October 20th, 2010

Controlling the Political Message: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, they want your vote but they don't want the accountability that comes with earning your trust. Politicians dodging reporters. One even had his security team put a reporter in handcuffs. We're keeping them honest. Plus, a one-on-one exclusive interview with Yoko Ono. She talks about the day John Lennon was killed and the man convicted of the murder.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nancy in Oregon

It's so hard to realize it was 2001...and that was so long ago now! Poor family. What a strung- out grief it must be.

October 20, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  2. Libby

Karen in MN, I thought that they did have a suspect in custody?

October 20, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  3. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Say no more, we know what that means!

October 20, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  4. Emily

@Karen,
    I wonder if it will ever be solved?

October 20, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  5. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

DADT, banning gay marriage – when will the USA arive in the 21th century?

October 20, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Helen

The media destroyed this congressman career without proof. Although he was wrong to have an affair.

October 20, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  7. Paula, Colorado

I hope there will be some justice for Chandra Levy.

October 20, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Karen, MN

Hard to believe that Chandra Levy murder was 9 years ago and still not solved.

October 20, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  9. rose boylston

kudoos anderson for asking the tough questions about the NAACP motivation and integrity of the report writers. I am more of a fox watcher (oops!) but I try to catch your show because u seem fair and balanced in your investigations.

October 20, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Emily

Can you all believe that it's almost been a decade since Chandra Levy went missing?

October 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  11. David, Indiana

@Karen It was nice to see that I had a surprisingly nice Wednesday.

It is fair for the NAACP to call the Tea Party on what's going on in groups that are part of the Tea Party. The closeness to the election can undermine the pt. The Tea Party as an organization is not as established as the two major political parties. So the comparison to Democratic candidates talking about taking back the country is not strictly analogous.

October 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

"DADT back in effect, gay marriage is not legal....what does America have against gay people?"

@Heather...we're a threat to ignorance and insecurity.

October 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  13. Libby

If Don't Ask, Don't Tell does wind up at the Supreme Court.. I wonder if we'll see yet another 5-4 outcome? :/

October 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  14. Emily

@Heather
    "what does America have against gay people?"
    Perhaps it's just people getting to use to "change"? For some, it takes even longer.

October 20, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  15. Kevin

well I guess there goes my husbands dream of returning to the military...at least until the back and forth is over and they decide we are citizens...I am glad I am not in AZ the governor might try to deport us..LOL

October 20, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Seamus

Politicians are only using their shunning of the media to hide their own personal or political bones in the closet. We need transparency in politics these days. They shouldn't be able to hide behind an iron curtain of silence and seclusion from the media.

October 20, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    That was my favorite musican Beatles including John Lennon, I can't wait see you interview Yoko Ono....... She is so amazing woman I love her so much....... I can remember that time he was shot by shooter his apartment.

October 20, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  18. Janis

Good interview with Yoko Ono. Very human and revealing of a good woman.

October 20, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Dianne

The NAACP is trying to be politicaly correct.

October 20, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  20. Nicole The Netherlands

As an outsider looking in..
    I do think racist groups see the Tea party as an opportunity to spread their word..
    It is up to the people who represent the tea party to say you are or you are not welcome..
    The lack of transparancy in the tea party, not wanting to speak to most media, keeps that hanging above them.. The racist thing...

My compliments on "The take our country back"
    comparison in pictures.
    That's honest!

October 20, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  21. Heather - Spokane, WA

October 20, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Emily

I think that The Supreme Court is going to have to have the final word & overturn Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

October 20, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  23. Derek

I'm a strong supporter of the OTHER cable news channel and just watched your program for the first time. I am very impressed with the objectivity with which Anderson addressed the NCAAP report. The head of the NCAAP has never been on a hotter seat. Again, very impressed indeed. Thank you.

October 20, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  24. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Nancy, Oregon

I really appreciated your post on "take back our country"...which version.

I yearn for civility in our elections, but especially in governing.
    Our country is in tremendous need of politicians, citizens and corporations that who can help turn the country around to a more positive direction.

October 20, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  25. Libby

@Emily ~ You're right. When the tea party initially started, it seemed as though they were a mix of Americans from all political spectrum's. Wow – not any longer. They seemed to have become an extreme far-to-the-right fringe group. :O

October 20, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  26. Jonathan

AC just demonstrated why he is a superb host. A brilliant interview with the President of the NCAAP. I love the common sense approach to the issue that AC laid out!

October 20, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  27. Billy

Anderson– It is refreshing to see some objectivity utilized by members of the "main stream" press. I was impressed with your interview about the NAACP report. Regardless of what side one is on your questioning was hard hitting and reminded what good journalism is supposed to be. I haven't seen it in so long I had forgotten. Keep up the good work.

October 20, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  28. Paula, Colorado

Your interview with Yoko Ono is refreshing–I'm looking forward to the second part tonight.

October 20, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  29. Emily

@Gloria,
    I wonder of the confusion is because they (Tea Party), doesn't have just one leader and all these different spokespeople instead?

October 20, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Sue R. Canton MI.

The way I understand it,,the Tea Party started out as a group made up of people who were tired of big government. But it seems to me that it's turned out to be a group thats stirring up so much controversy and division in our country.

October 20, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  31. Nina

@Nancy in Oregon October 20th, 2010 10:23 pm ET
    'Take back the country' does really throw me....who is taking back which version of country?

Well stated. I assume its about being a Cheer leader at this point and gaining points with Angry Americans.

October 20, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  32. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Janis. I too think there is an undercurrent there. It's sad, but I think it's true.

October 20, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  33. Casey Jones - Palm Springs, CA

Tea Partiers appear to be little more than a mob of bitter people who rely on media sound bites as "reported" from people who they socially identify with.

October 20, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  34. Helen

Not everyone in the tea party is racist, however my friend met some nasty ones couple of month ago, they said horrible things at the private rally she attended to. She quit after that and decided not to vote this election. She is a hardcore republican but she told me she cannot vote for the candidate they presented to her. I am not sure about voting myself. This is too crazy for me.

October 20, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  35. Kevin

The tea party doesn't like who is in the Whitehouse. They have said it repeatedly and I am sorry but that is racism.

October 20, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  36. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Heather...racist or something-else-ist. Sadly every group (and every person, probably) is some kind of 'ist' or ascribes to an 'ism'. We all have our biases and slants, in other words. Wish it were not true, but I think it is.

October 20, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  37. Kyle

Quick question: why is debt a black in America problem? CNN's title seems to imply that white people aren't struggling with debt.

October 20, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  38. Lori

Two years is a long time to go without making a payment on your house. Most people go six or eight monthes and they are in foreclosure.

October 20, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  39. Libby

I love Solidad O'Brien's special reports. She does a great job on them! 😀

October 20, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  40. Nina

Excellent interview Anderson... always focused on the truth! Thank You

October 20, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  41. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The Tea Party is a breathing ground for all kind of believer or unbeliever. I don't think the Tea Party knows what the Tea Party is all about.

October 20, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  42. Emily

@Libby,
    Well, if it is Sarah Palin, then that would explain why it's not the same that it once was.

October 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  43. Sharon Hastings

Of course the NAACP report is about politics. I do understand some of their complaints, but better to just denounce some of the specific behaviors and not the whole Tea Party movement.

October 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  44. Pedro

But he's an award winner! Who cares if he's biased?!

October 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  45. Colleen

This is like watching a car crash....so hard to see, but I can't look away. What an amazing job, Anderson.

October 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  46. Jacqueline, NY

The answer to that question, Anderson is from whom the speaker is stating the country must be saved.

October 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  47. Heather - Spokane, WA

We all know the Tea Party is racist but it also does not mean that other groups can be racist too

October 20, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  48. carla

okay how many minorities are in the tea party

October 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Janis

I hate to say this, but their is a very, very subtle undercurrent of racism going on. It's just a sense I have. It's like they are very mad about the presidential election. It's like the country could be in a little denial here saying it's not there.

October 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  50. Lori

I do not think the tea party has a leader.

October 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm |