November 3rd, 2010

Who Voted & Why: Join the Live Chat

Tonight we're getting a much better picture of how the votes broke down for each party in the midterm elections. John King will show us who voted for whom and why. Plus, Congresswoman Michele Bachmann. Keeping her honest, see how Anderson tried get her to be specific about how she'd cut the deficit.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Lori, "Do you think Nancy Pelosi will stay?"

I certainly hope not! She is a perfect example of what is wrong with the democratic party.

November 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  2. Lisa

AC,

Interesting discussion with panel. For me the election was less about Dem vs Rep platforms and more about voting out incumbents. The "us vs them" has to stop.

November 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  3. John Rehnberg

Someone once said, "Its the economy stupid" Gee I wonder who that was?

I hope and pray that a mind set developes in congress that'll benefit the majority of americans. That is a basic attitude of, "reaching a happy medium" wherever humanly possible.

Naturally I won't hold my breath on this point.

November 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  4. Chris

Really the president doesn't seen that his done much of what he wants to do just what other people tell him too.

November 3, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  5. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Karen. People nowadays are hugely impatient...they want story lines completed in 24 minutes (with commercials) and can't sit through two movies anymore. Two years in their minds is enough time to change the world and then move on to the next story. I do kinda worry about that mindset and that twitchiness that has developed, not only in kids but in the adults today for sure. I wonder if that will change or get worse? It's like the culture has Attention Deficit problems.

November 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  6. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

@Lori,

Nancy Pelosi can only stay until Jan-2011. Once your term of being a speaker is done, you have to leave the house. Then, down the lane, if you are lucky enough you could come back in other roles to washington.

But for Pelosi, its mostly done as I understand.

November 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  7. corinne

here is a big issue in florida ... people are begging for modifications to help with payments and the banks continue their scam of asking for the same paperwork over and over ... why can't pres obama or someone in authority enact legislation to speed things along ... like fines to banks when they take months and months to modify ... someone please help us in florida ... we are hurting with high unemployment and a crashed housing market ........

November 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  8. Christine Flaherty

I have never voted in a primary election and I am almost 40..I did this time against Democrats down the line because of the passing of the healthcare bill...thats the only reason...I saw a man on your show saying thats not what people were voting on, but for me it was. Obama is doing a very bad job..especially owning up to it....
    Thanks, Christine Flaherty

November 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  9. Brian in Alpharetta, GA

Good evening everyone.
    @Kevin- After watching the opening debate on AC360 tonight, I logged on to say just what you did. Thank you.

November 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  10. Tina, NY

Now that the election is over I am hoping all of the elected officials will get down to doing the job we elected them to do. The Tea Party will now have to perform what they have been talking about. Let's see.

November 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  11. Jay

To me, the Democrats pushed through health care in the same way that the Republicans pushed through the Iraq war. Both sides held their majorities together, silenced all dissent, and rushed across the legislative finish line.

November 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  12. Charles

I think Obama was elected to make changes. However, his changes were not what the people were looking for. And the Democrats decided by themselves what was best for us.

And as for the Republicans being the party of "no" the Democrats were the party of "take it or leave it".

What we need is compromise from both parties.

November 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  13. Stuart in NC

This was not a mandate. This was decided by Independents who did not see change fast enough. It is the impatience of voters and frustrated citizens.

November 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  14. vic , nashville tn

Michele Bachmann saying Indian trip is waste of money ? I respect this blog so no comments

November 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  15. Denise

Of course this was a mandate...loud and clear. I voted yesterday to get ObamaCare repealed. I'm a nurse...35 yrs. The bill is a disaster and cap/trade, stimulus...all of it. Get them out!!

November 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  16. Diana Spatz

Hi all. I'm bothered by all the Republican preening over the election results. How many Republicans lost elections to Tea Party candidates? Perhaps this election was a repudiation of politics as usual in Washington, D.C. – which both parties are guilty of.

17. James

Just because the democrats didnt get it right doesnt mean the Republicans will. The best thing this country needs to do is to have both parites actually work together instead of againt each other. Like Abraham L said " A house divided against itself cannot stand".

18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Republicans are going to make a mess out of everything!

19. Nina

@Tracy
    It will take many years to regain our composure due to the previous administration. The expectations that we will recover in 2, 4, 6 or more years is unrealistic as long as we continue to outsource our jobs

20. Stefanie

We don't need a president who acts like a celebrity going on every late night talk show, or whatever; we need a leader who is in office to solve problems; forget the talk shows and start working!

21. Name*Rebecca Hope

I voted for Obama was disgusted with the attention put on Obamacare. I feel all attention should be on the deficit and the economy at this time. If there are no jobs how can we afford anything, much less healthcare?

22. Tom Lundy

It's not about tactics.
    It's not about communications.
    It's about policy.

23. Janis

I see stimulas money being spent in my city. Lots of infrastructure upgrading going on. Sewer and water lines being replaced in the historical residential areas. Sidewalks being put in around old schools. There is a construction zone every 5 or 6 blocks. It wouldn't be happening without Obamas stimulas. It's a good thing. But, it's not saving people from leaving their homes because of forclosure or small business owners losing their businesses. That's why people are mad here. He doesn't see where they are bleeding the most because of his idealism and pre-crisis agenda. Nobody expected this crisis. We were all hoping for change, but the economic crisis has caused another need more dire than what he has on his agenda now.

24. Bashan

It seems your analysts have been swayed by the Republicans talk of healthcare as well. The most important number of the election was the lack of youth vote (18-30)

25. Cathleen

I agree with the majority of the panel tonight. Voters voted against the current seat holders because they are not seeing change same as in 2008 they voted not so much for the person but for a change. Its like a tennis match. Until both parties change and work together the back and forth will continue and there will be no change.

26. Derek

I am a 55 year old from Michigan. I will bet everything i own plus my all the money I have in my retirement account, that Pres. Obama and the Democrats would not have seen such a backlash against them as they seen yesterday if they would have actually read the health care bill before voting on it. These people are in a position of power and to pass a bill of this magnitude (or any others) with out reading it first is inexcusable

27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Emily, "President Obama looked really defeated in that press conference. His tone was very somber".

Obama was defeated yesterday. Make no mistake about it, last night's election was a reaction against his policies.

28. Juan Salinas

the American people are so stupid!!!! To think the people that got us into this mess can fix it is just ridiculous!!!! Be careful what u wish for cause when those republicans start trying to repeal the civil rights bill and so on u will be sorry. Stupid people, Just so stupid

29. Brian (Philly)

It is all about messaging. Dems don't have it. Repubs keep talking about the spending, but the big spending started on Bush's watch. War, 1st stimulus, and bail outs.

30. Josh

This election was not in favor of Republican's. This election was against Democrats and their excessive spending. As a Republican, if they do not control spending and reduce government I will leave the party. To put it simply, America should put them on Probation.

31. John Maines

The President should hire David Gergen. He gets it, every time.

32. Nicole The Netherlands

Do think that what James Carville said is true. It were the unregulated and greedy bankers who where the origin of this crisis who flowed from the U.S. to Europe and the rest of the world.
    If president Obama dit not save the banks, where would today look like?
    To big to fail, remember?

There was no choice

33. Karen in British Columbia, Canada

I am astounded by yesterdays vote. Have Americans forgotten how they got into this financial mess? Which party got them there? It will take years to get back on your feet and President Obama and his team is working tirelessly to get you folks there. Show some support and be reasonable!

34. Diane Wright

I voted Straight Democrat because:

I am an individual that sees health care as fiscally responsible and how it is tied to our Economy.

Unfortunately we are a country that is now under Citizens United and money coming from places beyond our reach. That is going to destroy what little actually democracy we have left.

Thank you!

35. niwat kurusattra, chicago

I think the American People are slightly disappointed that President Obama's government-ship comes in such a hefty price tag, yet doesn't seem to endorse any measurable results, look at the employment rate, look at the stock market.

36. Sue R. Canton MI.

Too many people are so discouraged and disappointed with the way that things are going in Washington that they just didn't vote.It's to bad because if they would have voted maybe it might have changed the outcome.

November 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Robert

This election wasn't about democrats' inability to get the message out, nor that the republicans have the answer. It was a repudiation of the direction of our government, pure and simple This election was all about "throwing the bums out" as my father likes to say. It's a problem of having only 2 parties; if there were a third, we would be discussing how great that third party did and how they won.

November 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  38. Lori

Do you think Nancy Pelosi will stay?

November 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Sharon Hastings

It's not that reforming our health care system was a bad idea. It just wasn't the right time. Who knows why that was chosen first to work on?? But it did demonstrate the complete inability of the 2 parties to be able to work together. This is so important. The American people are SICK to death of our politicians in Washington not working on our behalf.

November 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  40. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening people....a little late and down with a cold, but nevertheless, personally I am not terribly bothered by a little more 'balance of power'. Sometimes those with little power do more to block progress than those who feel they have some oomph. I'm hoping for some 'working together' for awhile (though I know I'm talking about politicians here!)

November 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Also, I really did not appreciate the presidents tone today during his conference. He acted as if, it was never meant for the common folks to understand how fast he was moving and he would have to slow down to explain everything!

Why were other WH members not involved in mass communications?

That could have been delegated. I was deeply hurt at the notion that somehow we common folks dont get it!

November 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  42. Emily

I think that the vast majority of people are very upset with politicians in both parties!

November 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  43. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

@Lori, good observation. If Obama's policies had worked, they wouldn't need to be explained.

November 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  44. Amy

What about the fact that, according to reports, only one third of registered voters voted???

November 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Nina,
    See? he took his responsibility what he have to do take care our jobs, health care, educations and war.

November 3, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I don't think that the President missed the boat on anything. I think the ones who said that President missed the boat are the ones who really missed the boat on all the issues.

November 3, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Emily

Lori,
    I have to wonder if Meg Whitman would have been better off running her own campaign rather than relying on so many consultants!

November 3, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  48. vic , nashville tn

Let see what will happen in the house next 2 years

November 3, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Obama's arrogance and refusal to admit his mistakes doesn't help him or the democrats.

November 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Jeff Jarett

I think President Obama needs to hire Carville & Begala to help him with his message and his direction. Mr. Carville laid out the strategy in 2008 after President Obama won how the Dems could keep control for 40 years. They just didn't listen to him.

November 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm |