October 13th, 2010

Cheers & Tears in Chile: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, Chile's Camp Hope is living up to its name, and then some. Call it: Camp Success. All 33 miners are out.  Six rescue workers still need to be brought to the surface. We'll bring you live coverage from San Jose Mine where there have been a lot of cheers and happy tears over the past 22 hours.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It looks like the blog is continuing tonight. I know I will be staying up for the continuing coverage.

I wonder if they will put that capsule in a museum in Chile as a reminder of what happened there?

October 13, 2010 at 11:06 pm |
  2. Carol Mazzola

Yea for Chile.. Yea for the part the U.S. had in the rescue...God Bless all of them.. God is good all the time...Love and Peace to all..Carol Tx

October 13, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
  3. Emily

It's not going to be easy for all these men to re-adjust to their lives...their health and all the attention that they will be getting.

October 13, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
  4. cecelia m. carmelo

Anderson, the last miner is up & out! It is sad that it takes 33 miners or a baby jessica that brings the world together 🙁

October 13, 2010 at 11:04 pm |
  5. brad

man thats amnzing

October 13, 2010 at 11:04 pm |
  6. Terri

I do believe in miracles. I have witnessed thirty-three today. God bless the rescue workers who went into that mine to assist those who had been trapped for so long. Four are back on land and one more on the way up...one more to go. I know God will be with him as he has been with all the others. Yes, I do believe!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:04 pm |
  7. Sherry

Who's going to turn the lights out down there?

October 13, 2010 at 11:03 pm |
  8. Trish

Do we have the rescuer's names? I realize they were not trapped for 69 days, but they are extremely brave and did risk their lives to save their fellow man. I'd like to honor them by name, not "5th rescue worker."

October 13, 2010 at 11:03 pm |
  9. barry burns

Hey, Anderson.

Always love watching your coverage.

I'm very interested to know something about the mine rescuers who, presumably, volunteered to go below and man that hole till the world saw all the heroic Chilean miners saved.

I'd love to know about them and their code.

Thanks for all you do.

Barry Burns
    NIagara on the Lake, Canada.

October 13, 2010 at 11:03 pm |
  10. julia

I wondered the same thing Marcelo (about closing the doore for the last one).I simply couldn't turn away all night & day. What a wonderful accomplishment. Thank God, they're seemingly well.

October 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  11. Anntoinette

Have stayed up all night watching the rescue. Eyes filled with tears more than once. The question is how has this been such a successful event! Simply put, God extended a guiding hand and politics had no hand... Mankind stepped forward from varies countries to help their brother in need. We can all learn from this experience as it continues to unfold for the good.

October 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  12. Janis

Good night everyone. Good night, Chile. You have shown the world what humanity really is.

October 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  13. Emily

On the edge of my seat waiting for the last man to be back up.

October 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  14. Melissa

The ability to watch the rescue of the miners in Chili in real time is amazing. I have been glued to the television or CNN on Sirrus radio since last night. It is amazing how this rescue mission went so flawlessly and I am happy for all the families and the miners finally being reunited. Well done Chili!!!!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  15. Neha

Kudos for rescuing the workers. Have been following the story on CNN since late yesterday (India Time). Hope this sets a precedent on how such incidents can be further avoided in future anywhere in the world.

October 13, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  16. Nancy in Oregon

Goodnight, Starr. I won't be up as late as last night either! Janis, I so hope that is the case. I'm not sure it will be. The aftermath may not be as inspiring, I think!

October 13, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
  17. David, Indiana

Well said by Karl Penhaul that these men were called on to do something amazing.

I think the the best think is seeing the reuniting with their families and loved ones. I'm glad that they are receiving offers of employment and so forth. I think after the ordeal of being in the mine that is definitely a reassurance, but actually seeing the ones they love and getting to be with them is the most important thing.

Is the liveblog continuing?

October 13, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  18. amber

I like how one of the miners rescued was named Dr. House.

October 13, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  19. Julius Sekle Jr

"God is wonderful. believe it or not, we have just witness God miracle. all 33 miners are successfully rescued. goodnight."

October 13, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  20. Emily

Nancy, I bet that the follow-ups will be very interesting and just as up lifting.

October 13, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  21. Jo

The most profound statement by one of the Chilean miners-"there was not 33 of us down there, there were 34 – GOD was with us". No doubt!

October 13, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  22. steve

A miracle happened and Iam glad I witnessed it

October 13, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  23. Lucy

I am so happy for all in Chile. I was wondering though, where was a priest? In a Roman Catholic country, I would have thought a priest would have gone down or at least been at the surface.

October 13, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  24. Soledad Gomez

Have a Blessed night everyone!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  25. Conly

Thank God for this amazing story!

October 13, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  26. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Good night Anderson, Gary, and Karl, and bloggers Emily, Mike, Nancy in Oregon, Starr, Nicole, and David,

October 13, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  27. Sue bennett

Praise God. This has be one miracle after another! Wow it's almost over.

October 13, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  28. Debby R

This is nothing short of a miracle. First, finding all 33 alive. Second, bringing all of them up with no visible major injuries. God is good-all the time.

October 13, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  29. Emily

Has the last rescue work been back up yet?

October 13, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  30. Nancy in Oregon

I can't imagine it either, Melissa. I've wondered how that would be. Doubtless this rescuer is not a person given to letting his emotions run amuck though so he is probably handling it much better than I would!

October 13, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  31. Jason

I have a question Anderson. Are they going to seal off that drilled hole that they brought the miners up in and if so, how are they going to do it and will it be televised?

October 13, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  32. Jennifer

CNN had, by far, the best coverage. I have been sleep deprived for 24 hours now since I can not turn it off! Seeing all of these people work together, to save their fellow human being has given me reassurance and faith in human kind!

October 13, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  33. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Thankyou Anderson & Team 360 for two of the best shows last night and tonight.
    It is only fitting that the rescue started on your program and ended on your program too.

Good night ALL – tremendous blog!

@Nancy, thanks for your remarks and my thoughts andprayers toyou and Mandy.

May everyone have a safe and peaceful day tomorrow!

October 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  34. Tony

All alone in that hole. Yikes. He's strong and prepared, but that's like the Command Module pilot on the other side of the moon when the other guys are on the surface.

Whole world watching...all alone for 20 minutes.

I want to talk to that guy.

October 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  35. Debbie Newark DE

To Marcelo – I agree I've been asking myself that all day. What about the last man and the door.

October 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  36. Nick

It's ok if you believe that this was a miracle of god, but credit should be given where it is due – to science and the engineers and technicians who applied it to accomplish this wonderful human triumph.

October 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Milan, Vivan, Gabriela, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, (Danie), Lori, (Adelaide), Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha,others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    God bless miners, kudos to Rescue workers!:)
    Anderson,
    See you tomorrow night! Thanks so much!

October 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  38. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Be safe.

Sometimes we do get the Miracle and the happy ending!

CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE, Miners safe now in CHILE!

October 13, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  39. Lori

Great reporting Anderson.

October 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  40. Janis

Now that it is over, I hope we can leave them to live their lives in peace and love with their families if they choose. There is complete and honest information archived and available to whoever wants to research. I hope they are left out of the media frenzy to heal.

October 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  41. MelissaC

And now there is one... I cannot imagine!

October 13, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
  42. Karen, MN

The last guy out is the bravest person I have ever seen.

October 13, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  43. Marcelo, Santiago, Chile

Only one rescue worker to go. I guess he'll shut the lights off, but I'm not sure who's going to close the Phoenix pod's door for him!

October 13, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  44. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

They drilled through solid rock which was plan B, and it was thought of as "Mission Impossible" Mission is being Completed.

October 13, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  45. Sylvia

I thank the Lord that all the 33 miners are rescued as of today, October 13, 2010. My husband and I offered our mass and rosaries today for the safe rescue of these workers. Indeed, the power of God and prayers played so much in this ordeal. The rescue workers and all those who played an important part in this rescue mission should be applauded for their brave and unselfish desire to keep these workers alive. Congratulation Chile, you are indeed an inspiration to all of us!!!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  46. David, Indiana

@Starr I agree great to be watching good news.

@Karen MN, Yes it would be incredibly difficult to keep from freaking out underground waiting to be found and then rescued.

October 13, 2010 at 10:55 pm |
  47. dolores

Thank you so much for not forgetting about the rescue workers.

October 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  48. Lori

Good night Anderson and Everyone! Sweet Dreams!

October 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  49. Emily

Wow, it was the MD Miner that had the wife & mistress waiting for him. I heard he said that he didn't want to leave, or wanted to be the last one out. That he was afraid to come out of the mine.

October 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  50. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

Everybody must know Doctor "House"!

October 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm |