October 14th, 2010

Day One of Freedom for Rescued Miners: Join the Live Chat

We have new information from the hospital where the 33 rescued miners are being checked out. There's remarkable progress to report. Plus, why the body of David Hartley may never be recovered after he was reportedly shot and killed on a lake along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

Is Tiffany Hartley co-operating with the investigators? Last I heard, she refused to take a lie detector test.

October 14, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Nancy in Oregon

Mistaken identity has happened before, that's for sure....everything from 'friendly fire' sorts of scenarios to kids wrongly targeted by gangs.

October 14, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  3. Yaile

It is a very scarey thought that what is happening in Mexico is moving to the US fast

October 14, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  4. Monroe

Good Evening Anderson, I say for all the miners that it was a miricle that they stay together and able to make it out alive so I am thinking that after 6 months they should be back to normal...

October 14, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Emily

@Nina
    "Hopefully any psychological trauma will diminish quickly."
    I have a feeling that is what is really a concern.

October 14, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  6. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Janis

I'm Independent too, and i know how you feel about not knowing who to trust.

For the incumbant's you can look at their voting record, but the new ones, well that's another question.

October 14, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  7. Nancy in Oregon

I was wondering about the cage too, Libby....hopefully they will have lots to use from this whole accident and rescue for future scenarios. The capsule could be a prototype.

October 14, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  8. Libby

Gloria.. you're right. He did kinda look around to see which one showed up. LOL!

October 14, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  9. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

@ Shanny
    I agree with you regarding the miner's mistress. However, the racy side always seems to crop up at the wrong time. That knowledge should have been downplayed so to not take away from the wonderful happenings of the day.

October 14, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Heather - Spokane, WA

That is pretty sad that Richard Heney was brough back yp after a good long while that we hadn't heard about him

October 14, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  11. Kenya

Balloons...lol

October 14, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  12. Libby

I bet they saved the specially-built cage they sent down there so they can put it in a museum somewhere.. :o)

October 14, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  13. Janis

Looks like aluminum confetti.

October 14, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
  14. Lori

I do not see the lights.

October 14, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Yaile

It is a happy ending for these miners. Thank god for their safety. This is the type of news we should see more of

October 14, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Nina

I am so delighted that the miners are all healthy. Hopefully any psychological trauma will diminish quickly.

October 14, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  17. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

He did not appear to be to happy to see the girlfriend there to me.

October 14, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  18. Sue R. Canton MI.

Such an amazing couple of days,,Watching the world unite watching the historical rescue of these brave men. Hope that they get the rest that they so much deserve. I'm sure that tuna won't be on their menu for a while.

October 14, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  19. Heather - Spokane, WA

I imagine the miner who had the girlfriend and the wife was not really looking forward to going back up to his mess

October 14, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Hurray for the miners! i'm still enjoying that story.

Active betting?? Anyone's guess who he will return to.
    Great report from Gary Tuchman

October 14, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Nancy in Oregon

At least the miners can go on with their lives, even those parts that are a bit complicated!

October 14, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Shanny

Thank-you Tuckman! Soap Opera Digest is where that story belongs. Not on a legitimate news show.

October 14, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  23. Emily

This is a great update from Gary Tuchman.

October 14, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  24. Nina

I am so delighted that the miners are all healthy. Also wondering who that one special miner went home with? Girlfriend or wife?

October 14, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  25. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

3 miners released from hospital to meet their families reunion!!!!!! Awwwww!!! That's great news for me, Yes!

October 14, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I hope Gary got some rest. He deserved it!

October 14, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  27. Nancy in Oregon

And Jo Ann, why (if she can't remember anything more than that about her 'source' of information) did she put it out there as if it was a fact?

October 14, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  28. Kenya

Great to see the miners doing well.

October 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  29. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I heard that the skin problems and dental problems were because of them being in the mines and some of the miners had to have dental operations.

October 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  30. Janis

I am an independent voter and I'm finding it harder to sift through candidate information to find who to vote for. Candidates are difficult to trust at times.

October 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  31. Libby

The miner's story is so awesome. Loved it when "Super Mario" came out! What a personality! :O)

October 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  32. Nancy in Oregon

Libby, I suspect they want to turn more than the nation back in time, politically. I suspect they yearn in all sorts of ways for times that are gone...maybe even childhood. As a group, there seems to be a lot of backwards-yearning and anger that life has changed.

October 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  33. Lori

I feel so sorry for the 63-year old.

October 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  34. Jacqueline, NY

I wonder if he'll be sharing his new money with his wife.

October 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  35. Lori

The miners look very healthy.

October 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  36. Emily

What a fantastic photo! 😀

October 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  37. Shawn reno,nv

After watching this im shocked. Angle seemed nervous and unsure of her statements.

Reid spoke well although his track record isnt exactly perfect.

I think were stuck in a lesser of two evils here (which happens a lot).

i think people need to make up there minds, but if the only thing you've seen is this debate, it seemed pretty obvious who won and might sway some voters.

October 14, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Nancy in Oregon, "IF she read it somewhere (other than a speech script) it was probably something about that reliable."

If I would have interviewed her I would have asked her point blank where she read it and why does she believe that it is true.

October 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  39. nalini

Goodnight Anderson and everyone,
    Muslims themselves have different interpretations of Shariah Law, as there are different schools of thought, as adhered to by fundamentalists or traditionalists. Also this varies in different countries. Therefore I rather doubt Miss Angle knows, especially since she "read something".
    Maybe if she at least knew what the something was, even she might understand what she is trying to say.
    Thank you.

October 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Eliot Spitzer and David Gergen are right, We don't need Sharon Angle to vote..... Me either, I never vote republican at all.

October 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Emily

@Starr,
    "maybe they're talking to their local media?"
    Sounds like they are not talking with anyone that doesn't agree with them or that will challenge any of their statements. They have a chance to come on National media. Why pass that up, if you have nothing to hide?

October 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  42. Brandon

The campaign of the republicans negative attacks is being ate up by frustrated, jobless, Americans. If only more people would've taken seasonable labor jobs offered instead of just bashing the administration.

October 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  43. Libby

You're right Sharon that Palin is telling tea party candidates to avoid the media. The tea party candidate here in Alaska is following her advice & it seems to be backfiring. Betcha anything Lisa Murkowski is the first successful write-in candidate since Strom Thurmond! :-O

October 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  44. Shanny

I don't think the story about the miner who was greeted by his mistress should be news worthy. Of all the things that could be talked about from that event, further embarrassing him, his poor wife and all of their families is nothing but sensationalizing others pain.

October 14, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  45. Emily

@Jo Ann,
    "She didn't even say WHERE she read it."
    I noticed that, too. I also could not help but notice how she was playing with her hands, and twiddling her thumbs! Pretty bad body language.

October 14, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  46. Starr, formerly known as vincent

!@Emily

I agree with you about almost all of the candidates running from the press. However, these are local elections, maybe they're talking to their local media?

October 14, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Heather - Spokane, WA

@Shanny, I totally agree!

October 14, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  48. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

I don't know about anyone else, but I want the facts and I want these politicians to be able to support what they say and admit it when they are wrong.

October 14, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  49. Nancy in Oregon

That's just it, Jo Ann. IF she read it somewhere (other than a speech script) it was probably something about that reliable. Yet she had no qualms about taking it forward as 'truth'. Oh gosh, don't know why I react to these things anymore....they are so common.

October 14, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
  50. Heather - Spokane, WA

I am an independant and I am turned off by the nasty campaigns. I will vote for the adult in the race ot the child. If both are children then I usually do a write in

October 14, 2010 at 10:12 pm |