNBC!

23. Victoria

It's so upsetting that Keith will no longer with MSNBC. MSNBC will surely discover that it's their loss, and hopefully Keith will find a new home where he can continue to be a major force.

24. Tisha

Whether I agreed with him most of the time or not, his honesty will be missed.

25. Eliza

Maybe vitriol is out.

26. Rob

Olbermann is a talented guy, but I wonder if MSNBC isn't going to try to change things up a bit in the wake of the Comcast acquisition. Regardless of whether you like Olbermann or others on that network, their ratings have been abysmal, so it stands to reason they'd try to make changes.

27. Taran

Keith was the reason I started watching that network. It's a shame.

28. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello, Nichole, Nancy, Emily, JoAnn, Mike, Casey, Samantha, Nina, Heather, Sharon.....everyone.

29. Robert Umfer

Can Keith appear on the Rachel Maddow show as a guest, or does his contract say he can never appear on MS-NBC again?

30. CHARLIE

As a europena I have never heard of Kieth Olderman. There are numerous US anchor people who are well known over here but I don't think he is one of them.

January 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  31. Christian

He is just what Monday Night Football needs.

January 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  32. Deb. G NY, NY

Shocked – yes
    Shocked after thinking about it – no

January 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  33. Heather - Spokane, WA

If he was in a contract and had two more years on it, did they pay him off of the contract? Otherwise, they wouldn't have been able to fire him

January 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  34. Laura, KY

I can't believe that Keith Olbermann is out at MSNBC. I am true to AC360 because I like to hear both sides of the story but if I really wanted my liberal views reinforced – I would sneak and watch Countdown for a little bit! 🙂

January 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  35. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Isha, 360°Team, Jo Ann, Mike, Megan, Nancy, Nicole, Gloria, Casey, Starr, Nina & Bloggers.

January 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  36. Ryan

Any chance Roger Ailes gives Olbermann a call?

January 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  37. lisal -canada

the msnbc thing is kind of unexpected

it is kind of like that it the computer-tech world – someone can walk in and tell you your contract is terminated as of "now" – flexibility vs job security – it is a bit of a tradeoff

January 21, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  38. Karen, MN

Hi Anderson and everyone,
    Happy Friday!

January 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  39. Lori

Talent will find a way.

January 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  40. CHARLIE

I have only ever been aware of MSM business news. I had no idea they had a profile sa being left wing. FOX on the other hand is globally fanous for being extremely right wing.

January 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  41. Casey Jones - Las vegas, NV

Good evening! I was a Keith Olbermann fan before I discovered 360. I simply got tired of it, but I found Keith to be astoundingly articulate, well-educated, and razor-sharp with his grasp of, and his ability to, deliver the facts. I am disappointed, but I'm confident he will re-appear with a more formidable voice than he has had up to this point.

January 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  42. Eliza

I thought he was imploding. Seems like there must be more that we aren't hearing.

January 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  43. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. Happy Friday. Wow, I was really surprised about Keith Olbermann. I did tune in and was shocked.

January 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  44. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I know he will be fine. Keith, after the waiting period, OWN is always on the lookout for a few good people.

January 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  45. Heather - Spokane, WA

It is surprising to hear that MSNBC will no longer have Keith Olberman

January 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  46. Kenya

Wow sad to hear about Olbermann's departure.

January 21, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    I am not surprised Keith Olbermann is leaving MSNBC tonight......

January 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

January 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone

January 21, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  50. Lori

Hi Anderson! Hi Everyone!

January 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm |