December 29th, 2010

Flying frenzy. Who's to blame? Join the Live Chat

Tonight, keeping them honest. How is it that some airline passengers who took to the skies for Christmas won't get home until after New Years. Breaking news tonight. An American aid worker held in a Haiti jail for 18 days on charges he used voodoo on a little boy is free tonight. We'll have the latest. And in our Extreme Living series we're looking at what drives people to push themselves to the extreme, not for survival, but as a way of life. Tonight we're interviewing a 14 year-old climber who has scaled 6 of the 7 summits, including Everest at 13.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sue R. Canton MI.

The Rediculist= My Goodness ,,how can it be possible that you can find so much history on the internet that just isn't correct and how can Homer be so incorrect about history.( Too funny. I guess we can all write a book and get our information from the net).

December 29, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Kaytee

She's not a historian, but she's writing history books for schools???

December 29, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Kaytee

The continual rewriting of history!

December 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Sleep well, stay safe. Great Ridiculist tonight. I do worry about what our children are learning in school. We will all hope for no more big snowstorms.

December 29, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Nina

Good Night Randi-Kaye Megan and other bloggers. Have a wonderful evening and week

Great program!

December 29, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Lori

Good night everyone! Sweet dreams.

December 29, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Randi, Gary, (Anderson), Megan, Susan, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha,others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    That's so silly I like ridiculist many internets & more, LOL! So funny Randi, Thanks Randi!!!!

December 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Heather - Spokane, WA

'Two and a Half Men' is also an ethically bad program too

That is pretty bad when a school textbook has so many incorrect facts about history! 'DOH!'

Have a good night everyone

December 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Lori

Sad history lesson. Internet research? Hmmm.

December 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

How does a book like this get published? Who is the publisher? And who reviewed the book before it got into schools?

December 29, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good night everyone.

I wish you All a safe and pleasant day tomorrow and always.

December 29, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Those TV shows from the 50s were extremely sexist.

December 29, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nina,
    I agree...... It is very scary one I have seen Mt. Everest, it is very high climb to hard walk. Good point.

December 29, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  14. Sue R. Canton MI.

Wow ,,That is extreme living when a 13 yr old climbs to the top of Mt.Everest. I don't think I would allow my child to live that extreme. I'd worry about his safty when it comes to such extreme conditions like that.

December 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  15. Heather - Spokane, WA

After he has climbed all of these summits and there is no more summits, what will he climb then?

December 29, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Lori

Amazing boy. Very articulate for a 14-year old.

December 29, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Nina

@ Megan Dresslar – Shoreline, WA
    "I can't wait forward 2011 new year..... I hope we need change our jobs, education, healthcare, and economy, too."

Well Stated, Megan! I completely agree

December 29, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jordan Romero is best climber on MT. Everest and others, he is so young man I have seen......What a brave for Jordan, Only 14 yrs old!!!!! Wow! Congrats Jordan! 🙂

December 29, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Heather - Spokane, WA

Jordan Romero knows how to live! I have heard that climbing a summit like Everest takes alot of positive mental motivation to get to the top because it takes so long to get up there and with the dangers it has

December 29, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  20. Nina

Climbing Mt. Everest is scary! It is amazing how they can breathe without oxygen even at the lower elevations! He is an amazing 14 year old!

December 29, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Sharon Hastings

Wow. Thirteen years old doing all that. It's good to see a young person in the outdoors enjoying real life and not just sitting in front of a computer experiencing virtual life.

December 29, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  22. Sue R. Canton MI.

@Meagan Dresslar,,,I agree with you. I hope that 2011 is a better year.

December 29, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  23. Nina

@ Ryan Colpaart
    Traveling during the holiday season in winter along northern US always has its difficulties. If people do not like the delays, then possibly travel a different time of year.

December 29, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Nina

@Heather – Spokane, WA
    I agree. I believe there is a lot of "blockage" by those in real power in Washington; therefore, President Obama must do a lot of negoitations and have to accept some areas he cannot pass in order to get others passed. I would Never want his job!

December 29, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  25. Ryan Colpaart

"Who" should we blame? How about "what" should we blame? I believe it snowed a metric ton

December 29, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Helen

Before Health care he was nothing, after healthcare he was great. Before 2010 election he was a loser after the election, he is the comeback kid. MSM is suffering from split personality disorder. I will say it again, until sept 2012, everything we are talking about is useless.

December 29, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Nina

@Charles
    My understanding is that the Pilot has the final word as he/she is the one flying the aircraft!

December 29, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  28. Heather - Spokane, WA

Yes, Obama has not done things he said he would and he has done things he said he would, but it does not make him a bad president if he doesnt do what some people want him to do

December 29, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I can't wait forward 2011 new year..... I hope we need change our jobs, education, healthcare, and enocomy, too.

December 29, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  30. Kaytee

Me too Nia!

@CHARLIE
    "O'donnell looks and sounds a lot like a younger version of Palin. If she does not have proof of that accusation then she is even less honorable."

Excellent statement! I totally concur

December 29, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  31. Charles

I would much rather have an airline make a decession not to fly into bad weather than listening to FAA say the mistake was piolit error because of a serious plan crash!

December 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  32. Sue R. Canton MI.

I think that President Obama is trying hard to get our country out of the mess that we were in (and still are in) when he was elected. But I worry and wonder if his changes are going to take our country in the right direction.

December 29, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  33. Nina

@CHARLIE

Excellent statement! I totally concur

December 29, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  34. CHARLIE

USA had a bad year. Because the rest of the world saw that even with a good president the money politics of the USA prevents real change.
    Compare the UK where a new government can and must make the changes they were elected on.
    Oh and 5 years late they are 100% accountable for the outcome.

December 29, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Kaytee

And O'Donnell blames the administration – how original.

December 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Nina

President Obama has been harassed more than any other president! Governor of Hawaii now willing to produce his birth certificate. When has this ever been a question of any other president? NO

December 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

YES!!!!!! I love the polls!!!! *Whew!* Approve 73 percent and disapprove 22 percent!!!!

December 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Helen

I am in the wrong business, I should have been a pollster so I can poll every stupid things every minutes. Polls mean nothing until sept 2012.

December 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Nina

@ Heather – Spokane, WA
    The danger is with deicing the wings of the airplanes. A little too much ice could be disastrous. That is a bigger issue than clearing the runways

December 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  40. CHARLIE

O'donnell looks and sounds a lot like a younger verison of Palin .
    If she does not have proof of that accusation then she is even less honorable.

December 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Heather - Spokane, WA

Does it really surprise anyone that O'Donnell found herself more trouble? She has been getting herself in trouble since she started running for office

December 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Aaron in Traverse City

I am an administrator at a collegiate flight school in Michigan. The problem is that aviation used to be one of the most professional industries. Now it has gotten to be like everything else, too much for the buck and no common sense( both regulators and companies). It was at one extreme before de-regulation and now it is at the other end of the spectrum. My hope is that we can get back to the high standard and a proper balance soon. It is the only industry I can think of where the customer pays for something that you may or may not get.

December 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I wondered what happened to the charges that Christine O'Donnel used campaign funds for personal use.

God bless Gary Tuchman, he tried. (He's one of my favorite reporters).

I don't know why i am surprised at her charges against the Obama administration mis-using the FBI.
    I think Ms. O'Donnel may be headed for real troubled without mis-use of the FBI, but mis-use of her campaign monies.

December 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  44. CHARLIE

Wow. If that accusation by O'Donnell was made in the UK, She would have to either prove it in court or face criminal libel charges.

December 29, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  45. Sharon Hastings

I wondered what happened to those allegations on O'Donnell. I thought they would get around to having a formal investigation. Now she is claiming abuse by those democrat thugs.

December 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!!! What a mess for Christine O'Donnell!!!! OUCH! Oh my goodness!!! I am so shocked.

December 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Nina

@ Carlos
    It must be very difficult for you waiting at the airport. I just think the airlines are completely overwhelmed and possibly do not have the personnel available.

ODonnell reminds me of Joe Walsh (R-IL) who just hired a lobbyist for the position of his "Chief of Staff"

December 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  48. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Nina, quite honestly, I haven't heard anything about flights today but we have recieved alot of snow today and it is still going strong right now, I think we are already at a foot of snow, maybe more. I would not be surprised if we have flight delays but our airport is good about clearing the runways

December 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Sue R. Canton MI.

I'm still not understanding how the Hatian authorities held Paul Waggoner for turning a little boy into a zombie. I hope he leaves the country as soon as he can if he's not guilty of anything. I feel sad for most of the people of Haiti. I guess desperate people can to desperate things. Its' a sad situation.

December 29, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  50. Geoff

I paid for a ride from CT to NYC. I did so after checking that my flight was 'on time'. My flight was finally cancelled about an hour before it was due to take off. I have a hard time believing Jet Blue did not know of the high probability of the impending cancellation.

I wound up paying for a ride back to CT, and will pay for yet another ride back to NYC again, five days later. So, my money and my time have been wasted. If they could have let me know earlier, i could have at least saved my money and the time it takes to go to NYC and back.

December 29, 2010 at 10:21 pm |