November 9th, 2010

Sarah Palin Not Backing Down: Join the Live Chat

Sarah Palin is bashing the Federal Reserve and its Chairman Ben Bernanke - bashing and not backing down - even when the facts prove her wrong. We're keeping them honest. Plus, Pres. Obama speaks to the Muslim world and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sue from Syracuse

Pres.Obama gave an Excellent speech in India. Another very good speech in Indonesia.

November 9, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  2. Jane - WI

I disagree with Mr. Toobin when it comes to the Black Panther case. We saw all sorts of hand wringing by Democrats when they tried to say that the Bush administration was "politicizing" the Justice Dept. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, especially with the Black Panther case, we need to find out if this administration has been "politicizing" the Justice Dept.

November 9, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  3. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Well, I am sure that they are mean well when they are running for office. It kind of like a game of twist. One may start out straight, but end of twisted at no fault of one own.

November 9, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  4. Jay Harris

Anderson is right, Palin is wrong.

This episode is a case in point of a major problem with modern American politics: there simply is not much integrity with public leaders.

Palin should have made clear her mistake and established commonground with the reporter. This would have been a non-issue and this story does not make AC360 tonight.

November 9, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  5. Libby

You are absolutely correct Catherine! If people would take the time to read non-partisan fact check's about these phony Black Panther stories, they'd realize how taken they've been by Fox and those who started them. I'm glad I watch CNN!

November 9, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Sue from Syracuse

@Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio
    I disagree. I think it is important for any elected official coming in on the promise to reduce debt to have at least one specific target program. I was surprised that he could not come up with even one.

November 9, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  7. Emily

@Jo Ann, I wonder why The New Black Panther case has been ignored by the DOJ?

November 9, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  8. Nancy in Oregon

I didn't follow his campaign, Jo Ann. Did he say he would or would not cut things while running (before seeing numbers)? Is that why the question?

November 9, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Victoria Clift

I want you to know that I worked for Smith's before it was purchased by Fred Meyer and then by Kroger and I know the business. They play games with prices to get people in their stores. It is the only way they make big bucks. But they are much more wealthy than you know. Don't ask.

November 9, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  10. Lisa in Louisville

Rand Paul wants to do away with the Dept. of Education – at least that was one of his campaign promises – or threats.

I would love to go 24 hours and not have to hear about Rand Paul, Sarah Palin, or Mitch McConnell.

November 9, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Sharon Hastings

My computer has a bad case of hiccups so I'm regrouping. But yes, the GOP is furious with Obama for many reasons. They didn't like so much of what he has done. Now, with some power, they are going to get back at the administration if they can. More politics as usual and as usual the American people are left wanting.

November 9, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I am unfamiliar with the Black Panther "case".

Can anyone enlighten me and tell me how important the invstigation is?

November 9, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  13. Jim Romeo

It amazing to me that David Gergen could say that Palin's 'inaccuracy' isn't that significant a concern. This is a major political figure in the US commenting on an major issue: the economy and accuracy is not that significant. Palin's comments and response to the correction are secondary to what seemed like a willingness on the part of a major media analyst to accept her inacurracy!

November 9, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

I find the older I get, the more cynical I am with politicians. It's very frustrating.

November 9, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Bonnie Royce

I find Sara Palin's rhetoric extremely dangerous especially since she is a good speaker. Misquoting or bending facts to fit your message is scary. I think its important to point it out, though I would like to see her less in the media.

November 9, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Catherine

The New Black Panther Party is very harmless but they are a dream for Fox News. I know I don't care about them a bit. Much ado about nothing.

November 9, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Nancy in Oregon

So true, Mike–Syracuse. It too often happens that the 'hearings' seem like grandstanding and political attack to me...not a search for the truth.

November 9, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I saw this "interview" with Paul. That was a ridiculous question by Spitzer. Paul isn't even in office yet, how can he possibly know what can or cannot be cut until he sees the numbers?

November 9, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  19. Libby

The Black Panther group is yet another big red herring dreamed up by a group of radio hosts on the Repuplic Party's side. I say "bring on the investigation"! Just watch though- you won't see one, because they know it's a farce.

November 9, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  20. Lori

It seems that politics has become nonsense.

November 9, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Ava, Houston, TX

One thing I continue to notice is that Sara Palin is great at manipulating facts and people. If people read what she says she's read, her following would diminish sharply. Maybe we should listen more to Suze Orman and less to politicians. It's still up to us.

November 9, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  22. Sue from Syracuse

The New Black Panther case MUST BE investigated.

November 9, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Ruth E. Walker

Isn't it about time Sarah Palin went back to Alaska and devoted some attention to her family?

She is obviously not qualified to discuss the economy. Grocery prices have not gone up significantly in the past year.

November 9, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  24. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The rich don't feel the price rise at the gas pump or in the grocery store so they are unconcerned with how it affects the middle and lower classes.

November 9, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  25. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Most hearings by either party are just a chance to grandstand.

November 9, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Louie

Wow! Who do we believe these days, cable news reporters or politicians? They both sound so credible. Yet they both have a slimy feel to them. Oh well, it's all just entertainment...

November 9, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Anthony Spencer

Dear Anderson:

Thanks for pointing out the hypocrisy of Sarah Palin. The fact that she's even relevant in American Politics speaks to the level of intelligences of the American People and how misinformed people will follow anybody with a loud voice. We're a country with serious problem and we need serious leaders to help solve these problems. Sarah Palin is an opportunist who belongs on Saturday Night Live, not the center of American politics.

November 9, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  28. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Jo Ann, I agree. The New Black Panther case is a huge deal, ignored by the DOJ.

November 9, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  29. lisal -canada

don't those hearings use taxpayer money? who pays for the cost of all of that?

November 9, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  30. JJ, Wallkill, NY

Where is it that Sarah Palin earned her PhD in economics? I do not recall her complaining about $140/bbl. of crude oil in 2008, which greatly benefited her state. This was one of the reasons why she got the pick for VP. Was it not?

November 9, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  31. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Nancy, Pain would fan a lot less flames if the MSM didn't give her so many matches.

November 9, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  32. John S

I don't believe that Palin should comment on a topic she has absolutely no knowledge of. The Fed's role is to specifically buy t bills and bonds. But of course her degree in journalism gives her license to dictate monetary policy to a former Princeton University professor of economics with an eco phd from MIT. Really Palin? Really?

November 9, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  33. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Mike....wish I were such a 'little' person and 'housewife' who goes grocery shopping like SP with that income!!

November 9, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  34. Glenn

When Sarah Palin proves to the American people that she took and passed Economics 101 maybe she will get some creditability on her statements about the economy.

November 9, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  35. Jane

Deirdre....smaller packaging with same price hase been going on for decades.....current prices of groceries lately have just gone up period. Same size, same packaging, just more expensive.

November 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I disagree with Toobin. An investigation of the DOJ's decision to drop charges against the New Black Panther Party for voter intimidation is not nonsense.

November 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  37. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

As the price of oil, and hence gas goes up; so does the cost of transporting food. That gets passed on.

November 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  38. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I can't beleive,that with the problems we have in the country, that investigations (and the money they cost), will help in anyway.

I do not beleive that Pres. Obama or his Aministration have done anything (yet) that would call for numerous and expensive investigations.

Mr. Toobin makes a good point that investigations can act as a positive tool, but right now, i think Congress & the President need to Focus on the Big problems that we have right now.

November 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Nancy in Oregon

Yeah, I hear you, Jo Ann. We all do, of course. But some people are really blatant and over the top with it. I can't shake the feeling that SP is one of those.

November 9, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Mike

Sarah has her facts straight, sugar, cotton, cocoa, silver, gold, copper, gas, most have doubled or tripled in price over the last year, QE is nothing more than stealing from the future while creating a false demand for our treasuries, inflation is an increase in money supply, eventually it shows up in all prices paid, good luck America

November 9, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  41. Janis

Isn't this the way it is when a congressional government is on the horizon? The 'investigations', etc. Obama needs to hang on to his power. They're trying to take it away with all the posturing.

November 9, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  42. john in chile

Forget Palin. The story is Obama's speech in Indonesia. Wow! That man is just brilliant. What a vision. Thank God for this presidency.

November 9, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  43. Tom

Palin's reaction is so typical of the conservative fringe she's leading...make every comment a controversy pitting her against the powers that be (the administration, the media, etc.). The problem is she has followers that can't think for themselves and take everything she says as fact.

November 9, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  44. Nancy in Oregon

I don't think all the GOP sees her as amusement, Mike. Some are frustrated by her, others want to use her. But she has plenty of her own ambition in the storehouse, I think...and she's very manipulative and inflammatory. I think she bears keeping an eye on.

November 9, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  45. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Why is this so surprising? Didn't the Democrats set "their own agenda" when they took over Congress?

November 9, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  46. Brian K

Palin is not wrong. CPI that is often reported removes Food and Energy. The food index rose 0.3 percent in September after a 0.2 percent
    increase in August.

Since June, Corn is up 80%, Wheat 60+%, Soybeans 45+%, Oats 100+%, Oil 30+% ... those are real numbers. Food prices are (and have been) rising. Eggs are up 30 cents a dozen in the past couple weeks.. .gas up 20 to 30 cents, butter, cheese, milk, all up.

November 9, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  47. Mike

And, how about the fact that she used the phrase "even little people like me?" What is little about being an (alas) international celebrity who made $15 Million dollars last year.

November 9, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Judy Clark

Hello Anderson:

I live in Maine in a small town called Skowhegan and Sarah Palin is correct. I have noticed in the last three weeks our groceries and our resturant prices for coffee have risen very high. We are a very poor State and we cannot afford much more higher prices in our groceries. There is a lot of people in Maine that do not have jobs and it is hard to get by every day with the high groceries prices. One place that I have notice the higher prices is Walmart. They say that they are a discount store well not anymore. So Sarah Palin is right when she took after the Fed today.

November 9, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Jane

Grocery prices have risen already and have been for weeks. Just today, my brand of coffee rose 40 cents from last week.
    Oil nearing 90 dollars a barrel...Palin is absolutely correct.

November 9, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  50. Betty

Sarah Palin doesn't know what she is talking about most of the time. I wonder who is writing her speeches.
    Thank you Anderson for keeping them honest, but you really have a job with all the stuff coming out of the mouths of these politicians.
    The sad thing is, that so many people believe everything they hear.

November 9, 2010 at 10:18 pm |