November 29th, 2010

McCain says 'don't ask, don't tell' is working

Gabriella Schwarz
CNN

(CNN) – Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain criticized the Obama administration's decision to try to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy that prevents gay service members from serving openly in the military, saying Sunday that "the system is working."

"The military is at its highest point in recruitment, in retention, in professionalism, in capability," McCain said on CNN's "State of the Union." "So to somehow allege that this policy has been damaging the military is simply false."

Instead, McCain called the attempt at repeal "a political promise made by an inexperienced president or candidate for president of the United States."

His comments come as two top American defense officials are scheduled to head to Capitol Hill this week to discuss a new Pentagon report gauging the effects of repealing the policy.

McCain, who serves as the ranking Republican member of the Senate Armed Services Committee was critical of the report.

Full story on the CNN Political Ticker

Filed under: 360° Radar • Gay & Lesbian Issues • John McCain
  1. Tyson

oh wait, that is right McCain you were not elected. If the republicans want to ever win another presidential election they might need to hang up their archaic ways.

November 30, 2010 at 7:18 am |
  2. Dan Hinkle

Do you know of any "dont ask dont tell" Hero's who died fighting for Sen. Mc Cain's freedom I'd like to thank them I think we shoulde all thank them Dan Hinkle

November 30, 2010 at 1:40 am |
  3. John

I'm a service member of eleven years and I fill that a repeal of the don't ask don't tell would cause alot of problems within the ranks of our military. I personal Don't want to sever beside someone who is openly gay because it would personal make me fill uncomfortable and destract me from the war mission at hand. I think more of our soldiers fill the same way I do because everyone I talk to say the don't ask don't tell need to say the way it is, and alot of them go as far say they will get out as soon as they can if the don't ask don't tell is repealed.

November 29, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  4. Janet`

The military is not discriminating against or targeting gays. They can volunteerly serve in the military or openly not serve in the military. Our country has not ammended its legislation to legalize gay marriages in the majority of the states and we want the military to compensate for equality of gays in the military. There are more complex situations that will have to be dealt with in changing the current policy. We serve in close quarters on ships and in deployments. Are we to create straight and gays bathrooms and living quarters?

Like any other profession, the military needs service members to bring their professionalism to work, not their personal life whether it be straight or gay.

November 29, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  5. aleta

For the safety of the gays and lesbians it should stay as is. There is still a lot of gay bashing, abuse and even sometimes death.

November 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Joshua

Why must a person's sexual orientation be an issue with serving in the military? Why must a homosexual person proclaim their sexual preference? When I go to work whether it is in the office or in the combat zone, neither my nor their sexual orientation should be an issue.

November 29, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Carole

It's sad to see someone of Sen. McCain's laudable history of public service, and one-time credibility across party lines, prostitute himself in the interest of political expediency.

November 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  8. paul g.

Why is it when dem's flip-flop its a huge deal but when the rich repub's do it it isn't a real issue.

November 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm |