October 13th, 2010

Cheers & Tears in Chile: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, Chile's Camp Hope is living up to its name, and then some. Call it: Camp Success. All 33 miners are out.  Six rescue workers still need to be brought to the surface. We'll bring you live coverage from San Jose Mine where there have been a lot of cheers and happy tears over the past 22 hours.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. lisal -canada

it has been wonderful to see everyone enjoying the experience of watching and reporting these moments

October 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

What a crowd to watch miners, they are so happy for miners rescued men!!!!!! I love crowd people!!!!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  3. Becky G

The miner's have truly been blessed to be alive and be rescued.It is so wonderful to have some good news in the world for a change.All the. Many Blessing's to all the miner's and to all the workers who helped to make this rescue a success.
    Well wishes from North Carolina, USA

October 13, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Sue R. Canton MI.

I agree with the regular AC360 bloggers. It was such a good feeling to see people on this blog from all over the world.The comments everywhere were so positive. It really made me wish that it could always be like this whenever a disaster happen's.

October 13, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  5. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Great show! what a day! Whew! God Bless everyone!

October 13, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  6. william

Half a dozen or so of you bloggers have asked the important question of how the last rescuer will enter the Fenix capsule without assistance. Unfortunately, the media coverage hasn't addressed that for us yet. However, I'm sure he has been well drilled and practiced for this moment. What I would like to know is how will the capsule align itself with the angle of the shaft for the ascent once the rescuer is inside. The rescuers appeared to have had to manually align the capsule to achieve the correct shaft angle with each previous ascent.

October 13, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  7. Nicole The Netherlands

There we go, the mistress story. So good
    Two women showing up for one man !

October 13, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  8. paula in santa barbara

what an inspiration the Chilean people are! they obviously have love and respect for human life, family, courage, country and faith in God.

October 13, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  9. Lori

A back door?

October 13, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  10. Emily

I'm so glad that his Wife stayed back!
    What she said was so correct.

October 13, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

So excited to see the last rescuer come to the surface. Hope all goes well as the others have. I too am curious how he will do this alone.

Hope everyone has a great evening! Love the outpouring these past two nights from everyone all over the globe. What a wonderful world we live in!

October 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  12. Jim Bland

Anderson,

Were the miners ever told they wouldn't be rescued until Christmas? I thought that was going to be kept from them.

October 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Edson Galeazzi

Hi Anderson,
    We are following you from Brazil, and just waiting the last miner turn off the light!

October 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  14. Nancy in Oregon

You're so right, Jo Ann. The euphoria fades. But that's why I think more regular doses of similar inspirations would be good for our diets. We might begin to 'believe' again...believe that possibilities can come true. I fear we have become so, so cynical from all we see and hear now that it probably partly affects the ultimate outcome of life situations, close to home and on the world stage.

October 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
  15. Rose

Thank you CNN for your excellent coverage. I can't rest until everyone is up. I hope all of these miners do well in the aftermath. Love the chant, they have every reason to be proud!!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  16. Nicole The Netherlands

I don't want to see a movie on this, I want to see a (long) indepth documentary. With the whole why, how, what, when everyting.
    From how this could happen till the workers above ground the CEO's, the president and the politics and the technology that was used and shared. And..
    The miracle achieved!

October 13, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Marcelo, Santiago, Chile

@ Paul. Half the miners are still in triage, being complete assessed. The most expected complications are liver/kidney problems and body reaction due to sudden temperature and pressure change. There's also a psych evaluation, I've heard.

October 13, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Michelle Holman

I have been brought to tears with the coverage on CNN. Last Night At around 8:00pm PT, I rushed home from work to the first miner being brought to the surface, I was crying like a baby. Not only for the families, but for the whole rescue effort it's self. Failure was not an option!!!! I kept one eye open all night sleeping on the couch watching to see which of the 33 miners they were rescuing next. At work today I tried to get any info on how many were left. I am so proud that a U.S. company came up with plane B. I will be esthetic though when all the rescue workers are above ground. Thank-you CNN for your coverage, you are, and always will be my go to network for breaking news.

Michelle Holman
    Seattle Wa

October 13, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  19. Pam Ohio

Thanks Anderson for keeping the coverage going until all the rescue workers are above ground. I was watching on the internet, and it just seems important to ensure they are ALL back before declaring victory. What courageous workers we have here!

The President of Chile was right ... this is a chance for us to all be "reborn" in our attitudes toward one another and to realize how strong we can be when we work together!

October 13, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  20. Paul

Thank you Nancy in Oregon!! I am thinking the same thing maybe the local is to small to host all 33 ...Or maybe 16 have bigger problems that the local hospital can't handle ..That why I asked ,also they were worried about breaking the bond that was built over 70 day to fast....

So I would like to hear from CNN where the 16 others and why?

October 13, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  21. Tony

Rochelle, now they're going to face another form or two of abnormal life. PTSD of some sort, then the crazy world of fame.

Stay tuned – these men and their families are unwitting pioneers.

If/when humans get to Mars, I guarantee you that this event will be addressed, probably during the time there.

October 13, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Emily

Wow, this is another great example of technology, isn't it? I hear all about these different cameras, etc. It's really something to see them in action, and for the good.

October 13, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  23. Tera

Anderson, always enjoy your shows but most of all enjoyed this one because all were safe. Prayers are answered and I pray for each ones health. Good recovery.

October 13, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  24. Jim in NYC

Thank you for your coverage of this Blessed and miraculous event! God Bless the miners and their families! I want to thank CNN for not abandoning coverage after the last miner surfaced. That is why CNN is my favorite news media outlet. The rescue workers that ascended into the unknown are just as important. Anderson, great coverage.

October 13, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  25. Anthony

A truly human story. No-one was going to give up for as long as anyone was still in the mine.
    The rescue was superb. Sharp, focused, humble, effective, human at its best.
    The President looked like the kind of man you want to be in charge. Genuine, there, the complete supporter.
    The miners showed their toughness throughout. These were not tourists trapped down below. They were tough men, who showed exceptional resolve, who stuck together, and came out with pride.

October 13, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  26. Carol Maryott

The awe,joy and respect for all involved in the mining rescue has renewed our faith in all that is truly good.

October 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  27. Nancy in Oregon

Paul T. Snyder, I remember them saying last night it was 49 degrees.

October 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  28. PAULA

@Linda!!! that is a amazing man, he is Laurence Golborne, Mining Minister

October 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  29. Myra

I'm glad the president of Chile followed his heart and followed his heart and saved all miners.To the miners I'm glad God gave you all a second chance at life and may you keep god close to you in life.I hope all countries and the United states learn from all of this and keep God. in all they do.Please pray for the United states to get the people back to work.and stop the Greed.
    Your friend
    Myra USA

October 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Christaline Robin

oh boy i am so happy they r all alive n well – all 33 men; just want to know n waiting up to see the last rescue worker come up

October 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  31. Mari

I was glued to my television since the first miner was rescued...I'm so thrilled it's over with a happy ending. I thank God for all the people that made this possible. And for once, it's good to see some good news on the tv!!! Thanks for all you do Anderson!

October 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  32. Karen, MN

I'm so glad the Chile government allowed us to watch the rescue.

October 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  33. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I am glad to hear that the miners may not have to return to the mines given the generosity of so many people and companys.

@Anderson, i was surprised too about the live pictures as the 1st rescuer arrived down in the mine.

Technoloy played a huge role in this resuce.

October 13, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  34. Jo

The most profound statement by one of the Chilean miners-"there was not 33 of us down there, there were 34 – GOD was with us". No doubt!...Daniel 3:25

October 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  35. Michael in Uniontown, PA

A wonderful job of reporting what could have been a tragedy that turned into a positive outcome! Heroes come to life when needed, those being the miners working together,the rescue team and the citizens of Chile praying for a positive outcome! I hope people around the world realize how fragile life is and how soon it can come to an end. Life lives on in peace when we work together.

October 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  36. Nancy in Oregon

The follow-through in all its forms will be interesting to see, Emily...and hopefully equally uplifting!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  37. Emily

@Mike, formerly from Syracuse
    "I wonder what the contrast is with WWII submarines?"
    That's another small, tight space...as long as the water doesn't leak in, I'd rather be in the Submarine. 69 days surrounded by all that dirt and more. Yuck!

October 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  38. Hugo from Chile

Rescueing the miners has taught the world how well organized and united the chilean people can be under extreme conditions

October 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  39. Cecil Alexander

What an amazing story. It reminds me of the rescue of the Apollo 13 astronauts. Why not interview those astronauts and get their perspective on it?

Cecil Alexander

October 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  40. Trish

The first rescuer to go down the shaft was Manuel "Manolo" Gonzalez. (Incredibly brave.,) Will he be the last to leave?

October 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  41. Karen, MN

Anderson,

The rescue started with your show last night and it looks like it might finish with your show. That's really cool.

October 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  42. Kathryn PlymMtg PA

Congratulations Chile, you are an inspiration!

October 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  43. Gary

Yahoo! Having been down in a mine and spelunking a cave I am excited for Chile's survivors but I can't help but think of the rumour that 4500 mines in Chile have approximately 16 inspectors for little reported disasters waiting to happen.

My 10 days scrossing the Atlantic was a walk in the park when thinking of these survivors.

October 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  44. Heather - Spokane, WA

Hopefully these miners will cope well with their new found celebrity especially if they are getting money offers like that

October 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  45. Connie

Hi Anderson, I´m writing from Santiago and I´m one of the 17 million proud chileans! The 2nd miner you just showed, Mario Sepulveda, represents exactly the strength, humor, leadership, patience and enthusiasm of those 33 men. Mario has become a heroe, what an incredible guy. And of course, all those rescuers, engineers, experts and authorities that never gave up! VIVA CHILE!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  46. Paul T. Snyder

Have had CNN on the past 36 hours, good job on the Miners. Havn"t heard anyone tell us what the temperature is up on top? We can see peoples breath so know its cold! What is the temperature?

October 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  47. Debbie

I've been watching this story for weeks. Today was a wonderful day for people every where. Each time a miner came up was just as emotional as the last. The believe in God and the ingenuity of man was a great thing.

October 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  48. jim r hugo sr

how lucky can people be. was fortunate enough to see man walk on the moon. saw 33 miners pulled to safety after 69 days. from waling on the moon. from being rescued from the bowels of the earth. so amazing god bless us all. god bless all rescuers who made it happen. brave ur the 6 who went down as rescurers. lucky are the miners that had the world come togther to there rescue. let this be the 1st sign of world peace and unifaction./ jr hugo sr

October 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  49. Nancy in Oregon

Excellent strategy idea, Starr: immediately put the experts in that particular field onto the task. (In this case it's been interesting to hear of mining, engineering, space, and even submarine expertise being involved in some way.)

October 13, 2010 at 10:43 pm |
  50. Keegan

I found it strange the miners were so clean. Can somebody on CNN(Anderson) elaborate?

October 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |