October 14th, 2010

Evening Buzz: Keeping them Honest on the Campaign Trail

Maureen Miller
AC360° Writer

Tonight on 360°, we're keeping them honest on the campaign trail. You may recall Sharron Angle, Nevada's Republican Senate candidate, claimed two towns in America are adopting Islamic Sharia law. But it's not true. Hear where she says she got the idea.

Plus, new developments on the 33 miners rescued in Chile. Several are expected to leave the hospital tonight. Many of them are also talking about what they faced while trapped 2,300 feet underground for more than two months.

In Crime & Punishment, there’s a wild new twist in the reported murder of David Hartley. His wife says he was shot to death by pirates on the Mexican side of Falcon Lake. Could it all have been a case of mistaken identity? We'll check in with CNN's Ed Lavandera in Texas.

Also on our radar, the new steps in the JonBenet Ramsey murder investigation. It's been nearly 14 years since the 6-year-old pageant queen was found beaten and strangled to death in the basement of her family's Colorado home. Police have contacted her brother, Burke. We'll tell you why.

Join us for these stories and much more starting at 10 p.m. ET. See you then.

Filed under: Maureen Miller • The Buzz
  1. Mary

Hey Anderson.. Loved the show tonight. Is unbelievable how much these candidates lie nowadays. Its just sad to realize that most of these candidates running are liars. Do we, the people want liars occupying the seats in Congress? Sharon Angle.. I'm sure she used that line which was a lie just to catch more attention. Christine O'Donnell is another one accused of lying about her education. This is crazy from her part. Do they avoid coming to your show because they're afraid to show their colors? Interesting.

October 14, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  2. Paula Z.

I live in nevada and this race has gotten crazy, I have one essential comment I have lived here for over 25 yrs. and over the past 5 we have had the largest housing building boom and the largest amount of people moving to our city, so really the largest foreclosure rate and unemployment rate was inevitable. and any of our politicans are not totally to blame.

October 14, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  3. johmn jeffrs sr/77years old

that girl who wants to be a senator is a nut ,iwould not vote for her but can,t help feeling sorry that she can,t answer the questions ,,,too bad

October 14, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  4. Linda

As residents of Nevada we watched the debate between Sharon Angle and Harry Reid. Harry definitely showed a thoughtful and informed response to the various questions. Sharon sounded like a bad rewind of one of her anti-Reid commercials. It is shocking to us that our local news station thought that Sharon won the debate.

October 14, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
  5. Ginny Keenan

I am a senior who lives in Reno, Nevada. I just listened to the debate and welcomed the prospective of David and Eliot following the debate. I was a Republican all of my life until Obama.....I couldn't stand the thought of another Republican in the White House after Bush!!!!! I appreciated David and Eliots' comments about what Sharon Angle and the New Republican Party want.....they want to eliminate all public programs....how scarey it will be if Sharon and others of her kind win the Senate.....my husband and I live on VA benefits (he is a retired officer), Social Security and Medicare. If the government did not handle all of these programs for us and we were in control of all of the money ourselves, chances are more than half of us would be out in the street because they had squandered their share!!!

Good show Harry Reid....you have my vote~

Ginny Keenan

PS - one reason the race looks so tight is because Reno is full of conservative seniors who have nothing else to do all day but answer questions by marketing groups on who they will vote for......democrats don't take the time!!!!!!

October 14, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  6. Valery Nechay

Anderson, I admire your passion and determination. As a University of California Student, studying politics, sociology, and our legal system, I have a very fearful, cynical, and narrow perception of the situation at hand I saw a bumper sticker that intrigued me today, it read " Annoy a conservative, think for yourself." Most people are so misinformed about the actual events and issues surrounding health care and taxes, that if they even took the time to read from various academic journals from economists, sociologists and other intellectuals as well as a variety of forces(and not just FOX news), it would be more then clear what is going on, and how to improve and move on. We are cutting essential public services that are vital to a functioning society, in the name of tax cuts for the wealthy- we are incarcerating more and more people minorities when our crime rate is the lowest it has ever been ? how does our society not understand that this is a function of the inefficient public education system we have that REPUBLICANS are proposing to diminish more. Obama is the scapegoat for years of corporate misuse and deregulation policies that put us in the economic disaster we are in today. In addition, Obama is PROMOTING tax cuts for the middle class, and those people that are ushering through the crowds brashly and foolishly supporting the extremist republicans, have no idea that they are no where close to the tax bracket of the 2% of people- the extremely affluent that do NOT stimulate the economy. This is also becoming a culture war in so many ways- they are contradicting themselves because they do not want to accept a responsibility for public services , but they dont want to cut social security, police, and libraries. They want less regulation and yet they want to impose their religious beliefs on to what should be happening in our bedrooms.. i.e. DADT. We are in an increasingly apathetic society, where the intellectuals that are suffering the most in the middle class have given up a long time ago, as their voices are muffled by the flamboyant, yelling tea partier.

October 14, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Patti

sSharon Angle makes Sarah Palin look like a Rhodes Scholar. Like Harry Reid or not, and granted, he is not the most dynamic personality out there – but Sharon Angle is just frightening. Just the fact that she will not talk to reporters who do not agree with her should tell you something. I watched the debate and she had many things either blatantly wrong, or so incorrect it made my head hurt; people who agree with her must not take the time to investigate anything she says. I guess she bases her information on emails or blogs, and a good example was the city of Dearborn and her radical accussation of Dearborn being Sharai law because she read it somewhere. She is just an absolute, incompetent wing-nut who wants to set Nevada and this country back years and years. God help us all. Women especially should be aZfraid – be VERY afraid.

October 14, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  8. sam

I shouldn't be surprised that your conservative guest shook her head repeatedly while it was said that the right's only verbalized agenda has been to cut medicare, kill minimum wage, etc but I have to admit I was surprised that neither you, or more importantly, Spitzaer did not call her on it. After all, it was right on Spitzer's show that Dick Armey SAID those very things, as have many of the gop/tea party candidates. This atmosphere of deny the truth and spread the lies, anything at any cost to win an election, will be the ruination of this country. And we won't have to wait until the next generation to see it happen, it will happen before our very eyes in a few weeks...

October 14, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  9. Brandon

Why do many conservatives go after the money or other private information as if embracing privacy is admitting guilt or somehow shady (Park51 project, or President Obama's birth certificate), but get so defensive with the shoe on other foot?

October 14, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
  10. Annie Kate

So the Colorado police are going back to JonBenet's brother? I thought that the theory of him being involved in her murder had been discounted long ago. I hope he wasn't involved – it is devastating to lose one child – but then to find out you are going to lose another because he/she was involved is just beyond imagining to me.

Looking forward to hearing about the miners tonight. I hope they are all doing well and are enjoying being out and with their families.

October 14, 2010 at 10:03 pm |