October 28th, 2010

Anti-Gay Facebook Rant Fallout: Join the Live Chat

What he did shocked the nation. What Clint McCance will do tonight, which so many others don't in a situation like this, won't be easy. McCance, a school district vice-president, who posted very harsh words online about gay victims of bullying who take their own lives, talks only to 360°. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Cheryle

I think that if this man believes that his brand of Christian is a good thing he might consider changing his religion. A whole lot of hate is spewed in the name of the bible. Very sad. That is no better than the hate going on in the middle east between religions.

October 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  2. Mary

This is the first I've heard of this... I'm disgusted. Glad he resigned. And I truly believe he's only sorry he got caught. Kudos to him though for speaking about it tonight.

October 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  3. Surathani

Yep Karin, I dont hear a hint of sincerity. Also I don't hear any maturity and willingness to dig deeper for tolerance. You brought it on yourself Clint.

October 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  4. Ali, Ann Arbor, MI

He was clearly a hater before (and this may seem like stretch, but it seems like he did it because some of his friends are haters and would have approved the message he put out), but it seems that our dear friend Clint has learned a valuable lesson in good behavior.

October 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  5. Brian

How Sad...

Clearly he is only sorry he got caught.. This truly saddens me. I don't have children nor am I gay but listening to that guy would break anyone's heart who has one

October 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  6. noel

The problem with all of this is that we shouldnt attack the person saying these things but these things being said as a whole.

October 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Shehan Jayawardena, Minneapolis MN

I'm just glad he's stepping down from his post. Ignorance and intolerance is abound...

October 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Kali Skinner - AR

woohooo!!! i read he resigned! thank God!

October 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Patrick

It doesn't seem he is apologizing to the gay community or victim's of suicide, rather than trying to stop the media from stalking him etc. Why is he not sure whether he will say "queer" or other names offensive in the future? He is obviously not sorry for his actions.

October 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Harold

I seen the interview, I believe he may be just trying to shield himself from anyone that may act on suicide from his actions. As a christian, he should have more remorse.

October 28, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Monica

HE didnt answer any questions he skid past them. My brother committed suicide a little over a month ago and I take offence to what he said in his post and to his as a person. I am glad he is stepping down, our kids need encouragement not belittling

October 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Kory

So he's saying he doesn't love his kids enough to love them for who they are, gay or not? His wife should divorce him and take his kids, and he should have a nice prison sentence for hate crimes.

October 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Nina

@ Karin
    Yes, of course. I could not imagine a change of perception from someone like that, so quickly... he is just in damage control mode as he has been threatened.

October 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  14. Emily

@jeanne,
    He sure didn't sound like he appreciated the threats to his family, etc. did he?
    The posting he made is so unbelievable to me, and by a person in his position.

October 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  15. David

I don't believe a word he says, he's not sorry. It's obvious he just kept repeating that he had bad judgement. He doesn't deserve to be working for a school district.

October 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Andrew

It's amazing Mr. McCance can be so hateful despite his dedication to the Bible. Hypocrite.

October 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Dave

Desperate words from a desperate man who was forced to apologize. Peace and Joy to you Mc Cance, but I doubt you'll find it.

October 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Mark

Sorry the man showed no remorse for his words just for suicide issues.

October 28, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  19. Kevin

America does have a moral backbone. Thank you for your resignation Mr. McCance.

October 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  20. Kenneth

As a gay man who often feels like a second class citizen in this country, Clint McCance's comments hurt my heart. Shame on him for hitting so far below the belt in such an ugly way.

October 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  21. Helen

What kind of bible those people are reading? You can agree or disagree about being gay but advocating suicide to young kids or anyone is definetly not christian.

October 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Ron Westheimer

Bravo for calling him out Anderson!....How can one person spew so much hate? In the "Heat of the moment" is no defense!...He said he would throw his kid's on the street and never talk to them again! There is "NO" defense for that!...

October 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Phil Boyd

It is really frightening that people like him exist. I frequently see advertisments about visiting Arkansas. They don't mention folks like him.

October 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Sharon Hastings

I do give the man credit for coming on the show and his emotion seemed genuine. I hope he has learned something. So touching that the boy's father would talk with him and spend time with him. That is what a truly good and spiritual person would do.

October 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  25. shirley

I will pray for this man to learn love and tolerance. Jesus/God is Love not hate.

October 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  26. Denise

Finally– a person who screws up big time and is big enough to admit it.

October 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  27. sheri

I would love to know if these anti gay people realize "it's not a choice"? I truly think they are uneducated on the topic and therefore irritated and angry that someone would choose the same sex. It's absolutely no excuse for their bullying ways and harsh words, I'm just saying someone needs to point them to the facts. Otherwise they seem so "back wood" mentality!

October 28, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  28. Karen, MN

If he believes in the bible he should know that gob all creates perfection.

October 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Lisa in Louisville

Anderson – you handled the interview with Mr. McCance with incredible grace.

October 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  30. Keith

Travis has hit the nail on the head: The American public schools have a trust to instruct and safeguard the wellness of every single child: any gender identity, ethnicity, any religion, credo, socioeconomics, aptitude, disability, you name it. McCance has demonstrated that he does not believe that every child in his purview is important. That cannot be permitted in any American public school.

October 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  31. david

thank you Anderson for asking the smart questions.

Thankfully, Clilnt will be resigning.

October 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  32. John

This interview hasn't changed my feelings or thoughts on this matter. He did this for self-serving reasons. He's not sorry for the things he said. That is painfully obvious.

October 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  33. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I will give this man some credit for resigning and appearing on AC360.

However, i still believe that his primary motivation is fear from the reaction he received from other people.

I con't think he realized how much negative "blow-back" he received.

October 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  34. Cassie

Did anyone ask him why he posted such comments?

October 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Casey Jones – Palm Springs, CA, "it takes an act of God to get hate speech removed from FB"

Maybe Facebook should be held accountable.

October 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  36. Andy

Great expose' Anderson!

October 28, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Karin

Good evening everyone. I am afraid this man still believes what he originally wrote on his Face Book pace. His answers are prove of it and one has not to read between the lines.

October 28, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  38. Heather in Georgia

Anderson Cooper is awesome!!! I'm so impressed by his ability and willingness to use his position for some good. I have looked forward for the past few weeks to my time spent with Anderson and the attack on the bullies. Thank you for hunting down the bullies and calling them out.

I'm so glad that the Ark. school official resigned before his constituents had to litigate him out.

October 28, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  39. Maureen T., Mississauga, Canada

Great interview Anderson.

October 28, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Bryan

people should not threaten him – that would be like him.

October 28, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  41. Danielle Cantrell

There is no way that my parents would ever disown me for loving someone. I don't see how that could have ever entered his mind - a parent's love should be unconditional. Not only is he teaching his kids that they have to be what he wants for him to love them, he's showing the parents of the students that he disrespects their children. How does someone even get like that?

October 28, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  42. Emily

I hope that people "think" about whatever they post before they just send anything that they are thinking out there. No one but ourselves, censor our thoughts.

October 28, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  43. Brenda

Good evening Anderson, I really like your program.To be honest I am glad this man apologized but the truth is,our society has to learn a lot, has to grow up and practice democracy. And democracy means that people should be able to be what they like to be without been insulted and bullied

October 28, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  44. Heather - Spokane, WA

This man will not stop his views and will not stop using the language he was using.

October 28, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  45. Michele Gano

I know the Bible declares homosexuality to be a sin. But Jesus there are many more references to 'loving each other as I have loved you" and 'whatever you do to the least of my brethren.' How does McCance justify his rantings in light of his alleged Christian faith?

October 28, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  46. jeanne

Also sounds like he's being publicly "remorseful" to stop the threats against he and his family.

October 28, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  47. Michelle

I feel so disgusted that this mindset exists in 2010. It gets BETTER!!

October 28, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I wonder what McCance's definition of a Christian is?

October 28, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  49. Jenny McCormack

I will have serious doubts about McCance's fatherhood... he sounded very abusive in his FB comments, if he shows that behavior in an almost public media, I can't imagine his behavior at home with his family. It is a shame even for the freedom of speech right.

October 28, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  50. Beverly Jankowski

His apology is not credible! He should not be in any position involving children.

October 28, 2010 at 10:18 pm |