January 10th, 2011

Accused Arizona Gunman Appears in Court – Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, we'll have the very latest in the killing of a small child, a federal judge and four others; and the near-deadly shooting of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. We have new insight on the accused gunman who was in court today. We'll have all the angles.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Dimetrios Vandiegriff

If Sarah Palin loves nature and life, but hates violence then how can she go out with a rifle and shoot a moose? If that's not hypocrisy then what is....

January 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  2. Jen R

Someone who glorifies guns and hunting like Sarah Palin does NOT hate violence.

January 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Lori

Anderson, do we know how long the shooter owned that gun?

January 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Josie Bacote

What about the shooter's parents, didn't they know their son's behavior was weird.

January 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Jo Ann, Ohio

Anyone who could take a gun and shoot down a living creature cannot say they hate violence, they enjoy it.

January 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  6. Rose From Calif

Sarah Palin should of use the word vote, then!

January 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  7. Kenya

Disturbs me how people are so quick to finger point and play the blame game. How about some sensivity for the grieving bereaved first. Offer support before all else.

January 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  8. Kate

It seems Congresswoman Giffords put it best back in her March 2010 interview. Words have consequences. This is not pointing fingers but it should make us all think and try to be better and perhaps hold our expectations higher for the ones we give our votes to. We can choose who we support, listen to and what we think. We can do better. Unfortunately this will not insulate us from the sickness of mentally unstable people or the sickness of those just hateful and mean.

January 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  9. June

My heartfelt sympathy to the Green Family and to all the other families impacted by such an
    unnecessary tragedy!

A couple of months ago I entered a comment on this
    Blog about the toning down of the rhetoric displayed by certain groups of people, the media and our Democratic and Republican parties. ....I still say...the rhetoric must be toned down!!......

January 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  10. Marguerite

The last thing needed is mudslinging and finger pointing.

January 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  11. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think a mixture of everything, the rhetoric, the gun laws, the finger pointing, etc, has to do with this. We have the rhetoric about different things that go on in the government which has made alot of people either paranoid, mad, or scared and mixing that with the people that are mentally troubled, which makes them more troubled, and the fact that everyone can get a firearm it does not really make our country Disneyworld

January 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Emettress

@Heather – Spokane, WA

It seems to be breakdown of the schools identification of his mental issues, and also the parents irresponsibility thats at fault. When he dropped out, he should have been investigated and encouraged to earn his diploma, as should any American citizen.

January 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Carol,
    No. Not now..... they are no one to be interview by media. they are avoid media.

January 10, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  14. Sharon Hastings

What brave parents of that little girl. My prayers are with them. I am very happy that the President called them and the President is right. We should be pulling together in these times of tragedy and not focus on devisiveness but on prevention, intervention, problem solving.

January 10, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Kaytee

With the pres having a daughter close to that age, I'm sure he had some soothing words for that family. I'm sitting here with tears running down my face.

January 10, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Jay

In either an effort to protect constitutional rights or save money we have closed mental health hospitals and left the mentally ill without a safety net. These individuals are left without help and the public is left without protection. Clearly this man displayed all the characteristics of a schizophrenic: male, young twenties, rambling incoherently, playing with words & numbers, antisocial, and displaying great anger and paranoia. However, sadder, it the criminal justice system that is about to “handle” him without any attempt to recognize he is ill. Hmm. What a mess we have made. What innocent lives have been taken. His now included.

January 10, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  17. James

I don't believe this incident was politically motived beyond perhaps that Loughner didn't like the answer Rep. Giffords gave to his question a while back. It's unfortunate that there is no much finger pointing. The ugliness of the extreme right and left is so obvious among bloggers; perhaps everyone should look in the mirror. We get caught up in all that and leave behind our families; we then wonder why things go so wrong.

January 10, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Matthew Strickland

I agree that this man is crazy, but what is a crazy person?? They're just a person that is a little too obsessed with an idea.
    I believe that the recent arguing among politicians may have been the contractor that built the idea that this man went crazy over.
    Him being registered as independent is irrelevant. He was just trying to make whatever point his handicapped mind created; he simply jumped at the first opportunity he had to do this and it just happened to be the killing of Democratic representative Giffords that posed this opportunity.

January 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  19. ali

Thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families. I live in canada and getting a gun isn't that hard here either, but we don't have even close to the amount of violent gun crimes. I don't have the answer, but can only say that I don't fear for my safety whenever I walk outside at night or worry that my house is going to get robbed because I left the door unlocked

January 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  20. Lisa Wilson, CT

Tell the Greens that Christina will never be forgotten.

January 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  21. Emily

@Gustavo R
    "Has Ms Giffords handedness been discussed?"
    I have not heard anything about her personal case, however, It's been reported that she would be undergoing "handedness" tests(?) on a regular basis. She would be woken up to have them done.

January 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  22. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I wish the Greenes well, and I know that Christina will alway be near in their hearts.

January 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  23. Rose From Calif

I am a Democrat and I do agree both parties needs to stop blaming each other and start working together and get this country back on its feet.

January 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  24. CHARLIE

Christina's father was much more reasonable on CNN than he was on in FOX news where (without his wife) he stated that he did not want the legacy of this to be controls on "our freedoms". Making a case against gun control or defamation laws.

January 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  25. Sue R. Canton MI.

Listening to Christina Green's parents bring tears to the eyes of so many. I don't know how their holding together with all thats happening to them.

January 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  26. libby

Carol- the FBI have been interviewing them.

January 10, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  27. Joan

Instant background checks are just not good enough-nor are our gun laws. Each and every new tragedy attests to this.

Learning about Christina Green, a 9/11 baby, a beautiful 9 year old child and now deceased is unspeakable heartbreak.

When and how will this kind of thing ever stop?

January 10, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  28. carol

Has anyone interviewed Jared Loughner's family?
    do you know anything about them?

January 10, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  29. Rose From Calif

Maybe this will help put our country together again. Christina will always be remembered. May God be with you and your family.

January 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  30. libby

Mike@Syracuse, you never know. The Congresswoman's progress could surprise us all. Let's hope so! 🙁

January 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  31. Nicole The Netherlands

Sounds like Christina would have been one of the next policians of the United States.
    My heart goes out to her parents and brother.

January 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  32. Mary Ann

First, condolences to the victims families and the families of those who were wounded. Having lost a daughter at 9 years old, my heart is with the parents and family of Christina Green. I heard all weekend that the shooter was a fan of Mein Kaumpf. Tonight, Anderson said something about Gabrielle's rabbi. Could that be the motive??

January 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  33. Deb. G NY, NY

Tell him we will not forget.

January 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  34. Emily

Seeing these photos of Christina and at age 9, she had so much promise for her future.
    How very tragic. Her parents are understandably proud of her. Having an interest in politics at age 9 is really great. She sure lived everyday of her young life, didn't she? (riding horses, to having an interest in politics at 9!)

January 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  35. Gustavo R

Has Ms Giffords handedness been discussed? This may be relevant to the nature of the cognitive sequelae she may experience.

January 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  36. Lori

Anderson, that was a great question about Christina's legacy.

January 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  37. Jo Ann, Ohio

Christina's father doesn't seem to have changed his mind about guns, but I wonder if Rep. Gifford, a proponent of gun ownership, will be changing her mind about them now.

January 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  38. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Anderson, thank you so much for covering the life of this little girl, Christina.

I am heartbroken that anyone was murdered, however, it is always beyond tragedy when children are murdered.

I think her parents are incredibly brave to give an interview at this time. To me, it is a testiment to how much they love her that they want us all to know Who she was.

January 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  39. Marguerite

The parents of the 9 yr old girl need privacy to grieve.

January 10, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  40. Mugabe-Pittsburgh

Hi AC,

It is very sad to see such bad thing happen to such nice peole. I think the Fed Gvt should do something to control the gun. it is easier to buy gunner than buy any medication. you can't buy any meds off count without Rx.

it is very sad.
    We are praying for those who lost their love ones and those who are in critical condition.

January 10, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  41. Deb. G NY, NY

@Pam thank you for expressing what I believe a lot of people are thinking and feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with all Arizonians.

January 10, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  42. Rose From Calif

I feel for them very much, I can't imagine...I hope I never do.

January 10, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  43. Lisa Hardee

There was a journalist who received a head wound in Iraq. Sorry, but I can't remember his name. Is there any way to compare the head injury he sustained with that of the congress woman?

January 10, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  44. Sharon Hastings

@Mary: I agree wholeheartedly. Most people are not aware that the processes for intervention in these cases has been in place for some time. Another need is for public awareness especially for teachers, etc. about how to go about getting a person help and if they refuse or that fails, how to proceed to get them emergency help.

January 10, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  45. Daniel

I think the laws should be strict on possessing a Gun, Probably the law should demand citizens to pass drug screening and psychological test from a Doctor in order to buy a gun.

Good Job Anderson.

January 10, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  46. Heather - Spokane, WA

Christina sounded like a very smart and bright little girl. I am so sorry for her parents, no parent should have to bury their child

January 10, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  47. Gary Foster

My heart goes out to all the familys touched by this tragic event...impossible to reason out... love G.F.

January 10, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  48. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

My daughter is a cop. A fellow cop was shot in the head 2 years ago in the line of duty. He's mentally OK but is partially paralyzed on one side. The odds of 100% recovery are slim.

January 10, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Christina Green was so amazing girl, she wanted be politics, so young only 9 yrs old, she was born on Sept 11, 2001........ So sad for her parents, Anderson and I was so sad for them, our heart goes out to her parents John & Roxanna............. her life so short.

January 10, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  50. Joan

Learning about Christina Green, a 9/11 baby, a beautiful 9 year old child and now deceased in unspeakable heartbreak.

when and how will this kind of thin ever stop.

January 10, 2011 at 10:38 pm |