November 15th, 2010

Standing Up to Pat Downs: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, standing up to pat downs and other airport security measures, like full body scans that fliers feel have gone way too far. One man's pat down videotape sparked this new round of outrage when he warned a TSA worker, "If you touch my junk, i'm gonna have you arrested." How did that turn out? We'll tell you. We're keeping them honest.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Carmine Niagara Falls Canada

I just went through the pat down today in Ft. Lauderdale. Thank goodness for it. Better safe than sorry. Get over yourself! Looks like there a lot of short term memories out there. The small vocal minority seems to be getting the press!

November 15, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  2. Lisa in Louisville

I have mixed feelings about this...yes, it's intrusive, but I DO want to be safe when I fly.

November 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  3. thomas

Hi Anderson, the debate misses actually the mood of the general public of having enough of the hassle of security checkpoints. Terrorism has succeeded. It managed to create paranoia to undermine democratic processes which now reminds me on the days of the KGB running Russia.

November 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  4. lisal -canada

without a doubt, security and privacy are key issues – as with so many things, balance is important – i suppose the level of intrusiveness and uncomfortableness is kind of an individual thing – seems important

November 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  5. John Plaza

I would like to know what the radiation levels of this system emits and have the test done by a valid 3rd party. I travel a great deal and there are reports of high levels of radiation from these systems. What are the facts?

November 15, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  6. Joe Kaehler

everyone talks about your rights when you fly, what about the others that are flying with you that deserve a right to fly safely?

air travel is not the only mode of transportation, if you don't like what the TSA HAS to do don't fly.

November 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  7. Noaharc

Anderson, I am happy America has a tighter screening process–Britian did not have a 9/11. enough said

November 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  8. Cessy - Chicago

interesting topic...

anyone who passes thru Chicago should expect a thorough scan/ pat down and questioning... We have one of the biggest and busiest airports in the country... SAFETY FIRST!!!

November 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Are they just as strict with the baggage put on these planes? I would be just as worried about that.

November 15, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  10. Emily

@kathie from maryland,
    I agree with you!
    The very same people that LOOK for the fights at the airports would be screaming the Loudest!

November 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  11. Heather - Spokane, WA

If it is going to make flights safer then I am willing to be scanned or patted down or stripped, either way! They may not like what they see, but that is what they signed up for! 🙂

November 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  12. ZoeAnn, Oregon

I went through the screening in KC and it sure didn't look like they had a separate room. 2 people were behind a partial screened area and the TSA person went ahead had me stand around after the screening and the people behind the screen waved me through. So much for a separate room with one person and privacy. The screened area was two sided.

November 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  13. Lori

I would rather go through the xray than be touched by someone I do not know.

November 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  14. Sue R. Canton MI.

Everyone has to go through security at the airport. I would'nt want to fly if I knew that someone didn't go through the process. I just don't know if this is the way it should be done. I'm even more concerned about the cargo on the plane.

November 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I think I agree with TSA, But I also disagree with John Tyner....... TSA must required to screen if there is problem and then process through it.

November 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  16. Aaron

I guess this guy was just looking for his four minutes to fame. He was prepared that such a situation would arise and went ready with his audio recorder. TSA is working for the security of this country. Let them do their job. This kind of travelers do more harm to the country's security than any help. If this guy is so concerned, he should stay at home.

November 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  17. Emily

So much for "we're not going to let the terrorists win"!

November 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  18. Michael in L.A.

I agree, Emily. It does look like Tyner went to the airport with an aggressive agenda. And I'm glad he recorded the interaction between himself and TSA agents because it reveals that he was treated with the utmost respect and tact and was explained the process in a very straightforward manner. I applaud San Diego TSA's behavior!

November 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  19. Jennifer - Michigan

I can see how it would feel very intrusive.

November 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  20. Dave

One person who wants to fly but doesn't want to submit to screening (or who just wants to cause trouble) has absolutely no right to risk everyone else who is flying. The TSA workers seemed to handle themselves very professionaly and with dignity. The flyer, seems to just want to be difficult.

November 15, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  21. kathie from maryland

If someone got on a plane with a weapon and threatened the passangers in anyway, these same people would be up in arms that the airport DIDN'T have ENOUGH security.

November 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  22. Carrie

Lilly Lago you are so right about the 14 year old girl or boy for that matter. What are our rights?

November 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  23. Mark - Arkansas

Hi Anderson and hello Everyone else.

That guy should be ashamed, we are in an age of where traveling around the country or anywhere else in the world is not safe. I think that maybe the airport should let people who don't want to be pat down or scanned be allowed to fly on "not so secure" flights along with the complaining pilots. Its a different time, as americans, we should be volunteering.

November 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  24. Lily Lago

Happy Monday Mr. Cooper. Good show tonight!

November 15, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  25. Janis

Those scanners are not as bad as you think. I also wouldn't mess with the TSA. I had a bad experience at LAX and it wasn't because of the body scanner it was the turf wars between the airline I was flying and TSA. The airline customers are getting caught up in a war about the amount of carryon luggage that is going through the lines. TSA is causing flyers to miss planes even if you allow and hour and a half to get through. It was awful. The airline agents tried to get us through but the amount of checking by TSA was way beyond normal.

November 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  26. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360, hope you all had a good weekend.
    Hello, David, Isabel, Nichole, Nancy, Megan, Emily, JoAnbn, Mike, Casey...everyone.
    Personally, i do not have a problem with the machines.
    However, i do feel that the flying public may have true difficulty with the images and/or pat down.
    I think this issue needs more exploration and discussion for public understanding and acceptance.
    Of course, NOT storing theimages would be a start!

November 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  27. Maureen T., Canada

Good evening Anderson. Another exciting news day!

November 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  28. Heather - Spokane, WA

Flying is a privelege, it is the most expensive way to travel today. You go into an airport knowing that you will be searched either by scanner or pat down. If you do not want to go through that then do not fly! It is plain and simple! There are other ways to travel without going through searches

November 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  29. Cessy - Chicago

Hello! everyone... Happy Monday!
    Hi! Anderson 🙂

November 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  30. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The trouble is they are targeting the wrong people. While they are patting down grandma, the terrorists are marching right past them.

November 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  31. Emily

Someone tried to blow-up a plane with a bomb in his underwear. Is anyone 'really' surprised that security issues have gotten to this point now?

November 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  32. Lori

Everyone is subject to the same rules at the airport.

November 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  33. Carrie

You walk through the security check and you have just "submitted yourself" to a stranger touching you where you are not comfortable. I just wanted to go to Florida!

November 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  34. Lily Lago

I think that pat downs are exstreamily intrusive! And a lot of the people who do them sometimes do them without real cause. It's happens where they make a 14 year old girl strip. That's traumatizing. Just because their the government they're aloud to violate you? That's not right. I don't want to walk through the scanner & they be able to see me, they could be perverts for all I know.

November 15, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Kevin Smith-Poole

I feel it violates your rights to a point. My husband travels every week and I would prefer him not being molested weekly.

November 15, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  36. Bill O'Brien

There is simply no credible reason for enhanced security as airports. Flights from Las Vegas to Albany have never been hijacked or used as weapons of mass destruction.

November 15, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  37. Anne

Gee, I thought I made a valid point. No?

November 15, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Emily

I think that man went to the airport with an attitude already.(looking for a fight with the TSA worker).

November 15, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  39. Carrie

It has all gone too far. "standard pat down" for a mother and child.

November 15, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  40. Lori

Everyone has a duty to follow the safety rules when flying.

November 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  41. JulieK

Much like casual friday...someone will mess this up. Ie touch someone inappropriately,etc.we need a hands free scan. This begs for lawsuits.

November 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  42. Janis

Hello everyone.

November 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  43. josh

pat downs cause more harm than people think

November 15, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Lori

Hi Anderson. Hi Everyone. Hi Emily.

November 15, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  45. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on. I hope you had a good weekend.
    Sounds like an interesting program tonight. I can understand the discomfort with some airport screening measures.

November 15, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!

Hope you have great weekend! 🙂
    Happy Monday night!!!

November 15, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Michael in L.A.

I am glad John Tyner was refused access to his flight for his refusal to be screened. I don't want to fly with anyone who hasn't gone through the process - whatever it is that the TSA has moved us to. If Tyner and others don't want to be screened, then they should drive to their destinations.

November 15, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Jennifer - Michigan

Hello, good evening. Good show tonight – looking forward to the animals segment.

November 15, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening everyone.
    Looking forward to the show tonight.

November 15, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone, hope you had a great weekend!

November 15, 2010 at 10:00 pm |