January 5th, 2011

Journal: Autism-Vaccine Study Was "Fraud" – Join the Live Chat

Tonight, breaking news and a 360° exclusive. You've heard the scare stories about vaccines and autism..
Now evidence the study that started it all wasn't just mistaken, it was out and out fraud. A stinging rebuke to the medical study that terrified millions of parents about vaccines and autism. We'll bring you the breaking news on the study and confront the one time doctor who's behind it. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. lisal -canada

i really feel for the jackson family – having to go through this once must be excruciating – to seem to be reliving it again, and in public, must be so very difficult

January 5, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Michael Higgins

When you ask him the question if he felt guilty about the children that had died because they were not vaccinated. He never said not to get vaccinated he said that you should get the vaccines separately. There is Mercury in the vaccine as a preservative. I was always told as a kid that is one of the most toxic thing you could come in contact with.

January 5, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Mario Robles

The vaccine link to autism, I think you can be answered quickly. Make a study on all the children who have not been vaccinated, ask the parents if their children have developed autism. If any have developed autism the study would be proven false. the science community has 12 years of childern to follow up on. Thank You.

January 5, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  4. Linda Hamilton

Could differences and/or changes in reporting and compiling stats on autism by physicians also account for the recent rise in numbers of "report" cases? Great interview with the doc who claims to be the victim of an international James Bond plot

January 5, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Nina

So glad to see this made more public. This is by no means breaking news but it is nice to hear it discussed by knowledgeable individuals including doctors, scientists, and investigative journalists. The reason why people, including many mothers, the main caretakers, believe the vaccine link is because people like Oprah invite uneducated, uninformed celebrities like Jenny McCarthy to share their points of view instead of talking to real doctors, researchers, and scientists. It misrepresents the actual understanding of true health issues when you give the platform to cranks instead of real doctors.

January 5, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  6. Michael Higgins

I find it interesting that you never the let the Doctor finish his statements, yet you let the other people talking about the subject actually do just that.

January 5, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  7. Warren Albert

I have never heard asked or discussed whether any research has been done re: children who have not taken vaccines and whether their incidence or autism is less or the same as the population who have taken vaccine.

January 5, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  8. Doug C

Do religious communities that do not allow immunizations have the same incidence of autism or are their rates lower? If this has not been looked into it should.

January 5, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Marlene Petta

Mercury is also found in many fish, usual not ocean, but lakes. I was told during my pregnancy, living near Lake MI, not to eat any fish for that reason. It may very well be in ocean fish as well and may be responible for the increase in autism, but I do not know that, but that mercury definitely has many neurolical implications.

January 5, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  10. danielle ernst

My son has autism and he has all his childhood vaccines. Find a cure, stop debating what doesn't cause it.

Danielle

January 5, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Shannon knall

The contents of vaccines are toxic to people with alleriges or auto immune deficiencies. People allergic to formaldehyde have an allergic reaction to the formaldehyde in vaccines.

For dr, guptha to say that vaccibes are safe because he vaccibated his kids on time and on schedule is irresponsible. We dont understand the long term effects of vaccines intonthe causation of additional disease; diabetes, PANDAS or alzheimers. Dr wakefield may not be 100% correct but he is on to a link between vaccines and disease. Toxins cause disease. Depending on the recipient, the live virus in a vaccine or the heavy metals in a vaccine could negatively impact a person, triggeing any number of reactions including autism. This is not an open and shut case.

January 5, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  12. Georgia

What is the "overwhelming evidence to the contrary" that Dr. Gupta refers to?

January 5, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Ked

As a parent of a child with Autism, and as a proud 1st time dad taking a weekly/monthly video of her growing up from birth till she was diagnosed...i am 100% confident to say that vaccine caused her autism.

January 5, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  14. danielle ernst

There are many reasons that parents choose not to vaccinate their children, please don't blame all the childhood deseases that are popping up again on autism families.

January 5, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  15. Barbara

I am in the camp with Dr. Gupta that we don't really have all the answers yet. I would like to see Mark Hyman MD on your show. His book Ultramind Solution which questions the multiple dosage vaccine that have mercury in them as a preservative. I believe there is more to learn about this issue. Don't stop covering this issue. Thanks

January 5, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  16. terry fleetwood

how many children that have not been vacinated have autism

January 5, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  17. Ivette Dobarganes

There was a measles breakout in Granada, Spain last month that affected 24 children, one pregnant woman and an infant that was hospitalized for some time. It all began in a school where a group of parents decided not to vaccinate their children with the MMR because of this supposed link. They are asking for the single Measles vaccine instead of the package. The way if affected the surrounding community was astounding in this day and age when MMR epidemics should be all but extinct.

January 5, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Russ

I think what causes autism is Neuronics we put it on everything which weakens the immune system and neuronics is used in Bayer, which no tests to see long term effects.

January 5, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Tracey

There is a conspiracy with the pharmaceutical companies because if the goverment were to admit this was the cause of autism then they sure would be in huge trouble and profits would be out the window for them and really thats what they are all about they don't care about health they care about dependancy on medication to make profit and it's not the vaccine itself it's the mercury content in it to preserve the vaccine so they can give more than one vaccine in a shot instead of individual vaccines which they do this because to save money it always money in the end

January 5, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  20. maria b

i wish there were some kind of study on the effect on kid`s immune systems of introducing sometimes as many as 8 different pathogens at a time. forget autism for a moment; what else happens? what is the immune response? does immunity develop? i had both my kids` titres tested for mmr immunity and neither of them were immune to all 3 after receiving the vaccine. i called merck and they said they were actually studying the efficacy of the vaccine. i think we should go back 2 no more than 2 pathogens at a time over longer period of time. it would end lots of debates.

January 5, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Marlene Petta

That's why the "doctor" is in Jamaica. Any where else he would by now criminally charge. And you bet the mercury in shots given before 2001 is very dangerous. Any doctor back at the time or nurse who provided vaccines before 2001 would always say, in the US, that 1 out of 100 patients in every injection that there can be serious risks. And that was also true with each and every injection, which increases probability back then much geater. I had a flu shot prior to 2001 and was told by neurologist
    that it was the mercury that caused my Guillan Barre syndrome, which was fortunately not deadly in my case but has that potential in many patients with that syndome, if the paralysis, which I did get in many parts of my body for many months, gets into the heart.

January 5, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  22. Matt Proietti

My grandson has autism. Let's say I accept that it's not related to immunizations - then what is causing the massive increase in diagnoses? This claim was around when my children were born in the late '70s and early '80s - Dr. Wakefield didn't start this dialogue. And Anderson, yes, if it is the immunizations, public health officials would have something to worry about - thousands of possible lawsuits from parents of autistic children.

January 5, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Nathan

Anderson please don't rule out the possibilities. A friend of mine's son got the vaccine. The parents noticed an instant change in personality. The parent attempted to sue the company who created vaccine, but was told that because of the Patriot Act, they were not allowed to file a lawsuit. Evidently, something was added into the patriot act act that prevented them to sue. This is serious and science may never be able to explain it. The child was diagnosed with autism days after the vaccine was administered. I can put you in contact with the people if you would like?

January 5, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  24. Amanda B

My boys are good proof of this study being true. My son went to a Traditional GI doctor in Texas. The GI told us his Bowel Issues was "a classic case" of Autism Intercolitis. If "all" medical professionals see this as a fraud then why was he given this diagnosis? My youngest son is now on a delayed vaccine schedule. Its interesting I pushed the doc and guess what? She told me which ones "she" thought were not as necessary!!!!

January 5, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  25. Nathan

January 5, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  26. Mike

Should this guy be put in prison? This mass hysteria to not immunize children that has caused so many to become sick it's criminal!!!

January 5, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  27. Amy

Thanks for finally bringing this to the public, I am a pediatrician and I have been trying to tell my patient's parents that the study data was manipulated for years but somehow no one ever believes me. You should also note that multiple studies since have found absolutely no link between vaccines and autism. Now if people will focus their energy on finding the real causes of autism.

January 5, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  28. deane

Doctor Wakefield made a very compelling argument against your (pretty much unsubstatiated) attacks. I hope you do some follow up programs and get to the many bottoms. The guy being interviewed is quite the shill. Guess we'll see what falls out of the pockets eh if you're up to it?

January 5, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  29. Alifaz Cobb

I am the mother of an autistic child and I believe that when doing research about autism the answer is not in the vaccines. My child was born autistic of that I'm convinced and as parents of these beautiful individuals we should focus on other causes so that we can be helped in the right way.

January 5, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  30. Gordon Downie MD, PhD

I have researched this topic for over 9 years, if you remove yourself from the dogma of organized medical groups, that can't qualify as non tainted evaluators by their own criteria they apply to pro vaccine damage researchers, you will see that the research that claims to prove the safety vaccine is more flawed than the researcher you are slamming tonight.

All you need to look at is the rate of autism in large non vaccinated populations, I.e. The Amish, to see there is a sub set of children that are harmed by vaccines. Why do you fail to recognize the possibility that a multiple-billion dollar industry would not try and discredit any anti-vaccine research.

January 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  31. Kimberly

Thank you for reporting extensively on this topic. Perhaps parents withholding vaccines will think twice and protect their child from devasting and fatal viruses. Autism, like many other neurological disorders, is misunderstood with an idiopathic etiology. Parents of special needs children often feel the need to blame something or someone for their child's illness as part of their grieving with a new chronic illness diagnosis – these parents were misled and Mr. Wakefield shamelessly decides to promote his book instead of apologizing. He should face criminal charges.

January 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  32. Donna

Anderson...Our grandson was perfectly normal until a "lightswith" was suddenly turned off right after receiving his immunizatons at age 3 years...there is NO DOUBT in our minds that the shots "triggered" the autism. After 18 yrs if hard work, he will start college next year, with Autism that he was NOT born with.

January 5, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  33. Olivia wilde

How many children have died or been ill-affected through vaccinations? How strong are the drug companies behind these allegations against Dr. Wakefield?

January 5, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Peggy

Thank you Dr. Gupta for letting the guest complete his explanation. I appreciate that! It is so hard to hear when both guest and host are talking over each other.

January 5, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  35. A. Smith

My child has Autism. And, yes, she did get vaccinated. I spaced them out, never giving more than three different diseases at a time. She got sick with each and every DTaP vaccine. She got a high fever and was lethargic. Now she is three and non-verbal. And, we are doing everything possible to help her.

January 5, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  36. Charlotte Curry

My grandson, now 6 yrs. old, after receiving the MMR twice, broke out in a rash and ran a fever of 105. On the way to get his vaccine, he, while eating a lollipop, said "I eat candy". Those were his last words. He was later at 3 yrs. diagnosed with Autism. We found out after investigating, that he had not one MMR, but two! Bad mistake by the dr.s office, but too late for us!!!

January 5, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Paula G.

I am a school psychologist who works with autism every day. This increase in autism is worth looking at everything.

January 5, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Grace

I have a brother who, 24 hours after receiving his vaccinations, started having seizures, and has had them for the 8 years since them, and most likely will continue to have them for the rest of his life. Anderson Cooper doesn't realize that the pharmaceutical companies are BEHIND these allegations against vaccinations, because this man is a threat to their business. Don't listen to the ones who make the vaccines, listen to the ones who have seen first hand what they can do to children, and have to see their children struggle through life because of these medications.

January 5, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  39. margaret Galligan

Anderson listen to this man, I am a grandmother of 4 three with autism. Three with vaccines, one with none and she is developing normally. All three developed intestinal problems prior to regressing. There is a reason Dr. Wakefield is being destroyed "money".

January 5, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  40. Paul Charette

Anderson,

After my son had an immunization at age 3 months of age I can assure you immunizations cause serious disorders in children. We are immunizing children way to early in life.

January 5, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Byran

The issue here is less to sway moderates who are trying to make up their mind on vaccines, and more towards trying to convince an entrenched group that clinging to their "leader" is not just foolish, but downright dangerous to not just themselves, but society at large.

January 5, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Manda

Why are people shocked? Look at the number of kids who get vaccines & don't get autism vs. the number of kids who get vaccines & do get autism. IF there had been a link the number of kids getting autism after getting the vaccines would be greater.....

January 5, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Genevieve Kohn

From the moment I heard the results of this "study" years ago, I had trouble believing it. I pray that the ridiculous fad of not vaccinating our children will now be a thing of the past.

January 5, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  44. Brenda

Dear Mr. Cooper....I am sorry but I agree with Dr. Wakefield and I do believe vaccinations have a link to autisum. I have a niece who has been diag. with autism. I feel our goverment would NEVER admit to the fact. Thank you for listening and I think you would feel differently about autism if you had a child with it.

January 5, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  45. David peabody

Andrew Wakefield and his anti vaccine ilk constantly misrepresent the facts about vaccines. People should be informed about vaccines and how effective they are and how small the risks they represent are in comparison.

January 5, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Tati Chin

It's a shame we are not able to believe anything these days. Parents desperate for an answer, much like Jenny McCarthy, look up to doctors such as this man for valuable research. If we can not trust doctors who conduct "studies" such as this, who can we trust?

January 5, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  47. Jack in Newfoundland, Canada

There are many frauds in the world, and this appears to be another one!! Too bad people, particularly Children are affected.

January 5, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  48. Michael

Could these vaccine be responsable for other medical conditions such as OCD ?

January 5, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  49. Tracy

There are a number of things that could cause a person to exhibit signs of autism. I have never believed that vaccines were the sole cause of autism, however, they COULD play a part in some cases. Like many other mental diseases, it's probably caused by a number of factors: diet, chemical imbalance, environment, how the brain is wired, genetics, etc. It's not fair to people who are autistic or to science to blame the cause on one factor. What Wakefield did was selfish and a disgrace to medicine.

January 5, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  50. CHARLIE

But it is a fact that the US gives children many more vaccines (three time more than Sweden) than any other country and has much higher incidence of all sorts of allergies and disorder..
    I doubt that this is as simple of one vaccine one bad outcome.
    I am quite certian though that the drugs industry has not conducted the research into the interactions of all those drugs.
    The US health exploitation industry is very successful at selling drugs by exploting natural health fears, but achieving very poor reuslts compared to other countries.

January 5, 2011 at 10:09 pm |