December 7th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Elizabeth Edwards dies after long battle with cancer

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/POLITICS/05/12/lkl.edwards.transcript/art.edwards.cnn.jpg caption="Elizabeth Edwards, the estranged wife of former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, died Tuesday after a lengthy battle with cancer." width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Elizabeth Edwards, the estranged wife of former presidential candidate John Edwards, died today after a long battle with breast cancer. She was 61.

Tonight on 360°, we'll look back at her life. You'll hear from family friend John Moylan, who is Mr. Edwards former campaign adviser. Anderson will also talk with Larry King who interviewed Elizabeth Edwards many times.

Edwards died at her family home in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, according to a statement released by the family.

"Today we have lost the comfort of Elizabeth's presence but she remains the heart of this family," the statement said. "We love her and will never know anyone more inspiring or full of life."

Edwards was a mother, author and supporter of her husband through his two failed presidential runs. She also had to deal with his extramarital affair with former campaign videographer Rielle Hunter. Eventually he admitted he fathered a child with Hunter, after vehemently denying the allegation for months.

Just yesterday, the Edwards family released a statement saying that she wouldn't undergo any more cancer treatments because it would be unproductive.

Tonight we're also ‘Keeping Them Honest’ in Washington on the compromise reached by Pres. Obama and Republicans to extend Bush-era tax cuts for wealthy Americans for two more years. It was a major concession by Mr. Obama. As part of the deal, Republicans agreed to give Americans the option to file for extended federal unemployment benefits.

"It's not perfect," Pres. Obama said in an afternoon news conference, but "we cannont play politics at a time when the American people are looking for us to solve problems."

The overall cost of the deal is between $600 and $800 billion dollars over two years, according to CNN estimates.

Keeping them honest, remember all those promises of cutting the deficit? Well, analysts say this could very well increase the deficit. Pres. Obama has vowed to reign in debt and Republicans campaigned on the platform, as well.

Yes, the GOP also vowed to extend the Bush-era tax cuts. So much for those other promises.

Republicans are supporting the deal, while liberal Democrats are blasting it. We'll talk this all over with our political panel.

And on a lighter note, see why the Balloon Boy is back in the headlines and why we just had to add him to our 'Ridiculist.'

Join us for more on these and tonight's other big stories at 10 p.m. ET on CNN. See you then

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. sandy finn

May Elizabeth rest in peace. While some of us did not agree with her political beliefs, this does not really matter at this point. She was an amazing woman and an amazing mother. She now can be at peace, pain free and live an eternal life with God. She is now able to see her son Wade. I feel for her children and I know that God will watch over them and comfort them.

December 8, 2010 at 2:22 am |
  2. Barbara Baylis

It saddned me to learn last evening that Elizabeth Edwardsd, wasn't doing well and all treatment had been stopped. I had the pleasure of watching her on the Nate Burkus show last week. I most loved the quote she made from Leonard Cohe "I Ring the bells that still can ring.Forget your perfect offer...ing.There is a crack in everything.That's how the light gets in." then to learn that she had a little shop that she sold furniture from named the Red Window. We all know that Elizabeth's light will shine through her little Red Window.
    She had fought a couragous battle of breast Cancer, but life was cut short of her wishes, so that she could see her first grandchild, and see her two younger Children grown, Into adulthood. May God Bless her Children through this sad time, I know that Elizabeth will leave a huge void in their lives and the lives of many others. God Bless the Children !

December 8, 2010 at 2:21 am |
  3. Wafula, K. H

I am very saddened indeed. Mrs. Edwards was such an inspiration to so many people in so many ways. Her courage in the face of a terminal illness is so admirable. I will never forget the candor and determination she showed in the recent interview she had with CNN's Larry King when she introduced her book "Resilience." God gives and God takes; May she rest in eternal PEACE.

December 8, 2010 at 2:19 am |
  4. Cindy Turner

Elizabeth Edwards: An amazing mother and truely a woman of inspiration and grace! I wish her children well!!!!

December 8, 2010 at 2:17 am |
  5. Lesliee

Mrs. Elizabeth Edwards will be missed, particularly her willingness to be open for compromise in the most difficult situations, a skill set not evident in ignorant men on the Hill like McConnell. May she rest in peace.

December 8, 2010 at 1:53 am |
  6. blanca

I am so very sad about Elizabeth now gone. she was the most dignified woman even after her sorry for a husband left her for that trash.
    i took it very hard upon hearing of the news...i will forever remember her asking for just 8 more yrs......rest ms. e god is with you and your beautiful son

s the shne.

December 8, 2010 at 1:44 am |
  7. ML

We all learned a lot from Elizabeth Edwards...but mostly about grace and especially about dying with grace.

I harbored resentment toward her for encouraging her cheater husband to continue his run for president after she found out...and for campaigning for him as if her were a person with integrity. But i figured out that she did that because it was the one thing she could do that the other dipsy woman couldn't, and I understand it and got over it.

Today's article in Time – about why Edwards fell in love with Elizabeth – makes me understand and appreciate her more. It sets a very good note

December 8, 2010 at 1:40 am |
  8. Rosa

I just want to say that Elizabeth Edwards was a very gracious woman and even in the most painful moments of her life she never complained She took eveything as a challenge. Very optimistic person and resilient. Never gave up. She kept fighting because she knew she had a job to do. I am sending condolences to the family and the kids. One day they will know how their mother was in reality and will be very proud of her!!

December 8, 2010 at 1:31 am |
  9. Mercedeh Kazmi

Dear Anderson, my husband came home and told me that Mrs. Edwards passed away and I didn't believe him because earlier this morning I had heard that she was home and had a few weeks more to live. I cried. I lost my mother to Ovarian Cancer (stage 4) 4 years ago. She fought hard for one full year but lost her battle. I know exactly how her family feels and my heart goes out to them. Especially her children. It seems like yesterday when my mother passed.

December 8, 2010 at 1:28 am |
  10. Jessie

May Elizabeth's shining light be a reminder to all men who are contemplating deceiving their wife, and essentially abandoning their family – don't do it! May John Edwards suffer the pain of remorse and condemnation for his sins for eternity. Rest in peace Elizabeth.

December 8, 2010 at 1:26 am |
  11. Lisa

Class not trash. In life and in death she is a woman's woman and exemplifies grace and beauty. Her life inspires women to be confident and courageous. Her book has encouraged me while dealing with my own personal family tragedy.

December 8, 2010 at 1:22 am |
  12. Hema

I am a mom of two young children, in a no-breaks cancer battle since 5 years. As I watch your show tonight I find myself resonating with everything Elizabeth did. It all boils down to being a Mom and not letting your cancer take over your children's lives. There is also only one wish a Mom has – to hold her children's hands till they reach adulthood. Rest in peace Elizabeth.. your grace and strength are inspiring.

December 8, 2010 at 1:18 am |
  13. Gillian Andersen

As the mother of two, I feel so sad for these children who have lost their mom. I send my love to the entire Edwards family.

December 8, 2010 at 1:18 am |
  14. Nikki

I am really sorry to hear about the news of Elizabeth's passing..
    My thoughts are with her family..
    She seemed like a very strong and courageous women and I have so much respect for her.

December 8, 2010 at 1:17 am |
  15. Jeannie

A brave and beautiful spirit who lived and died, full of grace. She is an inspiration to us all.

December 8, 2010 at 1:14 am |
  16. June

I sent Mrs. Edwards a letter in 2005 during her chemo and radiation treatments. She wrote back telling me that I was inspiring and thanked me for my continuing support. As a breast cancer survivor myself I was really touched by her personal response to my letter. She was truly a woman of grace and dignity.

December 8, 2010 at 12:55 am |
  17. Barbara

Thank you, Elizabeth, for all that you have given us.

December 8, 2010 at 12:46 am |
  18. Kathy, Sherman Oaks,CA

Icouldn't say it better than Jean of Toronto: I shall pass through this world but once. If therefore, there be any good thing I can do, or any kindness I can show to any fellow-person, let me do it now. Let me not defer it nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this was again.
    As I consider her young children, my sympathy goes out to her entire family. May God sustain them all at this time.
    Elizabeth Edwards, a struggle well accepted. You have won the race and have exceled. No more heartache and pain. May you rest in God's peace, Amen. I know you will.

December 8, 2010 at 12:15 am |
  19. Lillian,NJ

May Elizabeth rest in peace for she knows that she did all she could to conquer this diease. Also, she raised 3 wonderful children who will carry on knowing how loved they were.
    Her death is a great loss for the American people.

RIP

December 8, 2010 at 12:06 am |
  20. Lois

Elizabeth was a wonderful mother and a strong inspiration to many. Elizabeth was a beautiful, kind, and brilliant human being. May Elizabeth rest in peace.

December 7, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  21. Syma Cervone, Mattoon Illinois

I admired Elizabeth Edwards very much. She suffered two of the worst pains for a women, the loss of a child and the humiliation of a cheating husband. She was a women who believed in family. She left her children the example of a fantastic and courageous mother and human being. She was taken from her children too soon.
    May you embrace your son again and rest in peace with him.

December 7, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  22. Lois

Elizabeth was so beautiful in life giving her children everything that they needed. Elizabeth is a remarkable inspiration to many as she faced every moment in her life with brilliant kindness, honesty, and bravery. May we always remember Elizabeth as a wonderful mother, a champion to humanity and as a strong brave role model. I am truly sad that Elizabeth has passed and will remember her as a wonderful woman.

December 7, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  23. Betty Alexander

My sympathies go out to John Edwards and the children. There will always be a void in their lives, but Christ will help them through each day.

December 7, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  24. Carol

Elizabeth Edwards will be an inspiration for so many of us for years to come. She was such an incredible inspiration. She radiated dignity, hope and grace. May God be with her family and loved ones. She will be missed but her legacy will live on in our lives. Thank you for being such a wonderful part of so many lives.

December 7, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  25. Gail

What an amazing woman of faith, grace and resilience. Elizabeth Edwards has become one of my role models. A loss to so many. But now she is with her son Wade.

December 7, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  26. Ted

It is an understatement to say that Elizabeth Edwards was an accomplished woman in all ramifications. A perfect role model to any young woman or man who aspires to be anything good,a true personification to the word "balance" as it applies to family and work. May her sole rest in peace.

December 7, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  27. Eric

Elizebeth Edwards was a fantastic lady dispite scandel with her husband. Working as a close advisor to John Kerry in 2004-2005 during his campaign I met Elizebeth many times. She seemed to be a great lady with compassion. My condolences John.

December 7, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  28. Michelle FIcken

Elizabeth was a true lady and role model for us all. We were honored to get to meet her. We will keep her family in our thoughts and prayers.

December 7, 2010 at 11:22 pm |