November 4th, 2010

The $200 Million Myth: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, the 200-million dollar myth. The made-up claims that President Obama's trip to Asia is costing taxpayers 200-million dollars a day. More than the daily cost of the war in Afghanistan. Who's spreading such a false story? We're keeping them honest. Plus, Sarah Palin's latest twitter controversy.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nina

Good Night Anderson Cooper and Bloggers... Have a wonderful evening

excellent program tonight

November 4, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha,others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    Day of the shot Edison Pena want to be maraton in NYC!!!! Awwww! Cool shot, LOL So funny Anderson, Thanks Anderson!!!!!!! HUGS!
    Congrats on beat 360!!!!!!! Nice job guys!!! 🙂
    Anderson,
    see you tomorrow!

November 4, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Very good show. Keep after them Anderson, keep them honest!!

November 4, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! "I am sure it sound must better underground!"

November 4, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Karen, MN

I would never want to run a marathon. It doesn't seem like it would even be fun:) I'm with you Anderson. 3 miles is about my max. Good night and sleep tight.

November 4, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  6. Sherryl Coker

I could not believe it when I heard it.....and now I'm sold, idiots will say anything to discredit our President, regardless if they end up looking/sounding like fools or not. Thanks Anderson, you rock!

November 4, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Sue R. Canton MI.

Goodnight AC360Team and fellow bloggers.
    Great show tonight Anderson.

November 4, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Lori

Good night Anderson and Everyone! Sweet dreams.

November 4, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  9. lisal -canada

wasn't he #17 in the rescue? perhaps he'll come in somthing-17th ...

November 4, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  10. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

OMG! I love the Elvis Miner! He gets to go to Graceland!! 🙂

November 4, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Lori

I like his singing!

November 4, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  12. Karoline, Los Angeles

He's good. How cute!

November 4, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  13. Sue R. Canton MI.

I hope the people in the tent cities in Haiti take heed to the red alert warnings to find safe shelter. I read today that many fear leaving their tents because they don't want to lose what little possesions that they have. It's sad. Hope they get to a safe place. So sad what they are going through.

November 4, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  14. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Praying for Haiti as Tropical Storm Tomas heads their way. I hope the winds lessen or the storm turns direction. Hope everyone has a wonderful evening!

November 4, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  15. Janis

Goodnight, everyone. Good blog. AC360 is a great forum. I go back and read the blog and there are so many smart up to date people contributing to it. Best blog on the web. Keep up the good work AC and producers. We all love it.

November 4, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  16. melissa collins

Paycuts for political officials is a great start!

November 4, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  17. lisal -canada

OK there are some nights when time goes by WAY to fast ... tonight is one of those nights...

keeping haiti in my thoughts – saw a clip of some pediatric nurses who just got back – one girl said since she has been back, whenever she catches herself complaining about something, she immediately stops herself and thinks "my life is pretty darned good" – very thoughtful

gnite all and happy thoughts

November 4, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  18. Nicole The Netherlands

Hi Everyone !
    Again the computer..Joined in at the Sarah Palin tweet. Heard a strange voice suddenly singing "The torture never stops".
    Love to see James Carville on (he will know the singer of that line)
    I do not know how Sarah Palin would be received on the international scene of worldpolitics..

November 4, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  19. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Anderson Cooper is the most wonderful anchor in the world!!!
    Have a great evening everyone.

November 4, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  20. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Anderson, you are doing a good job. keep running with it. Don't let nothing get by AC360. We all want to know the facts!

November 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  21. Joseph

If Reagan rose the national debt by 1.8 trillion, Bush1 another 3.4, Bush2 3.8 why would we believe the Republicans would do any different now. As far as tax cuts to stimulate job growth the unemployment rate rose from 3.7 in December 2000 to 7.1 in December 2008 Trickle Down Economic DOES NOT WORK !!!

November 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  22. Bruce Hoff

I think they will need a double sided ballot to handle all the Republican Primary candidates. But, will there be any good candidates?

November 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  23. Carlos (Miami-FL)

I come home tired from work, turn on the tv, look for AC360 and I
    what do I see?.. all these people talk about these $200 million dollar trip expense fallacies.
    Makes me think that professional athletes are being underpaid because when it comes to non-sense, we at least get to see someone sweat for their money. Come on people earn your money and we will get the economy back on track.

November 4, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  24. Nancy in Oregon

I'm not establishment, Paolo, and I fear her...and her whole mileu. They could sink the world into true oblivion.

November 4, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  25. Mary

I think Sarah Palin wants to keep the country talking about her with that ad. I agree is a great ad, it will definitely catch attention but she's hyping us up to think that she's running, But is she really running? Or does she just like the attention? Anderson I certainly hope she does run, President Obama will have 2012 elections locked.

November 4, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  26. Nancy in Oregon

Sharon Hastings, the world would be in real trouble then. Dare I say, doomed? A button-pusher for sure, and would feel righteous doing it.

November 4, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  27. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Aha! Very good point about who's scheduling trips to Iowa and New Hampshire. That certainly gives more credence to who might consider running for President. Hmmm...

November 4, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  28. Linda in New York

Jim wrote: I've been waiting – for what, 10 years now? – to hear how the Republicans are going to pay for their tax cuts.

Jim, they won't pay for their tax cuts. Instead, we have a massive deficit, and Republicans whining that the government spends too much money.

Republicans are truly the spoiled brats of American politics.

November 4, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  29. Stephanie

Another aspect of the Bachman interview that struck me as strange is when she answered Amderson's question about jobs. Her answer was to send back the illegal immigrants so Americans can have their jobs. Is this what they have planned for my children who are in university?

No wonder so many candidates were avoiding the press throughout the campaign!!

November 4, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  30. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Sarah Palin won't be the Republican nominee in 2012. It just makes good copy to keep her in the spotlight. I'd like to see Scott Brown, but he'd only have 2 years in the Senate. Then again, that didn't stop Obama.

November 4, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  31. Karoline, Los Angeles

Can we take an 18 month break from talking about who's going to be the Republican nominee? Just a thought.

November 4, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  32. JC-Los Angeles

Andrew Card most certainly isn't one.

November 4, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  33. Nancy in Oregon

Oh yes, Sue from Syracuse, she's truly a bully and very derogatory....she loves fanning the flames of derision. Full of herself too, so much so. She loves wearing boots, being photographed in a Nancy Sinatra way.

November 4, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  34. Paolo

Let's be fair to the polls John King presented, Sarah Palin has done quite well against the president in traditional democratic strongholds like the northeast with her polling over 40%. Moreso at the midwest where it is much closer. And this is someone who is feared by the establishment.

November 4, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  35. Janis

I don't know if you can compare Palin and Reagan. He was president of a very powerful labor union in California and had some real diplomatic skills under his belt before entering politics. She still bailed on Alaska.

November 4, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  36. Sue from Syracuse

I agree R. Campbell.

R. Campbell November 4th, 2010 10:47 pm ET

The thought that anyone takes Sarah Palin seriously as a candidate is a very scary one.

November 4, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  37. Karoline, Los Angeles

Hello Anderson, Jack and everyone,

It's only two days after the election and I'm already tired of hearing politicians talk about what they're going to do. Less talk, more doing. And obstructing is not doing.

November 4, 2010 at 10:48 pm |