November 24th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Airport Security Loophole?

[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/HEALTH/11/23/holiday.travel.medical/t1larg.search1.cnn.jpg caption="A traveler undergoes a pat down at Denver's main airport." width=300 height=169]

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Hopefully by now you've reached your Thanksgiving destination. If you flew, how were the security lines? Did you encounter any problems? Tonight on 360°, after the biggest flying day of the year, we're tracking a weak spot in airport security. The folks with the most access to planes face the least security measures. We're Keeping Them Honest. You'll hear from a pilot who's written extensively about this very issue.

You probably also heard that today was dubbed "Opt-Out Day" - a nationwide call for air travelers to refuse to go through those new full-body scanners and instead go for a pat down by TSA agents. Wait 'till you see how one woman dressed for her pat down. She said it had nothing to do with "Opt-Out Day", but her actions attracted TV cameras. You'll understand why when you see the video.

You'll also hear from the 'Naked Chef' Jamie Oliver. Anderson talked with him about his crusade against childhood obesity. It’s a serious problem. Federal government statistics show childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years. Is the government doing enough to ensure your child has healthy lunch options at school? We'll talk it over with Chef Jamie Oliver.

And, in Crime and Punishment tonight, American Amanda Knox gets a second chance to clear her name in the murder of her roommate in Italy. We'll talk with a reporter who was in the courtroom today.

Join us for these stories and much more starting at 10 p.m. ET. See you then.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. John

Napolitano's dilemma: Scanning and groping women in burqas

November 25, 2010 at 2:30 am |
  2. susan

I traveled last wk from ny to ft lauderdale. I am disabled and presented a card confirming my hip replacement but I had to endure an embarassing pat down under my bra, inside the waistband of my pants and up and down the inside of my legs up to and incl my crotch while my handbag and carryon with a laptop were out of view. From what I could see there were few to np people getting this treatment while oookers were watching me. I totally get it that it is fpr all safety but as a disabled person I was violated espec when I gave the tsa officer the proof. Of what was on my body and I was using a wheelchair.
    Wjat about all the other people not getting patted down and just walking thru the metal detectors. I don,t have answes but there is definitely a loophole here.
    This happened at jfk airport.

November 25, 2010 at 1:32 am |
  3. Dave

What about the loophole in Homeland security? If the terrorist are already here in America why would they be trying to board a plane, wouldn't they just set off a bomb or a suicide bomb in a public place? The PLO and the IRA use to do it. The truth is the terrorist are releasing a Dirty Bomb here in America and it is being deployed by the TSA. Every day when a passenger that goes through the scanners they are being hit with radiation and we will see more victims of Cancer because of it.

The planes are safe, the cockpit is secured and the terrorist are not here in America they are in another country so stop treating our elderly, our children, our cancer survivors, our molested victims and our citizens as terrorist.

This illusion of a safe airport is not making our country safer, it is letting the terrorist win when we lose our right to personal privacy and to travel without injuring the travelers health to keep the planes safe. Use the metal detectors and use the explosive testers, but turn off the scanners and take off the latex gloves.

November 24, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  4. Jim

I used to work at PHL airport & was told that the reason airport employees (airline) didn't have to go thru screening was that the airlines wouldn't allow it. That the time it would take for the airline employees to get screened would affect their bottom dollar to much. The compromise was that they would allow TSA to do the random screening from time to time.

November 24, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  5. Kari

23 years with a major airline as a compliance auditor on the frontline and secuity is tighter than ever employees are randomly screened and patted down, our bags our checked our lunches everything we never know when its coming so just because the general public isn't witnessing it dosent mean its not happening ... as far as pilots & mechanics are concerned if they want to sabatoge an aircraft all they need is the knowledge that keeps the airplane flying in the first place.

November 24, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  6. John

I have been patted down for years, long before the current changes.

Why? Because I have a lot of metal within my body.

Nevermind my government has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars investigating my background. They know me well, having given me Top Secret/SCI clearances, access to areas of national security, and my years of combat experience.

Yet *every* time I go through security – even before as a major airline pilot in uniform – I am still treated as a suspected terrorist. I always get a pat down.

What a waste.

john

November 24, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  7. karen

Why can't they screen everyone who goes near a plane? No matter if you're a passenger or a worker bee. Problem solved!

November 24, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  8. Annie Kate

Sounds like a full line-up tonight and that teaser about what one woman wore for her pat down has me curious! We're staying home this Thanksgiving and plan on having a quiet day with good food and some family over. Hope all of you have a good Thanksgiving.

November 24, 2010 at 9:35 pm |