November 3rd, 2010

Who Voted & Why: Join the Live Chat

Tonight we're getting a much better picture of how the votes broke down for each party in the midterm elections. John King will show us who voted for whom and why. Plus, Congresswoman Michele Bachmann. Keeping her honest, see how Anderson tried get her to be specific about how she'd cut the deficit.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I think it's great so many Democrats are in denial. Keep it up for 2 more years.

November 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  2. Dayne

Politics, as with all aspects of life, is about taking advantage of opportunities. Obama had a chance to acknowledge the American people didn't like having policies forced upon them. I saw four clips on your show indicating he was asked pointed questions about this and he declined to answer them directly. Without acknowledging the American people, how can he be truly in touch with the people he represents?

November 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  3. Tracy

Democrats continue to clean up the mess Bush left behind.....

November 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  4. Nina

Emily November 3rd, 2010 10:06 pm ET
    Nina,I think that Meg Whitman's loss shows that Money can't buy everything!

California has always been a strong blue state and the elections were very close. However, across the US, many blue states became red due the amounts of money flooding the campaigns.

November 3, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  5. Emily

That was approx. a 70 year old record that the GOP broke last night, was it not?

November 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  6. CindyM

I agree with David Gergen. The healthcare bill was forced on us and this hurt the President. I think this is particularly true since only about 1/3 of the people understand much of it and little goes into effect until 2014.

November 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  7. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Sharon, what a great comment, felt so hopeful for the U.S and the -world- when Pres Obama was elected..

@James I sure hope he does, and can..

November 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  8. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

I am assuming that few months down the lane due to serious gridlock and the iron triangle of democractic president, democratic senate and republican house – most of what republicans want will be delayed. Then the tea party folks will have to bring pressure.

That should be an interesting phase for republicans and we will have to see how they will navigate!

November 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  9. Ken

Great election, huh? Only wished the GOP had taken the senate as well. The message was sent but Obama still isn't getting it. People are mad at having his agenda forced on the American people. Can you hear me now?

November 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  10. Lori

Emily, I agree with you regarding Meg Whitman. She pushed hard for office. That was an expensive effort.

November 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I DO believe there is a communication problem with the White House and the people.

I also believe that the President was "insulated" from just how bad it is out here from unemployment to the failure of the mortgage rescue programs.

I sincerely hope that Both Parties got the message from the voters....Work Together for US! No more gridlock!

November 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  12. Kevin, Las Vegas

I don't think that Obama (or anyone) is saying that the problem was that the Dems didn't advertise / tout. I think what they are saying, and I agree, is that they did a lousy job of advertising / touting. The GOP, for years now, has been much better at marketing ("fear", "terrorism", "socialism") than the Dems. If the Dems learn to sell themselves better, they'll win for decades.

November 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  13. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

He didn't get the message. The message is we don't like his policies.

November 3, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Karen

He is not sitting on a magic wand that would create jobs. People are WAY too impatient. And it is BUNK that The American People™ don't like the healthcare bill. Polls prove that when you tell them the parts of it, the same people who say "repeal it" say, "oh, but I LIKE that". The public is just plain dumb and impatient. I'm GLAD the president stood his ground and said we don't want to spend two years re-litigating the first two years. I'm pretty tired of ALL politicians saying The American People this and the American People that because they do NOT speak for me.

November 3, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  15. vic , nashville tn

Communication problem republican started debit but they blame the democrats

November 3, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Jeannie

Obama and Reid just don't get it. McConnell hit the nail on the head today at the press conference when he said Republicans were voted in because they said "no" to Obama's policies and they opposed the overspending. That is what the American people believe in and wanted. Reid said today in his reply that Republicans need to stop saying "no". Again we are so glad they said no. We applaud the Republicans and don't want things shoved down our throats like the healthcare. Can you please convince President Obama the real reason is the above.

November 3, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Emily

Sharon Hastings,
    "The problem is that I do not have any faith in the Republicans fixing things either."
    I think that MANY people feel the same way that you do!

November 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  18. Jeff

Anderson, here's what I don't get, Bush gets into office and spends the first year of his Presidency playing golf... Obama walks in, spends the first 18 months tackling the biggest issues our country has faced in the last 60 years and now everyone turns against him because those issues don't turn around overnight. The American people are sending us to the exact fate of Rome... a shame history doesn't teach us...

November 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  19. James

I don't think corporations are responsible for the outcome of the election. And really, President Obama has seemed much more an enemy to corporations than they to him. The perception of his not supporting business has hurt him.

November 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Sree Nanduru, Richmond, VA

Hello everyone – been busy a lot these days and hence have not participated in the blog!

What an election night?

Most of the news today said its a tide against democrats but looks like its only CNN that keeps saying that the republicans arent favorites either.

The vote was against president obama but was not in favor of republicans

November 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  21. Michael (NJ)

I think he got the message, he's decided to play the game more aggressively by not apologizing.

November 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Janis

@Sharon. I don't have much faith in either party at this point in time. I just don't feel the trust in our politicians anymore. I agree with you on both sides.

November 3, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  23. James

I think President Obama can pull off a Reagan or Clinton if he focuses on the issues important to the people, which is as Sharon says, food, clothing, and shelter.

I think he got the message; he just has trouble admitting it and is somewhat in denial perhaps.

November 3, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  24. Sue R. Canton MI.

I wasn't really suprised at the election outcome. I'm still glad that I got out to vote. It at least gives me my rights to complain.

November 3, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  25. Carolyn

I listen to President Obama this afternoon as I have listen to him for the past two years and I agree with his policies and I thank him for his hard work for me as a Middle Class American. If more democratic canidates had not run away from him they may have won.

November 3, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  26. Kelly, PA

I will say, though, that some stimulus money seemed to go out the door so quickly and maybe weren't spend most effectively

November 3, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
  27. Nina

President Obama's opponent is the very wealth corporations flooding astronomic amounts of money in rhetoric and propaganda

November 3, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  28. Emily

Nina,
    I think that Meg Whitman's loss shows that Money can't buy everything!

November 3, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  29. Nicole The Netherlands

Good Evening Anderson, AC360 team, Emily, Jo Ann, Starr, Megan, David, Nancy, Gloria, Sharon, Heather, Mike everyone!

That was some night yesterday, was this a Tsunami or an Earthquake?!

November 3, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  30. Janis

I listened to both the new majority leader and the President and it doesn't sound good right now. Time will tell. I think the President's election agenda is not going to be met well by the House. He has to see how bad the economy is for the middle class. It's not getting any better for anyone that I know. In fact it's worse, little by little.

November 3, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  31. Kelly, PA

I agree that the pres does need to do a better job communicating. We will never know how bad things would have been without his actions.

November 3, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  32. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

This is a great day. NH has gone fro 2 blue reps to two red ones, and kept a senate seat red.

November 3, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  33. Lori

I voted.

November 3, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  34. Emily

President Obama looked really defeated in that press conference. His tone was very somber.

November 3, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  35. Lori

Why do the accomplishments need to be explained? I think we should see them with our own eyes.

November 3, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  36. Nina

@ Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA
    It seems Money really has power in this country

November 3, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
  37. Lori

President Obama looks a little disturbed.

November 3, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  38. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. Ouch! That was painful. It felt like someone pulling off a large bandaid very slowly over hours and in the process it took off the top layer of your skin.

I do get it and I'm sure the President does. He's not stupid. The economy is IT. Food, clothing, and shelter come before EVERYTHING else.

November 3, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  39. Nina

President Obama made excellent statements. He is listening to the American people

November 3, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  40. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360. Looking forward to your analysis of yesterday's elections.

Hello, David, Isable, Nichole, NaNCY, Megan, Emily, JoAnn, Mike, Casey....everyone.

November 3, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

I am little disappointed the result last night..... I am not sure I don't get it why Republicans defeat my Democrats as well.

November 3, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  42. Emily

Good evening Anderson, 360°Team, Jo Ann, David, Megan, Nicole, Nancy, Gloria, Libby, Starr, & Bloggers!

November 3, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  43. Lori

Hi Anderson. Hi Everyone.

November 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  44. Janis

Hello, everyone. Glad all the robocalls have stopped?

November 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  45. vic , nashville tn

Good evening every one

November 3, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar- Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, others and my friend Facebook Bloggers!!!!

November 3, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on. I hope you are well rested after the long election night. Your coverage has been excellent.

November 3, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  48. Sue R. Canton MI.

Good evening everyone.
    Looking forward to the show tonight.

November 3, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Good evening Anderson and fellow bloggers. Back from vacation and pleased with the election results...esp. with the change in the Speaker of the House. A very interesting election night indeed. I hope these changes work for the good of the nation.

November 3, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

November 3, 2010 at 10:00 pm |