October 28th, 2010

Anti-Gay Facebook Rant Fallout: Join the Live Chat

What he did shocked the nation. What Clint McCance will do tonight, which so many others don't in a situation like this, won't be easy. McCance, a school district vice-president, who posted very harsh words online about gay victims of bullying who take their own lives, talks only to 360°. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mary Lewis

It is so up to us now, the parents of the children growing uptoday. We have to teach them that we all are different in so many ways. Our difference's give us our own unique identity which guides us through our lives to become productive and caring individuals. We the adults need to grow up and realize what we were once taught is not who we are today. Freedom is a right we have all earned and deserve, we all deserve to be loved and respected for just being ourselves.

October 28, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  2. Judi

This guy should be fired immediately. I don't care if he was elected by the people or the Pope! He says he's sorry for using the wrong words–Can anyone tell me what the right words would be? He's only sorry he was caught. I'd be terrified to find out what else he opposes and what he would do about that !

October 28, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  3. David, Indiana

To me that was a true apology, I think Steven Blackwood connected with him.

I think once you realize how hurtful something you've said can be to someone you almost immediately regret it even things said in the heat of an argument. I've hurt someone's feelings before and felt bad about it immediately.

October 28, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  4. Jeff

This topic is so important and personal for me. Thank you AC for bringing dialogue to this issue. Communication with all sides allows for the possibility of educating a larger audience who may not otherwise realize how powerful and impactful thier words are.

October 28, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  5. Helen

I Am sorry Meek is 15% in the las poll. At what point do you bow out of a race in dignity.

October 28, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Sara Darling

I don't buy that apology at all. He kept fidgeting and looking away from the camera. He couldn't apologize directly to the families of gay youth who've committed suicide. Instead, he had to add in the families of everyone who's committed suicide!

It seemed to me that he refused to acknowledge what I see as the root problem-homophobia. He acknowledged suicide as a problem for sure, and expressed sympathy to families of suicide victims, but not victims of homophobia.

Wasn't that what his comments, at their core, were? Homophobia? Why wouldn't he acknowledge or apologize for being a homophobic bigot as well as insulting the memories of suicide victims?

October 28, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  7. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@Kurt, I think that's a pretty common feeling among young GLBT people.

October 28, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  8. Michael - Huntington Beach, CA.

OMG that school district vice-president Clint McCance is really a bad role-model and full of HATE! Thank you Anderson Cooper and AC360 for your outstanding anti-bullying reporting!!

October 28, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  9. Jan

This man's words should open the eyes of the people and community around him as to what type of person he really is....I wouldn't want him around my family. The only right thing he did was resign.

October 28, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Casey Jones CA
    Your posts RE: Clint are truly admirable.

Forgiveness and the willingness to educate this man, or anyone else, is truly the true teachings of Christianity (& many other faiths).
    Thank you for being you.

October 28, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  11. Antonia

For him to say "well, this is hard on my family,too" is disgusting. Nobody should be threatening his family, but it is all of his hate-filled speech...as a V.P. on a school board? I'm glad he is resigning, at least the world knows who he REALLY is. I don't know Anderson kept his cool...he is truly professional.

October 28, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  12. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The Democrats are letting Bill Clinton do their dirty work.

October 28, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Lori

I did not realize thaty they caught the ninjas

October 28, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Karin

Good Night everyone.

October 28, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  15. Trebor Reinhardt

this mans family said nothing there is no reason to attack them they did nothing wrong

October 28, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't believe Obama didn't know about this. In fact, I would not be surprised if this came straight from the WH.

October 28, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Renee

Clinton was in Florida speaking at a 1/2 empty school for Meeks.

October 28, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  18. Stan Lepard

I'm shocked and appauled by the comments by the bigoted school board member. Its obvious that he still has hatred in his heart. Why is this not considered criminal behavior?! A school board member publicly advocating that troubled kids committ suicide?!! This is outrageous! I think he deserves a prison sentence!

October 28, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  19. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    I'm surprised that Clinton would try and get Meek out of the race. Now that it's public, I don't think that it's going to help. (Someone must have thought about that.)

October 28, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Libby

Kendrick Meek is at a distant 15% and Charlie Crist is very moderate. It would make sense to team up. Michael Steele is too much!

October 28, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Janis

I think they're afraid that the vote will be split and the Republicans win. Clinton brokering a deal with him. Clinton is a diplomat. I believe Meeks should do what he believes is right. He probably has dreams to accomplish and 'taking a bullet' for the dems doesn't sit well with him. No race, no White House shenanigans, just discussion.

October 28, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I hope that in the future senator Meek keep going whole race until Nov 2!

October 28, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  23. Heather - Spokane, WA

I am just the old fashioned Christian, I accept everyone

October 28, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  24. Craig

McCance apologized for his language and choice of words, but not for his sentiment. It's unfortunate that he didn't acknowledge that it's the proliferation of his type of sentiment that is the real problem in our society, not the proliferation of homosexuality.

October 28, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  25. Sharon Hastings

Meek has denied it and is not dropping out but I think the story is probably true. I posed the question earlier though–what if he had dropped out, what happens to the votes he has already received from early voting? Voting early is big down here.

October 28, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  26. veronica

I want America to know that all public schools are not alike. Most public schools teach the right thing to children and teachers work their hands off trying to bring an excellent education for children. Tolerance is taught in the public schools and many, many public schools have "anti-bully" programs happening.

October 28, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  27. eduardo

@Janis@B ill Then why did he not say he was sorry about the content of his comments. He only said he was sorry about his choice of words but he doesn't regret his views on homosexuality. He couldn't even give an answer to disowning and kicking out his kids.

October 28, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  28. Pat

As the mother of a man that also happens to be gay let me also say thank you Anderson for your show tonight. IMO Clint McCance isn't sorry at all for his words only sorry he got caught. If he felt what he wrote on FB was wrong he could have deleted it right away. Does Mr McCance teach his children to discriminate against others in the same way he discriminates against people that live their personal lives differently than he does ? Children learn from their parents & this wasn't a good lesson plan IMO. Mr McCance only apologized for hurting the parents of children that committed suicide 'he never' apologized for his words against GLT individuals or how he feels about their lifestyle.

October 28, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  29. Sue

My boys are frustrated that it took the death of gay children to focus any real attention on a problem that has been killing kids for years.Let's be honest though,these bullies are just following their role models. That's not just their parents. Watch the election. The meanest bully will get the most votes.

October 28, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Karen, MN

I can’t wait until wait until the election is over. I’m sorry tired of all the negative talk. Let’s just do what is right for the country.

October 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  31. Renee

Florida Voter Here: It is not good for Meeks - Dem. in any of the polls. Crist moved to an Independent and Rubio is Republican. The race is too split. Also Meeks supposedly is running out of funds.

October 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  32. Mary Beth

Clint McCance is only sorry because he is now feeling the results of his words. You can't put such vile rantings in words, post it on fb and then say you are sorry. It is exactly the way he feels about the LGBT community. I feel sorry if his children are not exactly who he wants them to be.

October 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  33. Cheryl

As the Mother of a gay son, thank you to everyone who stands up and says No to this hateful behavior. Ellen is right, the straight community needs to start making their voices heard in support. Not only are you making the world a better place for my son, but your making the world a better place for his brothers and sisters as well.

October 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  34. Bennie

I'm still a little perplexed. McCance keeps saying he went to far, was over the top. What was his reason for saying those things in the first place? He sounded like someone in a rage. He should be ashamed. A person's sexual preference is only a small part of who they are and should not matter. I am not gay but McCance comments sicken me!

October 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  35. kurt dearie

As a teacher adviser to a gay straight alliance club I see first hand the damage done by words. Words kill. As a 14 year old student told me, "why should I keep living if I am going to be hated every day of my life". As individuals and as a nation we must be better than this.

October 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  36. Steven

Anderson,

People naming out Religion is a huge problem. Only now that Clint and his family are getting a taste of what he dished out is he sorry. Clint, believes what he said and I really fill sorry for his family. I think God will forgive him but, that doesn't automicatlly get you into heaven, especially if he claims to be a christian.

October 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  37. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I love Bill Clinton. Period. He is a human. A great one!

October 28, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  38. MaryJ, Connecticut

I CANNOT believe what I'm hearing! This man is visibly shaken but not for the right reasons. It's only because HIS family is now on the receiving end of hatred and death threats. I think it has shaken him to the core. I am so disgusted by this man. How dare he refer to reading the Bible but spewing such evil! This is just NOT acceptable and even more appalling that this man is a school official! I cannot remember ever being as irate as I am right now.

October 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  39. jake

Your comment is going to haunt these victims for the rest of their life!

October 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  40. Phyllis

I have been watching and I do not believe this gentleman's apology. I think he is sorry that he got caught. That said, no one should threaten him or his family with violence. Violence is not the answer to anything. I am glad to hear that he is resigning from the school board. He has no place in the education of our children.

October 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  41. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

I know there's a lot of an anger aimed at "Clint," but what he really needs is someone to listen to him and give him a little guidance. I look at "Clint" as an opportunity. I am very hurt by his comments because his kind of words never, ever stop hurting, but everyone should be given an opportunity to redeem themselves and brow beating him will never lead to any good, ultimately.

October 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I absolutely believe that Clinton tried to get Meeks to get out of the race. The Democrats are so desperate that they are trying to manipulate the vote any way they can.

October 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  43. Renee

I think this bullying campaign needs some national marker or something just like the October Breast Cancer Month with pink and white. There must be a national push for understanding.

October 28, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  44. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

When are we going to see gay, straight, black, white, hispanic et all as one people?
    Well, great show tonight. Anderson has so much integrity. Keep them honest. Yeah! Right on!

October 28, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  45. Emily

@NaDine Rawls,
    "that freedom as with ANY freedom there is a responsibility."
    Exactly! A person can't scream fire in an open theater when there is not one. Words are powerful, and the impact that they can have on someone...

October 28, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  46. Jenny McCormack

I wonder if he flipped the coin to his family. I feel bad for his children and wife who now are open target of national bullying because of his innapropriate behavior.

October 28, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  47. DENNIS. S.

This man is going to resighn, Like if that is the answer, he will just go to another place at another time and do the same.To hear him saying I am not a bad person at least twice, looks like he belives it.
    Sennis. S.

October 28, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  48. Paula

Ellen called for the heterosexual community to stand up and say ENOUGH! Know that many of us who are straight are not narrow in our views. We, as responsible allies, have a civic and moral responsibility to speak out against intolerance.

October 28, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  49. Karin

A short while ago Mr. Meek held a press conference where he denounced the rumours that he was asked by Bill Clinton to step down.

October 28, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  50. veronica

I am a teacher of 26 years and every year one of the most important things we teach children is tolerance toward everyone. I am a black woman who believes that children are special and no one with that attitute should ever be around children.

October 28, 2010 at 10:44 pm |