November 22nd, 2010

Airport Insecurity: Join the Live Chat

You say you want 'em to keep their hands off you at the airport? Well, we've got news for you about the alternative. Those new scanners. We'll tell you about new research on how much they can apparently miss and it could be enough to take down an airliner. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The media can't have it both ways. They can't throw out inaccurate stories then blame people for quoting them.

November 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Libby

It's mind-boggling that Bachmann was re-elected.

November 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Meg

This would hardly be an inconvenience if people would just take stuff out of their pockets go through the scanners and shut up. You don't need pat downs unless the scanners go of and that isn't likely to happen unless you have something they can't identify. I bet the people refusing to go through the scanners because they want to keep their privacy in tact are the same ones posting naked pictures of themselves on facebook. So some stranger can see a generic outline of my body on a screen somewhere? Who cares!? It's no worse than if I wear jeans and a tight sweater. People who are self consious about their bodies should visit the gym rather than holding up lines for the rest of us at the airport. Blame the terrorists not the TSA and QUIT WHINING! If you ask me a scan/pat down is a small price to pay to keep my plane from bowing up.

November 22, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Janis

What? Sarah Palin wouldn't exist without the journalism she's dissing!

November 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh boy!!!!! I don't think so, Michelle Bachman!!!!! Disagree with her.

November 22, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  6. Ron kotkin

i think that it is important to recognize that anyone with a metal prothesis is going to have to go through a screening every single time they fly. There is a perception that a person would normally be screened on rare occasions. imagine if you were screened every time you had to fly. This has to be addressed.

November 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  7. Lori

Unfortunate for Ms Bachmann. I do think that she has a greater level of responsibility for what she says to the media.

November 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  8. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Rep. Bachman's statement is "over the top", not what Pres. Obama spent.
    Yes, i believe she is now back peddling now.
    Who is this woman?? Who voted her into office?

Eric E. is right, her statements are "absurd".
    Accountability? She, among a number of other politicians don't seem to understand the meaning of the word.

November 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  9. Donna

Children should not, can not, will not be asked to remove clothing by the TSA. Each child should be thought of as the child of one of our nation's leaders and should be treated with the utmost respect. That backdrop may help put some perspective on matters relating to the treatment of kids. STOP the madness.

November 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  10. Janis

I don't know if she has more media savy or we have less expectations of our politicians.

November 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  11. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The media blasted the trip cost of $200 million everywhere. Now the media is saying Bachman shouldn't have quoted the media.

November 22, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  12. Lori

I would not want my child to be pat down.

November 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  13. Kenya

Ms. Bachmann is a joke but she is just another of these politicians who come saying one thing and later return saying "I quoted from this or heard from that, it doesn't mean I believed it so leave me alone." Right, Ms. Bachmann.

November 22, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  14. Janis

That was a dirty trick for her to play. Outrageous behavior seems to get votes – ala the Palin effect.

November 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  15. Lori

I think there would have been less complaining if TSA had implemented a public information explanation for so we would know what to expect.

November 22, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Myron Severson

I don't like x-rays on my body. I wonder what the long term effect might be. Would I get cancer, maybe become steril, or have any skin defects due to the x-rays? Do they have any research saying the x-rays are not harmful to the body over a long period of time.

November 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  17. Emily

Good evening Dr. Gupta, 360°Team, Jo Ann, David, Megan, Nancy, Nicole, Gloria, Casey, Starr, & Bloggers!
    Good to see you hosting.

November 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Joanne

Why are we talking about what Obama's trip to India cost. We all know Bachman was wrong; I think she misinterpreted something that was stated in India's currency. But whatever, it's old news and have you ever known a politician who did not always talk himself/herself in or out of everything? Really now. Is that a slow news day?

November 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Mary

Gupta should not be telling everyone – including the terrorists – what explosives
    are not detected – even a photo of how
    to wear them.

November 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  20. Chris Burton

The current full body scanners make me feel more safe as a traveler, do will lose some privacy?...yes. But all things come at a price, and our price of safety is less privacy. If the TSA employees are behaving appropriately and doing their jobs to the best of their ability, permeation of our "personal bubble" is going to take place, again the cost we pay for safety.

November 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  21. Randy

Thursday I flew out of Denver and after clearing the metal detector TSA needed to "visually inspect" my hair. I have a 2 inch high purple mohawk. Not sure what could have been hidden there and not in the longer hair or head wraps that were allowed through at the same time. shouldn't TSA concentrate on actual threatening possibilities?

November 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hello everyone!!!
    I am sorry be late join with all of you......

Sirje,
    TSA already have scanner for everybody.

November 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  23. abraham

All of the recent bomb threats started in europe. If they do not adopt the same procedures what we do will little effect. Nobody is saying this.

November 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  24. Sue R. Canton MI.

It seems to me that the terrorists are taking a good look at how Americans are reacting to the enhanced security that we have now. I don't think that this system is going to protect us anymore then the way it was done before. The bottom line is that the bad guys who want to hurt us will find a way.I believe that their working hard in our country to find ways to prevent an attack.

November 22, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  25. Marjorie

why can't they use dogs for screening–they're accurate & non-invasive.

November 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  26. Janis

@Starr – I agree with you.

November 22, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  27. Dan

This measure is meant as a deterant. Did I miss something, or you did you not just tell potential terrorists how to beat the body scan?

November 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  28. Thomas Anderson

Americans need to suck it up and get real. If you don't approve of tighter security measures, take the Greyhound or stay at home. Five minutes extra of my time and brief physical contact with someone whom I will never again see is worth my life along with hundreds of others.

November 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  29. Sirje Walkowiak

Who scans the scanners?

November 22, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  30. Anssuya,SG

The lesser we complain the faster e process ; as long as the officers know their limits. Holidays will be less stressful then ...

November 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  31. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I feel like the terrorists have won.
    They're continued attempts to attack us are just enough to keep Gov. nervous and, in fact, end up "punishing" the American people.

Given the technology today, there has to be a better way to screen people, But Most of All, screen items in the cargo holds on passenger planes.

November 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  32. Jennifer

I really don't think it's a good idea to tell the terrorists exactly what they can and can't get through security.

November 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  33. Peter Taylor

I hope CNN already knows that the terrorist knows how to beat these screening measures?

If not, shame on you for telling everyone how to beat the system we are paying a fortune for to stay a step ahead.

It's fair to question the effectiveness of the TSA but unconscionable to share the details of our flaws or workarounds.

November 22, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  34. Lori

Hi Dr. Gupta. Hello Everyone!

November 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  35. Brenda Pancratz

I would perfer the a scanner for my children
    instead of stranger touching them all over

November 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  36. michelle

I think this is yet another example of the media hype.
    The fact is 2 million people fly each day , so only 1 percent
    is actually affected by this at all. I would hardly call that a
    backlash. Take a deep breath and step back. I guarantee
    there will be no mass protest on Wednesday. Why does the
    media assume that all of the the people complaining on the
    internet will actually be flying on that day ?

November 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  37. Simi Ajayi

People complaining are just spoilt. Choose one; a little screening/discomfort/pat down or another 9/11?

November 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  38. JeriB

I have an artificial eye. How will that show up in the scanner, and how can I prove its authenticity other than by removal?

November 22, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  39. Madison

The complainers are naive. Terrorists attack at the time when airports are most busy..and they slip through. They are evil, and no measure of security is inconvenient when our lives are being saved. I think the TSA is doing a fantastic job with the pressure they work under. IF they allow just one person to slip through...that person could possibly be a terrorist. I applaud them for the job they're doing. IF complainers need a reality check, they should re-watch -in slow motion- the plane going into the World Trade Center during 9/11. That is the sheer face of evil. These people want to hurt us, at any cost. They have went as far as sending a bomb in a printer cartridge. They won't stop trying, so God Bless the TSA for doing a really great job. There have been no attacks, so they ARE keeping us safe. Thank you.♥

November 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  40. Jennifer Boisvert

Good Point Sanjay, if something did happen, people would then complain they weren't doing enough. Can't win on either side. So what to do?

November 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  41. Janis

Don't they have some sort of lab equipment type thing that could pick up the slightest trace of certain chemicals just from the surrounding air – i.e. if you stepped thru some sort of chamber? I just think that if they think about it they could come up with a less obtrusive way of detecting explosives.

November 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  42. Erica

People are over reacting I prefer this than blowing up on a plane! Also I love AC360 but did we really need to show the criminals how to beat the scanners?!

November 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  43. Brenda Pancratz

my dad says he just gets a pat down, do to his
    plate in his knee. And he does'nt mind being pat down by good looking women. Seriouly we teach our children about good touching and bad touching. I would perfer the scanner for my children.

November 22, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  44. Jennifer Boisvert

I am happy to go through the scanner, and have been doing so for some time, if it means it increases safety on flights in ANY capacity. As long as it doesn't make them complacent about other security measures.

November 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  45. Janis

Hello everyone.

November 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  46. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Sanjay & Team 360. Hope you had a good weekend.
    Hello, David, Isabel, Nichole, Nancy, Megan, Emily, JoAnn-OH, Mike, Casey, Sharon Hastings, everyone.
    Hope everyone had a good weekend.

I am Not surprised one bit that the scanners do not detect everything! So much of the "security" at airports has been "window dressing" since 9/11.

November 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  47. Jennifer Boisvert

I travelled from Houston to Canada last weekend and security was just fine. They were respectful and thorough. The customer service ON the plane however? Different story...

November 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  48. Libby

~~Happy Monday everyone! :O) ~~

November 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  49. Donna

The pat_down everyone is complaining about is the same as the one you might experience if being searched by law enforcement. What's the big deal???

November 22, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening everyone.
    Looking forward to the show tonight.

November 22, 2010 at 10:01 pm |