December 8th, 2010

Opinion: Democrats, time to stop railing at tax deal

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://cnnpoliticalticker.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/t1larg-uscapitol-1207.jpg?w=640 width=300 height=169]Editor's Note: The opinions expressed in this blog are solely those of Gloria Borger.

Gloria Borger
CNN Senior Political Analyst

So I clearly remember one morning last summer when the issue of the Bush-era tax cuts came up during a breakfast with a top Democrat. I naturally asked what the party's game plan might be on extending those tax cuts. Would they make the issue of tax cuts for the middle class a centerpiece of the fall campaign? Or would they punt until after the election?

The Democrat's answer: We're not sure. (Shocking, I know.)

As it turns out, the Democrats actually did both: They had a go at the class warfare (GOP holding the middle-class tax cuts hostage for tax cuts for the wealthy) argument. Then they punted and didn't vote on the issue before the election.

So when the Democrats angrily declare President Obama a sellout on the issue of taxes, last summer comes to mind: If it was such a touchstone for Democrats, why didn't they vote on it before the election?

The real answer is they didn't have the votes. Scared moderate Democrats were balking at any votes to raise taxes. Oh, and one more thing: House Democrats didn't trust their Senate brethren to pass it.

So nothing happened.

And now, as they rail against Obama's compromise with Republicans (who, by the way, will have a lot more votes and control of the House next year), how about this thought: Where were you last fall?

Read more...

Filed under: Democrats • Gloria Borger • Opinion • President Barack Obama • Raw Politics • Taxes
  1. Jose

What happened to the DREAM act news. The house passed it and what about the Senate and how close is the vote for Thursday?

THIS is IMPORTANT news! Please cover it!

December 8, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Shari from Madison

I agree with this. I'm not thrilled by the fact that the wealthy will continue to get tax cuts, but Obama doesn't have any other choice. The repugnant republican's, who are owned by the wealthy and who treat the middle and lower classes as peons, would not agree to any tax cuts if their owners didn't get them too. And it is the only way to get continued financial help to the unemployed. So democrats, as this column says, accept reality. Increased taxes for you may not make much a difference, but they sure would to me!

December 8, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  3. John.Tobiassen

Related – Some are complaining that giving the Rich money won't stimulate the ecomony because they will just stick the extra money in the bank. At the next press conference, Obama will recommend a stimules package for small business by giving banks capital so they can loan money to small business. Wouldn't giving the Rich some of their own money back so they can stick it in a bank do the same thing?

Or does Obama want to control how and to whom that money is loaned?

December 8, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
  4. Jordan Fesperman

I agree with the Moderate Democrats

December 8, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  5. Brenda Pancratz

Obama is to weak, he is selling out.
    He is going to end up with both sides against him. (though I dont beleive in this side stuff, it needs to be whats right stuff.)

I think he has a hidden agenda (and I voted for him, I'm concernd.

December 8, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
  6. penny

"Pres. Obama's decision with tax cuts was the right one because Congress, Gop, and the senators are an example of a sheep. Everyone knows that sheep are stupid animals. They have to be lead to graze, etc. If you read the 23rd Psalm, you have to understand that we can not let wolves destroy our way of life. It would have been chaos, because people would not have unemployment fees and their would be no money being pumped into the economy. The GOP and the Republicans are greedy wolves who want the US and our PRESIDENT to fail."

December 8, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
  7. Kenneth Close

I am glad that some one else is tackling the Dems vs tax cut issue they had their day last summer and passed the ball 4th dn..

December 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm |
  8. Sandra H. Jordan

I was very disappointed in President Obama, compromising for the republicans, and leaving 99er's like myself out to dry. I have been unemployed for two years. My unemployment ran out in June 2010. I am now on public assistance. I had to go to landlord tenant court, because I could not pay my rent, and I was about to be evicted from my home of four years. I only receive 55.00 a month from public assistance. My credit card bills are backed up, collection calls come in daily to harrass me.

I am equally disappointed in one of your commentators who stated that 99er's need to look into job training, as the deal with the rupublican's did not include them. Job training is fine, and I am going to school, but what do I do for money? Where do I get the money to pay for gas to get to school? How do I pay my car insurance? My telephone? My life insurance policies? 55.00 a month isn't going to cover the above exspenses.

I have to give 91.00 of my G.A. to pay for the rent, which only leaves me 55.00 for the entire month. Where is my help? Like BP's former head Hayworth, I want my life back. A tier 5 is needed ASAP.

December 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm |