January 10th, 2011

Accused Arizona Gunman Appears in Court – Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, we'll have the very latest in the killing of a small child, a federal judge and four others; and the near-deadly shooting of Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. We have new insight on the accused gunman who was in court today. We'll have all the angles.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. sherri warnes from Canada

Sanjay you rock. You really explain things to us in laymans terms Thank you

I have not heard anything about his parents. Has anyone interviewed them?? They must be devatated. I know I would be.

Anderson, thanks for you personalization of the other victims. There were 6 dead after all not just the judge or the congresswoman.

January 10, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  2. christine

The discussion about the horrific Arizona shootings should focus on two things: 1. The easy access to guns and ammunition, which of course puts them in the hands of criminals and those with mental health problems.

and 2. The sad state of mental health care in our country. Even though we have laws which mandate parity for mental health care with that of physical care, it still does not exist. Those of us who have family members with mental health issues know the difficulty of obtaining proper care that is affordable. Insurance companies make us jump through hoops to get the psychiatric care we need for our families.

January 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  3. sherri warnes from Canada

Sanjay you rock. You really explain things to us in laymans terms Thank you

What about this guys parents, I have not heard anything about them. Has anyone interviewed them?? They must be devatated. I know I would be.

January 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  4. Sue R. Canton MI.

I will never understand how so many young and mentally unstable people can own the type of weapon like Jared had. Had he of been able to reload that magazine I can't imagine how many more victims there could have been. I'm a firm believer of the 2nd ammendment,but I think the laws need to be changed on the type of weapon that certain people are allowed to have for protection. Maybe I'm wrong,but its how I feel right now.

January 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Pam re: Anderson's reporting on the story in AZ – very well said! There are few jounalists as non-biased as Anderson. He waits to get the facts on a story.

Hello Nichole, JoAnn & Casey, great to see you all on the blog tonight with excellent commmentary as always.

January 10, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Jason Whitaker

I believe from the pictures i've seen that there is a dramatic change in mental health. Has anyone hit upon that or thought about the transition from normal high school student to murderer? The pictures themselves show a dramatic change from normal to disturbed.

January 10, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Emily

What are the odds for Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords to have a relativity normal life again?
    I've heard that this will likely effect her speech, thoughts, putting together sentences, etc.

January 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  8. La Toya

Even if Jared's Parents or the Pima Community College had tried to have Jared committed back in September, it would not have mattered. Part of the problem is in the State of AZ when you want to have someone like Jared committed involuntarily, by state law he can only be held for up to 48 hours.

January 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  9. Heather - Spokane, WA

Hopefully Rep. Griffin has no damage to her brain

January 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  10. sherri warnes from Canada

@Kate

He looks really creepy. I wonder if they have said anything about his parents.

January 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Tanya

I pray and hope the Congresswoman and other victims fully recover. I especially hope Rep. Giffords does not obtain a brain injury. I pray and hope for healing for the witnesses, heroes, and family members.

Obviously the shooter has mental issues, hope he gets the help he needs.

January 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Rose From Calif

Hi,Anderson and staff...

Sad, this little girl, I have a granddaughter who wanted to see how government work, also. We went to City Hall. This could of happened anywhere even there, in City Hall.

January 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Roberto Martinez-Tucson

Anderson, Good Evening and thanks for another great show.

This is a time where all of us regardless of faith, political affiliation or race need to pull together. This is what makes this country the greatest of all.

Giving the victims the honor and attention they deserve at this time is what the media ought to be doing and this show is the perfect venue.

It's hard to pay attention to anything else when the Tucson community is grieving. Thanks Anderson for the coverage and the personal touch you deliver. It is very much needed.

January 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  14. maggie

It's scary to hear the former students say that he had that same sick smirk on his face during class. I would have failed miserably with someone like him sitting in the same room. It's a sad, sad time for America.

January 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Pam,
    Thanks for your kind comment. Yes. they are doing great job at Tuscon...... I agree yours, Thank you for watching AC 360!!!

January 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Jo Ann, yes Theo and before him Pim Fortuyn, shot in the head. He was going to win the elections with his new party
    Both killed by people who considered them as an threat to either islam or the Netherlands in general. To me not so sane people. Insane is a better word for people who act that way.

But there is one thing most of these people have in common, they didn't get these ideas solely by themselfes, unfortanately.

January 10, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  17. michelina calderaro

all my prayers and thoughts are with all especiallly the 9 year old and all that were taken, and the congresswoman gabby god speed life is very precious. may god bless all in az.

January 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Oh, that sweet little girl, may God bless her!

January 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Kate

Wondering how I will be able to sleep tonight after seeing Loughner's mug shot... truly eerie.

January 10, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

On Loughner: any history of psych hospitalization or history of mental illness in the family?

Cessy,
    Only one son Jared. Not his family.

January 10, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Pam

Anderson – WOW – what an excellent job you and your producers are doing tonight reporting this story – I really appreciate the time-line and first person accounts of what ACTUALLY happened in the shooting rather than ridiculous accusations and politicizing this story. What is really moving is how the American people who YOU featured helped to support one another in the face of tragedy – this is what we, as good, compassionate, decent American people are all about, and I'm glad you showcased that tonight on your show. You are truly one of the only REAL journalists on American television in which you report what is actually happening, without bias. Thank you for remaining true to your profession and maintaining the integrity of journalism.

January 10, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, Ohio

One of his teachers said that he was afraid to turn his back on him to write on the board.

January 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  23. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Anderspm. exce;;emt point about the mug shot...it is truly creepy and inappropriate to smile given what he had done.

January 10, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  24. Kathleen Roebuck

This message is for Daniel Hernandez: I know what it is like to intervene and make a difference. You are an everyday angel. Please don't diminish what you, Pat and everyone else did to stop what was happening. You are all everyday angels. Hold this in your heart for the rest of your life.

January 10, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  25. dolly

Hi Anderson
    Thank you for your fair and unbiased views. we great fans

January 10, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  26. Gina

Thoughts and prayers to not only the families who lost loved ones from this vile act, but to all of Tucson through this difficult time.

Many prayers from Arkansas.

January 10, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Welcome Cessy! 🙂

January 10, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, Ohio

I heard that the shooter has been doing nutty things for years and that he was expelled from at least one college.

January 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Annemarie

Sounds to me like this man is a paranoid schizophrenic.His obsession with language fits the profile.How sad for all victims.This is such a needless tragedy.

January 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Elise

Did campus police notify Tuscon police about any of the 5 incidents with Loughner?

January 10, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  31. Heather - Spokane, WA

We do need to make the gun laws tougher. I know that it is not the gun that kills, it's the person, but we need to make it harder for certain people to get guns, especially the mentally sick, kids, and felons. It is way too easy to get a gun, it is like getting candy.

January 10, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Cessy - Chicago

January 10, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Mary

@Sharon Hastings...thank you for your informed response regarding reporting someone who is mentally ill. I think that colleges should be required to report any student who is asked to leave for reasons of mental illness. I don't think we are doing the person with the illness nor the rest of society any favors by ignoring the problem. The argument can be made that when someone is incompetent and a danger to themselves or others, it is imperative that the authorities intervene.

January 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Bessie Antonopoulos

Bravo Anderson for those respectful, and beautifully written biographies on each of the victims. Since Saturday I had only heard of Congresswoman Gabby and the Honourable Judge, while the other victims remained in the shadows as 'un-named' victims. I often wondered of the other families who lost their loved ones. I once again hold you in the highest regard Anderson for your thoughtful and respectful reporting..well done once again

January 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Roger

I hope this shooting will make people come together to stop the violence in society

January 10, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Emily, there are some reports that he was refused by the Army due to a failed drug test.

January 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Deb. G NY, NY

Thank you for focusing on the story. Providing all sides and reporting the facts without rhetoric like you always do. I am a huge fan. By the way, I loved the hero special you did. We should focus on the victims and the families in this tragedy. Hopefully we can have a civil debate about how to move forward.

January 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  38. mike k

This is a horrific tragedy in this community as well as the country. I am a Tucson native and have witnessed countless acts of senseless violence in our community. I attend pima college and am on the route to become a grief counselor. I was at work when i caught the news and it really broke my heart! This incident has caused me to re evaluate my home town and the profession in which i am pursuing. My sister was murdered a couple years back and i instantly felt what the victims surviving families would be going thru. My families prayers and wishes are with all families victimized by this heartless, senseless crime. God bless these poor people!

January 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Mary Ellen

This event is horrid. I flashback to other shootings of this nation and worry over guns and mental stability questions. Hm....

January 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  40. Sue Dondelewski

I have been watching your coverage, Anderson. What a horrible thing has happened. I feel that there should be much tighter gun laws. If there had been, this killer wouldn't have been able to buy the gun that killed six innocent people and injured so many more. He had shown so many people that he was very unstable and nothing was done about him. So sad... All are in my thoughts and prayers.

January 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  41. Paula, Colorado

My thoughts and prayers are with all those involved in the tragedy. I hope Congresswoman Giffords continues doing well.

January 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  42. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

There are reports that he had made previous death threats to people and was reported to the Sheriff's Department. True?

January 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  43. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Nicole The Netherlands, I think you are speaking of the tragic murder of Theo Van Gogh by an Islamic terrorist.

Unfortunately, it has become a way of life here in the states. I am not sure why.

January 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  44. Sharon Hastings

I understand the frustration and the need to blame. I wish we could learn from these events and approach them as a problem to solve. First, whether we like it or not, it's almost impossible to stop the lone gunman who is bent on a shooting spree. But we can not only pay attention to the prior signs of illness in someone, but ACT on them. Also, it is far too easy to get a gun in this country. Once armed, the choice to kill becomes a real option.

January 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  45. michael clarke

That poor little girl.I think she is of more importance in this time of sorrow.lets celabrate her life.

January 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  46. Cessy - Chicago

@ Meghan: Thanks! I've been glued to CNN and a lot has been mentioned about the victims, Mrs Giffords, the shooter but not so much about the other ones who were taken to the hospital. just wondering..

It's good to hear that there were people who were quick thinkers durind that horrible moment.

January 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Lori

I can hardly look at his picture. It is creepy and haunting....very disturbing.

January 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Barb loren

There is no place to "report" people who act crazy, unless they are breaking a law. The community college did what they could by informing the parents. You can't legally force someone into treatment,if the family doesn't want to do anything about it.

January 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  49. Heather - Spokane, WA

The only way someone can have anything on their record is if they have comitted a crime. Being nuts unfortunately is not a crime

January 10, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  50. Merle Lonstein

Hi everyone.. I wonder if his parents had medical insurance to get him the mental health care he needed?

January 10, 2011 at 10:20 pm |