January 7th, 2011

"One Person Death Panel" - Join the Live Chat

She's being called a one-person death panel. Arizona Governor Jan Brewer and her budget-cutting decision that leaves nearly a hundred people who need organ transplants high and dry. A number that's shrinking because people are dying. Critics call her a one person death panel. She's defending her decision and we're keeping her honest. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lori

Billy sounds totally fed up.

January 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  2. CHARLIE

@ Marguerite.
    Yes I agree. But in a modern democracy there should not be anyone who does not have health care. Most modern democracies have that situation and they spend a fraction of whta the US does on healthcare.

January 7, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Nate

I think gov Brewer is going back on her oath to defend the consitution of the US which is required by article 6 of the constitution before taking office at federal or state level. She is violating the 5th amendment which states no person shall be deprived of life without due process of law.

January 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Wow! They got to get out of Dodge too?

January 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Marguerite

BP should pay through the nose for the oil spill.

January 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Lori

That oil looks like a mess.

January 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  7. gary

I'll bet if a one cent a gallon on gasoline were implemented for healthcare, the Gov't would realize Millions of dollars that could be used to help pay for health insurance.

January 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Chi

Those sisters' story has definitely a happy ending. Wish them the best.

January 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Evelyn

What amazes me is how quickly the gentleman from Illinois found 26 ways to cover the shortage.
    I have a brother who got Hep C in 1973 when donating blood and is in need of a liver transplant. I hope Brewer is never in the position she has place these people in.

January 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  10. Emily

How often do States make these deals?
    (Donating an organ as a condition of release from prison)

January 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Shawndra

I am a nurse and I never thought I would see the day when politics could kill. So, is Gov. Brewer going to be charged with manslaughter or negligent homicide. Personally I think criminal malpractice fits the crime. Maybe we can find the Mississippi judge who sentenced two women to life for less than 40 dollars to oversee the case against Gov of Arizona.

January 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  12. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I wish the Scott sisters well into a new journey of life.

January 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  13. Lori

@Emily: People need to put time into planning meals as well. A balanced diet takes planning.

January 7, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Doug LaChasse

I just lost my partner of seventeen years. He had been on the kidney transplant list at Vanderbilt University in Nashville TN. for 5 years. Unless you've lived with and been through all that it takes to survive in this situation you can't even imagine what it's like. It's individuals like the governor who need to get their priorities straight especially this governor who is no more qualified to hold office than dirt.

January 7, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  15. Solo

I just want thank you for your great job Anderson on the patient weighting for transplant. You are a true journalist . Keep it up the good work.

January 7, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  16. Heather - Spokane, WA

I do think the Scott sisters recieved an unfair sentence for their crime. Happy to hear that they are being released so the one sister can get better because of the other

January 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Karoline, Los Angeles

It's good to hear good news stories about justice gone wrong.

January 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yay!!!! I am so thrilled for jail sisters freed!!!! Need transplant their kidney....... Nice reunion sisters together! 🙂

January 7, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  19. Lori

Their mother must be so happy!

January 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  20. Emily

@Lori,
    "Fast food is so much easier"
    That's the fact right there.
    More people need to put "time" into making meals. Many prefer "Fast" food as they see it as "easier".

January 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  21. Barbara Sherrill

Yes everyone, I am sickened too, and I have to live in this state. In my Ph.D. we are studying about governance and representative democracy. This is not representative for me. Brewer is diverting millions of dollars to her friendly privatize prisoner corporation, so to round up the minorities and put them in jail.

Where is federalism at a time like this? These people's Constituitonal rights are being violated! Please step in President Obama! I wonder if a willing attorney or law firm would consider a class action law suit against the State of Arizona on behalf of this group of people. Please step forward. This is about human life!

This state is regressing this country.

January 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  22. CHARLIE

@ Brenda
    Exactly right.
    But the cost in Canada for that healthcare is a fraction of what the US pays. At 16%-17% the US spends almost double wnat any other country spends.

January 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  23. Marguerite

@Charlie There are people in Canada that say Free Health care is the pits. I have a friend in Scotland. She has told me more than once that Dr. there and in England do not recognize a lot of diseases that are recognized here and people suffer because of it.

January 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  24. Saera El Paso, TX

I agree we need to take better care of ourselves, but if you approach people in the way that Mr.Nugent seems to think necessary they will not listen. No one likes broken records and no one accepts anyone speaking to them in that manner. Also, what of people who are the victims of accidents or congenital defects? I'm sure they face many of the same problems as those who simply can't or won't take care of themselves.

January 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  25. Karoline, Los Angeles

Has anyone told Nugent all that red meat he's eating is bad for his arteries? Just a thought.

January 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  26. Lori

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse: Okay, a salad is low cost; however, where is the beef? Lean meat?

January 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Paula, Colorado

It's been great hearing Ted Nugent's commentary this week.

January 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Mainul - Belleville, NJ

Yes American should be more health conscious but how can republicans defend repealing health care bill where in Arizona there is "One Panel Death Panel" exists from their own party?

January 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Karen, MN

My sister didn’t make stupid choices to get breast cancer. She is also on steroid every week to help her deal with chemo. Steroid causes people to gain weight. I think Mr. Nudget is lucky to have never been sick.

January 7, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Nice reunion!

January 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  31. gary

Aren't politicians elected by the people FOR the people?

January 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  32. Roy Mark ramdas

Anderson, I am so heartbroken for the gentleman that was on your show tonight, named "Douglas" who is dying. I cannot believe the this Governor would not find another way to get this man, & all the people who need these transplants, the help they need. This really is almost a crime to me, because there HAS TO BE ways to take funding or money from something in the state of Arizona, to help all of these people. I am very sorry to say, but This governor has blood on her hands already from the patients who have died, & she will have more if anyone else passes like this in vein. How sad, God bless you for spotlighting this very serious problem that is going on. PLEASE PLEASE continue to speak about this on your show, & keep the pressure on her to change this terrible atrocity that she is committing, to these beautiful, & innocent people. I am shocked, outraged, and heartbroken that something like this, even exsists, especially in our beloved country. Thank you Anderson, GOD Bless you my friend. 🙂

January 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  33. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Lori, A salad cost no more than a Big Mac. It IS about choices.

January 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  34. CHARLIE

@ Marguerite. Yes but only in America.
    On the subject of healthcare every other modern democracies does what it can to elimiate that inequality.
    And those societies live longer and healthier than the US which only rate 37 in the world on health outcomes.

January 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  35. syed naqvi

I respect what you are doing to save those 96 people lives Anderson,any how I would like to ask Governer of arizona if she was on that paitents list,whould she still be trying to save that money the state.or to save her life.I canot beleive its happening in USA.

January 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  36. Sharon Hastings

Of course we all are supportive of better health habits in our country, but in the meantime there are plenty of skinny families too who need health care coverage and don't have it. Ted has gone round the bend.

January 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  37. Lori

Too much processed food.

January 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  38. Lori

Fast food is so much easier and cheaper. Taking care of yourself takes planning and money

January 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  39. CHARLIE

@ Laurie
    Exactly. But it is only the US amongst modern democracies that allows insurance companies to put them selves between patients and the healthcare they need.

January 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Lori

Kids have to get good food and be educated about nutrition at school as well as at home.

January 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Karoline, Los Angeles

This message that people are sick because they don't take care of themselves is negating all the millions of people who experience accidents, have genetic conditions, come down with environmental diseases, come down with stress-related diseases from working 2 and 3 jobs to survive, and simply get some conditions because their bodies are aging.

January 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I don't want repeal our healthcare, No way..... I am tired of that law change...... I want my healthcare back now!

January 7, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  43. JoAnne oakville

I'm still shaking my head about the 2 deaths in Arizona. What happens in America is none of my business but I will puke the next time someone says "America is the greatest country in the world". Believe me .. it isn't.

January 7, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Marguerite

@Charlie There are two sides of the fence to the health care debate. One side is those that have it already. The other side are those that cannot afford it. Neither side is going to agree with the other.

January 7, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Lori

Proactive health care!

January 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  46. Emily

@CHARLIE,
    "This is the same as everytime an insurance company denies coverage."
    I think that people expect that from an insurance company ... not the Governor of the State.

January 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Brandy Green

This is beyond sad would it be optional if it was someone in her family

January 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  48. David Sidwell

What about the Doctor can't he cut his fees...why is it up to taxpayers to pay....itsn't there other people who could help out also..?????

January 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Laurie Smoot

I's be curious to know the chance of survival for each of the nearly 100 who no longer qualify. With my employer based insurance, I would not be able to afford 100,000.00+ life saving treatment either, so I have a hard time feeling empathy.

January 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Yalonda

I'm appalled by the decision of Gov. Brewer. Is this the United States or are we living in a third world country?

January 7, 2011 at 10:19 pm |