December 6th, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards stops cancer treatment, releases statement

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/12/06/elizabeth.edwards.jpg]

CNN Political Unit

Elizabeth Edwards is surrounded by family and friends in her North Carolina home after being informed by her doctors that further cancer treatment would be unproductive.

"Elizabeth has been advised by her doctors that further treatment of her cancer would be unproductive," the Edwards family said Monday in a statement. "She is resting at home with family and friends and has posted this message to friends on her Facebook page."

The message from Edwards, the wife of two-time presidential candidate John Edwards, reads:

"You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces – my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined. The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human.

"But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful. It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know."

Edwards was told by her doctors last week that additional cancer treatments were futile, said a source close to the family. Her prognosis was described in terms of weeks, not months, the source said.

Full Story

Filed under: 360° Radar
  1. Carl Mountes

You are an American treasure!

December 6, 2010 at 11:03 pm |
  2. Bonnie in PA

God bless the good women and never give up hope for a miracle. You have been a strong women and a hero for all women and their daughters. Be proud of the life you have lived and know that you have touched many lives. Peace to you and your family.

December 6, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Julie

Bless her and her children, she is a class act.

December 6, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  4. Dave

You are 'class' personified. Thanks for displaying for us true humility and grace in a country so saturated in 'themselves' and their accomplishments. May you be blessed with a closer seat to your Blessed Creator.

December 6, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  5. Never Hoarse

You're voice will never be silenced. My thoughts are with your Children and you. There is nothing to fear ~

God is Waiting.

December 6, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  6. Anthony in Albuquerque

My thoughts and prayers are with you, our family and those who are with you and those you have touched. May the good Lord continue to bless you with strength and love. The many you have touched throughout our country are blessed by your courage, dignity and class. Bless you today and forever.

December 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  7. Syed Muhammad

Ms.Edwards, You are a real inspiration for all of us. May God Bless you and your family..May God make things easier for you...

December 6, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Sandra

GOD is still in control. May your energy and strenght continue to surround you and your love ones.

December 6, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  9. Marguerite Vincz

Elizabeth, you are a truly beautiful person.
    God Bless You.

December 6, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Mary in St. Louis

She has put up such a fight for so long. I feel bad for her kids and family.

Much progress has been made on cancer but I sure wish we could irradicate it. A disease that has touched probably almost every family or person in one way or another.

December 6, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Barbara

Dear Elizabeth,
    Enjoy yourfamily, they are fortunate to have a wonderful and inspirational mother in you. I too am praying for a miracle for you...you have been an example to us all of how to live a refined life in the face of difficulties.
    Please know you have touched many lives and are loved and in the thought of many people you have never met.
    May God bless you.

December 6, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  12. Kris Carter

You have handled yourself like a lady all of the way through, with grace and poise. I pray for you and hope to meet you on the other side.

December 6, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  13. mrmartingm

A woman with innumerable "human" qualities.

December 6, 2010 at 9:29 pm |
  14. Carolyn Free

Elizabeth
    I am praying for a miracle for you. Only God above knows our appointed time. Man can only guess. I pray for strength for you and your family. You are an awesome lady and I have admired your courage, your bravery and your ability to stay strong throughout your ordeal. May God continue to bless and strengthen you. You are truly a class act.

December 6, 2010 at 8:36 pm |
  15. Debbie Shaver

May God be with you and your family in the coming days and weeks. As a breast cancer survivor, you have been an inspiration to me and many others. Your determination, faith and hope have been a beacon for many. God's peace be with you and your loved ones.

December 6, 2010 at 8:36 pm |
  16. Cynthia Shiver

You have shown America an example of bravery and graciousness. We wish you peace. God bless you.

December 6, 2010 at 8:29 pm |
  17. Sharon

Elizabeth Edwards has fought her battle with grace and dignity. I hope I can do the same when faced with my death. Thank you, Elizabeth, for your courageous and loving spirit. You will be missed until we all meet again.

December 6, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  18. Cynthia Shiver

Elizabeth-You have shown America a true example of graciousness. All of us wish you peace and comfort. You are a brave and lovely woman. God bless you.

December 6, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  19. Annie Kate

I am deeply saddened by this news. Elizabeth Edwards is an inspiration to any who have followed her life through the years from the death of her son to her own battle with cancer, a cancer we all hoped she would continue to hold off. I hope that she can be made comfortable to the end; that her family will make the most of these last days with her; and that when she passes the passing is peaceful and that she is reunited with her son and other family who have preceded her. Elizabeth is a class act and there aren't many of those left; her presence enriched the lives she touched. We will miss her sorely.

December 6, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  20. LeeAnn

God bless her. Just reading her comment makes me appreciate life....my life a little more. Peace and blessings to her and her family.

December 6, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
  21. Edna Fury

Dec 6th,2110 There will be no trials there.

God Bless You.

December 6, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
  22. Mark

Best Wishes to you and the family. You are an inspiration!

December 6, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  23. Jenna

I hope she's able to spend this Christmas with her loved ones.

December 6, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  24. Jaimie Kau

Dear Elizabeth: Your dignity and grace are inspirational. God bless you always.

December 6, 2010 at 7:57 pm |
  25. Fulvia

Super BIG Hug for you Miss Edwards...

December 6, 2010 at 7:48 pm |
  26. Dana

Go with God Elizabeth. The world will be diminished without one as classy and gracious as you. I have always admired you.

December 6, 2010 at 7:44 pm |
  27. Rob

A very nice lady indeed. I pray God grant her peace.

December 6, 2010 at 7:39 pm |
  28. katherine glavine

Praying for you and your family...you are an inspiration and a pillar of strength...God Bless you Mrs. Edwards... You are in our prayers

December 6, 2010 at 7:38 pm |
  29. Aiden Raccoon

Did she die?

December 6, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  30. LiChDom

Dear beautiful lady...keep the faith. You're spirit and grace are strong. You are an inspiration.

December 6, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  31. Wannetta Wilson

I wish you the best.

December 6, 2010 at 7:29 pm |
  32. Ryan Y.

I do know not much about Elizabeth Edward's life in detail, but I always found myself paying attention each time she spoke. It is almost as if this wise maternal figure had every intention of helping everyone she spoke to.

December 6, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  33. cd3707

God Bless you and your children.

December 6, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  34. Cyndi

Elizabeth, As a nurse for many yearss, I must tell you Dr's are not Gods and they can be wrong..Keep your faith in yourself and your hope alive, miracles do happen.. I am praying for you and your lovely children, that all will be fine for you....

December 6, 2010 at 7:13 pm |
  35. Ann Marie

Mrs. Edwards,

I have admired your dignity and courage through some very trying
    times of your life. This world has never know such a Hero as you.
    May God Bless you and welcome you home with his loving arms.
    Look forward to meeting you one day.

December 6, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
  36. Jean

Bless you and your family. You are a courageous, wonderful woman who continues to inspire people. Thank you!

December 6, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
  37. Diana

THANK YOU Elizabeth Edwards! You are an inspiration!

December 6, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
  38. Karon Greene

You are a very strong women, and one that I look up to. No-one can say that you didn't give it a good fight. May God Bless you and your family thru' this trying time.

December 6, 2010 at 7:02 pm |
  39. ed

God Bless you Elizabeth and your family, you will be in our thoughts and prayers. You always have been and always will be a beautiful lady.

December 6, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  40. Deborah Holden

I too am saddened by the news, but I also know God is in control, and we live by faith. Our days are numbered, God knows best, and I will keep you and your family in my prayers. May God keep you and yours in his care..

December 6, 2010 at 6:53 pm |
  41. Joel Sommers

Elizabeth Edwards, you've been an inspiration to me and millions of others.

Cancer took my mom just over a year ago. She was so brave, brave for the rest of us. She left us knowing she was leaving her family a better world than the one she entered.

You have also spent your life working to make it a better place and the tangible results are all around us. Thank you for all you've done. We love you, Elizabeth!

December 6, 2010 at 6:52 pm |
  42. Mary Frances Stucks

Your name will always remind us what a beautiful gracious lady you are,and loved by so many.God Bless you and grant you serenity.

December 6, 2010 at 6:52 pm |
  43. Freddie Keyes

Elizabeth – You are a brave and wonderful person. It hurt my heart to hear these words, but I also know a GOD who like to work out impossible situation in life. What ever happen in your life, knows this this GOD love you and will take care of you and your family.

Our moments prays are with you.

December 6, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  44. Desmond

God bless you. I am aware that you have a difficult journey ahead. Bless you with your family, alike.

December 6, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  45. John

As a North Carolinian, I am so impressed with this lady's bravery, her class and courage in the face of illness, possible impending death and humiliation by her scumbag husband, a disgrace of a human being who needs a special place in eternal punishment for him in teh after world following this world's prison.

God Bless Elizabeth Edwards and my prayers to the family.

December 6, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  46. Max

Bless your heart & soul. You have been through so much. I sincerely have alwasy wished the very best for you. We need more like you on this earth. God bless you.

December 6, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  47. Julie M

God bless and treasure you, and may he ease your suffering.

December 6, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  48. Deb Seate

I admire Elizabeth Edwards and shed tears at this news announcement.

December 6, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  49. Nutan Patel

Elizabeth Edwards- God Bless You. You are one gracious lady, this world would be a wonderful place if there were more women like you!

December 6, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  50. J.K. Dorfner

You are a brave and stalwart soul. I wish you peace. The world will be a lesser place without one such as yourself.

December 6, 2010 at 6:13 pm |