October 28th, 2010

Anti-Gay Facebook Rant Fallout: Join the Live Chat

What he did shocked the nation. What Clint McCance will do tonight, which so many others don't in a situation like this, won't be easy. McCance, a school district vice-president, who posted very harsh words online about gay victims of bullying who take their own lives, talks only to 360°. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sam Smith

I'm very glad to hear that he is resigning. He will now have time to reflect on the damaging power of his words. If he truly doesn't believe in bullying, then he needs to realize that discrimination is a fancy word for it. Words are powerful and hate speech hurts everyone.

October 28, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Rand B

As an educator and gay, I am extremely sensitive to the issues. McCance has shown he is not and should be reprimanded and disciplined. In my school district, he would lose his standing in the community.

October 28, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Sam

He now wants to be a champion of anti-bullying – give me a break.

4. Nancy

He isn't sorry for what he said – only for his poor choice of (strong) words...

5. Emily

@Casey Jones,
    Don't people who have a Facebook account have to agree to not make those kinds of comments, etc? (will they not be removed by Facebook, etc.)
    Can't they be held legally accountable?

6. James

This guy isn't sorry for what he said. He is sorry he got caught and know his life is a living Hell. Just like bullys like him do to other people.

7. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

It doesn't really bother me so much about what Clint believes. I'm most concerned about how he conducts himself, as a public figure.

8. Lorrie

I will only believe he is sorry when he stands up and supports the gay community to have equal rights. Will he vote for gay rights? No he wont.

9. Ed

Note that when he was asked how he would react to one of his kids coming out to him, he said he would cross that bridge if it appears. There's no real change of heart for this man. He is just afraid now.

10. Betty

I don't believe this guy Clint, not for one second. This was not just some "mistake" as he characterizes it. The only reason he is on TV tonight apologizing is because of the hate mail and threats he and his family are getting.

11. Charlotte

Does anyone know what prompted this rant? Where has he been hiding if he is unaware of the suicide issue expecially in his position?

12. Tim

I don't believe him. Not at all. Notice how his eyes kept darting to the left? That's an involuntary action when someone is telling a lie....Anderson, I commend you. I couldn't have kept my cool while interviewing him.

13. Heather

Look at him... he has learned nothing from this situation!

Is a little genuine remorse too much to act?

14. Lauren

Note that McCance only apologized about suicide and bullying. Clearly his homophotic and hateful beliefs stand. We can thank the radical religious right for creating this bigotry based on their intolerant dogma.

15. Heather - Spokane, WA

This man says that he does not believe in bullying but he just bullied a whole bunch of people. Hypocrisy comes to mind now....

16. David

What an awful man, hiding behind his 'Christianity'. Someone with that much hate, which he has, isn't a Christian!!

I'm a proud gay man, with a family of my own and I think he needs some help and I hope he gets it, (help) that is.

17. Stephen Heckler

I am shocked that Clint McCance would say these horrible things about GBLT students. As a former teen who was bullied (not for sexual reasons however)I feel hurt by his comments, because they hit home to all kids who are bullied, not just GBLT students

18. Libby

What a sorry, sad man Mr. McClance is. Truly pathetic.

19. William

How ignorant a person can be. I am sorry for his kids, can you imaging living with a persona like that. I just saw your show Anderson and I could not believe what I was seeing. Thanks God I live in Canada.

20. Kenya

He "thinks" he was out of line?? He WAS WAAAYY out of line!!! Come on Clint.

21. Jeanie

I'll try and keep this short. My daughter has reasently been bullyed for being gay in her school by not only the crule teens at the school but by the teachers as well. I sent a letter into Elen. This teacher deserves to be fired and should be but has not been.

22. Tom of Colorado

I am not to happy how he responded on the fact that if one of his own children was to be gay, if he would disown. Any parent should be for 100% no matter of their sexual preference

23. C. Scott

I feel very sorry for this male (he's not a man) and his family. He still obviously feels the same way just sorry he got caught. His ignorance is amazing.

24. Kali Skinner - AR

@ Phil I have been born and raised in Arkansas. I live really close to where this happened. Stuff like this doesnt happen alot. AR is a nice place with (mostly) nice people. 🙂

25. Andy

I find it suspect that a few days ago, he was full of hate and now he is sorry. Why the change of heart, especially since he said his core values didnt change? This man changed nothing, he just got caught in one of his hate-filled rampages. Hate and Christian values seem to go hand in hand

26. Gary James

Does this man even know the defination of 'bullying'?

27. Lisa

Another sad part about this story is the guy has kids. The kids will grow up believing what their Dad says about gay people. The cycle continues.

28. Quanzale McMath

From all the sobering, & regrets somebody realized the publicity was too powerful. But as for a state official, he should have known better.

29. Marita

Ckint's comments tonight are weak. He should be able to say that he wouldn't use those words in the future and that if his kids were gay they would be allowed to stay in the house.

30. alan

He only appeared on the telecast tonight and retracted his statements only because of the backlash against him... he is concerned for the safety of himself and his family... he only regrets expressing his hate because of the repercussions.
    He is lying tonight to save his skin.

31. Jordan

As a Christian, who just so happens to be a lesbian, I was heartbroken over the idea that someone would spread this kind of message to people that this is what the Christian faith is about. However I am equally heartbroken a person who attempted suicide, because you sent the message that you wish I had succeeded.

32. Mark

His apologies were staged.

33. Valerie

I thought as christians we are supposed to hate the "sin" not the "sinner" – I hope and pray people realize that not all christians believe or feel this way. We are supposed to preach love not hate!

34. Raymond

Now that he's been *made aware* of the LGBT Youth Suicide rate, is he also aware that it's so high because of people just like him?

35. Robert

Bravo Anderson. You showed kids who are being bullied, how to stand up to a beast, like this.

36. Charlie

It really angers me when radicals like this get to off and then get to apologize after the fact when the damage is done.

37. cindy

thanks anderson good job!!

38. Mike D

Interesting how he seems truly remorseful for making the comments and causing people pain, but is still brutally honest about his homophobia.

39. Yasir

He seemed sincerely apologetic for his actual words and its impact on specific people. However he obviously believes the message behind those words so very little that can be done to change such a narrow mind. I hope for more tolerance and understanding in a world getting far too extreme.

40. michelle

I'm glad that Mr. McCance has resigned. It needed to be done because it was the right thing to do, and my heart goes out to those students and their families.

41. Heather

Anyone who says they "don't know" how they would react if their kid was gay needs to have those kids taken away.

Free Speech /= Hate Speech. Grow up, Mr McCance.

42. Mary

I appreciate McCants having the spine to appear on the show, but his contrition needs improvement. And even if that is how he will continue to speak and think in the future, as an appointed official, he should have a better understanding of current events. "I had no idea, as I'm sure most people don't, how big an issue suicide is in this country." Really?

43. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

@JoAnn...FBs lack of "intrusion" is really head-scratching,not to mention frustrating.

44. Jess

As a gay youth, I find these statements appalling. I do not accept Mr. McCance's argument because he wouldn't have said these things if he didn't really think them- his "apology" comes only because he was caught.

45. Carlos

I don't believe him.

46. Debra

While I, sadly, was not shocked with Clint's comments I do hope that this experience has planted a seed of understanding in him and others with his views. Whenever your core beliefs are challenged or shaken - this can be a life altering experience. It isn't easy facing yourself in the mirror. I agree with Anderson - what Clint did by coming on AC is to be commended and he does have more courage and integrity than most politicians. I hope that this experience can open his eyes and heart.

47. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

One can say this is unacceptable without threatening anyone life. What is that all about?

48. Cheryl

I believe this man regrets the language that he used – he does not regret what has been said. God help his children if one turns out to be gay.

49. John

Everyone, What are your feelings about Mr. McCance? Be careful or you become just who you despise. Forgiveness is where its at

50. Matt, Miami FL

Anderson, i too admire and thank God we have free speech in this Country. I cherish it and use it everyday. However it is irresponsible for ignorant hatred to exist or to even see the light of day.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9