December 3rd, 2010

What About Jobs?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, with unemployment rising, and jobless benefits expiring, what are your elected representatives doing about it? One's saying that working with republicans is almost like negotiating with terrorists. Another is calling a democratic bill poultry poop. We're Keeping Them Honest. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Terence

Today I think I watched the most news I have ever watched since I started college in September. I am very young and I sit here and wonder what will my country be like in 20 years.... we have unemployment at record high for a certain length of time. I stare at a debt clock that continues to climb so high that you wonder how have we made it this long...

December 4, 2010 at 2:19 am |
  2. Kathy

Why not tax everyone 20% across the board.

December 4, 2010 at 2:19 am |
  3. Derek

The latest argument to divide us is tax cuts. I wonder what it will be next month.

December 4, 2010 at 2:18 am |
  4. Chris in NC

As far as the Bush Tax Cuts, let's be fair. Extend all of them up to $1.5 Million dollars for small businesses and $300 Thousand for working Americans, which is fair. There are many small business who create many jobs that make over $250,000/yr but not over $2 million so they do not need to be hit with higher taxes because they are assets putting people to work. Those who are multi-millionaires will not be hurt due to there very high wealth of which many of these large corporations pay management millions and millions, while not hiring an additional soul. GREED seems to be the dominate spirit and issue, not the deficit. If you don't plan to serve the citizens who vote for you to work and do your job with fairness, integrity, and compassion then don't run to be elected because you aren't equipped! When you don't properly manage and govern, you are stealing and waisting!

December 4, 2010 at 2:16 am |
  5. Chris in NC

Let's put the USA first by extending unemployment benefits to all of the unemployed because they are the fabric who made this country what it is! The root issue is GREED. The Private Sector and Government must stop OUTSOURCING TO OTHER COUNTRY just to put more BILLIONS INTO THEIR OWN POCKETS, WHILE INCREASING GDP or Gross Domestic Products through the manufacturing sector in THE USE, NOT CHINA! CHINA is not our friend but the enemy for more. Pres. Clinton had a major Balance Budget and Surplus at the end of his 2nd term because GDP and manufacturing was primarily in the USA. Now, we've betrayed our own hard working and educated citizens for more money and power! When is enough going to be enough? US Senators, CEOS, and Leaders, wake up because GOD is not proud of your greed and selfishness. He entrusted wealth to you for HIS GLORY but you are hoarding it for yourselves!

December 4, 2010 at 2:04 am |
  6. Rob Adams

My unemployment compensation ran out November 15th.I can't hold on much longer.I voted for all Democrats in the midterm election.Democrats here this:Give the Republicans what they want.Then tell them to get me a job.Quit holding my unemployment hostage.It won't do me,the country, or either side any good when my truck gets reposed and I can't get out to look for work!

December 4, 2010 at 1:31 am |
  7. Kendra

$250,000 is a lot of money in some cities and some towns. However, in cities like San Francisco, Bay ARea, New York and many other cities this is NOT a lot of money. Most of us, that live in these high cost cities, have $5000 home or rent notes, plus the cost of living is extremely high. I cannot afford to send my children to private school, nor go to high end restaurants or have any luxuries. I voted Democratic but am extremely concerned about adding even more taxes added to my taxes to the AMT Tax that already is extremely painstaking. I work full time and have two children and make over the amount in question. In the last election in California, I had to vote Republican due to this issue. I believe there are many of me's. We vote, we have families and we are the middle class of America. I believe that everyone should have the right to be married and everyone should have the right to serve in the military. I recycle, compost and conserve as much as I can. So there you have it!

December 4, 2010 at 1:24 am |
  8. Ann in Virginia

David in KC 12-3, 10:54pm ET
    "I have a suggestion on how to create jobs and address the upper 2% tax issues at the same tiem. Create a tax incentative. for every job crated by the Two-percenters give them a tax credit. If they truly create jobs then they will benefit from it. If they do not create jobs then they will ...pay...more..."

GREAT IDEA. Big money folks should know about incentives and should EARN their bigger tax breaks.

December 4, 2010 at 1:15 am |
  9. Ann in Virginia

Mike (Syracuse)10:45 pm ET noted:
    "Before he was fired General McCrystal had asked for 80,000 more troops. He got 30,000 more. The military is being asked to do the job with less than half what they need. We can't win that way."

Afghanistan is "unwinnable" anyway! BUT we already contract out most support services due to lack of troops. IF more in Congress had good sense and cared more about country than their banks and blocking bills - they could increase our limited volunteer forces by:
    (1)repealing the worthless DADT (TO RETAIN trained and skilled military personnel), and (2) passing the DREAM Act (TO ATTRACT) kids brought here as illegal immigrants who have grown up AMERICAN and could serve in the military for a few years as part of a process to become citizens.

December 4, 2010 at 1:11 am |
  10. David McKinney

What is most bothersome is that most comments made are politicized rather than the result of accurate analysis. For example: "Erick", while stating the Republican talking points, suggested that 60% of small business owners are in the top 2% of taxpayers and therefore deserve a tax cut. There are about 135 million individual tax returns; therefore, the top 2% would be about 2,700,000 individuals. There are about 24.7 million small businesses of which 60% would be 14.8 million, which is far in excess of the total number of individual taxpayers which comprise the top 2%. What we need are either commentators who are knowledgeable about the subject or a truth squad that question the numbers quoted by these "experts" so as to prevent contamination of the airwaves.

December 3, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  11. David Garcia San Diego, CA

I use to say I knew people unemployed. Now I say Im starting to know people homeless. And I work in $70k bracket....whats up with these crazy policies? You bailed the banks, and the cost of unemployment benefits is a miniscule (sp?) fraction of that cost.

December 3, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  12. monte

listen up republicans, Ever hear of supply and demand? If theres no money coming from 15 million people that lose benefits, your tax breaks or that 15 million people's tax break won't mean a darn thing. And Remember republicans the people are watching what you are doing and what your priorities are. Come next election we might just be looking at an all democrat or independent goverment, because we all will be remembering what you do here now so remember that, take it to heart Because it can happen very easy.

December 3, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  13. jim

when nafta was passed. it was said that america will benifit from it.its been many years and i have not seen america improved by nafta. im just one person , but you would have to be blind & dumb not to know that the only thing to bring america back to its glory and wealth. is to bring back what america was great at. that is building & manufacturing parts. things like machine shops & assemble factorys. the notion that sending american jobs abroad only made the ceo"s richer by not having to deal with polution laws america has in place, many of these companys overseas simply dump waste fluids down a drain or out thier back door. this combined with lower pay wadges.

December 3, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  14. Terri

I am disgusted with these congressional "leaders" who claim to have our best interests at heart. My husband was an management executive working in the pharmaceutical industry for all his life. He was "laid off' after his company was purchased by a European company 2 years ago. Since then he has not been able to find any job, and he has really really tried. He is frequently told that he's overqualified (if he applies for a job less than what he did) or they take one look at his 62 year old white balding head, smile, and say sorry....We are living on his unemployment insurance which is due to run out this month, lost a good part of his retirement savings with the economic collapse combined with having to use some to allow our children to finish their educations, were financially forced to sell our home, leave our daughters who are still in college on the East coast and move to a tiny home his mother bequeathed to him in a midwest city. These lawmakers are literally holding our lives hostage for their tax break agenda for the rich. Typical! I suggest, that the Dems give the "all knowing" republicans what they want....comprimise...for 1 year only. Since the GOP says that the top 2% income earners are the ones who will create jobs, and turn this mess around, then give them that one year to do so. Monitor closely to make sure the unemployment rate begins to decline at a significant rate. If that does not happen then reinstate the taxes to that top 2% retroactively and then tack on a penalty. Lets see who is right! Meanwhile, allow us our measly unemployment benefits while they go and create the jobs my husband has been looking for since 2008.

December 3, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
  15. Marie

if you give the top 2% a tax brake to create jobs,
    I wonder if in about two years, who know, they might
    sent those jobs over seas......YOU THANK!

December 3, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  16. J.V.Hodgson

Well CNN I want to hear one provable concrete idea from Republicans about how to resolve the jobs situation in the USA, apart form the completely lame duck idea of maintaining the rich tax cuts.
    Then when it comes to extending unemployment benefits (a piece of legislation that when unemployment was over 7.5 % has never failed bipartisan support, Republicans are syaing NO again until the spoilt child gets his rich tax cuts and also no START Or DADT. Where is the compromise and bi partisan ship here I see absolutely none on the Republican side only our way or the Highway.
    Well for me If I were Obama I'd tell the Republicans
    1) I believe American voters support Abolishing tax cuts for the rich, maintsaing the below 250K
    2) Support that START must be signed with your amendments and
    3) Pass the unemployment extension before anything else and DADT.
    The punch line is; or I will veto now and in future ( after Jan 2011) any tax bill to keep the rich tax cuts on the same terms you offer re extending unemployment benefits unless you tell us how you pay for it and your $100bn of government costs cuts, otherwise no deals!
    Regards,
    Hodgson.

any tax bill

December 3, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  17. Rachelle

Emily,
    How in Heaven's name do you negotiate with someone who refuses to negotiate? (What the Republicans are doing is bullying–not negotiating and, unfortunately, they are using working Americans as pawns.)

December 3, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  18. Cheryl Tolito

Congress and senate needs to drop there wages just like we have. They keep getting there checks every week. They have to go on social security, like we have. They forget they work for us. They need to start taxing all the people coming into our country that's not American. Why should we pay for the governments over spending, They did it, now we have to pay for it, that doesn't make sense. Thanks

December 3, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  19. Matthew

It's about time someone finally brought up the fact that a majority of "small" businesses, the same businesses that create a majority of the jobs in this country do not make more then 250K a year. I've been yelling at my TV for some time now and I'm surprised Dem's took so long to bring this fact up, thank you Roland! I'm tired of the Republican spin and the Dem's need to grow a pair and fight back.

December 3, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  20. charles franklin

the republicans are not for the common man/woman. they only represent the rich which they are part of. athey are mean spirited and their hate for the president is stronger than their professed concern of the American people. to be for the discontinuance of unemployment benefits will cause more homelessness thus eliminating the ability to vote without a valid home address. they are slick and conniving.

December 3, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  21. janie

If extending the tax cuts for the top 2% of wage earners was necessary to create jobs, where have all the jobs gone? We have been under the Bush tax cuts for top wage earners for at least the last 8 years and ended with the worse recession and job creation numbers since the great depression.
    The republican logic is as absurd as their argument.

December 3, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  22. Lawrence williams

I do.not get it! If you do not want the expiration, to hurt business, just extend it for corporation taxes and not personal taxes for people over $200k. Why do we need to it extend the personal taxes for the rich?

December 3, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  23. Ken

According to Factcheck,
    "only 27 percent of all upper-income tax filers report business income that accounts for more than half of their wages."
    The statistics reported by Republicans are not based in fact, many of their "small business owners" are not in a position to hire workers as they are a sole proprietorship not requiring additional employees.

December 3, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  24. ron coleman

what am I hearing ? No unemployment extension unless there are tax breaks for the wealthy top 2% and if no tax breaks the wealthy will panick and have to sell stocks. And who will buy those stocks that they will sell. Think about it. I am not that stupid . Is the rest of America stupid ? I THINK NOT

December 3, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  25. kevin

lets start looking for solutions on how to improve job growth like lets build better trains in the us and cut back on coal or many other (infostructure) jobs

December 3, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  26. john

60% of small bussiness owners make over 250,000 where is this fact from? We are talking taxable income not gross revenue for a small business. The current tax deductions would give most small bussiness owners who take a salery out of the business more of a tax break than that.

December 3, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
  27. Robert Confident

I am a small business man, I employ over 7 people and do make more than 250 K per year.
    I do not like the BUSH tax Cut extension on people making 250K or more.
    Most of businesses that make more than 250K are not just one family business. With their kids, cousins, sister in laws and brother in laws they do not have to pay themselves over 250K to get in that tax bracket, unless you are brother, daughter or sister of a politician or their lobbyists who have flood of money coming which almost can be money laundering or kick backs. Let Bush tax cuts expire for incomes above 250K since increase in tax for someone making upto 500K will be less than few thousand dollars. These businesses use lot more of Tax funded infrastructure of this country that exists no where in world so they earn it because of that and can pay for it. Anyone who barters it with unemployed people is not only cruel but immoral person and should not represent us. And two thousand dollar tax break will not let me hire another person, but Payroll tax break will be a bigger help. Thank you,
    Robert

December 3, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  28. Peter Elliott

I am a small business man. In good years I earned over 250k. Now, I am lucky if I am near there. In the years that I exceeded that amount, I purchased new computers, traveled for business, hired new employees and in short, built my business. The last three years, I have not been able to do so, and have completely retracted.

Bush tax cuts? Making the line at my income, my very well kill me. 250, for a small business owner is not rich. It is a level that allows for development. Not bunker mentality.

December 3, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  29. Valorie, TN

So, the rich are going to crash the market to take even more wealth out of our country before they have to actually give back to the country who enabled them to become rich in the first place? I find that to be ungrateful and yes, unpatriotic as well.

December 3, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  30. kevin

if u really want to help out people get more jobs y not make the banks hold classes and give money to people who can start new businesses arounld the us

December 3, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  31. Barbara

The republicans keep saying that the tax cuts for the wealthy creates job. I think this is bull. All of the hedge fund managers making billions are not creating jobs, neither are the bankers who are getting record bonuses this year. The wealthy in our country today have made their money on our bubble economy such as .com, the stock market and inflated housing etc., not on creating manufacturing jobs. They should pay more becuase they have made it on deregulation. The rules got written in their favor and hurt the middle class. That is why there has been a hugh shift in wealth from the middle class to the top tier.

Please get someone on who can defend this point like David Stockman. Roland Martin just can cut it.

December 3, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Chi,
    Good night!

December 3, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  33. Chi

Good night, AC360ers

December 3, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  34. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Have a good and safe weekend.

A great job by Randi Kaye tonight!

December 3, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  35. Janis

Good night everyone. Good show 360 team. Happy weekend in the snow.

December 3, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  36. Emily

Good night Randi Kaye, 360°Team, Jo Ann, David, Megan, Nancy, Nicole, Gloria, Casey, Starr, Mike, & Bloggers!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.
    Looking forward to the special on John Lennon.

December 3, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Randi, Anderson, Megan, Susan, David G, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie,) Lori, (Adelaide,) Betty Ann, Starr, Heather, Sharon, Karin, Dulcie, Sree, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you on Monday night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!! Have a great weekend!

That's so silly I like ridiculist Markus Eliseuson made mad, don't like snowman!!!!!!!
    Randi,
    Good job for Anderson!!!!! 🙂 Good night!

December 3, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  38. Emily

He goes to the top of the RidicuLIST!!

December 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  39. Virginia D., Louisville

I have a question. The $250,000 income limit. Does that amount include deductions of all expenses including payroll for small businesses?
    Because if a business has bottom line income after all expenses have been paid of $250,000 they should be considered wealthy.

Am I missing something?

December 3, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  40. Emily

@Nancy in Oregon,

I don't even like to hear that Murders' name!
    The fact that Lennon signed his LP for him earlier that day, or week and then he murdered him?!! Selfish & Evil!

December 3, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  41. Janis

I sure hope it was an American that bought the National Anthem. For us, please...

December 3, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  42. Nancy in Oregon

Have a great weekend, people. I'll try to get here on time next week!

December 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  43. Kenya

My goodness. Exploded cell phone???

December 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  44. Janis

The ultimate direct mailer – wonder how much he made for doing it?

December 3, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  45. David in KC

I have a suggestion on how to create jobs and address the upper 2% tax issues at the same tiem. Create a tax incentative. for every job crated by the Two-percenters give them a tax credit. If they truly create jobs then they will benefit from it. If they do not create jobs then they will just pay 3% more then the sub $250K folks.

David

December 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  46. Emily

@Sharon Hastings,
    "Is publishing the documents on the internet a crime? Don't know."
    I know that they are looking for the people that gave Assange the info, yet he does have a history of hacking into computers, etc.
    I wonder if any of these papers have "warnings" on them? (Private, Confidential, etc)
    He has knowingly published these gov. documents and I'm guessing that they would have been marked as such.

December 3, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  47. Nancy in Oregon

I can't believe it's that long either, Emily. So much water under the bridge...wow. I won't get to see the special tomorrow night as company is coming, but I presume it will repeat for awhile.
    Crazy people in this world like Chapman can hurt so many.

December 3, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  48. Chi

@Megan His my favourite musican, too.

December 3, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  49. Kaytee

@Emily
    I don't think they want to talk about their private life, they just don't want to be kicked out of the military for having a private life. They don't want to be kicked out because someone happens to find out that they are gay.

December 3, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  50. Lisa

I would like to see, as a requirement for eligibility even to run in an election, that every potential politician from Mayor on up spend no less than 30 days living on minimum wage.

Maybe if our "leaders" actually knew what it was to struggle and go without, they might manage to dredge up some empathy for the majority of their constituents.

December 3, 2010 at 10:51 pm |