October 28th, 2010

Anti-Gay Facebook Rant Fallout: Join the Live Chat

What he did shocked the nation. What Clint McCance will do tonight, which so many others don't in a situation like this, won't be easy. McCance, a school district vice-president, who posted very harsh words online about gay victims of bullying who take their own lives, talks only to 360°. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jill Horwich

My question is this: how is it that a school board official is unaware of the nationwide epidemic of teen and preteen suicides? Whatever his beliefs are, how is it that he's on a school board and doesn't know about this? Does he also not know about the H1N1 situation? Teenage drug use? Illiteracy? What else doesn't he know about?

Second question - he says that he used the wrong words, that the words he used were too harsh. Too harsh? Well, what words should he have used? What words in the English or any other language would be acceptable to express this kind of thinking? He apologizes not for WHAT he said, but because he said it too harshly? If I were gay, I'd be saying "thanks but no thanks." He should never be permitted to hold any position involving children again in his life. Moreover, his own children should be taken away from him and given a more suitable home.

October 28, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Tunde - Manchester

we all make mistakes intentionally or accidentally. The man has made a mistake and i think he has realized it. The question however is do we all in our day to day activities not exhibit such signs of hatred towards those whom we are not in agreement with? Its a wake call to all of us. Lets hold to our principles and respect the feelings of others

October 28, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Kim in Western Mass

Go Ellen! Come on Heteros, the LGBTQ community needs your support if any of us are to have a chance at living a fair and equal life.

October 28, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Carol Orticari

As a lesbian who has been an educator for 35 years, what is becoming painfully clear is that the bullying isn't just perpetrated by students. I have been bullied by teachers, principals, and assistant superintendents who have driven me out of schools. They never fire you but they torment you until you leave. Why does it surprise people? Adults can be bullies too and if bullying isn't being stopped in schools perhaps we have to look at why and how educators are a part of the problem. My heart breaks for all children who are not being protected and for the gay adults who are being bullied but who fear speaking out because they may lose their jobs. We all need to speak out. We are all God's children and parents' children and we all have a voice. Please speak out. Use your voice to help everyone.

October 28, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Cody Jackson

As a citizen of the great State of Arkansas, this makes our state look foolish toward the country. I hope he keeps his word, and resigns!

October 28, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  6. Wendy - Canada

Mr. McCance, I'm not buying your sudden change of heart. You didn't know teenage suicide was such a major issue, what planet have you been living on ? A Christian does not encourage children to take thier own lives and disown their own children. I am absolutely appalled and repulsed by your hateful words.

October 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  7. lisal -canada

it was very interesting just listening to everyone's perspectives and points of view, towards both the topic and each other

October 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  8. Randall

While speaking aloud we can sometimes say things in a way we might not have intended. Putting our words to paper (or keyboard) gives us time to consider what we are saying. I believe the comments he made came from his true beliefs. His only regret is the outlash he has received.

October 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  9. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@JoAnn – your posts about FB are insightful and true.
    Free speech is one thing, hate speech is something else again, especailly against children.
    Perhaps if all of us who use FB complained, something would be done.

October 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  10. Janet

This guy is only sorry that he got caught making such hateful and cruel comments. Being an educator, how could he NOT know how prevalent bullying and suicide is in our society? I admire Mr. Truong greatly for asking people not to comdemn or threaten Clint's family.
    Mr. Truong, your son seemed like an amazing kid. I'm so sorry for your loss.

October 28, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  11. Michael

Now the McCance family suffers also with the death threats. The consequences of learning, teaching, and showing hatred hurts everyone eventually.

October 28, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  12. Emily

@Danielle Cantrell,
    Thanks! I don't have a Facebook Account, so it's not something that I've ever read.

October 28, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  13. Heather - Spokane, WA

I dont care what color you are, what religion you are, what sexual preference you have or if you are an alien from another planet, I accept you.

October 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  14. B ill

I just saw, a Man who was contrite. he said the best words that he could find. I think he undestands what he said was wrong, and he is pushing to find a more open understanding. As a 52 Y.O. gay man, I see , and CAN see, his issues. I pray he is honest, and I pray for his children (whom-ever they become)

Bill- Rialto ,Ca.

October 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Janis

I'm an optimist. I believe he got the catalyst he needed to accomplish a good change in his life. Good interview, Anderson. Maybe other ignorant citizens are watching and starting to have doubt about their belief systems. These attitudes don't go away overnight. Patience and keep going forward to educate and illuminate.

October 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  16. Renee

Imagine what this man is saying in private!

Just a shout out to the Mom and Dad that were on the air 5 minutes ago! Love the Mom's comments.

October 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  17. Michael

I understand that this family has lost a love one. Its just sad to me that they, like most Christians, don't see that the same faith they trust in, caused the hate that this man expressed.

October 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Sharon

Ellen, please continue with your message. You are truly a good role model for young people.

October 28, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I do like Ellen, I am thinking she is right about that all gays feel their pain so much.... I also supporting some gays and lebsian as well.

October 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Karen, MN

I'm watching this with my 18 year old son. We are having a great dicussion.

October 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  21. jay

it sounds to me that he is sorry for the language used and not the content. he regrets the ugly words, but still feels that the content of what he said is right. he needs to rethink his core values.

October 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Trebor Reinhardt

i lost a friend to suicide she was only thirteen... some of my closest family friends are gay there is nothing wrong with it... but i give the father props i would have wanted to thrash and destroy that man for what he said

October 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Rand in NM

No one deserves to be belittled for being different from the norm. No child deserves to be pressured to commit suicide, especially adults in a point of educational authority. We are all unique and have merit. McCance is playing at being "ignorant" only because he was "outed." Being caught voicing these threats in a public forum like Facebook has made him think twice. I do appreciate that bullying is being brought to a national discussion like this. Our schools are rampant with bullying and the issue needs to continue to be addressed.

October 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  24. Emily

What about treating everyone with respect & decency?

October 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  25. Heather

I am so in awe of Ellen right now...

October 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  26. Tammie Vinson

I am so tired of people using their religion to justify hate. They should have fired him, giving him the opportunity to resign is unacceptable. He needs to get a life and allow others to live their lives. Take that to the church!

October 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  27. Denny

Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me. When did we stop teaching our children this tried and true advice. McCance sounds more like a rube than a bully to me. Just some idiot who ran his mouth at a bad time. I say show him the tollerance that he did not show others. Then he might really learn something.

October 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  28. Richard F

I am watching Anderson's interview with Mr. McCance and as a parent, grandfather and great grandfather, my heart breaks for the family of those children who have been bullied and taken their lives. Mr. McCance should be relieved of his position in the schools and his remarks are carefully spoken - I feel more out of fear than remorse. I have always taught my children that the tongue does more damage than the sword. His choice of words can not be taken back and I admire the family of the child for taking their christian stance in forgiving Mr. McCance. ALL FORMS OF BULLYING MUST STOP AND THE PARENTS NEED TO TAKE A STRONGER HAND TO CONTROL THEIR CHILDREN'S BEHAVIOR. If not, then schools must do more to reprimand any student caught bullying. Time to clean up the teachers and get rid of the bad ones.

October 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  29. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Oh, his resignation would have been on the president board desk.

October 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  30. Karen, MN

That’s the problem. How do you get him to leave the school board.

October 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  31. jake

Your not sorry you just dont want to lose your job.And I think you just hate gay people.you dont have the right man!I am shocked and appauled.You call yourself christian but you want gay people to die.

October 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  32. Lulu Bell

This bully did not become this way overnight. Clearly, words and actions had to have been made before now. So, my question is, how and why has nothing been done before now? Is he that good at hiding this personality from society, or his family?

October 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  33. Sharon Hastings

I'm afraid his "horrible message" as Ellen called it has already been passed along to his children. He was raised to believe this way and I'm sure he has given this message to his children. Hope not, but that's how it works.

October 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  34. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

That is a good point Anderson. Replace "gay" with any other group and you would probably see a strong and swift reaction.

October 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  35. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Didn't he say he was resigning from his post?

October 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  36. Mary Lewis

He cannot back track quick enough, his words will forever haunt him. Let him live with that! Evertime he walks out of his home he knows people will be starring and pointing at him. I feel so sad for his children, to be raised by such a hateful man. He has the nerve to say he lives by the Bible. I was always reaised that God loved us all equally?

October 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  37. Melanie

He said just enough, in his mind, to deflect the hatred now directed at him. It's clear he still feels the same. He basically said the jury is still out on how he would treat his children if they came out.

What a parent. I truly pity this man's children.

October 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  38. Dan

Anderson I think people are misunderstanding the meaning of "Forgive" I wont comment on the religious definition because I am not religious Forgiving really has little to do with person who has makes the hurtful, comment or act. It is the letting go of the person's power over perpetuate that pain and disturbance in your life.

October 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  39. Leslie

If I were a parent in that district I'd be twice as disgusted with not only the hurtful and harmful things he said but how ignorant and poorly written it was. This is supposed to be a leader in the education system and if he's going on like that he's making everyone look bad.

October 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  40. NaDine Rawls

People will probably defend him with the "freedom of speech" debate; however, with that freedom as with ANY freedom there is a responsibility.

October 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  41. Sam

McCance said: "this is the only media I have USED". That says it all for me – he is trying to use the media to make this go away not because he is remorseful.

October 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  42. Richard

I find it interesting that the man apologized for his language but not how he feels or thinks.

October 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  43. Kelvin

im not gay but I think , like any other group they should be allowed to live without been disrespected especially KIDS

October 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  44. Carlos

I don't think for his opinion, but that he said it on FACEBOOK, for all to see. He was a more open homophobe before the posting. Now, he'll just keep it to himself, family, and friends.

October 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  45. Chris

i do hope that his children won't be bullied because of what he said. may his family never feel the hatred and discrimination that LGBT kids experience. i wish that he is really sorry and see the hate he sowed will also be the hate he would reap.

October 28, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  46. Josie S.

It is so hurtful for an elected official to say such ignorant hateful things. Its sorry to see that he's more concerned about the fact that this has been put national television instead of the hatred he is spreading. He needs to learn to embrace diversity because that what makes America beautiful.

October 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  47. Brunie

He acted like a bully when he posted those words on facebook. Has he bullied anyone in his life time?

October 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  48. Michael

Hatred upon hatred. Now the McCance family suffers also with the death threats. The consequences of learning, teaching, and showing hatred hurt everyone.

October 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  49. Tracy

I am a straight mother of a teenage daughter... I teach her to respect others no matter what.

October 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  50. Tesrin, Bangladesh

We live is a sad world. And this man's heart is black. He says he was ignorant when he made those comments. Well, things he said about gay people that they should die because of who they were, well that has nothing to go with ignorance but everything to do with hate. I don't believe him.

October 28, 2010 at 10:37 pm |