October 20th, 2010

Controlling the Political Message: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, they want your vote but they don't want the accountability that comes with earning your trust. Politicians dodging reporters. One even had his security team put a reporter in handcuffs. We're keeping them honest. Plus, a one-on-one exclusive interview with Yoko Ono. She talks about the day John Lennon was killed and the man convicted of the murder.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Wil

in the case of the Joe Miller campaign in Alaska, I think more attention needs to be made of the active duty military serving as "security guards" in his campaign. I think there's a violation of the "posse comitatus act" where the military performs police duties in violation of civil authority. Also with that Alaska militia group, is one of the active duty military supplying that mlilitia group with supplies...are these supllies for active duty personnel?

October 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  2. David

The tea party supports racists, bigots and nationalists who want to turn this country into a hitler like regime

October 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  3. Karin Urban from Berlin/Germany

Taking the country back? – From whom, from what?

October 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  4. jOE

If you are mature, well qualified and meet the high standards we should require for being in charge of running this country. you should have nothing to fear from any press establishment. Our granparents would loose their mind if they say how things are today.
    This election is more like High school prom queen elections than for national government.

October 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  5. carla

where are they taking our country from and to.

October 20, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  6. Lori

Those words are worn out. Thanks for asking tough questions. It's important.

October 20, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  7. Nancy in Oregon

'Take back the country' does really throw me....who is taking back which version of country?

October 20, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  8. Joshua

The Koch brothers have donated over 100 million to Tea Party causes. The Koch brothers political agenda seem to be playing a large role in the politicians and ideals being put forth by the Tea Party. Why is this not part of the discussion?

October 20, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  9. Kevin

@Nancy – I agree, you have to be objective. If you want to be taken seriously you have to make sure its from a credible source.

And if he thinks Anderson doesn't check his facts he is crazy.

October 20, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  10. Dianne

I am sorry that they are just now comming out with the Tea party are racist just another name for the KKK.

October 20, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Emily

That was a great question by Anderson and it was not even answered!
    It left him speechless for a moment, until he could get back on his "talking points".

October 20, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  12. Libby

Emily ~ that's a good question. :-/ Who is the leader of the tea party? I guess the two most prominent ones would be Sarah Palin and Dick Armey. I'm just guessing though..

October 20, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  13. Starr, formerly known as vincent

There may well be an agenda by NAACP, but their information is important.

It is important that All potential voters have as much information as possible about Any candidate.

However, i can't deny the most excellent questions that Anderson is asking.

October 20, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
    I think it is Sarah Palin or Michael Steele.

October 20, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  15. vic , nashville tn

Tea party racism partly true
    one stage tea party was out of control many Politicians use that moment to inject their view to win the election now tea party look like anti minorities party

October 20, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  16. Nancy in Oregon

So am I, Nina....but in fairness, I must therefore also be equally delighted to have the truth about anyone come out....even a group or a person I admire. Sometimes it's much easier to be happier about one set of revelations than about another!

October 20, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  17. Reza, CA

What are these candidates thinking? Don't they realize people have the right to know? I hope they pay the price come Nov.2

October 20, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Kaytee

I don't need an organization to tell me the Tea Party is racist. Racism is dripping off of them.

October 20, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  19. Heyward

The Tea Party is racist and no one can deny that with a straight face. That's a fact.

October 20, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  20. Jeff

I believe these people will do anything to "take the power back." Militias, a Tea Party "civilized" front, etc. Almost every accusation they've made could very well be applied to them although they try to use their own guilt against someone else.

October 20, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  21. Gary

A free press is essential to a robust democracy, as the independent and unofficial part of our democracy. Anderson Cooper is a master in the pursuit of a forceful "Forth Estate" Thank you, Anderson.

October 20, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  22. Heather - Spokane, WA

Just because the guy won a McArthur award does not mean he is untouchable

October 20, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  23. carla

that sounds racist...but so do the tea party....i'm just sayin'

October 20, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  24. Libby

Scott, the reporter who was handcuffed has not pressed charges.. at least at this point. I wouldn't say he was "kidnapped". The Anchorage Police arrived to the scene and told him he was free to go, and that the charges Miller's security guards pressed on him would not stand.

October 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Nancy in Oregon

I agree, Anderson. The persons who DO the studies must definitely be objective to be credible.

October 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  26. Omar

I can't believe a reporter doing his job was handcuffed by Mr. Miller's campaign "security". With the current political environment being so venomous, I am genuinely concerned for the future of our country.

October 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Lori

They did not want an unbiased answer.

October 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  28. Emily

Who is the Leader of the Tea Party?
    They don't seem to be as organized as they were in the beginning.

October 20, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Nina

I am delighted to see that the truth about some of the Tea party members are coming out.

October 20, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  30. Jon

Its my belief and also the morals i was raised with that the people who you hire are a extention of you and that you are resposable for there actions . Watching tonight i saw reporters ,granted not always like by the mass majority where assulted by security hired by politicians , and should press charges holding the one who hired them responsable.

October 20, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I wish I want Tea Party stop racism against Democrats....... I would never vote Tea Party right now.

October 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  32. David, Indiana

Good evening Anderson, Isabel, Emily, Starr, Megan, Sree, Nicole, everyone.

Did the reporter in Alaska do something to get the attention of Joe Miller's private security? Some jostling among the press is not all that unusual.

Some candidates won't go into personal questions, that's not unusual.

Alex's pt that candidates have to reach across the aisle is important. I do think it's odd that candidates avoid media outlets, though often politicians delay comment.

October 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Jacqueline, NY

@Janis

No, you can't "let" the media be your eyes and ears. Not all in the media deliver the truth. Much of it is slanted. It has always been that way. You must be concerned enough to seek out truth for yourself and compare various sources instead of just believing everything you hear and read.

October 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  34. Perry

It is clear the security guards are violating the law of "false arrest" and "false imprisonment" in addition the first amendment rights of the reporter. Big bucks!. In addition, the Company Commander should courtmartial those servicemen involved in political activities.

October 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  35. Janis

If they treat the media this way, I wonder what it will be like when they meet the "brick walls" in congress? I believe, diplomacy, flexibility, compromise, good humor, love of country and doing what's best for your constituency makes a good politician. Put these people in the context of that description. It doesn't seem to work too well.

October 20, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  36. Emily

@Kaytee,
    "I can't believe anyone would vote for candidates that will not talk to the media."
    I can't either. I think that these candidates look really bad when they are ignoring the cameras and that speaks volumes for them. I wonder if that is changing the minds of many?

October 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  37. Kaytee

@ Nancy in Oregon:
    Yeah, I can see them sidestepping a few venues, but to try and keep media away from public events where they are speaking is just ridiculous.

October 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  38. Nancy in Oregon

I think I must have a little different 'take' on the media's role, Janis. I don't think of them as watchdogs myself (I don't trust watch dogs, personally. Like guard dogs, I think they can let meanness and power run away with themselves!) I think of the media as ideally being able to illuminate and educate....which would imply, to me, a very objective and non-condemning ( or non-supporting) stance.

October 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Charity Louisville, KY

Good Evening. Hopefully we won't experience the campaign tactics of Kentucky politicians tonight.

October 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  40. jOE

can someone tell me.. isnt it illegal to physically restrain someone like that??

October 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  41. Deanna

I think that politicians should not avoid the reporters.

October 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  42. David

I believe politicians who dodge reporters are not trust worthy. The voter deserve to know the truth and if u cant answer our questions you shouldn't be in office

October 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  43. Scott

Why wasn't the folks who hadcuffed the guy, arrested for kidnaping?

October 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Paula, Colorado

The candidates may be somewhat afraid of saying the wrong thing, but they are too arrogant in their outright refusal of the media.

October 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Libby

I don't think Alaskans are taking kindly to Miller ignoring the media. Even his own party is asking him to stop his silence. 40 top Republicans here came out urging Miller to start talking to the media. It's been the TOP story on our newspaper website, Anchorage Daily News, all day and is still there now.

October 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Jane - WI

So we will be hearing from the head of the NAACP about so called "racism" by the Tea Party. Will we be hearing from a guest who disputes these accusations?

October 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Liz from MI

This is very disturbing. Before you could barely get a straight answer from a politician, now you can't for sure..spin only, and shame on you if you try and question either views or actions....and those 'security' people are frightening – they could be any psycho just saying they have the authority to act – oh wait, that's exactly what they are.

October 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  48. carla

can't the security firm that mr.miller hired get charged for putting that guy in handcuffs...talking about violating people's rights....

October 20, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Dee Pisciella, Virginia

If your campaigning on the "accountability" issue, then why wouldn't you be able to answer any question about anything to show us you are the best candidate? I'm an independent. If I don't know what you personally stand for, I will not vote for you. So, go ahead and talk to the reporters. Cantor should debate too. I'm not clear, book or no book, what he actually stands for. I only know what he's against. This is the worst year so far in my old life that I've had sorting out candidates. I don't want to know what the problem is, I want to know what YOUR solution is. Sheesh!

October 20, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  50. Kaytee

I can't believe anyone would vote for candidates that will not talk to the media. They are afraid of coming out looking like Sarah Palin.

October 20, 2010 at 10:13 pm |