October 28th, 2010

Anti-Gay Facebook Rant Fallout: Join the Live Chat

What he did shocked the nation. What Clint McCance will do tonight, which so many others don't in a situation like this, won't be easy. McCance, a school district vice-president, who posted very harsh words online about gay victims of bullying who take their own lives, talks only to 360°. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kevin Pendry

Funny how contrite is the bully who becomes the bullied.

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  2. Karin

@Cassie
    I am afraid Mr. McCance felt compelled to let everyone how he truly felt about people of a diffent persuation and in all probabilty still believes the same at this time. He hoped to be anonymous. Well, he is not only wrong but also very stupid.

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  3. leon

I am very offended by this. There is nothing Christian about this man. I feel the same deep felt pain and anger of David Troung. David just know for every hater there are thousands that support you.

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  4. Heather - Spokane, WA

Bless Mr and Mrs Truong for being the bigger people. Im sorry you have to re-live your tragedy

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  5. John

How does he fix his heart if others don't believe he can?

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  6. julia

This man is sorry for what he said...not what he believes in my opinion. I don't know which is more astounding: that he believes these hateful things or that he had no idea saying them would generate such a reaction. Wow. I can't believe he works for a school board. If I were his wife, children or parents I would be ashamed beyond belief. Clint needs help!

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  7. Gary James

If the shoe was on the other foot, and one of his daughters was gay, he'd be acting completely different. Perhaps, like one of these families that happened to have lost their child due to people with his hate. So sad. I send nothing but love to those and to all the young people trying to figure out themselves. I know I'll sleep well tonight, with love in my heart. How will you sleep tonight, Mr McCance?

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  8. John

You see people instigating confrontation online like this all the time. Most of the time they are smart enough not to use their real names. Unfortunately I believe Mr. McCance is just a product of years of hate provided by religious dogma. "Love thy neighbor, unless they're gay".

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  9. Jon T in Los Angeles, CA

I'm glad McCance is resigning but I didn't like his comment on plans to be re-elected. He should not be around our country's children and I do not believe he will change.

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  10. Kim from Cedar Rapids, IA

Aside from the pure venom Mr. McCance spewed about homosexuals, I am most distressed that he never even considered the ramifications of sharing his thoughts in a public forum as if he existed in a vacuum. I cringe at the thought of hate speech but I respect the right for folks to have their own beliefs. I am at a loss that the adult in this missed the consequences of his action as if he were a toddler in a china shop.

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Regina

This man is not sincerely sorry at all even if he says so on live television. You do not post something with so much intensity and then take it all back and say he did not mean it. This man is clearly a bad person/bully himself. This is where children learn it from.....their parents and that's why everyone should actually address this issue not just to the children but the their parents as well.

October 28, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  12. Chuck

Great interview, AC; the way you held your composure was truly admirable! I'm convinced McCane doesn't comprehend the gravity of what he's done . . . that he's more sorry just to be exposed. His thinking won't change much; he doesn't seem capable of going very deep, intellectually.

October 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Lulu Bell

McCance's "apology" will have to be followed up by "true actions". How does he plan to rectify his words and possible actions? Will he become an active member of the anti-bullying community? If so, I would like to hear from Mr. McCance himself as to how he and others will hold him accountable for the damage he has done.

October 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  14. Linda

I can't help but wonder how Clint McCance would feel if one of his children or family members left behind a suicide note saying they could not longer go on living after hearing how he feels towards gays and lesbians. He has no idea what anyone in his family may be hiding. My son, parter, and beautiful granddaughter do not have to worry about such remarks by their family. We love them so much and wouldn't change anything about them. So Mr. McCance I hope you can live with what you have done.

October 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Drew

In 1988, I came out on Seattle TV, as a gay high school student in my letterman's jacket, citing the high rate of homelessness and suicide amongst GLBT youth. In short, I almost got expelled for making those comments and increased the bullying I received from my fellow students, faculty and staff. From then on, it was my resolve to live my life without fear. 22 years after, I'm shocked and appalled that such behavior from a school board member is condoned and tolerated. Thank goodness that Mr McCance announced his resignation and acknowledged his wrong doing.

October 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  16. Tom of Colorado

Parents support and guidance with the child of how to deal with peers and bullying shold be addressed to keep the child's self esteem up

October 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  17. Kevin

I don't believe him, you don't make comments like that and in that much detail to be sorry later. Maybe its because I am a gay man that I don't trust it.

October 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Johnny

When pockets of American society allow themselves to look at the outside world as inferior, and they use todays technology to spread their hateful views, there should be cause for incarceration and/or civil fines.

October 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  19. Claudia Alvarez

I am not very religious, and I am offended by him saying he knows what is in the bible. Kindness and goodwill are ultimately the most Christian virtues.He has neither.

October 28, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  20. Mary

The guy has so much hate in his heart... when asked about if his kids were gay he said "I don't know what I'd do", after saying he'd disown them... If you're truly a good person with "Christian" beliefs the automatic response should be "I will love my kids no matter what".

October 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  21. Emily

Good for David Truong & Amy.

October 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  22. Nalini

It's painful to watch the parents of these kids. They need to have an amazing amount of courage to continue each day.

October 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  23. Jessica Pedrotte

Kids that get bullied caues they are gay or not I don't think that the family's that lost of a loved one want too see or hear another child it bullied.This is really sad that kids are taking there own live's.I pray to god that we can stop the bullieing.

October 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  24. Dainyon

Repeated diatribes on the young gay community will only lead to a myriad of problems that will in turn work to exacerbate the instability of these children that already feel as if they have been abandoned by those closet to them. People like Clint have no place in the educational world.

October 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  25. Heidi Berg

Yes what he said was wrong ,I truly beleive he is sorry about what he said about suicide and we should be understanding and forgiving of those who got taught or brought up in an environment that is not openminded and understanding of things they just don't understand.This coment he made we could look at it as a reminder of how we act when one say's things that are hurtful to others.

October 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  26. eduardo

He keeps saying he regrets his choice of words and he does not believe in bullying and so on but he never said he was sorry about his comments and that he does not believe what he wrote

October 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  27. Kelly, PA

Anderson, very well done. You confronted him without losing dignity. I'm not sure I believe he's sorry, but I think he knows now this hate speech is not accepted.

October 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    Good interview you handle him, Great job!

October 28, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  29. Libby

I sure hope this man really feels what he's saying deep down in his heart. I hope he's not just saying this because he was caught.

October 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  30. Scott

I don't believe he is sincerely sorry about what he said. He's just shocked that the whole country is now talking about it. I have no doubt that he'll use those words again! Those words were not used by someone in the "heat of the moment", again I have no doubt this guy meant every word he posted. Hate doesn't go away in 24-48 hours. I just hope he hasn't pushed some poor kid over the edge giving them the last reason to take their life.

October 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  31. Raymond

Can we all agree that he didn't appear remotely remorseful for his bigotry? He's doing damage control because he got caught! This was not a successful interview for him. He doesn't seem to have learned any lesson whatsoever, except (perhaps...) to keep his anti-gay bigotry confined to the kitchen table, to his poor children....

October 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  32. Adele

I can't believe this man still has a job. He completely avoided answering questions about what he would do in the future. When asked if he would use these ugly words in the future, he said he couldn't say. This...person can't be trusted. His mindset is so dangerous. You were too kind Anderson. He states his children are his heart but then can't say he wouldn't disown them in the future...I feel so sorry for his kids.

October 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  33. Janis

Facebook does need to do something about creating a more humane site. You would think they would want to protect their corporate image some way. Right now, I don't think much of their image.

October 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  34. Pauline

Mr. McCance doesn't know how he would react if his children announced they were gay? That is not unconditional love. Also, a person who is on a school board and is "ignorant" with regard to suicide, needs to resign immediately1

October 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  35. Ray

He did not commit to not using hateful language again. And he was not sure how he'd treat his kids if they were gay. What exactly has he learned?

October 28, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  36. Cortney

School official or not, he was wrong. No matter what words he used, from what I can tell he still has that feeling in his heart. If no one said anything to him about it he wouldn't have apologized. Religion or no religion that type of hate is what's wrong with the world. This is why we can't get anything productive accomplished. We are so selfish that we aren't treating people the way we want to be treated. It's so fundamental.

37. Jack, Long Island, NY

Now he may understand since he has had to move his family out of his state. "Reaping what he sowed": his words, just now. Not to wish this on anyone, let's move on. Thank you for putting this on.

38. Brigitte

Thank you so much, Anderson, for airing this! In my family, I have several loved ones who are gay, and I LOVE them all. This man seems sorry about the "fall-out" regarding his FB postings, but I noticed he evaded your question you posed about whether or not he would accept his own children if they realized they were gay..."That's in the future." A man with "Christian values" who spews such hatred is so sad, and so scary.

39. Sam

Yeah, he didn't say he was sorry for what he said. he was sorry for his choice of words, but he most definitely still believes in what he posted online!

He danced around and gave a weak, half way apology. But you better believe he meant every word he said.

40. Amber

Why is it that people believe their comments and words of hate can simply be taken away by an apology? How do we know the apology was sincere and not just an attempt to keep his job?
    As a bisexual teen these hate fueled remarks were painful to read.

41. Irma Casanova

The only reason McCance is apologizing is because he got caught and is now trying to "back paddle". He needs to turn to God for forgiveness. This is not a true Christian man.

42. Heather

This man is offensive and disgusting. He should have been fired.

43. Koron

I'm elated he came forth although I thought it was more of an opportunity to try to clear his name and reduce the threats. It's hard to come up with those words if they are not in your heart. If the reason he's that adamently against gays is being Christian then he somehow missed the main message. LOVE!!! God forgives. So Clint I forgive you. Truly in my heart. I'm praying for you.

44. Kelvin

Mr Clint hates gays the only reason he agreed to say im sorry was due to all the heat coming down on him

45. Tisha, Dallas TX

Thanx but no thanx Mr. McCance...we don't need your help with suicide awareness

46. Jay

Something that I would be interested in knowing is....What was his reasoning for posting such a hateful thing to begin with? What were his underlying reasons for doing it?

47. Pauline Edie

This guys apology seem sincere. I do not condone his comments but I feel like I can forgive him even tho I am not God. I am sure from now on he will think carefully before he writes! But then again it is his view. Is it bc he made it public y it is so offensive. Just saying.

48. Shay

He keeps saying he doesn't believe in bullying. He is "sorry " for hurting people? He is a liar. He is only sorry he got caught and that his own family is now in danger!! Sorry excuse for a human being!

49. Kim in Western Mass

I personally would have felt more comfortable if he was honest. This man has hatred in his heart. He meant everything he said. He's just sorry he got caught.

50. Danielle

What time were these comments actually posted? The screen captures I saw were hours apart. Was any of this done "on the clock?"

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9