December 21st, 2010

9/11 first responders left waiting: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, the lawmaker known as Doctor No, Senator Tom Coburn may end up single-handedly saying no to thousands of 9/11 first responders. We're Keeping him Honest. The author of a how-to guide for pedophiles, previously sold on Amazon, is in jail tonight and he's speaking out. And, in Crime and Punishment, the mysterious and tragic death of a toddler, a cold case solved.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Cathy

This is an absolute no brainer-there should never have been a question of developing funds for the responders of 9/11. I would love to be able to pick and choose where my tax dollars should be spent. Could you imagine all the problems we could solve as a whole nation? Give the power back to the people-politicians would be amazed how we make a big difference.

December 21, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Sharon Hastings

@Robert. Thank you for your post. My heart goes out to you and all the first responders. Your words are a powerful reminder of the necessity for the passage of this bill. My prayers for your recovery.

December 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  3. Emily

Congratulations to NCIS for solving this case. Cassie was "slammed"? That's such a cruel, heartless, evil act.

December 21, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Janet

I totally agree Anderson and Dr. Gupta rock and I would be proud if Senator Anthony Weiner were my Senator. I believe we owe this to these heroes for their unselfish service to us.

December 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Robert DiGiovanni,
    My thoughts & prayers with you. I hope you will be bless by heaven father, Get feel better soon.

December 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Nina

Shaken Baby Syndrome is very common. Many people do not realize how much damage shaking a baby can do. Many feel because they did not hit the child, there would be no damage. Very Sad

December 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Emily

Randi Kaye's story here is SO sad! Cassie was so cute. A former Marine did that?

December 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Starr, formerly known as vincent

God Bless you Robert, for working at the 911 site.
    Be assured, that i intend to scream at my Sen.s & Sen Coburn tomorrow very, very loud via phone & email.
    Me and my family & friends thoughts and prayers will be with you as you fight & hopefully win your battle against cancer.
    Do not loose hope,please.

December 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Morgan

Why wasn't there 1 person on the show that knew about the 9/11 health care bill? The guest on the phone said it's not funded. That seemed to be her only point. It is funded, the details were given early today – on CNN. And the funding was changed to accommodate the GOP request earlier in the year. It's not helpful to bring up an important issue without having anyone that knows anything about it speaking. It's even worse when they provide false information.

December 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Josh

If a poll were taken right now of just Sen. Colburn's constituents, how many would agree with him, and vote the same way? Is he really a voice for them, or just pursuing his own agenda?

December 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Jim

Robert Di, our thoughts are with you. As Americans, we cannot thank you and the other responders enough and for Coburn to hold things up is shameful.

December 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Cindy Ingram

Here's a comment for you . . . I am single and have a mortgage I can't pay on a home I worked for over 25 years because I was laid off in July. But, I will gladly give my home to the cause of helping one of these people who showed up in the line of duty on 9/11. These people deserve more than what most would do for their pets. Give me a break. If you were a member of an office, fire station, police force, etc., etc., at ground zero, whose position was to protect others, you get health care – period. What is so freaking hard about that? The money can be "found". I can't tell you exactly where because a reasonable person can't trust any source of information because either the supplier is "running" for office or "in" office. You guys better watch out – your actions are congealing the masses.

December 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!!!!!! Awesome Shaquille Neal conductor take baton as music!!!!! Cool!

December 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Emily

@Robert DiGiovanni
    "I am a NYC firefighter who spent 80 days on the pile."
    Thanks for everything thing that you did. I think it's an outrage that yous were all lied to. It really is disgusting that the Senate is dragging their feet and not passing the Zagroda bill. I hope it gets passed ASAP. Thoughts and Prayers are with you in your battle with cancer.

December 21, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Robert, bless you and hang in there and get better! Thoughts and prayers to you

December 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  16. Libby

Robert DiGiovanni – thank you for sharing your experience at 9/11 here. I hope and pray for you to get healthy soon, and for the bill to be passed asap! 🙁

December 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Jackie, FL

What a shame, the first responders should be taken care of. I knew the air wasn't safe at the time, there was noway the government could have known that the air was safe at the time, yet they went ahead and said it was safe shame on them.

December 21, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  18. Heather - Spokane, WA

You would think after all the problems the Spider Man show has had and now the accident they would have shut it down before when they knew about the problems

December 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  19. Sharon Hastings

Oh that's terrible about the actor falling. Spiderman sounds like a dangerous play to perform. My thoughts and prayers go out to him for his recovery.

December 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  20. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Kim – excellent post on Rep.s & Dem's and broken "checks & blances".

@Nina – thank you for your response to my post.

The Shot: Excellent, and O'Neil did a great job too!

December 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Sue R. Canton MI.

I'm happy to hear that Congress did pass the food safety Bill.

December 21, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  22. Martha

I think that "Dr. No" aught to lighten up and let this bill pass. These 9/11 responders are dying, have died, and WILL die until they are able to get the treatment they need. If this Scrooge can't let this christmas gift to these real heroes, he will be responcible for their continued suffering and death. Love the James Bond reference, by the way!

December 21, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  23. Heather - Spokane, WA

I'm glad the situation in Michigan was finally taken care of. Please keep us posted on what happens after they go to court about this!

December 21, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  24. Steven

It seems incredibly disingenuous of Sen. Coburn et al. to complain that the 9/11 first responders bill is "unfunded," when they just en masse demanded an unfunded multi-hundreds of billion dollar tax cut that is also unfunded. They must really think too we're stupid to see that their overall strategy is to balloon the deficit and then scream that we have to cut all sorts of social services to bring that budget under control.

December 21, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  25. Nina

@Jim
    "Maybe as a doctor, Coburn took the "hypocritical oath".
    Well stated lol

December 21, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  26. Natalie Cornell

The woman Senator from NY said the 9/11 bill is paid for so that lady doesn't know what she's talking about. It is unbelievable that we would turn our backs on the first responders of 9/11. They just passed a tax cut for millionaires! Pass this bill!

December 21, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  27. Steve in Canada

Freedom of speech should not be subject to lines drawn in the sand. If that Church that goes around with the anti-gay signs at military funerals is ok under the freedom of speech than a book full of words should also be covered under freedom of speech.

I my mind they are both equally revolting but a nation with freedom of speech is not democratic.

December 21, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  28. Robert DiGiovanni

I am a NYC firefighter who spent 80 days on the pile. I later contracted non hodgkins lymphoma. When Christie Todd Whitmann told us the air was safe. Then in 2003 we find out she was lying and the courts ruled the EPA can lie to the American Public to return things to "normalcy". I just want my life returned to normalcy. Pass the Zagroda bill.... Bye the way I just relapsed and am fighting my battle with cancer
    sincerely
    Robert

December 21, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  29. Anne Kenmore, WA

A financing plan has been presented, so please challenge any guest who says she(he) has no idea how it will be funded.

Also, I am dumbfounded that possibly 80 legislators have left for home.
    I wonder who they are and hope CNN will tell us, along with party affiliation.
    This is Tuesday of a work week; most Americans are hard at work!

December 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  30. Libby

I'm glad Anderson brought attention to that assistant general attorney in Michigan!

December 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  31. John

It's a sad day when we have elected officials that have such huge egos that they cannot step back and do the right thing, even if they may not be 100% on board with it. The only interest he is serving is his own and he doesn't have the guts or integrity to step back and do the right thing. Simply amazing that the man became a doctor and a politican. Perhaps he should take the bar exam and he will be truly a triple threat to all what decent, common sense Americans have stood for for hundreds of years. Shame on him, shame on our system and shame on our President for not stepping up and ending this embarrassment for all the decent, honorable fellow Americans. sorry so long.

December 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  32. Leif Damstoft

I do not understand why the American voting public accepts and encourages such hypocrictical and disgusting tactics that the republican party has openly said and done to derail the government on anything since they lost the election in 2008. They talk about doing the will of the peole yet disrespect the people that were elected to produce that will into action. This Senator is a liar as has been shone, the bill was in committe and in his commitee. He didn't show and hasn't said anything to correct his lie. That's a republican for you. Lie enough and it becomes the truth to who ever hears it.

December 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  33. Jim

I am outraged that there is a concern about spending $6B for 1st responders but no worry about spending hundreds of billions to extend the tax cuts for the top 1-2%. Maybe as a doctor, Coburn took the "hypocritical oath".

December 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  34. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Sanjay...."CNN was infront of " the story of Amazon and the pedophine book.
    YES CNN was out in front and thank God!
    and YES, CNN viewers, for the most part, do Want ACCountability!
    I want to thank CNN for being out "in front" of many stories, especially AC360...i can say i would not have known about the Amazon pedophine story, or the one on Chris Armstrong either!

December 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  35. Emily

@Sue R. Canton MI.
    "Phillip Greaves seem to be very arrogant."
    I agree with your statement. It seemed like he was looking for 'supporters', or 'to be told it was okay to be a pedophile'.

December 21, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  36. Kim

I am so angry and frustrated with this situations. All people ill from assisting in the recovery effort of 911 need to be automatically provided medical care. This is an outrage. While congress, senate and the President passed legislation to bail out Wall Street, the banks, automakers, continue the wars of Irag and Afghanistan and more, our own people are always left to suffer.

Someone please tell me why?

I say fire Democrats AND Republicans! I so tired of their game playing, fraudulent ways. The American Legislative System was designed to be used as a vehicle to pass laws for Americans, and not anything else. Our checks and balances are NOT working. We need to amend our laws providing an updated view of reality now.

Thank you for listening.

Kim
    Dallas, TX

December 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  37. Joan

Anderson rocks as does Dr. Gupta!!!
    What we need is a clone of Anthony Weiner and remove people like Dr. No from the Senate!!
    ALL Americans should stand behind this long overdue bill. These people did the job and are now sick. What more do we need to know. Who the .....cares where we find the money. I say get er done!!!

December 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  38. T Kara

Being a senator of such conviction perhaps Sen.
    Coburn should explain his position directly to those first responders, presently in need of
    assistance. Would like to a segment on that

December 21, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  39. Nina

Starr, formerly known as vincent
    " I don't know. I don't know How One Man can be allowed to stand in the way of a bill that is supported by the majority of the Senate, House and the American people."
    I completely agree. I wonder why other elected officials do not stand up to this man. Excellent statement!

December 21, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  40. Sue R. Canton MI.

Phillip Greaves seem to be very arrogant. I'm not sure ,but he seems to be admitting that at one time he was a pedophile.

December 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  41. Emily

Andrew Shirvell really gives me the creeps too.

December 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I don't believe what Phillip Greaves said!!!!!!!

December 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  43. Nina

I hope they hold Amazon accountable for the sales of book which depicts child sex abuse!

December 21, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Emily

@Mike – Las Vegas
    "I hope the voters of Oklahoma remember the shameful conduct of their Senator."
    I REALLY hope that many are calling his office in support of this bill.

December 21, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  45. Phil

Dana Loesch has her facts wrong. We know how the 9/11 bill is funded and it is deficit nuetral, paid for by closing a job killing tax loophole for foreign corporations. Keeping them honest?

December 21, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Heather - Spokane, WA

I do not believe any of Philip Greaves' answers to the questions asked to him. For someone to write a book like this he had to have done everything that he describes in his disgusting book

December 21, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  47. Archie E. Webber

Shame on Tom Colburn!!! Are these the same people who voted for the Bush unfunded wars and tax cuts.

December 21, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  48. Lori

I now understand what makes Greaves an expert on this topic.

December 21, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Matt

How can Republicans claim their concerns over paying for the 9/11 health bill are legitimate when they were not at all concerned about paying for the tax cuts for the wealthy, which was nearly 100 times more expensive? Perhaps the lady from BigJournal could offer an explanation...

December 21, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  50. Nina

Tolerates and welcomes are Not Synonymous in my book!

December 21, 2010 at 10:19 pm |