January 19th, 2011
  1. Danny Boyett

I think this bill is ridiculous to convict a doctor for asking about a firearm in the house where the child resides. I would suggest that all the doctors make up a pamphlet to cover everything from firearms,chemicals,swimming pools,and everyday dangers in a home and hand it out every time the doctors see the patient. Can a doctor still practice medicine if convicted of a felony?

January 19, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
  2. Christopher Adams

The law may not be complicated, but in my opinion it is a way to slowly but surely bring comunism into America. Next thing you know we all will be dictated on what we can do and say.

January 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  3. Jessie Bayes

Anderson, the government man senator or congressman from Florida is nuts just like most of them are. I do not agree that ANY one who is supposed to be runing MY government sign their name to ANY bill before they have read and fully understand it ALL. I intend to hold them responsible. I have NEVER gone to or spoken with a tea party member, however I DO AGREE WITH THEIR IDEAS FULLY. SMALLER GOVERNMENT. Just a little ole lady from NM,

January 19, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  4. chris

I really disagree with this law and after looking at the sentence for involuntary manslaughter, doctors could serve just as much time as someone that killed another human being. All doctors are doing is trying to protect kids from guns!

January 19, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
  5. Boomer in Mo

Why is it my doctor's business if I have a gun at home or not? I would refuse to answer such an intrusive question. If he want's to ask if I overeat, fine, but my guns are none of his business.

January 19, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  6. Rodell laureano

The co-sponsor of the bill states that this legislation is intended to protect privacy. I believe the Dept of Homeland Security has already taken away our privacy (See Frontline 1/18/11).

January 19, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  7. Barbara Davis, M.D.

Although the story focuses on pediatricians, as a practicing psychiatrist I am very concerned about the implications of this law. When a physician is treating a patient who has reported suicidal or homicidal thoughts the risk the patient will act on those thoughts must be assessed. The patient's plan and whether or not he or she has the ability to carry out that plan are crucial in determining the probable risk to the patient or others. The presence of a gun in the patient's home significantly increases that risk. This law would prevent psychiatrists and other physicians from providing the best quality of care for those who are most in need of it.

January 19, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  8. Melissa

As a parent and a pediatrician I think this bill is a disgrace. Why is it that when there is a recession, high unemployment, and this country is involved in an unending war when our troops are putting their lives on the line, those that WE elect into office are putting forward bills that put our children's lives in danger because these politicians put the NRA lobbyists goals as a priority. I think there are enough issues for our politicians to address, they should stop making up unnecessary bills that deter our government's time, resources and focus from important issues ... like the war and the economy. Here's a novel idea, instead of censoring pediatricians, why don't we force people who choose to exercise their right to bear arms to be more responsible. Why not impose a 5 year prison sentence or fine of $5 million to the owner of any firearm that is used to injure or kill a child? If gun owners were more responsible, pediatricians would not need to talk to families about gun safety. We wouldn't need to encourage parents, who don't own guns and therefore may think their children are safe, to remember to talk to their children about gun safety as their children may be in a friend or relatives' home where there is an unsecured firearm. It is unbelievable to me that these politicians place their lobbyists interests above the safety of children, and people are okay with it. No one should be okay with this bill!

January 19, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  9. Rob S.

I find Mr. Toobin's analysis off the mark. Section 1A of the bill defines asking the question about guns as an invasion of privacy. Sections 2 prohibits a doctor from denying treatment based on a patient's refusal to answer a question that violates the patient's privacy as defined in section 1A. Section 3 prohibits the doctor from publishing/reporting the patient's answer or refusal to answer a question about guns in the home. Where is the prohibition on asking the question?

January 19, 2011 at 1:09 pm |