December 3rd, 2010

What About Jobs?: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, with unemployment rising, and jobless benefits expiring, what are your elected representatives doing about it? One's saying that working with republicans is almost like negotiating with terrorists. Another is calling a democratic bill poultry poop. We're Keeping Them Honest. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. eric walker Miami fl

I have an idea for Senator McCain. We can ask the troops if they want to change DADT and then ask them if the all want to come home NOW?

December 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  2. Helen

Mcain is still fighting the 2008 election. It is very sad for me to watch a man that I admire becoming a very bitter old man. People want to fight and probably die for our country and we are requiring them to lie about themselves. Shame on us for letting this happen.

December 3, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The survey results have been cherry picked to get a more positive read. For example, one question asked what impact it would have if you knew you had a gay leader. 91% answered negative or mixed impact on the unit's performance.

December 3, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Odell

GOP is Not getting called on the fasle argument
    that small business over 250K need this tax cut so that they can provide Jobs Last time I checked employment expenses are already tax deductable and you get taxed on profit after all expenses are deducted.

December 3, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Kenya

So true Janis. There is no time like the present. Perhaps it's far more complicated beyond my understanding? I don't know.

December 3, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  6. Sharon Hastings

Most of those who are against repealing DADT have said they know it's coming at some point and believe it will happen. What is the point in delaying, delaying? Are we waiting until we are NOT at war? When will that be? Until the economy improves? Makes no sense.

December 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  7. eric walker Miami fl

@colleen (What about all the jobs that are going unfilled? Target needs employees, school district here in OK) How many people live in Ok? compared to the east and west coast cites that provide all of the subsidies to your state. there are five people for every job in urban cities

December 3, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I don't think so, John McCain!!!!!! I want to support gays and lesbians as DADT!

December 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  9. eric

On the whole tax thing I only have a issue with the unemployement!!! I think that we should give unemployement benefits if you lose your job, however if your planning to stay on unemployement for 1 or 2 years I think they should stop I find it kinda dumb to let people be lazy and ride the unemployement gravy train.

December 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  10. Michelle D'Amond

No tax break for small business unless they provide jobs....

December 3, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Kaytee

the rich richer
    I meant "Trickle down only makes the rich RICHER!"

December 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  12. Janis

I understand that they don't want to repeal it at this time due to current complications with world situations, but when is the right time? When will the world settle down enough to make it easier for the military? Patience is running thin. Equality is the right thing to do in the military.

December 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  13. susan jackson

What it really boils down too is the rich do not care if the poor go hungry..!! Im sickened to keep hearing this.

December 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  14. Kaytee

Trickle down only makes the richer RICHER!

December 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  15. Chris of Indiana

Regarding the position that the top 2% create our jobs and thus deserve equal tax cuts – each financial break they get ends up in them keeping it. After Wall Street bailout, bonuses are at all time high. In the words of Stan Laurel "we're not as dumb as you look." Once bitten, twice shy.

December 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Hank, Virginia

The reality is that if the top marginal tax rate is lowered then job creation will be a direct effect of the policy. Do this, and the conversation regarding jobless benefits will soon be unnecessary.

December 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  17. Helen

Wall Street does not think the unemployment rate is a big deal because of other positive economic news. However when you are unemployed it is a very big deal.

December 3, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Why is it OK to increase the debt by $3.3 trillion for middle class tax cuts? Either cut for all, or for none.

December 3, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Kaytee

Trickle down economics has never worked. Why are we supposed to believe it will suddenly work??

December 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  20. Janis

The leadership of the Republican party is a big disappointment. All for the Grand Ol Party and who cares about the current American situation. I'm not an economist but reason tells me if there isn't the money in the pocket of the middle class to spend, there will be no jobs – why would I as a business owner want to create jobs even if I had the money if my product would languish in inventory with no sales or demand. Investors won't buy my stock after I have cut to the bone to build up earnings reports if I don't have any sales or demand in the future and my earnings reports start turning bad. The GOP is telling me 2 and 2 equals 5 when most of us know it's 4. Duh.

December 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  21. Emily

@Kenya
    "All this name calling won't get them anywhere."

I have a feeling that there is going to be lots of 'name calling' and arguing over what should be done, and nothing will be done.

December 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I couldn't afford to pay anything like rent, bills, or food as well..... Senators and Congress must to use tax cut as well.... How I can pay for that?

December 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  23. eric walker Miami fl

I am so tired of the tax cut for the rich argument. Reganomics- National debt in 1981-$989 million.1988 2.5 Billion. Jobs lost over that time
    5 million. Wages of medium families flat. The wages of he top 1% up 90%. History and records dont lie. So stop letting this garbage be stated day in day out. The news is starting to mimic WWE!

December 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  24. Tyrell

We are at a state of emergency! if Congress does not extend UI benefits for the unemployed, bad things are going to happen and our country will not be the same

December 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  25. john

What fact guarantees the doom and gloom that by Dec 15 stocks will fail from a selloff if no decisions is made?

December 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  26. Hank

Want jobs back? We just have to remove China from the "Most Favored Trade" Status. It really is that simple. Of course that would mean a big loss to the very rich people who sent our jobs to China! But its time for our leaders to start thinking about Americans for a change!

December 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  27. mark c

I find this so hypocritical that the Republicans once again are holding up movement in the government and people are still doing nothing as always. The Dems arent perfect but Republicans are just plain stubborn and obviously are focused on the 2012 presidential election and not the American people. Wake up America !! get both Dems and REpugnicants to move this much needed legislation through!!!

December 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  28. ron

Rebublican road to the white house. Stall the economy. I am not buying it. $700 billian tax break for the top 2 % income earners is not going to create jobs or help the debt. That has not worked for the last 10 years and is what we are trying to mop up. We need to rally the middle class again

December 3, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  29. Michelle D'Amond

I understand there are many small businesses that make over 250,000 dollars that provide jobs. Why not allow a tax break if they provide jobs. Trickle down theory needs to be urged to work.

December 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  30. Alice Wynn

I am sick of people saying if you make 250K you are RICH! I have a small business, support my grandchidren and two of my sons are out of work. I barely make it and the IRS takes 1/3 of my income! I work 12 hours a day and all I hear is tax, tax, tax. These rich politicans have no clue what it is like to live paycheck to paycheck.

December 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  31. Emily

What % of the jobs that were "created", are Gov. funded jobs? (They are temporary, and won't last long)...What's the % of Private Sector new jobs?

December 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's right, Roland, I agree.... we need more action to hire jobs without unemployment as well.

December 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  33. Joan Childress-Greathouse

You go Roland.

December 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  34. Sharon Hastings

Is anyone else as sick of hearing the same old arguments back and forth? Each side and everyone in between rants and raves with pronouncements about what should be done and nothing gets done!

December 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  35. Kenya

I agree with you Colleen. Open your local newspaper and there are job postings.

December 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  36. Emily

Shows just how much power that 2% of the population has....

December 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  37. Chi

Good evening, AC360ers

December 3, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!! Over 500,000.00 lost jobs means that unemployment rate up, I am really surprised that people are losing jobs as well.

December 3, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  39. Jan

Where are the jobs in the SW? I'm a baby boomer doing my 2nd stint of unemployment and spend hours each day applying for jobs! Bank account is dwindling fast!

December 3, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  40. cathy

Even higher than last month,” Mr. McConnell said, citing the latest unemployment numbers, at 9.8 percent nationally. “Millions of out-of-work Americans don’t want showboats or finger-pointing contests.”

sorry to post again but just came across this quote from Mitch McConnell. Talk about showboating and finger-pointing. He is one of the reasons unemployment extensions have expired. His further comments about hearing from people across the country is true in that I called his office yesterday to complain about his "terrorist" tactics holding the unemployed hostage and his own office told me they had received hundreds of calls from people supporting uenmployment extensions.

So which side of his mouth is he talking out of?

December 3, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  41. Emily

For Sen. Menendez to say that "working with republicans is almost like negotiating with terrorists" is so over the top.
    He should try "negotiating with terrorists"...

December 3, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  42. Colleen

What about all the jobs that are going unfilled? Target needs employees, school district here in OK needs employees, have military enlistment rates increased? I am afraid unemployment will become a crutch like welfare. We need to make strict rules and regulations. We do not need to make it comfortable. There are jobs, may not be your dream, but they are out there, we don't need govt basement dwellers. There needs to be strict regulations! Unemployment rates will drop.

December 3, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  43. Harry Douglas

Did the President really Duck-Out-Of-Town because he knew that these horrible unemployment numbers were coming out this morning. It really seems that way.

It seems that the PR Campaign by the White House is to project a postive spin on the economy.

Automobiles are moving once again! Really! I have a hard time understanding just how America goes car shopping without a job!

The U.S. ecoonomy is still a weak-sister! I have to go along with Alan Greenspan. The American Economy will come back when the jobs come back and not before.

December 3, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  44. Kenya

All this name calling won't get them anywhere.

December 3, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  45. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. It was a big letdown to hear the job numbers today. I think most of us feel powerless and scared without a lot of confidence in our leaders.

December 3, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, Gloria, others. Friday at last! What a wild work week!

December 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooo Randi,(Anderson), Megan, Susan, David G, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie,) Lori, (Adelaide,) BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Thank God It's Friday Night!!!!
    Couldn't wait forward this weekend!

December 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Emily

Good evening Randi Kaye, 360°Team, Jo Ann, David, Megan, Nancy, Nicole, Gloria, Casey, Starr, & Bloggers!

December 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  49. cathy

Why do the Republicans find it necessary to address the deficit on the backs of the unemployed? The bailout was the result of using taxpayer dollars to help Wall Street, the banks and GM among others. I am a taxpayer and that was my money. No one got my approval to bail out the very people that put our country in this mess and ultimately cost myself and millions of others our jobs.
    Pass the unemployment extensions immediately. The only lifeline many of us have to survival.
    By the way even though unemployed we still continue to pay taxes!

December 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

December 3, 2010 at 10:00 pm |