November 15th, 2010

Standing Up to Pat Downs: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, standing up to pat downs and other airport security measures, like full body scans that fliers feel have gone way too far. One man's pat down videotape sparked this new round of outrage when he warned a TSA worker, "If you touch my junk, i'm gonna have you arrested." How did that turn out? We'll tell you. We're keeping them honest.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Emily, I think he is looking for both. he is a well known name and has done alot while in office so he is looking for the sympathy from everyone and looking for time so he can cover more of his secrets

November 15, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Rich L. in South Carolina

I am a business traveler, & on average fly on 30 to 40 flights annually & have for over 10 years. I have been through "Puffers" "Pat Down's", & "Full Body X-Rays". If these measures keep Americans safe, then I do not mind them. Remember, this is America, if you don't want to be screened, then DO NOT FLY!!!

Ask the families of the ill fated 911 Flights if they would have liked these measures in place on September 11th 2001.

To the gentleman that did not want his "Junk" touched, enjoy your 15 minutes of idiocy & fame, & I pray you are never on one of my flights!

November 15, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Anderson, you better believe that is corruption, but Rangel will probably get off on a technicality or loophole.

Rangel is a crook, pure and simple.

November 15, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Emily

@Heather,
    Seems like Rangel is looking for time & or sympathy?

November 15, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  5. Kirk

Keep in mind about the underwear guy, he was burned his groin because he didn't have a blasting cap (which would have set off the metal detector)

November 15, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Deborah

The days of graceful travel are over. I'm tired of being manhandled at airports and my water bottle or forgotten yogurt cup being treated like felony contraband. Transporting my father in a wheelchair, with a newly repaired broken back, drew glares from the TSA when I warned them not to jostle him. This new level of invasion is the last straw. I'm staying home. There's no allure to travel.

November 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree all of you, Good point, Rangel is out of his mind!!!!!! That is so outrage I have heard!

November 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Jack - Iowa

Safety is Number 1! These people that are complaining need to get over it or take other means to travel. I applaud the TSA for caring about our safety. It's quite obvious to me Mr Taner is seeking publicity out of all of this!

November 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Lori

It sounds like the committee will continue with their trial without Rangel and his attorneys.

November 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Kelly, PA

I agree with eric, wouldn't his high priced lawyers want to continue to be paid, therefore, advise him to set up a legal defense fund?

November 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  11. brian sledge

how about this, i don't want you on my airplane if you are not willing to comply with these regulations. nobody likes what has become of air travel and the hassles today however this is where we are. get over it, don't bog down the line, get with the program or take the bus. brian sledge aspen colorado

November 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Larry

Charlie Rangel is in denial. Classic symptoms. He is in shock because he never thought it would ever get this far. After all, he is THE Charlie Rangel.

November 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Joe Kroser

Very simple answer to the problem.
    If any person does not want to be examined either by a pat down or a Bodyscan, do not travel by air.
    They are free to travel by bus, use their own vehicle,and travel by ship overseas,
    They must NOT expect the majority of people to risk their lives because some people feel insecure about themselves. Or because they wish to hide their sinister objectives.

November 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Dennis

Please don't forget 911

I travel all over the world and these scanners ARE in London I have been through them many, many times and there is nothing uncomfortable or invasive about them

When you are travelling through major hubs in the world they don't have time to "watch people" expect to have a pat down or scan

Let's grow up people...this guy is just looking for an excuse to sue someone

November 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  15. Ronnie Bragg

Good grief! The "pat down" is for our safety. Do we really think security personnel want to play with our "junk". My guess is, it's less fun for them than the travelier. Look at it like this...at least someone has a job...wish we all were so lucky!

November 15, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  16. Janis

It's starting to sound like Mr. Rangel may be grandstanding and wants his constituents to know how indignant he is about all this to save political face.

November 15, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  17. jon

Once again people are put out of they're comfort zone. If you don't want to get patted down, or expose your self to radiation. This is America and we are Americans get in your SUV and drive. Don't get mad at someone who is trying to do their job and protect the country from terrorists. It's sad to see how quickly the public can forget.

November 15, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  18. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Emily, I think this is just a stall tactic. he knew about this and had plenty of time and money to get a lawyer

November 15, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Luke Londo

I have no problem taking off my shoes, but the pat-down procedure is reminiscent of a cop frisking a perpetrator. And, even the pilots' union encourages pilots to avoid the full-body scans. The TSA isn't doing a great job inspiring confidence in the necessity of these updated measures.

November 15, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  20. Deborah

You don`t want to be scanned Or searched at the airport? Don`t fly!

November 15, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Sue R. Canton MI.

I agree that Mr Rangel has had plenty of time to prepare for this trial. He's had more than enough time. He seems to be not taking these charges seriously.

November 15, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Carl

Anderson, you didn't ask the most obvious question. Are there other places in society where this kind of intrusion already takes place? Sure. I was in the hospital a couple years ago, and I experienced far more than a pat down. It was necessary in that particular situation, and it is no different at the airport. The threat is real, and the methods of prevention are necessary. I would certainly rather be patted down by a gate keeper than get on a plane with someone carrying a bomb. To object to this is ridiculous!

November 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Larry

I'm curious about those who have no choice but to fly. Some jobs require it. Yet, everyone is saying, if you don't want these procedures then obt out of flying.

November 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Gerri

I don't mind either of these personal invasions of my privacy ..for the sake of flight safety. However , I would like to state , that my dog is flying with me...does she have to be pat down and screened as well...what a bunch of nonsense...well upon contemplating...anyone who would place a bomb in their underwear ,just may put a bomb up their dogs' anal cavity? So upon conclusion ....safety first.

November 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Emily

Is this just a stall tactic by Rangel?

November 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Janet

I have a pacemaker and have not been able to go through the scanners at security checkpoints. I have been dealing with "pat downs" for almost 3 years and have had absolutely no problems since it is what I have to deal with. The "pat downs" are a bit more thorough than before...but have not had any issue of a TSA official being inappropriate.

November 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  27. Jennifer - Michigan

Too weird. I don't know what to think about Rep. Rangel's fiasco.

November 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  28. keith

the screening is wellintended, but i can go to my local airport (coos bay or) and go through there security that does not include a body scanner, then get into other airports, once you pass the security of the lesser secured airports your in the terminals of any airport in the country. if we re going to make things safer everywhere than every airport needs to have the same level of security.

November 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  29. patricia barclay

Radiation is not good for anyone. Check with your physcian before agreeing to a scan

November 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  30. ken

Could scan machines show a template of a body image instead of the body details? If something shows up on the scan, it could show up on the part of the template and the person could reasonably be subject to a pat down at that point.

November 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Alex

Ive had a mix of experiences. Some courteous some not. What I want to know: is it really safe and what about the profits the people who make these machines? Lobbiest ties to their implementation? Also is the severe pat down the best alternative that can be offered?

November 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  32. fran mccarthy

i want to know if janet napolitano will go through the machine, or even better, how about doing a pat down on her. and i also believe the president and his wife should also use the machines, or go through pat downs. be fair, all politicians should go through the machines too. i abhor the invasion of privacy, i wont fly if i have to go through this violation.

fran mccarthy
    carmel, new york

November 15, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  33. Janis

So what happens now? If he can't afford an attorney, does that mean he thinks it will all go away?

November 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Eugene

We have gone through body scans on several occasions and have no problem with them. We don't have a right to fly, and if TSA doesn't use the technology available to protect us, they're not doing their appointed job.

November 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Lori

Rangel's story is outrageous.

November 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Cessy - Chicago

more drama in Washington....

November 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Heather - Spokane, WA

His actions today just proves to me that Rangel is guilty

November 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Paula, Colorado

Rep. Rangel is almost comical.

November 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  39. Lanie

Has anyone discussed the radiation effects of these scanners? Are they really safe for pregnant women? I don't mind a pat down but these "new" descriptions seem to be invading personal liberties. True I do not have to fly, but in our modern society that just seems backwards. I feel like TSA is really making some violating choices. I feel like we're playing catch up to those who wish harm on others.... shoes... clothing... Are we going to be naked next year? I want to be safe but I feel like this is not the best answer.

November 15, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  40. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@JoAnn-OH – I agree with you re: animals being smart. I got so carried away with airport security, i forgot to mention how much i am looking forward the the week of animals studies!

Anderson, you are very right, Mr. Rangel has had a lot of chances to hire counsel!

November 15, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  41. Kathy

I hope people are more focused on safety than touching my "JUNK"!! If a person feels this way there are other means of transportation, bus, cars, trains. As for checking children and nuns, the people we are dealing with have no regard for the young. My son was in Iraq and said he encountered a child around 10 with a bomb wired to him and the devise failed. Thank god for my son!!!

November 15, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Wanda Inwood

Hi Anderson I am a woman, type 1 diabetic and wear an insulin pump. I had the same experience this weekend because I wear an insulin pump. My pump as well as my hands were swabbed, I asked why was told for explosives. Then I had the full pat down, everywhere including between my legs by a woman guard. I was upset and felt very violated. So will all people with medical devices be treated like this? Will a child or adolescent wearing a pump be subjected to this?

November 15, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  43. kathie from maryland

Why does everyone always think if it's a kid or a grandma they couldn't possible be part of a terrorist plot? Your talking about people who have no problem with suicide. If this was the day after 9/11 no one would be complaining.

November 15, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Martina

All the people who rightfully, they do have a right, if they choose not to do the pat down or the scan should be allowed to fly altogether on the same plane with others who do not want to be searched. I want to fly with people who want and have been searched. I am NOT going to die because I am being felt up/scanned. Get a life people. I believe they know more about "threats" than we are allowed to know.

November 15, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  45. George

Its amazing what people will give up. I prefer to not fly not because of the search but the rudeness and uncaring people who are doing it.

November 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  46. Ron Genin

The government has gone to far with airport security. I can tell you I will not allow some TSA goon view or touch the private parts of my female loved ones. This is as much about control, or maybe more than security. The Government is out of control in every way! Until the people rebel and protest this kind of crap will continue!

November 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Elizabeth Lowe

As someone in the 60 something demographic flying cross-country this week, I fully expect to be patted down, etc. as part of the group targeted for this experience.
    There has to be some logical reason why people who have no possible profile for terrorist activity are being chosen for this focus.
    Could the reason possibly be that the security people have to meet a certain quota for their pat-downs, and focusing on people least likely to protest, like nuns, children, and old ladies, help them meet their daily quota? Just wondering...

November 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  48. TJ

This is being used beyond the intended use we are debating tonight. I recently flew out of DIA after a festival. It was clear this additional screening targeted individuals that went to the festival, young, long hair... The extreme pat down was to look for drugs, not bombs. To what extent is the government allowed to take safety to promote its other law enforcement priorities?

November 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Janis

Mr. Rangel is good at deflecting criticism of his behavior. He doesn't appear to be too organized.

November 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Rangel didn't know he had that "option"?! That statement alone tells you he has no business in Congress.

November 15, 2010 at 10:18 pm |