October 28th, 2010

Anti-Gay Facebook Rant Fallout: Join the Live Chat

What he did shocked the nation. What Clint McCance will do tonight, which so many others don't in a situation like this, won't be easy. McCance, a school district vice-president, who posted very harsh words online about gay victims of bullying who take their own lives, talks only to 360°. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Amy, Naples Florida

wow, as a gay woman with kids I was shocked by this story. Thank you Anderson for making this "wrong". The "christians" have to stop hateing! Its so scary to be gay, everyone should do their part to be more accepting and make this easier. No one would choose this, god made us and its not wrong.

October 28, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  2. Yasir

David and Amy have very big hearts and I can't imagine their pain. However their compassion and ability to remain so composed in the midst of such clear and personal hate toward their situation is admirable. I wish them and their family all the best.

Good job anderson

October 28, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  3. Emily

@Libby,
    Has Facebook had anything to say about this?
    Did anyone ask to have it taken down?

October 28, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  4. dale prokupek md

THe saddest part of all of this is that the "Christian" leaders of his community are not publicallly condemning him. How healing would that be?

October 28, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  5. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

If I had an identifiable Clint McCance in my community I would befriend him. I believe (and I have consistently practiced when the opportunity allows) bringing people like Clint closer to us, so they get to know someone who is GLBT, humanizes us and gets the "Clints" of the world to change their perspective.

October 28, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  6. Shawn

His words were truly horrible, but I believe he is sorry for his beliefs. I think the off-air conversation with Anderson and the guy who drove to his home to speak with him turned him around. I believe that he had a really long look at himself and put himself in the shoes of the kids who killed themselves and thier grieving parents. I don't think he did a complete 180–he may still believe that being gay is wrong–but I don't think he still believes people–kids–should die because of it.

October 28, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  7. April

Thank you, from a mother of a gay son, Thank you. Short and sweet, if you didnt hear me the first time Thank you, to ANderson Cooper, Ellen and everyone who will stand up for the little man. Thank you, I love my son unconditionally, I love all my children.

October 28, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Marianne

It is not possible to change overnight. Mr. McCance is sorry only because his hateful heart has hurt him and his family. He was not being honest and does not deserve forgiveness. The thought of this man raising children is frightening. He is no different than a terrorist who raises their children to hate. When will it end?

October 28, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I would like to know how Facebook would defend the fact that they allowed McCance to post these hateful words.

I believe in freedom of speech, but I don't believe in people preaching hate towards anyone, especially not towards innocent victims.

October 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Chris in Little Rock AR

I would like to confirm one of Mr. McCance's statements made on his facebook.

Do you mean to tell me that you would just throw your own child aside like a piece of garbage or a dirty dish rag if they told you they were gay?

You would take the love that you had to help create your child and raise your child and give to your child and throw it away just like that. Mr McCance can you please confirm this so that your family and the family of the children in your school district know what kind of heartless person you really are.

I hope that you take the time to look at yourself in the mirror and check the damage you have done because it will always be right behind you.

I would like you to know though that I, a 23 year old GAY male, forgive you for the things you said. Because unlike you I will always be the bigger person.

October 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Danielle Cantrell

@Emily: If you read the Terms of Service on Facebook, under Safety, it says you can't say things like he did.

October 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Wonderful interview with Asher's parents.

Everything they said was true. They honor Asher's life and memory very well.

Anderson, thank you so much for paying attention to this story and bringing awaremess
    of our childrens' national plight.

October 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Tom of Colorado

School is #1 interaction outside of the home for a child, us adult population can walk away from people we don't want to see but for a child they have to see those people day in and day out and have no choice to walk away

October 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Martha SW Floridq

Clint McCance says he still holds his core beliefs and was sorry that he made a bad choice of words. His beliefs translate in to votes for candidates who have been using some of the same kind of inflammatory language about gay people..
    Not to be too harsh, it seems that Mr McCance is trying to face a life lesson.

God bless these parents who have lost a son. They just offered a lesson in true Christ like values. Christ preached unconditional love. Exactly.

October 28, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  15. Sharon

As a former teacher, I am glad to see that he is resigning as a policy maker for that school. Every child is different and they have a right for that individualism. I do have empathy for his family,and I hope that his children has a good adult in their lives, who will love them and allow them to grow in their own light. May he find that truly every human life is valuable.

October 28, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Anton

Anderson, there is an epidemic of bullying and suicides among vulnerable kids in this country. For a Christian, family man, in public office to spew out such vile words is abominable. He has added to a growing sub-culture of bigotry and hate. Clint McCance is a monster and his apologies are disingenuous.

October 28, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Ermahn Ospina

First of all , thank you for asking direct questions.

This is for everyone

Freedom of speech comes with the responsibility and that is respect.

The man got caught but obviously based on his answers he is not sorry.

October 28, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Dyanne

I watched this interview tonight, while I appreciate the fact that Mr. McCance stepped forward and told his side of the story, I really don't find it sincere at all. If he were really ashamed, he would have flat out stated that he would never use the words "Gay, Fag, etc" ever again... I guess it takes more than humiliation and an interview to change ones aspect on diversity in our world.

October 28, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Val

Lets not destroy the mans entire life over a few harsh and ignorant comments, as careless and insensitive as they may be. The guy is genuinely apologetic. Besides there are plenty more degenerates out there to tar and feather. Give the guy a break...

October 28, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Maureen in SC

I dont see that he redeemed himself at all. He statements prove he is a bigot and he should not be in an educational setting with children. All to often folks say things that are vile, then come forward and apologize like that makes it all better. YOu dont say those things unless you really believe them.

October 28, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Heather

Standing Ovation for the Truong family right now. My heart really goes out to them.

October 28, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  22. Dr. Suzann Lawry

He repeatedly states, they were the "wrong words" and "that was not my intent", ask him what the right words are, what was his intent, because clearly, he won't be able to articulate any words nor intent EXCEPT hatred, bigotry because what is behind the words is still clearly there.

October 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  23. Lulu Bell

I do not believe him. I do believe he needs to be legally held accountable for his actions.

October 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Brian in Chicago

How terrible for these families...and kids that have gone thru the pain of HATE like Clint spreads. I can't take it...how sad, sad and evil.
    thank you Anderson...

October 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Ross, NY

It's amazing how he is only apologizing for the words he used, not the message he said. He is still clearly full of hatred.

October 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  26. Mike

Religion can cause as much hate as it does love.

October 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  27. Cheryl in Rhode Island

Anderson–thank you for doing such a wonderful job with such integrity! You're truly a joy to watch!

Regarding this guy, McCance, he's just sorry because it's affecting HIS life and family... His own character is NOT going to change! He ALWAYS will be the ignorant person he is!

October 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  28. Micci

What I would simply like to know, sir, is where this intense hatred comes from? Why do you waste emotional energy on something that has no effect on you of your life at all?

October 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  29. Janis

I hope the people who are threatening him and his family will stay back. These people are bullying now. That doesn't go along with the stop the bullying paradigm shift Anderson is trying to accomplish here.

October 28, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Wendell Petersen

I just watched the interview with the Ark. School official, he is not sorry for what he said, he is sorry that he got caught doing what he thought was making him out to be a big tough man. He said that his freinds and community know the real him. There are a lot of sick minded people that have killed and torrmented others and the ones around them will say "he was the nicest man".

October 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Aldrin Mayen

Yes we all have bad days, but it is how we handle those bad days that reflect the type of person we really are. He should have known better, he works with kids and has his own children as well. I really hope that his apology is sincere.

October 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Brenda

Seems as though He knows the right words to say in order to sound remorseful but don't believe he yet understands the impact or why his FB comments were so inflammatory

October 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  33. B. Montgomery

Are the kids doing the bullying punished in any way?

October 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  34. Bonnie Milam

I just watched the interview with Clint McCance and he seems to be truly sorry. I do understand the words spoken and then wishing to take them all back. One they are out, oh no!! I for one have done it on several occasions. Let the person who is without sin (or misspoken words) throw out the first stone. With this new media network, he must all think before we type.

October 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Sam

McCance doesn't seem sincere in his "apology" to the parents of children who have committed suicide. He looks more like he's been backed into a corner and is acting however is expected and will, hopefully, make him appear a better person.

October 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  36. David

Anderson –
    WHat Clint said on Facebook is awful. It is good he came on your program, but I think you need to condemn the death threats against his family.
    Making an anti Gay Rant is bad
    Threatening to kill his wife and children because of his insensitive comment is far worse than anything this guy said

October 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  37. Matt

I don't believe a word he said. He is obviously on damage control. He kept saying he was sorry about the suicides, but he couldn't get the words gay or queer out of his mouth. He couldn't even respond to what he would do if his own children came out to him. His bigotry is still there. His apology fell flat. The only goods news is he is removing himself from public office.

October 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  38. Gary Shepard

McCance has probably gone as far as he is ready/able to truthfully go – so while he may not be where many others are, toward the acceptance of gay and lesbian people, he is where he is and is not given to inflicting pain upon those with whom he disagreed. we all are challenged to accept others, including Mc Cance, who aren't at the same place as we are. We are all challenged by many facets of tolerance.

October 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  39. Citizen Kane

Words hurt, and kill. We have seen that, and we know that to be true. We all (adults and children) need to be careful about the words that we speak.

October 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  40. Melissa

This man is deplorable...the only thing he is sorry about is that he will be losing his job and the comforts that job has afforded him and his famuily and they will suffer because of his ignornace and selfishness. He has brought shame upon his family and his state. My heart goes out to those families who have lost children to suicide because of those in our society who think like this individual. I truly feel sorry for his children he is clearly an unfit and abusive parent.

October 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  41. nikki

The "in the heat of the moment" argument doesn't fly at all, because when you post a status update, its whats on your mind in that moment. He made those initial comments completely unprovoked, not in some heated discussion he was having at that moment. Notice he "hopes" he won't use those words anymore...and "only time will tell" if he would disown his own children that he supposedly loves to death and who's lives his world purportedly revolves around if they were to disclose they were gay. Give me a break. This was damage control, pure and simple. He disgusts me. And his "Christian" views disgust me as well.

October 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  42. Carlos

Very Agree,with other comment like:"He's just sorry he got caught".

October 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  43. vic , nashville tn

Clint McCance when you do wrong please don’t put the religion in front to get excuse for your action

October 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  44. Bella

I think that Anderson has a really good way of talking to people and getting his point across. I am very impressed.

October 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  45. Sue R. Canton MI.

I agree with many of the comments. I don't understand how you can say your a Christian and rant,wish people dead and bully people. I'm a Christian and I know I'm not perfect. I may disagree with many things,But it's not up to me to judge others because they may be different then me. Words can hurt.

October 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  46. Karen

Mr. McCance,
    You say your intention was not to hurt with your words, but then what was your intention with your obviously hurtful comments?

October 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  47. Mike

I just watched the interview and do not beleive he is truly sorry or better yet understands what he said and how they affect people.
    How does a person with these type of values get elected to a school board? I am sure this was not the first time he voiced those type of thoughts, whether in public or private. He said he was sorry for the comments and they were ignorant but at the same time kept on saying they were too strong.

So what does he really mean by that?

October 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  48. Jessica Pedrotte

I don't know I would really forgive this guy right now caues I think that he wanted too be cought.

From Detroit MI

October 28, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  49. Libby

Emily, that's a good question about Facebook. It seems to me like it's not very well moderated.

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  50. Geneviève - Montréal

The Truongs are amazing; they recently lost a son and they are still capable of rational thoughts. I'm not a believer but since they seem to be, I hope they feel protected by their god. I wish them the best.

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |