December 7th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Elizabeth Edwards dies after long battle with cancer

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/05/12/lkl.edwards.transcript/art.edwards.cnn.jpg caption="Elizabeth Edwards, the estranged wife of former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, died Tuesday after a lengthy battle with cancer." width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Elizabeth Edwards, the estranged wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards, died today after a long battle with breast cancer. She was 61.

Tonight on 360°, we'll look back at her life. You'll hear from family friend John Moylan, who is Mr. Edwards former campaign adviser. Anderson will also talk with Larry King who interviewed Elizabeth Edwards many times.

Edwards died at her family home in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, according to a statement released by the family.

"Today we have lost the comfort of Elizabeth's presence but she remains the heart of this family," the statement said. "We love her and will never know anyone more inspiring or full of life."

Edwards was a mother, author and supporter of her husband through his two failed presidential runs. She also had to deal with his extramarital affair with former campaign videographer Rielle Hunter. Eventually he admitted he fathered a child with Hunter, after vehemently denying the allegation for months.

Just yesterday, the Edwards family released a statement saying that she wouldn't undergo any more cancer treatments because it would be unproductive.

Tonight we're also ‘Keeping Them Honest’ in Washington on the compromise reached by Pres. Obama and Republicans to extend Bush-era tax cuts for wealthy Americans for two more years. It was a major concession by Mr. Obama. As part of the deal, Republicans agreed to give Americans the option to file for extended federal unemployment benefits.

"It's not perfect," Pres. Obama said in an afternoon news conference, but "we cannont play politics at a time when the American people are looking for us to solve problems."

The overall cost of the deal is between $600 and $800 billion dollars over two years, according to CNN estimates.

Keeping them honest, remember all those promises of cutting the deficit? Well, analysts say this could very well increase the deficit. Pres. Obama has vowed to reign in debt and Republicans campaigned on the platform, as well.

Yes, the GOP also vowed to extend the Bush-era tax cuts. So much for those other promises.

Republicans are supporting the deal, while liberal Democrats are blasting it. We'll talk this all over with our political panel.

And on a lighter note, see why the Balloon Boy is back in the headlines and why we just had to add him to our 'Ridiculist.'

Join us for more on these and tonight's other big stories at 10 p.m. ET on CNN. See you then

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Norma

At 17 I wept on the death of John Kennedy and of Elvis when I was 30 and now again at 64 upon learning of Elizabeth's Edwards death. These are the only public people of whom I did not know that I shed a tear. My heart goes out to her children she made quite and impact to say the least. Thank-you

December 7, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  2. margie

Shocking news, she was an inspirational woman. God bless her family.

December 7, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  3. Mike Fedor

Elizabeth.. you were and are an inspiration... may you find peace in Heaven...I never met you.. but you moved me beyond belief... I hope I can have that affect on others...you've inspired me for years.......

December 7, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  4. Shawn

I feel so sad that we have lost such a great person such as Ms. Liz.....In the spotlight she is the model that most mother's should follow. She had been through so much in the last few years, it was so sad what John had did to her and the family, but she held everything together for the her family. She also tired so hard to set the example for them so when she left the earth they would have something to model their life's after. She was a truly beloved American by so many, and her lost is a lost that will not be forgotten. We love you miss Edwards, and sending so many blessing to the Edward family.

December 7, 2010 at 11:04 pm |
  5. Michael - Huntington Beach, CA.

Elizabeth Edwards was a great advocate and inspiration! I'll miss her very much!!

December 7, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  6. helene

Rest in peace Elizabeth. What a courageous, intelligent and kind and strong woman.

You were your husbands loss and your childrens anchor. You will be remember for what you gave to many, your advocacy for many causes and your love for your children.

Rest now.

December 7, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Maria

Praying for strength to the family of Elizabeth Edwards. As a breast cancer survivor, I know the agony she felt not knowing if she would be able to see her young children grow up. She fought for people like me understanding the need for insurance for cancer patients. She was a very strong and courageous woman and a beautiful person. God Bless the family.

December 7, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  8. lila

how sad, THIS LADY WAS INDEED A LADY. I pray that all the articles written about her are about her and no one else. nothing else but the memory of her. what a loss.

December 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  9. Jean, Toronto

I heard last night on CNN AC 360 that Elizabeth Edwards had a few months to live. Tonight I am shocked and deeply saddened to hear that she passed on. Although I never met her yet I feel as though a relative of mine has passed on. A few months ago I saw her on Larry King Live and never thought that she would have left this world so soon. I was also impressed by her strength, her pleasant smile, personality and dignified manner under the circumstances. She who was a faithful wife and mother. God had his plans for her. The following reminds me of her:
    I shall pass through this world but once. If therefore, there be any good thing I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow-person, let me do it now. Let me not defer it nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this was again.
    As I consider her young children, my sympathy goes out to her entire family. May God sustain them all at this time.
    Elizabeth Edwards, a struggle well accepted. You have won the race and have exceled. No more heartache and pain. May you rest in God's peace, Amen. I know you will.

December 7, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Carole

Elizabeth Edwards was an inspiration and role model to so many of us... as women, as mothers, as breast cancer survivors, as survivors of so many of life's challenges. She weathered them all with strength, dignity and grace. I only wish my life will have been as consequential to even a fraction of the number Elizabeth inspired when my time comes. She will be much missed by so many, not the least of whom is me.

December 7, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  11. Marlene Stickfort

OH WHAT A SAD DAY THIS IS FOR ALL OF ELIZABETH'S FAMILY & ESPECIALLY HER CHILDREN...ONE THING SHE IS NO LONGER SUFFERING & IS IN A BETTER PLACE..

I LOST MY HUSBAND DEC 9TH 2004 TO LUNG CANCER SO I KNOW WHAT SHE WENT THROUGH.....TIME DOES HEAL.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL,
    MARLENE

December 7, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  12. virginia

Elizabeth Edwards is a strong and an amazing woman, may she rest in peace. I also had a breast cancer 20 years ago and thank God I'm still alive and well. God Bless her family.

December 7, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Josiane

RIP Elizabeth. May Jehovah Heavenly father protect and comfort your children. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

December 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Cathy Garza

It's sorrow that we had to loose such a brave person like Elizabeth Edwards. She is in the pain now and I hope her children will be able to find comfort with each other. I never could understand why her husband could not have waited and cared for her whole heartedly.

May she rest in peace

December 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Nancy Griffin

I agree with others,I hope John Edwards is ashamed of himself and will keep close to his children during this difficult time.She was a beautiful, strong person that deserves to be remembered in a positive way, not for the turmoil she had to put up with because of him.My prayers are with her children.Rest in PEACE with your son Ms. Elizabeth.

December 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Jo Bradley

I just saw Elizabeth Edwards on the Nate Berkus show and was reminded of what a kind and compassionate lady she was. When she was first diagnosed with breast cancer I wrote to her to give her support and it wasn't long after that I received a letter from her thanking me for my thoughts and prayers. I wish I had known her personally because I know she would have been a wonderful, loyal friend. I'm so sorry for her passing and I know how much she will be missed. God Bless her family.

December 7, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  17. zune

may she rest in peace.

December 7, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  18. Vivian Marti

After hearing about Mrs. Edwards' decision to stop treatment, I knew things were bad, but never thought "so bad." I immediately sent her an e-mail and a letter, encouraging her and offering prayers. Sadly, she will never read either. I am so sorry for her family's loss and pray that God will bring comfort. God bless the Edwards family. My deepest condolences.

December 7, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  19. Elizabeth Stanosheck Jeanette

Elizabeth Edwards had all the talents and heart necessary to be the President, but as with so many women, she was in the supportive role. She not only taught us how to live, she taught us how to die with dignity, grace and hope.

December 7, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Joyce Hansen

What an outstanding lady and role model. Her death is a great loss to us all. Elizabeth, you will be missed. I am sad for the children; I hope they will find comfort in each other.

December 7, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  21. Kathleen

Elizabeth Edwards was America's symbol of strength and courage. May her children be comforted by the memories of her love and devotion to them. Rest in peace, Elizabeth Edwards.

December 7, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Sandy

Just wonder how her cheating husband feels now. So sad for her chrildren.Wonder how they feel toward their father?I know they must have felt really bad for their mom going through cancer with a cheating father.

December 7, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  23. Mary B in Ohio

When I saw news today Elisabeth was given months to live I thought "I would send her flowers telling her how awesomely strong and poised she has been." But I wouldn't even know where to begin to find an address for her...... Less than 24 hrs later... How sad for the world but bringing peace to her. I cannot imagine the pain John Edwards must feel knowing he made the last few years of her life so difficult. May she blossom in heaven as she did on earth.

December 7, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  24. Kevin Smith-Poole

DADT isnt going anywhere!!

December 7, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  25. John

She was a courageous woman and went through much pain! I wish the best for her children and I am sure they will grow up being proud how wonderful their mom was..

December 7, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  26. Lee

Elizabeth is one of the most strong and amazing women out there. She went through so much in just a short amount of time, and she never let it get her down. She held her head high like a real lady! God bless her and her family!

December 7, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  27. Kelly, PA

I do hope Elizabeth's children always get to remember their mom. She probably made an effort to give them good memories when she knew she wouldn't be there as they grew up. My thoughts and prayers are with the children.

December 7, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  28. Carla Blackledge

I was sad to hear about Ms. Elizabeth. She was such a wonderful role model. I felt she was an inspiration to all women who had/has/will have breast cancer. I hope she was comfortable in her last days and hours. Hugs to her family.

December 7, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, Ohio

I doubt John Edwards would have achieved what he did without Elizabeth.

December 7, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Angela

I was saddened by the death of a great woman, Elizabeth Edwards.What a role model for all women. She will be missed. May her memory be eternal!

December 7, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Jo Ann, Ohio

I was shocked and saddened to hear about Elizabeth Edwards' death today. My thoughts are with her children tonight.

December 7, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Sue Anderson

So sorry to lose you Elizabeth. Our prayers are with your family. You were the spark in the election in '04. We worked hard for it. Now you are in a better place, much better and with your son...who was waiting for you. Your daughter will take care of the two little ones. Rest in Peace dear Elizabeth.

December 7, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  33. ARLEENE

Rest in PEACE Elizabeth Love and God Bless

December 7, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  34. Rebecca Fistel

I feel she is out of her pain. The pain now lies with the her children. Her book about losing her son was very powerful, since we lost our son, Jason, as well. I took great comfort in her strength. As someone else here said, it is too bad her last years were fraught with trouble with John. How lucky we are that he never made it to the presidency.

December 7, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  35. arleene gatto

John should be ASHAMED now more than ever.. REST IN PEACE ELIZABETH

December 7, 2010 at 9:58 pm |
  36. Sue Maher

May God watch over her family. It is always hard to lose a parent or a loved one at this time of year. I can relate as I lost my beloved Mom to cancer 17 years ago on Thursday, Dec. 9th, 1993. May the love that she had for them carry them through this time. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

December 7, 2010 at 9:57 pm |
  37. Mag Tobin

I am so saddened to hear of Elizabeth's death. I say "Elizabeth" as though I knew her. I did not know her, but I think we all FEEL that we did. She was intelligent, strong and inspiring. I grieve mostly for her children. Mr. Edwards will have a cross to bear all his life for the way he treated her and for his stupid, brazen infidelity. And to Rielle Hunter: I hope that we will not have to see you in the press again. You have wreaked enough havoc for one lifetime. We do not need to see your likes again.

December 7, 2010 at 9:56 pm |
  38. Sue Anderson

So sorry to lose you Elizabeth. Our prayers are with your family. You were the spark in the election in '04. We worked hard for it. Now you are in a better place, much better and with your son who was waiting for you. Your daughter will take care of the two little ones. Rest in Peace dear Elizabeth.

December 7, 2010 at 9:53 pm |
  39. Itsasweetlife

I am greatly saddened to hear of Elizabeth Edwards passing away from metastatic breast cancer, even more saddened she had to deal with so much personal turmoil during her fight!  RIP Elizabeth. Thank you for being an incredible inspiration to us breast cancer fighters and survivors!

December 7, 2010 at 9:52 pm |
  40. Jackie

To God be the Glory – Elizabeth Edwards can now rest peacefully with her Savior knowing that all is well

December 7, 2010 at 9:52 pm |
  41. Krystal

R.I.P Elizabeth Edwards, so sorry she had to put with a such a horrible marriage in the end but I'm sure with her children and family put her at peace in her last moment of life. I pray for her children.

December 7, 2010 at 9:52 pm |
  42. ginette

So sad about Elizabeth Edward's passing. She went through so much with dealing with her sickness and her marital problems, but yet she was always grateful and with poise.
    She was an epitome of a strong woman, who dedicated her life to others and especially to her kids. Rest in Peace!

December 7, 2010 at 9:50 pm |
  43. zarema

May she rest in peace

December 7, 2010 at 9:50 pm |
  44. Holly

As Annie Kate commented above; I too was shocked to hear she had passed away. My thoughts are with her family.

December 7, 2010 at 9:48 pm |
  45. Dinah Geiger

Elizabeth, I'm sorry for all you had to go through. You did it all with dignity and style. You are a role model for all us. May you rest forever in the loving arms of God. We will miss your presence.

December 7, 2010 at 9:44 pm |
  46. Mary L Cabrera

So So sorry to hear the new. I am sick about it. May she rest in peace.

December 7, 2010 at 9:41 pm |
  47. vgreene

Mrs. Edwards, a woman of nobility and class, deserved an article reserved for her instead of including Obama znd deficits. So rude after all this woman has been through.

December 7, 2010 at 9:36 pm |
  48. Donna Wood@(731)307-11255

I was saddened by Elizabeth Edwards passing. More so because I was reminded about how she had to spend the last years of her life in turmoil because of the scandel her ex-husband brought on to the family.

December 7, 2010 at 9:33 pm |
  49. Annie Kate

It was such a shock to hear about Elizabeth Edwards had died – the statement yesterday said weeks, not hours. It is so sad that her younger children won't have her around as they grow to adulthood. I'm sure Elizabeth's largest regret on dying of this horrible disease was that she wouldn't be there for her children. Losing a parent is so very hard.

Politicians never keep their promises; at least not the ones you were interested in seeing done when you voted for them. Why we continue to feel cheated when they don't is somewhat silly – we ought to talk more about the ones they keep rather than the ones they don't. It would be a lot shorter conversation.

December 7, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
  50. tbtb

Just saw that Elizabeth Edwards passed away. Six years battling breast cancer. I read her book Saving Grace (http://amzn.to/hwDXTF). She was a very positive upbeat person. Prayers for her family

December 7, 2010 at 8:40 pm |