January 19th, 2011

Democrat compares Republican 'lies' to Nazi: Join the Live Chat

Democratic Rep. Steve Cohen is comparing Republicans who he says lie about health care to Nazis. Remember all the talk of toning down the rhetoric? Apparently that was last week. We're Keeping Them Honest. Plus, a follow up to our Kids, Guns and Politics report last night on the Florida state lawmakers who want to make it illegal for pediatricians to ask a patient if they have a gun in the home. The co-sponsor of the bill we had on last night said we didn't have the facts. Now he admits he was wrong. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. charlie

I hope the case of the missing girl is solved. It is terrible not to know what happened; very sad for the family.

January 19, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  2. Calvert Crary

Representative Cohen is courageous to actually say what is plain to anyone who knows about Nazi propaganda techniques. The Republicans are using them, especially "name calling" and the "big lie" techniques. Calling Nancy Pelosi a "socialist" was name calling, and calling the health care legislation "socialized medicine" was a big lie. Rep. Cohen is not saying they are Nazis, but that they are using the Nazi propaganda techniques. By the way, Goebbels himself conceded that he learned the techniques from the Americans.

January 19, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  3. Daniel

@Manuel

Wasn't as bad? How are you measuring that? Explain?

I would suggest… people on the Left tend to underestimate the extent of what sounds to people who aren't on the Left like extreme rhetoric just as people on the Right tend to do the same thing.

Bush was called everything Obama has been called with the possible exception of socalist/communist. Bush was burned in effigy by anti-war protesters in San Francisco. He had 5 assassination attempts on his life.

January 19, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  4. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Anderson, really great series on cold cases. It reminds us all that these cases could be solved still.
    My heart breaks for Chreerie's mother.
    I truly hope, with all my heart, that the lead(s) that Trooper McGraw is receiving will lead to an answer in this case.
    Great report by Randi-Kaye as always!

January 19, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  5. John Hannigan

I think it's pretty obvious what Congressman Cohen was saying – Constantly saying the same lies over and over again starts to "sink in" and take on a truth of their own, especially with impressionable people. I listened to what he had to say and I never heard him call any Republican or Tea Party member – a Nazi. That wasn't what he was saying at all. He WAS saying they were using tactics similar what they did which is repeating lies over and over again so people start to believe them. There is nothing wrong with using that as an example which is, obviously, all he was doing Taking offense to that is being hypersensitive. It is interesting to note that one can never discuss anything using any other example or situation if it includes any word begining with the letter N unless, maybe you're if name is Chris Rock.
    MAybe we could all take a lesson From the Founding Fathers none of whom really liked each other all that much but sat down to dinner at Thomas Jefferson's house and built the greatest nation all on their ability to agree to disagree peacefully without choking each other

January 19, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  6. Sharon Hastings

Such pain. I can't imagine what it would feel like to have a child or a grandchild taken. Today in Walmart, I saw a father leave his 2 year old son in a toy aisle and go one aisle over to talk to some friends. I would never do that in this day and age. It's sad but that's what it's come to.

January 19, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  7. Lori

When you think your child is missing your heart ends up in your throat. I once thought my four-year old entered a mens bathroom without me. I opened the door and started screaming until everyone ran out. My little one was standing behind me with a big smile. And, yes I would do that again if needed....

January 19, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  8. Allison Boyko

I agree with the Democrat about the Republicans acting like Nazi. Remember George W. Bush Jr. and "Weapons of Mass Destruction". Not to mention in Michael Moore's Fahrenheight 911 the Republicans used a campange of fear to gain public support to invade iraq. Not to mention the fiascal with George W. Bush's first "election" by turning away all of the black voters in Florida.

January 19, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  9. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nice see Isha to be join us tonight, she is great job tonight!

January 19, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  10. JOHN S

These politicians ALL want attention.
    It appears that they're not getting
    enough and resort to tactics that
    are ridiculous and absurd.
    I lose respect when they try
    to be the loudest on the hill

Thanks, AC-360

January 19, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Greg

I wonder what specific part of this 1600 page monstrosity this fool thinks the Republicans are lying about? This thing was failure from the word go.

January 19, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  12. Nina

The guilt and emotional distress with the loss of a child is horrific. My heart goes out to anyone who has experienced this.

January 19, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  13. Mark Ledbetter

Clotille Rapaille and Frank Luntz are the Goebbels clones whose FRAMING is precisely what such lights as Orwell warned would happen. Who needs Goebbels when you have these Goobers?

January 19, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  14. Anthony

Lets take the polit-tricking out of politics and be honest with the American people... Stop this dishonest tactical maneuvering for political gains. (just Dreaming)

January 19, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  15. Wally

I totally agree with Rep. Cohen. What's wrong with calling the kettle black? The Republicans are liars and play on the fears of Americans while they are in bed with big business and insurance companies, who are among the worst. You know it and I know it; all the Republicans care about are taking care of themselves and protecting their wealth, not about making a better America for everyone!

January 19, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks for update from Dr. Sanjay Gupta!!! 🙂

I love "The Shot" Snowplow truck drive through the street, he doesn't know that sinkhole goes fall in the ground, Lucky driver is not hurt as well. Funny shot, Thanks Anderson!!!!! LOL!! OUCH!

January 19, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  17. JWoodson

Thank you Rep. Cohen for looking at the awful actions of the Republican party and commenting as you did. I am just sick of news readers shading the truth or not mentioning the truth at all. The Republicans lie and repeat lies so often and Limbaugh, Beck, Palin constantly keep the negative rhetoric going and their badly misinformed base does not know how to decipher the truth.
    I wish there was a channel that bleeped politicians each time they lied.

January 19, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  18. malik

While his comment may be absonate to some the truth is the truth and Cohen was right.

January 19, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Manuel

@AJ yes, only 18% want the Health care repealed and the GOP makes it sound like all of America wants it repeal. It's only the GOPs that want that, the other 1/2 wanted.

January 19, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Karen Salver

1)How does monitoring what doctors ask in their office and jailing them for asking create jobs for Americans or help the economy? More prison guard positions? 2.)I thought Republicans advocated "less government". Isn't this More? 3.)Are the Republican congressmen and women willing to give up their medical insurance to stand with their fellow Americans who do not have it? Are they against Medicare coverage also because that is a government medical program.

January 19, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  21. charlie

@Sharon Hastings,
    Very well stated. It's really not a lot different than asking about diet.

January 19, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  22. Olivia

I certainly agree with Mr. Cohen and his explanation of the tactics is spot on. It's about time someone steps up to the plate and exposes the Republicans tactics for what they are!

January 19, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  23. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It makes you wonder why are they in show business anyway if they can't take a joke or two.

January 19, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  24. George

From Canada: I guess if the congressman repeats comparing Republican tatics to those of Goebbels, then the voters may eventually believe they are cut from the same cloth ... but my questions is – why are people so freaked out by universal healthcare...

January 19, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  25. Luke

There has to be a difference between "politically incorrect speech" and "lying". The man agreed that he shouldn't have used the Nazi analogy. I admire that, I think that was a very civil thing to do! I can't remember ever hearing, any Republican backing up at all, from anything he/she said.

January 19, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I remain STunned that "baby doc" remains in Haiti, not charged or arrested. And, some say he is considering reentering polotics??

Very good to have Isha on board every night!

January 19, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Manuel

@ Daniel, yeah but it wasn't as bad or did they have pictures of Bush like they do Obama. I'm sorry about ur family.

January 19, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  28. George Adams from shoreline

the republicans have worked very hard to undermine the lives of the very people who support them. it is about time they were turned out. the best thing that could happen to our population and economy is universal health care that will free the populace from servitude to large ineficient corporations

January 19, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  29. Nicole The Netherlands

I am so thankful that Gabrielle Giffords is taking so much big steps in her recovery!
    I hope one day she will sit besides Sanjay and Anderson in the studio commenting on her full recovery 🙂

January 19, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  30. valencia winfrey

Rep. Gifford is in the prayers of me and my family.

January 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Enrique

I think that everyone is so frustrated and why words spoken are those of anger, the politicians don’t get it, the majority elected a president to provide what the majority of the citizens wanted, the party that lost is supported by insurance lobby groups who accustom to dance with the GOP and the reason why they oppose what the majority wants, when this happens it gives a new definition to the words “money talks.”

January 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  32. AJ

Rep Cohen might have done better to use another example to avoid what is now controversial, however his point of telling lies over and over is too true a statement to be discredited. The facts are true and the Republicans won the November election on just that "lies over and over" and continue to lie as their arguments continue to be hypocritical as they bounce back and forth on their own proposals and resend if the Demoncrats stand to gain ground.

January 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  33. Manuel

I do believe that the white politico feels they've lost ground and are trying to regain it. It will be impossible with all the diversity in the USA. They can't stand it.

January 19, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  34. Sharon Hastings

I think maybe some are missing the point here. Doctors see the results all the time of kids drowning, being injured and killed in car wrecks, being accidentally shot by guns by a sibling. It's purely a safety and prevention issue and it is medical. Death is pretty medical.

January 19, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  35. JL. Cai from Memphis

I know Rep. Cohen. I agree with him. But I wish he had said that he is against all nazi-like propaganda methods used by any American political parties to American people or people anywhere. This is what separates our American government from many other governments, past and current, that we pursue the ideal of truth and betterment of civilization. Respecting the truth must be the first step to be civil.

January 19, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  36. Reggie

Hey Anderson
    I agree with Rep. Cohen. Those lies said over and over again until people begin to believe it, is a form of national brain washing also use by dictators in Soviet Russia. Think about the phase "Ram Down Our Thoats" was said over and over and over again.

January 19, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nice interview by Mark Kelly!!! he is real true believe his wife Gabby!!!!!!!! Nice job!

January 19, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  38. Joe

Congressman Cohen is correct about the tactics being used to attempt the turn back these modest gains in healthcare...lies continually repeated! He deserves credit for having the guts to call it out. He might have been better off making a different analogy than the Nazis, it deflects from the accuracy of his statement.

January 19, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  39. Sue

Yes Randall, Nazi seems extreme but they do portray Obama as Hitler say he's a socialist
    with death panels etc.
    Now they want to end (Obamacare)healthcare
    that their republican congressmen and senetors
    enjoy.
    If the republicans want to be rid of healthcare they should be forced to give it up!!

January 19, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  40. Brian

Everything Congressman Cohen said is correct, while they may not be Nazi's the GOP uses the tactics he mentioned. Unfortunately you chose to make it a "Nazi" issue instead of acknowledging the fact this how how the GOP operates. The GOP would be proud of you!

January 19, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  41. Daniel

@Manuel

That's a circular argument. I didn't see people make a big deal when Bush was compared to Hitler. I had relatives die on both sides of WW2. They would tell you Hitler = Hitler.

January 19, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  42. Shirley

I understand what Rep. Cohen was saying and I have to say it is not quite as bad as some of the other inflammatory vitriol that has taken place in the last several years by both parties but more heavily by the GOP. However in the spirit of using more civility after Tucson he could have used more discretion explaining his point. I think he could rise above by admitting this and trying it again.

January 19, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  43. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Rep. Giffords progress is just short of a miracle. To be able to progress at this rate is truly remarkable.
    I hope she will be able to communicate vocally soon.
    Hope & prayers continue to all who were injured from me and my family.

January 19, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  44. Reed from NYC

There is a fair share of hypocrisy being shared here. However, I think the barometer for acceptable dialogue should be based on facts. If it is indeed fact that the TACTICS which are being used are representative of those that incite violence, then it should be exposed and in some cases, compared to similar historical situations...(after all, aren't we condemned to repeat the forgotten mistakes of the past?) And if the language that is being used to describe those tactics is in itself inflammatory, then one must ask, what is the CONTEXT? Is the intent to enlighten, or to coerce others through veiled euphemisms?

January 19, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  45. Kel

Gabby is incredible! You go girl.

January 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I hope things continue to go well with congresswoman Giffords.

January 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  47. Lori

Good news about Gabriel Giffords.

January 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  48. Bob

Truth should be a defense: The Propaganda Methods being used by the Republicans to convince many voters to vote against their own best interests are, in fact, similar to those the Nazis used: Tell a short lie over and over again until the public believes it.

January 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  49. Tony

Clowns to the left and Jokers to the right...there are creeps on both sides of the aisle but some great patriots and servants on both sides as well...I hope this guys voters give him the boot for this nonsense

January 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  50. Sharon Hastings

I wish all the best in supports and recovery for both the congresswoman and her husband.

January 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm |