January 18th, 2011

Kids, Guns & Politics: Join the Live Chat

Child safety experts say doctors should ask kids and their parents about whether they have a gun in the house. So why do some Florida state lawmakers want to throw doctors in jail for doing just that? We're Keeping Them Honest. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lori

Samantha, I think that scientists currently believe these earthquakes happen in waves around the globe and are connected during certain decades.

January 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Paula, Colorado

It will be interesting to see why Dr. Laura is on the Ridiculist.

January 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Emily

Same here – I love Regis! He is a class act just like our Anderson.

January 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  4. lisal -canada

i'll miss regis – started watching regis and kelly randomly a while ago and found that i enjoy watching the banter when i do watch – glad to hear regis will still be around somewhere

January 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Stuart

Need to call this what it is. It's obvious the NRA is behind this law, with their rabid paranoia about anything related to guns. The issue here is that someone could create a list of homeowners with firearms because of these questions. That's the first step towards confiscating their guns, obviously, so the NRA calls in some favors and their indebted congressmen create a stupid bill like this.

January 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  6. Emily

Take that back – Baby Doc cannot buy his way out because there are reports that he is broke.

January 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  7. DAVID ARCENEAUX

Why is it necessary for the physician to ask a parent, "Do you have a gun in the house?" Why not simply have him offer advice on gun safety, pool safety, and seat-belt safety. Simply have the doctor preference his remarks with, "If you own a gun in the house, here are some safety guidelines I strongly suggest you follow." Why is there a need to 'note' on the medical record that this person has a gun in the house? I am not a card carrying NRA supporter – and I don't support carrying concealed weapons in public; but really, is there a hidden agenda here other than child safety?

January 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Karen, MN

I'm sad to hear the Regis is leaving Live. I love the show and watch it every day. It's hard to believe he is 79. The guy this has it.

January 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Lori

Heather, I also thought Baby Doc was a wierd name... especially for someone who caused so much trouble.

January 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  10. mike

Why should a Ped ask any questions that are not directly connected to a childs health and well being? These questions have no bearing on the childs health. Just another example of a group of people trying to impose their views on others.

January 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Sue R. Canton MI.

I'm not understanding what the reason was on the arrest of Baby Doc in Haiti. Or was he arrested? I heard on the news that he was released. I'm hearing that the young population in Haiti don't understand what took place during the Duvalier dictatorship.

January 18, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Emily

Sarah was using her 1st admen right – freedom of speech!

January 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  13. Samantha

Earthquakes, mudslides and floods...seems the whole world is experiencing the pains of natural disasters even more so today than ever.

January 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  14. Jo Ann, Ohio

How could anyone want to put Duvalier back in power?

January 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  15. Marguerite

Yet another big earthquake. It seems the last few years we are seeing more and more of them.

January 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Heather - Spokane, WA

When I first heard about 'Baby Doc', I thought they were calling him 'Baby Duck', then I started wondering if he waddled when he walked. He does need to be arrested and prosecuted for what he did to that nation

January 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Starr, formerly known as vincent

For thosee of us old enough to remember, "baby doc" was a nightmare of a dictator.
    Thank you Anderson for teaching younger people what the truth about "baby doc" is all about.
    I pray he either arrested and prosecuted or thrown out of the country.
    God bless Bob Duvall!

January 18, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  18. Ali Darwish

As a future doctor, I do not see any plausible reason to prevent physicians from asking kids or parents whether they have guns at the home. Prevention is indeed 'the name of the game' for doctors. If the question of gun ownership is necessary of a doctor to ask, then it would most certainly have a relevance in his/her particular diagnosis or prognosis. My first thoughts of this bill are ones of suspicion.

January 18, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  19. Emily

I'm glad that Jean-Claude Duvalier has been taken into custody. I wonder if he's going to be able to buy his way out?

January 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Kenya

And to hear Duvalier's return is supposedly being embraced by some is disturbing.

January 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  21. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Poor Haiti just can't get a break. So tragic

January 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  22. molly

I can't believe "Baby Doc" came back to Haiti. What was he thinking? Didn't he know he'd be arrested or something along those lines? Or is his self image so twisted that he thought the people would embrace him?

January 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Samantha

With Duvalier back in Haiti, I wonder if he waited until the statute of limitations (20 years) was over so he couldn't be tried for those heinous crimes of the past? The younger people won't know of this until the older Haitians explain this to them.

January 18, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Sharon Hastings

I don't think Baby Doc just showed up out of the goodness of his heart. There is some kind of plan here and I'm sure it involves money. Also, I thought he was to be arrested immediately if he every showed up there again.

January 18, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  25. ralph

SO what is the doctor supposed to d owith this information?

January 18, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Kaytee

Its so easy to understand why that lady could not finish out her term being govenor! She could not handle that and she surely can't handle anything on a national level. She can dish it out, but she can't take it!

January 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  27. Lori

Why would he go back? It sounds like he definitely deserves justice.

January 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  28. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Having read several posts, i think the "compromise" is for Pediatricians to advise parents that IF they have firearm(s),they should consider safe measures for lock and storage. The doc's should also inform parents about the amount of accidental gun death among children.

Then there is no need for the "law".

January 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  29. Emily

@Marguerite,
    The police likely ask if there are guns in the house, for their safety as well as those in the home.

January 18, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  30. Paula, Colorado

Sarah Palin's focus during the days after the tragedy in Arizona was just irrevocably off.

January 18, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  31. trisha

A doctor could discuss gun safety without knowing if a parent has a gun. It should not be against the law, parents should know gun safety rules whether they own a gun or not.

January 18, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  32. David

I live in Jacksonville, FL and just yesteday an un supervised 5 year old shot herself in the chest with a hand gun. She's recovering. The question is not about patient privacy the question is what is motivating our politions to put this bill forward in the face of all the other problems in florida they are not addressing.

January 18, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  33. lisal -canada

i often wonder what country-wide communications are like in haiti – it isn't like all the people in the tent cities and other remote areas can flip on their tvs or radios and watch the latest from the capital – a lot of information and misinformation must simply be "word of mouth" – with little verification

January 18, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Marguerite

When it comes to health care it comes down which side of the fence you are on at the time. One side is those that have health care (pay for it themselves or pay through their employer). Then the other side of the fence is those that don't have or don't want to pay through their employer to have it.

January 18, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Victoria Woods

How ridiculous to even spend an evening discussing this, how about discussing the stupid, irresponsible laws which allow people to walk into walmart and purchase bullets and or a gun? I live in Canada, guns are difficult to purchase here and yes, we have some loonies here too, however we have al ot less incidents of such senseless, violent crimes.

January 18, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  36. adriana

1st of all, I am a liberal... but I feel this whole conversation is completely out of context. Yes, pediatricians do have the right do advise parents on how to keep their kids safe from guns or other possible hazards. What I don't think they should be legally entitled to is to ask whether a family chooses to keep a gun at home. Second amendment is an highly volatile subject and should be kept out of our health care, period. It is none of his or her or the government's business. Advise yes, question, no.

January 18, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  37. Heather - Spokane, WA

With the U.S being so paranoid now on firearms in our country I guess we are going back to the old west era of everyone and their grandmother having a gun and shooting whomever they want. It sure looks like we are going back to that.

January 18, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  38. Dylan

This wouldn't be news if the manufacturers of household chemicals, backyard pools, kitchen knives, etc. had wealthy, powerful, politically-connected lobbies. But, they don't. The gun lobby, the NRA, and the politicians who financially benefit from the aforementioned entities are colluding to get this inane law passed. Their collective clout, of course, is also why we can't get any solid restrictions on guns.

January 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Marguerite

Down here in Florida if you report a neighbor having a family disturbance. If the cops come to talk to you about what is going on at the neighbors. one of the things the cops adsk you is do you know if they have a gun in the house.

January 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  40. Victoria Sijon

I am in shock and disgust over the law that would put doctors in jail and/or slap them with a $5 million fine for asking about firearms. The lack of common sense education in the home about safety risks to children should never be under estimated. It is the lack of this questioning, and the prompting to get parents to be pro-active in their childrens' safety is what continues the long list of kids who are killed or seriously injured by firearms and other "legal" yet potentially dangerous items in their home. WAKE UP AMERICA!! Adults are not the ones at risk. Our children pay the price. I can't think what I would do if my 6 year old daughter was playing at a friends house and the parents didn't properly store their firearm and my child was killed or injured. Totally preventable stuff. So... who are we protecting with this law, and why???

January 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Emily

@Kaytee,
    Offering "advice" seems like perfect common sense to me. Of course, unless the doctor has ulterior motives, which I suspect some are thinking.

January 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  42. Lori

Our pediatrician ran down a list of questions on our first visit so he could characterize what our household is like. It included questions about number of people living with us, kinds of pets, whether I work or stay at home full time and whether we have a gun. It was no big deal.

January 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  43. dan

i say this law is nuts. 5millions come on ppl. doctors should be able ask about guns in ya homes.
    wake up america!!!

January 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  44. jessie jackson

sorry, my wife corrected me, two months......

January 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  45. lisal -canada

i think it would be great if sarah palin ended up in the VP spot again for the 2012 ticket – that would be interesting

January 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  46. Sue R. Canton MI.

It's the Dr's job to treat the patient. How can they possibly control what going on in the home. I know people who have owned guns for years and family members never knew that they owned one. It's all about safety.

January 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Mike - Las Vegas

Republicare = no plan for health insurance reform. Just political theater, no substance at all.

January 18, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Katerina

I wonder if today Doctors would even have time to ask about guns,unless it was evident
    someone was shot.

January 18, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Karm

Shouldn't this be placed on a ballot for all Floridian's be afforded the opportunity to chose what our pediatrician's should and should not ask? I don't need one politician changing laws because of one individual. I think gun safety is the key to gun control (if there is such a thing). We can't control who has access to guns but we can do our best to advocate gun safety.

January 18, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  50. JoAnne Oakville Canada

I'm a Canadian and I haven't been to the U.S. in 10 years. I'm just too afraid of your gun laws. Isn't Florida who has the law "shoot first ask questions later"? I wounder how many others feel like I do? How much is this costing the state of Florida?

January 18, 2011 at 10:24 pm |