December 3rd, 2010

What About Jobs?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, with unemployment rising, and jobless benefits expiring, what are your elected representatives doing about it? One's saying that working with republicans is almost like negotiating with terrorists. Another is calling a democratic bill poultry poop. We're Keeping Them Honest. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Janis

Losing Lennon sounds interesting. I'm planning on watching it. Thanks CNN.

December 3, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  2. Emily

I can't believe that it's going to be 30yrs since John Lennon was murdered!
    I can see myself staring at the radio listening to the "breaking news". I loved that LP (Double Fantasy)
    This looks like a great special that CNN is going to be airing.

December 3, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I can't wait see John Lennon documtary tomorrow night!! Lennon was my favorite musican star!

December 3, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  4. Kenya

@Jeff
    Corrupt, yes. How better to describe it.

December 3, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  5. Sharon Hastings

@ Emily. I think our government is looking at possible charges against Assange but whether they would stick I don't know. He will say these documents were given to him by others, that he didn't steal them himself. Is publishing the documents on the internet a crime? Don't know.

December 3, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Emily

Beware of Advertising...what they are trying to sell you. The story of that Town is a perfect example...nothing is "picture perfect"!

December 3, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  7. Steven

Tnhere appears to be a concerted effort to discredit Julian Assange and thereby divert attention from the actual contents of the WikiLeaks releases, yet here we are discussing information that WikiLeaks made available. It isn't about Julian Assange anyway: it's about war and deceit. Can anyone say "Pentagon Papers?"

December 3, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  8. Janis

Re: Disney town. I guess you can create a utopian development but human nature and troubles always win out. Sorry for the grief of the man and his family.

December 3, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  9. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse,
    I don't think that DADT is going to be repealed.
    I still don't understand why anyone wants to talk about their personal/private life. (I guess I'd have to be someone in the Military to understand?)

December 3, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  10. Colleen

I have served and I know that a lot of these long-term unemployed will be an asset to our military forces. Do two years, do four, but you will have a job...

December 3, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  11. Jeff

We are spending billions in Afghanistan which is totally corrupt; meanwhile we're going broke. Surreal.

December 3, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  12. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Before he was fired General McCrystal had asked for 80,000 more troops. He got 30,000 more. The military is being asked to do the job with less than half what they need. We can't win that way.

December 3, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  13. Janis

@John & Ann in Virginia re: repeating the fallacy of trickle down

I agree, trickle down economics does not work. I don't know how long it will take for others to believe that and the GOP is still promoting it making them look arrogant and self-motivated. Americans have smartened up in the last decade.

December 3, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  14. Emily

Another 4years!
    By that time, how many more billions will be spent? The fact that it's already 300-400$Billion is unthinkable! (and it seems like there is no end in sight)
    The people & government of Afghanistan are not interested in making any changes and they don't want anyone there.

December 3, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  15. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Emily, the MSM and Administration have selectively reported survey answers to support repeal of DADT.

December 3, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  16. Sharon Hastings

Is the war in Afghanistan all worth it? Absolutely not and what is magic about 2014?? We set these arbitrary goals for what reason? What will be different in 2014? Nothing. So come home NOW.

December 3, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  17. Jeff

The working class is absolutely being eviscerated, the rich are getting richer and the American people just stand back and watch it happen. Where's the outrage?

December 3, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Chi

Seems it takes forever to fight corruption if there is no non-governmental organization as a corruption watchdog. Is there that kind of org in Afganistan?

December 3, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  19. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse
    "For example, one question asked what impact it would have if you knew you had a gay leader. 91% answered negative or mixed impact on the unit's performance."
    That part of the survey doesn't make the news; perhaps the Congress is not focusing much on those answers.

December 3, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  20. John & Ann in Virginia

Senator Harkin is right. It is simply wrong, even UNAMERICAN for Republicans to hold countless positive bills "hostage" in the
    Senate and to cut off unemployment benefits that will be spent fast to pay bills.

This tax cut issue is about LIFE for most Americans, not "theater", and not further enriching the rich so they can stash extra bucks overseas.

Please explain to Mr. Boehner that the real “chicken crap” is playing NO tricks on real people and repeating the fallacy of trickle down.

December 3, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Emily

I know that Interpol is looking for Julian Assange (for sexual assault)...Will the US Gov. be looking to press any charges against him?

December 3, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  22. eric walker Miami fl

We spend 2 billion a week in Afgan. and when we leave their economy will be 14 billion a year. Their fighting over the money we pump into that rag tag country

December 3, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  23. Janis

Afghanistan is the major producer of heroin and cocaine in the world. I can't in good conscience support any government that allows this to go on and donot support our propping up of their corrupt cartel (government).

December 3, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  24. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The Afghan society is corrupt. It always has been and always will be.

December 3, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  25. Marlies

We are a middle class family with many unemployed friends. I'm not quite sure the unemployment benefits should be extended without some kind of stipulations, what those might be I'm not sure. What I am extremely sure of is the tax cut rollback. This is an absolute must. How are we to keep paying for all our debts without some kind of income.

December 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  26. Warren

Want jobs...get those 'small businesses' (I think a $500M company qualifies in that catagory by the SBA) to bring their outsourced jobs back to the USA. Problem is though, not as much profit for the stock market investors.

December 3, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  27. Jan

What does the tax cut for the rich have to do with extending unemployment tax. It's like if you will let us raise the amount for tax cuts, then we may let you extend the unemployment tax. My husband is an Accountant with a Masters degree and can't get a job, we need the UE extension. Ageism is real and present. He is 58, who says that when you are over 45 you can't do your job well. Or they expect you to retire soon, after being unemployed for 2 years who can afford to retire till they are over 70 years old. And they think you will want a high salary...hey at this point he will take 1/3 of what he was making. We have learned to live on UE.

December 3, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Michelle D'Amond

I agree with you all that trickle down economics don't work. We create everything then send the jobs over seas to expand profit margin. Nothing trickles down, but if they are going to insist on these tax breaks, there should be proof in the pudding where how the money is helping the economy. What the rich don't really get, is if we no longer have a middle class, hope is lost. If hope is lost it will be survival of the fittest and all out class warfare will erupt. It will get ugly against the greedy that will bring a nation to it's knees

December 3, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  29. Jeff

People can't be that stupid, can they? Why is this happening? Make it Stop! If we extend tax cuts for the wealthy and there isn't a national revolt then we are nation of sheep.

December 3, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  30. Emily

That town didn't sound like an "Celebration" to me! Perhaps they may have to re-name it.

December 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  31. Kaytee

"Reagan, Bush 2, and the current economy are proof the tax cuts do not work. Why is there so much blind attitude? Not one graph, not one chart, and the disparity of wealth does not support this conservative rant. The reason? Selfish people, I want mine but THWY!"

Exactly! There is plenty of evidence, reporters do some investigative reporting!

December 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love "The Shot" Conan O'Brien wore jeannings and character elf!!!! LOL!!!!!! Very funny Randi and Joe!!!

December 3, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  33. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

America has alway been about equal treatment. So how is cutting taxes for some and not others equal treatment?

December 3, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  34. Nancy in Oregon

What a weird outfit! Looks like of like Romeo-without the top!

December 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  35. chris

Republicans need to come up with more solutions rather than just point the finger. Truthfully Democrats are doing more, but us as people never think realistically. In a perfect economy not everyone will have a job, not everyone will be successful. We need to take a step forward individually to join the pieces of a bigger puzzle collectively!!!

December 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  36. Kenya

Palin and Gosselin. I will NOT be watching that combo.

December 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  37. Emily

What is he wearing?

December 3, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  38. Emily

I wonder if the government is using the troops as an excuse re. DADT. I can't imagine that 'in the work place', (and it's one where you could be killed at any time), that they are concerned as to whether or not a person is gay?!
    I would think that the way that they "do their job" is much more important. I know that when I go to work, I'm not looking at anyone there in a romantic way...it's way to busy.

December 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  39. Hank

The Bush Tax Cuts were unfunded and that is why they had to be temp. It was the law! Now everyone wants to make them for this amount or that amount. If you can't find cuts in Government to fund those tax cuts they should be let to expire. right now the tax rates are the lowest most people have ever seen them. We should have at least paid for the wars we have been in! They are not funded! We are begging China for the money for our wars. How sad.

December 3, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  40. Janis

My grandmother lived through the great depression, raised a family and had a happy home life. I asked her what the great depression was and she said,

"When you finally get the money and go to the store to buy a loaf of bread and there is no bread on the shelf to buy".

She oversimplified because I was just a little kid but it sure stuck in my mind all these years.

December 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  41. Warren

I don't get the argument about the tax cuts for the rich generating jobs...it hasen't been working out the last 10 years. We are only a few terms away from a Plutocracy. I mean really am I here to help my neighbor...help my country? A person who makes a million dollars a year gets a monthly paycheck of about $83,000...monthly! No pain at the pump there...

December 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  42. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The whole Pentagon survey smacks of a lack of Presidential leadership. Truman decided to integrate the military and told them to just do it.

December 3, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Jeff

David Stockman said tonight that extending tax cuts for anybody would be foolish. He said that both sides, left and right, are rushing towards a cliff. He said that it's tragic to watch and I feel the same way. The President needs to put the breaks on or we will become a bankrupt nation. Hopefully, he will speak out in a forceful way and reject the republicans greedy game playing that is putting our nations economy and security at risk.

December 3, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  44. Kaytee

Facts do not lie. During the Bush tax cuts the middle class has gotten smaller and the rich has gotten richer. I can't understand why this is so hard to get across. History does not lie, Reagan's trickle down economics did help, it helped the rich get richer!

December 3, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  45. chris

I love my country but the truth is we are a nation of greed not a nation of humanity and for the good of man, we are to self indulged in our personal desires and gains and we tend to forget that we are suppose to be a band of neighbors.Together we stand divided we fall,but in our case money rules all!

December 3, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  46. K Webster Renton Wa

It is nice to know that the officials we elected to office with all of their campaign promises forgot who they are working for
    isn't it us (the people?)
    all campaign platforms are out the door
    it is and will always be about the high earning 2% of americans which is a shame.
    The unwillingness to even open negotiations about extending unemployment benifits( which actually stopped in november) until they agree upon tax cuts for the rich( which do not end till December 15th) is a tragedy. Many families are trying to just keep their homes and put food on the table let alone thinking of christmas.
    get it together Washington or all of you should be booted out or better yet no paychecks for you until you stop grandstanding and get some real problem solving work done

December 3, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  47. Harry

I must be missing something. Weren't the Bush tax cuts already in effect when the country was losing over 400,000 jobs a month when the new president was elected? Furthermore, I have a business consisting of twenty employees. I am losing money. What will tax cuts do to encourage me to hire more people? Finally, companies like Amazon and E Bay are talking sales taxes away from our state. We need that money for our streets, schools, and security.

December 3, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  48. ruth foster

Roland is right the top two persent do NOT create jobs just spend their money on planes, boats summer homes and off shore banking. Small company are usuall owned by larger companies so they can borrow money from the govermant under the guise they are a small companies, the money should really go to the REALly truthfully small companies

December 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  49. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

As a former submariner, I don't see that the impact would be any more or less than on other ships.

December 3, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  50. Timothy McNeill

I feel that as a working man, the lawmakers should put on their working boots and come out and see just how hard it really is. They are living in a dream world, not the real world.

December 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm |