October 25th, 2010

O'Donnell Double-Standard: Join the Live Chat

Delaware Republican Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell says she's the victim of a double standard – the victim of sexism. Targeted, she says, because she is a conservative christian woman. Does she have a case or is she actually the one whose been using a double standard? We're Keeping Them Honest.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. John

I wonder how her being a woman would have anything to do with her lack of knowledge on the U.S constitution? It is convenient to try and portray yourself as the victim when (correct me if I am wrong)there hasn't been any sexist remarks or statements linking her ignorance because she is a "conservative christian woman".

October 25, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  2. Nancy in Oregon

'Voter indifference'-I wonder how many of us just get 'Voter burn-out' instead?

October 25, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

My supports to our president Obama and I am also supporting all of the Democrats right now.

October 25, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Russell Hill

O'Donnell is a gambling politician, except she's already showed her hand to the table and she doesn't know what she has. I'm sure she realizes she's beat, but like most politicians, she'll throw out as many cards as she can to earn victimized/sympathy votes. Throwing the sexism/racism (civil rights) card for power is misrepresenting and insulting.

October 25, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  5. DeAnette

Good evening everyone, I've heard that clip about O'Donnell's "Fellowship" as Anderson said it is a 7 day course but it has NOTHING to do with the Constitution what it has to do with is discussing "how the statesmanship & political thought of Lincoln and the Founding Father's should guide policymakers today". It seems to me she needs to get her fact's straight before she say's again that she's a Constitutional Scholar.

October 25, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  6. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Kenya-politics is so bitter. And Heather, I'm with you. What passes for 'debate' is just so junior high school.

October 25, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  7. Emily

Nancy, it really does! I have a feeling that she is going to blame the media, and say that she was not on as many shows, stations, etc. That she was not able to get her message out, and therefore the public was left to think of her as a witch, etc. (that is all they ever really heard from her, and what others said about her)
    Of course, she will be 'a victim' again!

October 25, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Karen, MN

I don't like it when we don't learn anything from a debate. Too many games being played.

October 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Ron from PA

It looks to me like the strategic leaders of the Tea Party told Christine O'Donnell to make this sexism claim to get the media including CNN to focus on this campaign to distract them from focusing on the ones they are worried about like the highly charged Rand Paul campaign.

O'Donnell has almost no chance of winning so why not have her take the fall.

October 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Alex--MD

The lady is grossly unqualified to be a u.s senator.I believe this is a desperate attempt to win some votes and also a candidate laying down an ostensible reason for her potential loss.
    Alex
    MD

October 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Lisa in Louisville

It's a shame that KY is famous for our odd politicians. I still don't know what either Paul or Conway are for, against, or how they will improve the KY economy, education, or the fact that 25% of children in KY live at or below the poverty line.

October 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  12. Beth

I don't know alot about Caprio, we have enough going on here in WI, but it appears that Caprio does not agree with alot of POTUS agenda, so I wonder why POTUS should endorse him? kinda like endorsing a republican?

October 25, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Heather - Spokane, WA

I really can't stand watching politicians' idea of debate as being the finger pointing and saying 'you're the liar'

October 25, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  14. lisal -canada

was wondering about the kentucky debate

well perhaps they didn't really want the national attention so they just made the whole debate as boring as possible – that is kind of funny ... 'nothing to see here folks' – guess they can't extract any wacko quotes from THAT debate!

October 25, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  15. Pat

This is not the first time Ms. O'Donnell has played the victim card to get attention and votes. She claimed before the primary that people from Mike Castle's campaign were following her. She has also claimed that the reporter from the local paper (who is a woman) was unfairly reporting about her. Please spare us from this drama queen!!!

October 25, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I know why Jeff Conway and Rand Paul weren't see each other nor not shake their hands. Wow!

October 25, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  17. Saera El Paso, TX

I think it's perfectly fine for the President to not endorse Caprio. In fact I think I'm pleased he did so. It shows he's not going to just pat every Democrat on the back and say "Well done." It makes it seem like he's going to look at their actions and hold them accountable.

October 25, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Emily

Rand Paul seemed to want to talk the debate somewhere else with that statement. What about now? Not 50+yrs ago...

October 25, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I wouldn't vote for him either with that kind of attitude toward the President!

October 25, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  20. Bonnie of Charlottesville, Virginia

For Christine O'Donnell, "If you can't stand the Grease, get out the kitchen." By the way, please learn the U.S. Constitution. You said your decisions will be based on the Constitution. How so? You don't know it.

October 25, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Jane - WI

Where is the coverage on CNN of the totally unqualified Democratic candidate in South Carolina? Why all the focus on certain Republicans?

October 25, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  22. Kenya

So much bitterness in politics..

October 25, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  23. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I have to say i feel embarrassed by both the candidate Mr. Capro as well as Pres. Obama's behavior in this election in RI.

I agree with Paul, Pres. Obama as the Leader of the Dem. Party,it is highly "unusual" to NOT endorse your own party's candidate?!

Mr. Caprio's comments are on the Outrageous. However, as mentioned by Paul, there may be a "plan" to get Mr. Caprio attention.

October 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  24. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nina,
    Yes!You're right about that, Christine is so embarrassing us throught whole media!

October 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Juan

I think that like alot of aspects of her campaign , she is over reaching. I think she is looking for sympathy in a tough situation and is not relying on the message of her camp to get her the support of voters. When this type of allegation is leveled , it cant be taken seriously unless proof is solid. Plus , ever ytime these types of allegations are made with out proof , it stymies actual sexism allegations.

October 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Sarah in Delaware

Christine O'Donnell is our choice for senator.
    She certainly cannot do any worse than the democrat senators have done. Chris Coons will cost us all a lot of money. Get used to it.
    She most certainly be our next senator from Delaware.

October 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Ron from PA

It's ironic that Christine O'Donnell is making a charge that the Democrats are being sexist to her when she told former opponent to "get his man pants on".

In addition, she, Sarah Palin, Meg Whitman and Sharon Angle have all repeatedly told their Demcratic opponents to "man-up". If that isn't reverse sexism, than I've never heard it.

October 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Emily

It's not positive attention for Caprio, I don't think.

October 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  29. adriano

Why so much attention is given to O'Donnel? Why do we have to watch the political comercials from the Connecticut senate candidates here in NYC? Maybe there's a good reason for it and I don't know .
    thanks

October 25, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Mark Madrak

I don't understand why you're giving so much time to Christine O'Donnell when she's not even in the race. Maybe, she says these silly things because it keeps her on the news channels....and maybe you're taking the bait.

October 25, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Deanna

I don't think ODonnell is a victim of sexism.

October 25, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  32. Emily

Frank Caprio sounds like he was whining there...
    That was very tactful!
    Whether or not the President endorses Caprio or not, the reaction from Caprio was really childish.

October 25, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Spencer

It is an eleventh hour ploy made by O'Donnell and her handlers. She realizes that her strange remarks has placed her in an awkward position and so she is trying to gather sympathy in particular from the women voters. If she can get voters to think she is beig picked on maybe she can receive more votes, but it won't work.

October 25, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Lisa in Louisville

@Kelley – YES!

October 25, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Sue R. Canton MI.

Anderson,,The word "slugfest" that you just used ,,pretty much describes this whole campaign. I guess it's all just politic's as usual. I'd like to hear some of the positive idea's that some of the candidates have to get our country out of the slump we are in.

October 25, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Nina

@Kat Rose October 25th, 2010 10:06 pm ET
    "O'Donnell isn't a victim of sexism. She's a victim of her own ignorance and stupidity."

Love your wit and candor! I could not agree more

October 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Heather - Spokane, WA

Telling the president to 'shove it'? Sounds like someone is a little sour about something......

October 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  38. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Lisal, "can't stand woman who.."
    I couldn't agree more!

October 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I think you are so absolutely right and agree with you, Good point!

October 25, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  40. Emily

I agree Beth.
    O'Donnell has no real arguments/positions to rely on, and is now crying fowl.

October 25, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  41. Michelle Pernula

She's painting herself in a corner. A narcissistic corner.

October 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  42. Kelly, Harrisburg, PA

When women claim sexism and it's not, it makes things harder for other women...

October 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  43. Saera El Paso, TX

O'Donnell sounds strangely reeharshed when you play that reel of clips of her saying "it's the Consitution by which I will..." she even pronounces the "Constitution" almost the exact same way in all the clips con-sti-Tuu-sion

I don't the criticisms aimed at her are sexist or any relation to a double standard... they're just people asking for her to explain herself. This is absolutely necessary when someone is runnig for a public office.

October 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  44. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole, everyone.

Sorry to be late, running behind a bit.

What specifically is candidate O'Donnell referring to that would sexist? Seems like there are some differences in the sort of comeuppance a new candidate receives.

October 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Cessy - Chicago

Hello! and Happy Monday to you all wonderful AC360 fans and staff!
    Hi! Anderson 🙂 How are you?

October 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  46. Nina

Paul... "accidental candidate"? lol I would be more inclined to call her a goof ball?

October 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  47. Alan Seeger

I should point out that tornadoes don't have eyes. You're thinking of hurricanes. There is no calm space at the center of a tornado.

October 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Ashley

She is not being criticized for being female or a Christian. She is being criticized for being too conservative with her stances, uninformed about policy and unethical in her past financial dealings. Those are fair points of criticism.

October 25, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, doubtless true, Emily. And if that doesn't work, then what, I wonder? Does a person like this just search madly for another accusation to throw out and try? It certainly shows a lot about who she is...

October 25, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Mike, St. Louis

A failing campaign is just resorting to throwing different bait out there, just hoping for a bite. If she can't defend herself, then she's going to make the argument that she doesn't NEED to defend herself because the criticisms of her are illegitimate. Please.

October 25, 2010 at 10:13 pm |