November 8th, 2010

Keeping them Honest: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, Keeping Them Honest, an assistant attorney general who targeted a gay college student in his spare time has been fired for conduct unbecoming a state employee. Andrew Shirvell's attorney is blaming the liberal media for his client's troubles. We'll let you be the judge. Plus, is Rand Paul flip-flopping on a campaign promise.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sharon Hastings

Amazing solving that phrase. I think you should challenge her Anderson to see who is best.

Good night everyone. Good show as usual.

November 8, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Emily

Good evening Randi, 360°Team, Jo Ann, David, Megan, Nicole, Nancy, Gloria, Casey, Starr, & Bloggers!

November 8, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Libby

~Nighty night sweet 360 bloggers!~

November 8, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! "And she really had a good feeling for it!"

November 8, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank youand good night Anderson & Team 360. Thank you for a great show tonight.

Good night all fellow writters, enjoyed bloggingwith you.
    Wish everyone a safe and peaceful day tomorrow.

The shot: Great solve!! That's cute, the greatest day of her life with WOF also with AC360 too!
    AC, great interview with the winner!

November 8, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Sue R. Canton MI.

Goodnight AC360 Team and fellow bloggers.
    Good show tonight Anderson.

November 8, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Lori

Good night everyone! Sweet dreams!

November 8, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Keely

I think instead of putting him to death, if that is what he wanted, he needs to be put in a cell, alone, by himself, for the rest of his life. Not able to communicate with anyone, no watching tv or working out or whatever it is that inmates are allowed to do. He just should be in a room alone forever.

BUT if they were going to put him to death, they need to do it. There is so much evidence that says he is the one without a doubt that did this crime, he should be put to death tomorrow.

November 8, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  9. Karen, MN

Great show! Good night everyone.

November 8, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  10. Emily

@Casey,
    That sounds like it would have been interesting.
    (in the audience to see the behind the scenes stuff)

November 8, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!! I love president Obama dances in India.
    congrats for Cathy took one letter on Wheel of fortune.......

Good night Anderson, Megan, Nicole, Martina Ilstad, Emily, Gloria, Dodie, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Adelaide, Betty Ann, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Gabriela, A.Smith, Devin, Karin, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Charlotte, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, others and my friends Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night!
    Have a great night and sleep tight everyone!!!! 😀
    Anderson,
    Have a great night, good sleep at home after work!!!! See you tomorrow night!!! Have a plenty sleep! 😀

November 8, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Lori

Pat Sajak has been doing that show for a long time.

November 8, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  13. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Good night Emily, Nancy in Oregon, Starr, Nicole, Mike, and Megan.

November 8, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  14. Nancy in Oregon

Good night, people....sleep well.

November 8, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Heather - Spokane, WA

How on earth can you solve a 7 word puzzle on one letter???? That is crazy! have a good night everyone

November 8, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Sue R. Canton MI.

@Jo Ann,,,,My thoughts about the death penalty have changed a bit. I agree with you when it comes to heinous crimes like this one.

November 8, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  17. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Holy Mackeral Caitlin! I remember being in the studio audience watching Wheel Of Fortune years before Vanna came on the scene. It is amazing what they can do with cameras (and smoke and mirrors).

November 8, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Karen, MN

My mom never misses "the wheel". Seriously she plans dinner around the show.

November 8, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  19. Emily

Ken Jennings was very good.

November 8, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  20. Libby

Solving that puzzle with one letter was amazing!! :-O

November 8, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  21. lisal -canada

congratulations

November 8, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  22. Karen, MN

Wow, she has great closer.

November 8, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  23. Emily

Wow!
    Where did she get that feeling?

November 8, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Emily

@Lori
    "How could Hayes live with himself after what he did?"
    How could anyone even think of doing such an outrageous thing?
    Must be a part-psychopath or similar. How would someone even think of something that evil?

November 8, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Jean, Toronto

If I had my way I would immediately execute that man. He may want to die but he must understand that his soul will appear before God for his eternal judgment and for what he has done. He will be punished and banished forever and eternally suffer. This man and his accomplice have an evil heart. How could they be so heartless and after Mrs. Petit gave them $15,000?
    Words are insufficient to express my feelings. There should be no appeals. This will also cost the US tax payers an exorbitant sum of money.
    My heartfelt sympathy to Mr. Petit and the rest of his family at what happened to him, his wife and daughters. He knows what he has gone through and is still undergoing for losing his entire family. How he is still suffering. May God be with him.

November 8, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  26. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Starr-'if the convicted person genuinely requests his attorneys to NOT follow through with anymore action to save his life, can he then be executed sooner?'

It depends on the state

November 8, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  27. Sharon Hastings

If his sentence is like other death sentences, it will be years before it happens, sometimes 20 years. In the meantime, without protection, many in prison don't like criminals who abuse and kill children. Their justice can be more swift.

November 8, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  28. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Sue R.Canton MI, "for the first time I'm for the death penalty".

I have always been in favor of the death penalty, especially for heinous crimes like this one. It is just too bad Hayes won't suffer like his victims did.

November 8, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  29. Simone (Canada)

So nice yo see Joe Johns every evening with u, I find him very calming and presents the info nice and clear

November 8, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  30. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Jo Ann. Totally. I have mixed feelings about the death penalty sometimes, but in cases like this, once it is given, I think it should be swiftly carried out. Esp. now, with DNA evidence to back up the other evidence.

November 8, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  31. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@JoAnn – it does take years and years of appeals.

However, if the convicted person genuinely requests his attorneys to NOT follow through with anymore action to save his life, can he then be executed sooner?

Does anyone know?

November 8, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  32. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Lori-'How could Hayes live with himself after what he did?'

I think that is why he wants to die is he realized what he did

November 8, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  33. Nancy in Oregon

I would think so, Emily. Or just stop eating and drinking.

November 8, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  34. Nancy in Oregon

Exactly-the word 'closure' is such a phony word...at the very least it's wishful thinking, but it can sound so insensitive to me. Like the listener wants the person to have 'closure' because he doesn't want to hear about the pain the person has anymore. I think it's very often a selfish term.

November 8, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  35. Leigh

Steven Hayes smiled?!!! He wants to die. He should sit in jail and be forced to live with the knowledge of what he has done for the rest of his life. He took part in a crime against children, he should be left with the general population of the prison. They will take care of him.

November 8, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  36. Sue R. Canton MI.

I'm still confused about the way I'm thinking,,because for the first time I'm for the death penalty. Someone like Steven Hayes doesn't deserve to live or be taken care of with taxpayers money.

November 8, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  37. Emily

If Steven Hayes REALLY wants to die, he can wave ALL his future appeals.

November 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Karen, MN

This is the most horrible story I have ever heard.

November 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Kenya

I do hope Dr. Petit can find healing from this horrific ordeal as he moves forward with his life.

November 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Nancy in Oregon, "I was surprised....and relieved."

The trouble with the death penalty is that it is not carried out quickly enough. There are too many appeals. Hayes will live another 20 years before he gets the needle and there is always a chance that Connecticut might overturn the death penalty and he and his demon cohort will end up with life in prison on taxpayer money.

November 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  41. Emily

It's that just sick?!
    The way that family was tortured, it's just heart breaking.

November 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  42. Lori

How could Hayes live with himself after what he did?

November 8, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks for jury and district attorney beat Steven Hayes to be death row. My heart goes to William Peiti and his family, I am glad Steve Hayes found guilty back jail.

November 8, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  44. Starr, formerly known as vincent

My heart just breaks when i hear Dr. Petit speak about his daughters.

I pray that he can somehow live eventually with some kind of peace.

I am relieved that the jury found him guilty for the death penalty.

November 8, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  45. Sue

I try to be a firgiving person. I sometimes wish there were a harsher penalty for sickos. I just can't get my arms around stories like this.

November 8, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  46. Sharon Hastings

It's hard to be glad about someone getting the death penalty, I'll just say it seems like an appropriate justice. I would have hated to have been on that jury and had to hear and see the evidence in this crime.

November 8, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Heather - Spokane, WA

Did Hayes really think he was going to get away without getting the death penalty after what he and his friend did to that family? His friend is going to get the same thing he will

November 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  48. Lori

I really do not understand how anyone could think that whether Hayes was a follower or not would make a difference in his sentence.

November 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  49. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "Even the death penalty is not punishment enough for Hayes. Maybe his cell mates can show him what real punishment looks like."
    I Completely agree that the death penalty is too easy to Steven Hayes. I think it would have been a real pyrrhic victory if he didn't receive it.

November 8, 2010 at 10:42 pm |