November 5th, 2010

Playing Politics with Health Care: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360, we’re Keeping Them Honest, pointing the double-talk mirror at politicians who said one thing on the campaign trail and are doing the opposite now. They slammed President Obama for putting health care reform first and jobs second. But now that they’ve won the election, health care reform suddenly is their number one focus. Tonight, playing politics with health care and jobs.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kaytee

@ Nancy in Oregon
    That has been there goal from day one and remains their goal...get Obama out. And they are very open about it.

November 5, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  2. Joe

I am so sick of Washington. We have a new bunch that continue to not care about us now that they are in. I thought I would not ever feel this way. Sick

November 5, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  3. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Nigel, Independents voted overwhelmingly in favor of Republicans this time. It's Democrats who are the odd man out.

November 5, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  4. Jay

I am fuming! This cannot be happening. Republicans everywhere have figuratively declared "war" on Democrats! This cannot be happening! This will not happen. OBAMA/BIDEN 2012! I still have some hope in Obama!!!!!

November 5, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  5. Cal

I would not be surprised to see Obama Care repealed they say the house can't do it by themselves and I agree. But I think there are plenty of democrates that had this shoved down their throats that they, both the house and the senate would have some democrates that would sign on.

November 5, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  6. William

The Republicans knew very well that they could not repeal Health-care when they were spreading those lies out on the stump.

Get ready America because the voters who voted Republican a couple of days ago are about to witness the Republican famous smoke and mirror trick.

November 5, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  7. Hugh

Now it seems like the GOP can juggle Health Care reform and create Jobs at the same time since they are so linked together – wow is that a new thing – Didn't the GOP slam Our President for doing the same thing – Pot calling the kettle black.

November 5, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Kathie

Give Obama at least half the time to fix what the appointed Bush administration destroyed.

November 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  9. Nancy Houtz

People have been hoodwinked by Republican propaganda about the Health Care issue. I haven't had a single person able to explain to me why they oppose it based on any facts.
    Very few voted Republican because of health care - they voted Republican out of FEAR. Period. They didn't understand how long it takes to revive the job market after the horrible job losses of the Bush Administration. I am sickened by the Tea Party members who think they have the answers. Pure foolishness.

Nancy – Loveland, CO 74 years old independent

November 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  10. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nancy

Again, you point out an important issue.

It certainly does appear the re-election begins the day after an election.

I agree with you re: getting any congressional work done -NOT.

Our country needs education to compete with the rest of the world, we need to develop jobs that will stay in the country, we need alternative energy sources, on and on.

And all the Republicans seem to want to do is repeal health care and impeach the President?!

November 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  11. Emily

Nina,
    "How can one expect it in 2 years? Outrageous!"
    The attention span of people is much shorter than it once was. I don't think that it would take 30yrs to recover from, however, there is 2 wars on-going and much to recover from.

November 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  12. Jim P

The republicans gave the insurance the power they have with their health insurance makeover in the 1990's. This gave the insurance companies power over Medical Dr. called HMO's.

November 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  13. Nicole The Netherlands

Good Evening,Randi,Anderson AC360 team, Emily, Jo Ann, Starr, Nancy, Sharon, Sree, Gloria everyone.

Do hope some sort of healthcare reform will survive. Having health care insurance (and having to pay for it)is a much better way to live!
    As a say from a "socialist" country 😉

November 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  14. Harry

Health care is a diversion. The Republicans place jobs for the middle class at about a 4th level priority. Their purpose is to enrage poorly-informed, generally poorly educated, people who will support them thinking that they will be helped. Let's hear from the Republicans about jobs. When that problem is solved, then we can play the other games.

November 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  15. Vicky

What's more important, life or money?

November 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  16. Mike

For all you progressives, come to Massachusetts and see what universal health care has done to this state. We now have a $2Billion structual deficit and all the promises that were made have failed.

November 5, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  17. Kaytee

Republicans are really good at one thing...repeat a lie long enough and people will believe it. That is how they vilified healthcare reform.

November 5, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  18. Nigel

I still don't understand how MOST of the Republican voters are against HEALTHCARE when they are so overtly Pro-Life...I would love to hear them explain how that is even possible...or fair.

The Republicans are expecting WAY too much from Obama in just 2 years...it is clear that they have an agenda in alignment with the corporations, not the people!

November 5, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  19. lisal -canada

it would be interesting to know what percentage of Dems, Repubs and TeaParty supporters are out of work at this time and have been for some time

November 5, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  20. Zach

Of course the GOP wanted Obama to focus on jobs! That's why they blocked Obama's job bills, small business bills, and wanted more stimulus money. Duh.

November 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  21. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Nina, it has also taken 30+ years of different congressional policies that has gotten the country here in 2010 with a deep recession. I wonder if I'll see any changes in my lifetime?

Nancy in Oregon, agree with you that it seems all politicians focus on is going from election to election. Can we really expect anything in the next two years? I sure hope they can discuss at least one thing and work towards a solution.

November 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  22. Nancy in Oregon

I'm afraid so, Starr. The focus is not on helping the country. The focus is on eliminating the President. Paltry behavior, in my view.

November 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  23. Breniel

People shouldn't be focusing on Obamacare or private/public healthcare. We should be focusing on a way for Americans to have access to health care so doctors can really do their jobs without having to go through the insurance companies.

November 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  24. Katinainct

I just want the people I pay (with taxes) to do what's best for US not them – Protect us from greedy corporations, protect our rights to affordable healthcare. Why can't they stop playing like rival football teams and sit down and figure out this mess?

November 5, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Sharon Hastings

You know what is so unreal? We haven't even hardly begun to reap the benefits of the new health care changes being implemented soon. Some started right away but most won't start until another month of so. Everyone complaining about how awful it is hasn't even had a chance to see how it's working yet.

November 5, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  26. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The CBO has already backed off the position that the health care bill will reduce the deficit. I know that claim was bogus as soon as I heard it.

November 5, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  27. Michael Del Camp

I was very disappointed by the strategic electoral success of those who vilified the Democratic Party stalwarts such as House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and our President Barack Obama, for championing historic healthcare reform. The pure political cynicism, opportunistic crockodile faux tears they shed merely to make a false impression on the American electorate, the money spent on negative advertising, and their "turn on a dime" immediately after the election, tells us Voters we have been hoodwinked, bamboozled, fooled and left bereft of honest leadership yet again.

November 5, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Nancy in Oregon

McConnell isn't someone I honestly paid much attention to before, Jay, but now his animus really stuns me. Was he always this ugly? I guess I missed it.

November 5, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  29. Emily

Good evening Randi, 360°Team, Jo Ann, David, Megan, Nicole, Nancy, Gloria, Libby, Starr, & Bloggers!

November 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Jay

And if these crazy Republicans want to impeach and do nothing but issue supoenae, then we will see what happens. PRESIDENT OBAMA 2012!!!

November 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  31. Kaytee

The point should be why is the number one thing now healthcare with the republicans when they WERE saying jobs are number one. They lie, plain and simple.

November 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  32. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nancy

I agree with you. To turn the vast and deep recession around, time is a huge issue.

Clearly the Republicans are hell bent on fighting the President and Dem's all the way, instead of working together to help this country get back on its feet, (which is what i think the American people were hoping for).

November 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  33. Jay

I think the Republicans are acting like idiots. I am disgusted with all politicians! However, I stand with my President Obama. I am sickened that Republicans are against the President. Shame on Mitch McConnell! I will always stand with Obama and I will not be fooled by those crazy Republican liars!

November 5, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  34. Nancy in Oregon

Sharon Hastings, I think for politicians now it's one endless election campaign. Never any real work-time between....just trying to set into motion the next election. They've become Professional Election Mongers, much more than people who can focus their energy, even for one year, on the work at hand. These people are setting up for 2012, almost the day after this election is done. And after that one, the next group will work on the following election. Does anyone ever really do the work?!

November 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  35. Nina

Its much easier to be on the opposition side throwing out criticism towards Pres. Obama then defending your positions and administration. Historically it has taken the US 30+ years to recover from a deep recession. How can one expect it in 2 years? Outrageous!

November 5, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  36. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Actually there may very well be 4 Democratic votes in the Senate to join the 47 Republicans to repeal health care.

November 5, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Sharon,
    I have heard that MSNBC already supension Keith Obermann was donating 3 democrats without pay.

November 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Jan

Quality healthcare is what is needed to help society. Stop making promises u can't keep and don't say it is just politics. Not buying it, can't afford it.

November 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  39. Nancy in Oregon

Whoa, does anyone really believe that such dire circumstances could possibly have been screeched to a halt, then turned around and fixed in 2 years' times? I'm glad I don't live closely with someone like that.

November 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Randi-Kay & Team 360. TGIF

Hello, David, Isabel, Nichole, Nancy. Megan Emily, JoAnn, Mike, Casey. everyone.....TGIF

November 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Yeah, I disagree with all republicans said!

November 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  42. Lori

Hello Everyone! Happy Friday.

November 5, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone and TGIF. I didn't know that about Keith Obermann. Yikes, what next? Of course the Republicans are going to hit the President with everything they have. Let's hear their wonderful plans instead of complaints.

November 5, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  44. Katinainct

My health insurance and employer are raising rates NOW and dropping people before the plans renew and are forced to change with new laws. Trend across ins. companies / nation?

This is also fueling myths – many believe the higher rates now are because of "Obamacare" when in fact it's the insurance companies pre-emptive move, trying to milk people before the laws go into effect.

November 5, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Nice see Randi to be here tonight.

November 5, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, everyone....Friday, phew! What a week.

November 5, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Randi Megan, Isha, David G, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie,) Lori, (Adelaide,) BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Thank God It's Friday Night!!!!
    Couldn't wait forward this weekend!

November 5, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Nina

Good Evening Anderson Cooper, Team 360 and bloggers (TGIF)

November 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Good evening Randi and fellow bloggers. Happy Friday night!

November 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everying! Greetings!

November 5, 2010 at 10:00 pm |