January 19th, 2011

Democrat compares Republican 'lies' to Nazi: Join the Live Chat

Democratic Rep. Steve Cohen is comparing Republicans who he says lie about health care to Nazis. Remember all the talk of toning down the rhetoric? Apparently that was last week. We're Keeping Them Honest. Plus, a follow up to our Kids, Guns and Politics report last night on the Florida state lawmakers who want to make it illegal for pediatricians to ask a patient if they have a gun in the home. The co-sponsor of the bill we had on last night said we didn't have the facts. Now he admits he was wrong. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Walter Kaz

I think the Representative from Tenn. explained it well. He showed how lies can prevail. How lies like that, linked with unlimited funds, can drown out moderate Republicans during primary elections and have a small group of conservatives control the "NO vote" in Congress.

January 19, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night tight! Sleep Well!

January 19, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  3. libby

Good night everyone! Thank you Anderson on another great show. Thank you Moderator!! Thank you to all the great bloggers here. 🙂

January 19, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Cessy - Chicago

goodnight, everyone!

night Anderson 🙂

Be safe!

January 19, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  5. lisal -canada

that snorting segment was just kind of gross – funny though

January 19, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Starr, formerly known as vincent

LOVE the Ridiculist, But hated the incident that caused it to be on the list. I am so sad for that woman.
    Thank you & good night Anderson & Team 360, another brilliant show tonight.
    Good night fellow writers, great commentary tonight.
    I wish you all a safe and peaceful day tomorrow.
    I pray the political rhetoric does not take off like a rocket again given this "nazi" incident.

January 19, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Nina

Good night Anderson, team 360 and other bloggers.
    Love your Ridiculist... Great program
    Have a wonderful week

January 19, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Paula, Colorado

Great program tonight, Anderson!

January 19, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Lee

I beleive that cohen was not being inappropriate by comparing republicans with the nazis in fact he was not comparing them with the nazis, he was just giving an example of what their act was like by bringing up that example of how one could lie and eventually grab some attention.

January 19, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Sharon Hastings

Snorting pixie stix? Maybe it's a quicker way to get that sugar fix and you wouldn't rot your teeth out.

Good night everyone. Sleep well and stay safe, so probably shouldn't snort pixie stix.

January 19, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Lori

Anderson and Everyone! Good night. Sweet dreams.

January 19, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Mor

@ Sharon

I have to disagree with you, my husband is a fireman and a paramedic...he enters peoples home and sees the results of drugs and alcohol, so should have have the right to arrest people? I disagree. He too, sees the results of accidents–and etc...so should he then also ask about guns?

January 19, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Lori

You would think that they would get sinus infections from this...

January 19, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  14. Nina

Just boggles the mind what people inhale up their nose!

January 19, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Nicole The Netherlands

Good evening everyone!
    Great show and blog tonight
    Thought Ricky Gervais was very funny!

January 19, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha,others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    That's so silly I like ridiculist the ash grabbers & others, LOL! So funny Anderson, Thanks Anderson!!!!

Anderson,
    Have a great/good night, Tight sleep & rest,
    See you tomorrow night!

January 19, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Lori

They could have warned the celebrities in advance. No apologies though.

January 19, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It was not a roast! It would have been funnier!

January 19, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  19. CHARLIE

If you bring is a Brit. Expect some honesty.

January 19, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  20. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Charlie, just saw your post to me.
    I do believe there is another way that the Representative could have presented his case.
    Using "nazi" as an analogy remains offensive to me,personally. It also defies his call the previous week for "civil" discourse.
    Americans can hear his point presented without offensive language.

January 19, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Nina

Just too funny... "I've got to go out there and roast them"? lol

January 19, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  22. CHARLIE

What did he say? I missed the gervais story.

January 19, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  23. thomas

I think rep. steven cohen is right on the money.
    By use the word nazi, i know it got the attention of all,just as the lies from the other camp.You know, lie after lie after lie.
    It's about time...hooray for rep. cohen.

January 19, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  24. Helen

I hope that Rep. Giffords is doing okay. She is making great progress.

January 19, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"No real houswives at the state dinner!"

January 19, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  26. CHARLIE

hurray for wikileaks. After WMD and bankers bonuses I don't think that free speech is a good thing.

January 19, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  27. Jeremy

The senator's comments seemed too loose with language and did not make it clear enough that his comparison was with a specific strategy on propaganda and in no way related to the general sentiments the word 'Nazi' brings to mind.

January 19, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  28. Steve

Hmm...Don't remember any Bush signs that made him look like Hitler

January 19, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Daniel

@Luke "I can't remember ever hearing, any Republican backing up at all, from anything he/she said."

Did you not read John McCain's statement in the Washington Post? "Our political discourse should be more civil than it currently is, and we all, myself included, bear some responsibility for it not being so."

January 19, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  30. charlie

@Daniel,
    It is difficult to understand why so many can only see one side.

January 19, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  31. Paula, Colorado

Sounds like a fascinating interview with Ricky Gervais.

January 19, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  32. Jon

I dislike reublicans very much and they deserve to be called nazis given that they called our president hitlar when President Obama did nothing to earn that name...The republicans should calm down and realize the propaganda that they showed towards the us Democrats and see who should really be complaining about harmful comments.

January 19, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  33. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Not good news for me teenagers break-in their home and stole dogs in Florida!!! What were they thinking???? Shame on teenagers!!!!

January 19, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  34. Mitch Dworkin - Dallas, Texas

While I think that Obama lost the messaging on the health care debate and while I understand why Rep. Cohen is so upset, what he said was highly inappropriate and there is absolutely no place for it in our national political dialogue in my opinion. I hope that Rep. Cohen will apologize on his own very quickly or that the Democratic leadership will force him to apologize if he will not do it on his own.

January 19, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  35. Eric from Memphis

Steve Cohen is the congressman from my district. I understand and echo the sentiment he was trying to convey, but I can't conscientiously accept the comparison he's using to make his point.

Assuredly, this is not something that he has said lightly or off-handedly; Steve Cohen is nothing if not thorough in his understanding of the things he says. If I could suggest something to the Congressman, it would be that he dial back the examples while staying on message. I agree, as do many of my fellow constituents, that there is an offensive track record of lies among the Republican party with regards to the tenets of the Health Care Bill which was passed.

I know my Congressman is trying to use extreme examples to stir outrage, and I applaud him for being willing to risk his reputation to say directly a concept that has been on the minds of a lot of Democrats. The timing of this choice of example is exceedingly poor, and I hope he will recognize it.

January 19, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  36. sharon

I think its great that after this many years the police are still looking–gives you hope

January 19, 2011 at 10:48 pm |