December 20th, 2010

Pedophilia Advocate Under Arrest: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, the author who advocates pedophilia is in jail. Philip Greaves, arrested at his home, today, in Pueblo Colorado. Deputies from Polk County Florida crossing the country to bust him. The charge, obscenity, after they say he sold them a copy, purportedly his last copy, an autographed copy, of his book, "The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure: A Child-lover's Code of Conduct." We'll bring you all the details & tonight's headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, Ohio

If the first amendment allows people to encourage others to abuse children, then it needs to be changed to protect them.

December 20, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  2. David

I agree with the Sheriff! Not only is he a sick man but he violated Florida laws. This man needs to be put away for life!

December 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  3. Jonathan Ogboroge

As offensive and repulsive is this story by this purportedly author. Watching the Polk County Sheriff and Jeffery Tubbin talkin, I have a question for the Sheriff. If the Author was say Europe, would he or she have been arrested, faced extradiction to Florida?

December 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  4. Dan Healy

The person requesting the smut if anything should be arrested. If anyone....

December 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@RobN66 – although you may feel this pedophine "needs help", you may not be aware that there is no truly successful treatment for pedophilia.
    Administration of hormones, re-training of thoughts, etc. have Not been proven to be successful.
    The numbers on return to pedophia behavior (re-offend) are very High.

December 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  6. Bryan

Unfortunately the "attorney" on the left is flat wrong regarding whether "written" depictions of criminal behavior is illegal. It most certainly *is* by evidenced by CURRENT federal lawsuits against various defendants who ran *text only* fantasy story websites about certain subjects. If *text only* depictions are considered in violation of the *federal* obscenity laws, then this book clearly can be in violation as well.

December 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Molly

There's such a clear distinction here between understandable indignation and legality. The sheriff, however well-intentioned, is simply wrong.

December 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Quinton

The fact is that the federal law is to be upheld over Florida's and since he did nothing wrong Constitutionally I see no crime except the moral one.

December 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Nina

@Emily
    "What about people who write a Biography, and their story includes sexually abuse?"
    Discussing their sexual abuse is quite different than a "How to" sexually abuse a child!

December 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  10. anastasia

how do we know that he wasnt a pedophile before and thats how he was able to write the book?

December 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Sue R. Canton MI.

I believe in the 1rst ammendment and our constitution. But sometimes I feel people like Mr Greaves are abusing it.Of course we want protection of speech, But come on,, you have to draw the line somewhere when they write books on how to harm children and get away with it.

December 20, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Tina

Amazon should be fined for promoting this type of material to be sold on their site. I once had an account with Amazon, but now I have deleted the account. They should be fined big time.

December 20, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, Ohio

I think they should turn in the names of those people that bought these books. They need to be watched.

December 20, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  14. Emily

December 20, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  15. Jo Ann, Ohio

Haven't people been charged with crimes based on words alone?

December 20, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  16. Sue from Syracuse

Goodnight. I have to leave early tonight.

December 20, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  17. Nina

@ Sharon Hastings
    "Clearly his idea of what can "harm" a child is not what most people believe."
    I would suggest what all people believe except for Pedophiles.

December 20, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  18. Yusuf "Andrew" Akyol

My concern isnt so much him (hes in jail and has a spotlight upon him), but who are the people that have purchased his book? It could be a neighbor, teacher, a mail man. How many have been sold? it is illegal to purchase pedophilia, ok fine-however this is an instruction book that teaches these people how to do so, it also gives these people the courage to do so, and will eventually be the cause of injure to countless children. I would investigate everyone who bought a copy of this disgusting book and immediately question them!

December 20, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  19. Sue from Syracuse

Like others here, I have stayed far from Amazon. Not even giving them a hit!

December 20, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I am hopeful that our Toobin is wrong.

I hope that FLA law will trump so called "free speech" in this issue.
    Isn't is Wrong to write "how to" commit Any crimes?

December 20, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Lori

If it is real life story, then isn't a confession?

December 20, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  22. Joseph Savitsky

Can there be a prosecution for incitement to commit sexual acts, which would not be proscribed by the First amendment?

December 20, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  23. Nina

Would this NOT be covered under the 1st amendment because it deciphers how to endanger children?

December 20, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  24. Sharon Hastings

@Nina: I completely agree with you about Mr. Greaves and others like him trying to "normalize" themselves and their behaviors. Clearly his idea of what can "harm" a child is not what most people believe.

December 20, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Emily, "Was 'Amazon' fined for selling material(s) re. pedophilia?"

Good point. If they weren't, they should be.

December 20, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  26. Shana

Good. He should be in prison for advocating criminal harm to children. He has the right to say what he wants as well as the right to suffer the consequences of his speech.

December 20, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  27. Sue from Syracuse

Good to see Dr.Gupta.

December 20, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  28. Sue from Syracuse

Promoting criminal behavior is/should be a crime by itself.

December 20, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, Ohio

This is the downside of freedom of speech.

December 20, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Sue from Syracuse

Congratulations to Anderson for shining light on this messy topic... getting the issue to surface.
    Glad to see the guy got caught.

December 20, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  31. Sue from Syracuse

Good evening Anderson and fellow blogger friends!

December 20, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Philip Greaves was wrong thing to sell his book to Amazon!!!!!! Unacceptable behavior!!!!!!

December 20, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Yusuf "Andrew" Akyol

The true question is will this cause these sicko's to rally and/or become "turned on" from all the hype and subcontiously cause them to commit an act described in his book?

December 20, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  34. Emily

Was 'Amazon' fined for selling material(s) re. pedophilia?

December 20, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  35. Sue R. Canton MI.

Nice to see you on the show tonight Sanjay.

I agree with you Sanjay. This Philip Greaves is a creepy man. He seems to be a bit proud of his new fame. I hope they pull the rest of the books out there that are like his.Every state should have laws against this.

December 20, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  36. Leanna Cannafax

The only thing a pedophile needs is "The Guide to Jail: A Sicko's Hated by Everyone".

December 20, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Starr, formerly known as vincent

My guess is that this pedophilia book is Not covered by free speech.
    It is a book on how to committ a crime.
    I have kept my promised to boycottt Amazon and have Not purchased a thing!
    I still stick by my feeling that this book is a "how to commit a crime" book!

December 20, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    I agree with you........ I am glad he is in jail now!!!!!!!!!

December 20, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Yusuf "Andrew" Akyol

I have two young daughters; I hope that these charges stick! I live in Florida and its good to see our law enforcement taking out the dirty dirty trash

December 20, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Sanjay and fellow 360ers. Happy Monday before Christmas. I think they'll have a rough time convicting Philip Greaves. I'm disgusted by him and his writings but I'm not sure the book itself is a crime. I'd love it though if it was.

December 20, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Nina

Philip Greaves and other Pedophilias will always cognitively re-construct the situation to make it more palatable so their behavior will be OK in their eyes. I think Amazon is outrageous allowing sales of this type of reading....

December 20, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Sanjay (Anderson), Megan, Susan, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!

Hope you have great weekend! 🙂
    Happy Monday night!!!

December 20, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  43. RobN66

FL set him up, while I feel this man is sick, and needs help. CO should not have arrested him, on what FL done. They are the one's that ordered the book from him, he didn't contact them to do so. They ordered it, read it, now arrested him. HOW crazy

December 20, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Sanjay & Team 360.

Hello, Nichole, Nancy, Megan, Emily, JoAnn, Nina, Sharon, Samantha, Mike, Casey, everyone...

Looking forward to a good show tonight!

December 20, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Lori

Not suprised that this one is in jail.

December 20, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Emily

Seeing that interview with Philip Greaves trying to explain himself, I'm glad to hear that he's in jail!

December 20, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  47. Emily

Good evening Dr. Gupta, 360°Team, Jo Ann, David, Megan, Nancy, Nicole, Gloria, Casey, Starr, & Bloggers!

December 20, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Lori

Hi Dr. Gupta! Hello Everyone!

December 20, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Nina

Good Evening everyone

December 20, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening everyone.
    Looking forward to the show tonight.

December 20, 2010 at 10:00 pm |