October 13th, 2010

Cheers & Tears in Chile: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, Chile's Camp Hope is living up to its name, and then some. Call it: Camp Success. All 33 miners are out.  Six rescue workers still need to be brought to the surface. We'll bring you live coverage from San Jose Mine where there have been a lot of cheers and happy tears over the past 22 hours.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Helen

I hate to assume, but is the Phoenix capsule used in the Chilean mine resue equipped to permit the last of the rescue workers to strap himself into the pod and somehow signal that he is ready for the final ascent? No one has addressed that.

October 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  2. Diane Steinberger

Thank you to the CNN crew for covering this historical event as it unfolded . No matter how many times I've seen the capsule come up I couldn't help but feel the emotion all over again. Those men and their families deserve all the perks they can get their hands on!

October 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Sally Zimmerman

The steam rising is due to temperature variation. It's at least 85 degrees at the bottom of the shaft, probably 40 degrees on the surface.

The cable isn't centered until the last leg of the shaft. It isn't a straight line, but a series of "doglegs" to the surface.

Thanks, Anderson and crew for staying until the bravest one "turns out the lights" and comes home safely.

October 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Ramona Aitken

God Bless the miners and the people who helped them to get out safely. That was truly a moment in time that we will never forget. And, THANK YOU to Precision Drilling Corporation of Calgary, Alberta CANADA, who had an INTEGRAL part in this rescue. Funny that they weren't mentioned on the American television stations. That's neither here nor there, the bottom line is that we witnessed a miracle. We are ALL brothers and sisters, regardless of race or borders.

Amen.

October 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  5. Andy Clayton

When you read and hear about mankind killing each other, it makes you sad. Are we not better? Why does a fellow man blow themselves up to cause harm to others? Why fly a jet airliner into a building to cause as much harm as posible to others? The Chiliain rescue mission makes you proud to be a member of the human race. We are better. I hope the effort that was made shows the rest of the world life
    is important and all the world can learn a lesson.

October 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  6. Lorraine

All the miners were wearing identical T-shirts – does anyone know what was written on them – Thanks

October 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Sophia

What a wonderful rescue work! It's so awesome to see solidarity among these men and everyone involved in this rescue mission. And, I'm sure there are a lot of unsung heroes, international aids, that came in who humbly bowed out before the spotlight got them. Could we know more about these organizations or countries who helped? Also, it seemed many heads of state called the Chilean president today to congratulate, but I didn't hear anything about President Obama. Do you know if any of our US officials call?

October 13, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  8. Emily

lol @ Jina
    "Will the miners get paid for the 69 days they were at work?"
    Boy, that would be an amount that would need to be negotiated. 24/7 for 69days. (x33men)

October 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  9. vivi MD

So proud of being chilean, very happy for my country and for all those miners.Thanks to CNN for sharing this to us.

October 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  10. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Emily, 'so fitting this started during Anderson's show'. Yes it is, that's what I also thought last night..
    Couldn't have happened during a better show!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  11. Sue R. Canton MI.

It just feel's so great to be able to cry happy tear's. Can't wait for the last rescue worker to surface. Then I can cry one last happy tear.

October 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  12. Nancy in Oregon

Peggy A Lloyd, I had a siege-time like that too. I can completely appreciate your appreciation of such a positive event. Blessings to you.

October 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  13. Sonia howell

Last night in Nashville, Loretta Lynn was preforming her last concert at the Grang Ole Opery house, Her last song was Cole Miner's Daughter, After that we were informed that the rescue had started. What a sign from above !!! I have cried tears of joy 17 times, Watching the out pouring of love, was such an heroic effort from teams of diverse people. So amazing !!!! Another time that the world had band together in prayer,and hope. To be able to see the love that the Chili people have for each other is wonderful and I am very pleased to see that is almost over and their President stayed until it was over. This has brought new feeling into alot of our hearts, Thank you CNN for staying there and giving us every play by play.. !!! and sharing what people around the world had to express of this situation, Was very nice to see that the whole world was hoping and praying and sharing such joy together...

October 13, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  14. Isabel

It's finally over, we can finally breath, it really is "the Earth giving birth to 33 man" and all of us waiting for them. It's time to celebrate life! chi chi le le!!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  15. carlos

thanks for the oppertunity to express best wishes and love for all invoved so happy especially for the all family members. let us never doubt that we as a people are worthy and capible of so much good when we all work together.

October 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  16. David, Indiana

@Jo Ann and Nancy in Oregon I agree this is a great instance of how working together can help us meet tremendous challenges. Hats off to the Chileans for working together and reaching out for help too.

October 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  17. Karoline, Los Angeles

Hi everyone,

I was busy working but when I heard "three months without a shower" I just had to blog my disgust! Oh how awful that would be!

I hope the miners don't turn into test subjects. I hope they get left alone-for their sakes. Let them go back to a somewhat normal life.

October 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Tony

Julie, not just faith in God, but faith in humanity and fellow individuals, no?

October 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Linda

Anderson – Who is that guy?

The dark-haired man welcoming miners home, with the gigantic welcoming smile? He's been there since the first man came up and is still there now? A government official? A rescue worker? He's been my favorite greeter over the last 24 hours. There's something very endearing about him. He looks like a man with a big heart!

Cheers and God Bless the miners, their families. A thrilling outcome to a unique event in our time.

October 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  20. MelissaC

With 24+ inspirational hours of coverage, never has it been more apparent that every single life matters.

In a society where so many seem to believe it's ok to take anothers life as long as you're willing to 'do the time'– dare I hope some of our reckless youth tuned in and will put down their weapons?

October 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Pat. K

Anderson,

I hope everyone in the news media will take note of how great it feels to report a story like the rescue in Chili. Imagine how good it feels for us to hear such a happy ending. Please try to give us at lease ONE (oops) feel-good story per broadcast. Thanks for listening.

October 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  22. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

When people are deprived of those creature comforts and the companionship of loved ones, only then can they begin to really appreciate them.

Unfortunately, you can't hold on to that euphoria forever, life goes on and people forget.

October 13, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  23. Carol Maryott

Thank you CNN for bringing this incredible,touching,inspiring story to our lives at a time when the world desperately
    needed to witness a miracle of this magnitude.

October 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  24. Pam Smith

It's not over yet....there are still a couple workers underground and I think everyone is curious how the last guy will secure himself in the dream capsule and close the door. What a great day!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  25. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

Bear Grylls is so right. When humans are "squeezed like grapes", we find out what we're made of. So true. These miners are truly heroes.

October 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  26. Tammi, Thunder Bay Canada

We just celebrated Thanksgiving...and while I sit in my cozy living room watching the coverage on CNN, I realize just how much I do have to be grateful for. Cheers to Chi Chi Chi le le le!

October 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  27. Rochelle

I hope the 33 men live health,happy,peaceful,long live.Take care of yourselves.Thanks for a wounderful day!

October 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  28. Nancy in Oregon

Paul, I think they said 17 were in a particular hospital. The others are probably elsewhere in another hospital.

October 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  29. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Have agents descended yet trying to get movie rights? Hopefully the authorities are keeping people like that away.

October 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  30. Joan

Watched the rescue mission on CNN since it began. What a marvelous world we live in and how proud I am to be an American. Chile and all of its citizens have showed the world what it can do when we work together. God Bless us all! Joan, Indiana

October 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  31. Brian

It is amazing how the Chilean miners are not that phisiycally or mentally ill.Theu're not talking about USA(NASA)!Otherwise,Go Chile!

October 13, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  32. Gina

Hi Anderson: I'm very pleased to see the Chilean Miners coming up to the surface. It's really quite inspiring. How do you feel about this since you were present when the Miner's in Va were not able to be rescued, and then later on in Utah when they just left them there? You've seen these situations before, do you think it's that the world has, since those earlier cave ins, developed new techinques for rescue or is it just that it is a defferent country and different out look?

October 13, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  33. bob

god bless the miners

October 13, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  34. Jamie Christensen

I am so thrilled for the miners in Chile, but I can't help but hurt for the families of the miners trapped in the mine in Huntington Utah a few years ago. It must be a bitter sweet day for them!

October 13, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  35. Emily

@Ekaterina
    I'm SO Impressed with the way that the Chilean authorities handled all of this. It really is refreshing to see the transparency.
    It's also CNN that is bring it to us, and I'm just as impressed with Anderson, Karl, and Gary.

October 13, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  36. Starr, formerly known as vincent

@Carol, Clifton NJ

I think the Gov. of Chile intervened very quickly and took over rescue operations.

Perhaps that is the answer to these mining disasters.

Let the government and/or the specialists take over the disasister (or any disaster) for a more positive outcome.

October 13, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  37. Joel

I'd like to see the last rescuer leave from below and just wondering if he will turn off the lights.

October 13, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  38. niwat kurusattra, chicago

Everytime I changed channel to CNN.. I love seeing the number of miners to get lifted up ticks higher and higher God has worked his miracle. This is absolutely exuberant for all the entrapped miners and their families, relatives.

October 13, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  39. Rod

I am so proud of these miners- their strength and resolve.

Chile: you inspire us! Vancouver, Canada spoke of you in the coffee shops, at the barber shop and we watched with our families. All saying: this is amazing!

October 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  40. elisabeth

how will the last rescue worker close the door to the phoenix?

October 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  41. Ethel Sinkewitz, North Port, FL

In my 80 years I have never witnessed a miracle of this magnitude. Truly God has proven that He is in control of all situations and has shown the world his wondrous ways. Faith is believing in those things not seen, and surely these trapped miners kept this in their hearts, and today reaped the rewards. Thank you Jesus, and God Bless all of you who are involved in this miraculous recovery.

October 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  42. Maria Paz

I'm chilean and I am so happy for how everything has come out so well!! Let's hope the sixth rescue worker get to the surface in well conditions. I really can't imagine how it feels to be there alone so deep (deep = building of 250 floors). Thanks for all the people who helped from other countries!

PS: @Sharyn the chant goes like this: Ce-Hache-I,CHI! Ele-E,LEE! Chi! Chi! Chi! Le! Le! Le! VIVA CHILE!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  43. earline

I don't know how they did i, but they survived, That capsual was so confined I couldn't have made the trip up.Very brave men and rescuers.God Bless

October 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  44. Abayomi@Nigeria

With man, this may seem impossible. But with God, all things are possible! Thank God all the trapped 33 miners have been rescued alive!

October 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  45. Karen, MN

There are a lot of things I could survive, but being underground freaks me out.

October 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  46. Eduardo

You have seen the Chilean way : we will never give up , we will not leave an untouched stone searching for our love ones. We may be seen messy an untidy in our style to achieve obeectives, but we will move mountains to help another human being in disgrace .... we are fiendly and strongly moved by solidarity . all the best and thanks for all those kind words of support .

October 13, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  47. Christine from Las Vegas

This is truly inspirational! This is the perfect example of how the eintire world should come together for all man and woman kind during any diaster! Thanks to Everyone!

October 13, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  48. Carol

Anderson – great job of covering this amazing story!

October 13, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  49. Dr. Gactjens Saint-Hilaire

This is truly an incredible display of humanity and courage. It shows what can be accomplished when we work together. Surviving an ordeal such as this requires a great deal of faith. The workers are to be congratulated as well for using their skills to do something that has never been done before. This is humanity at its finest.

October 13, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  50. Janis

Chile has done the greatest job with the TV coverage and feed to the rest of the world. They know how to keep it honest. Great television coverage, Chile. Thank you. Thank you CNN for picking it up translations and all. I've watched CNN non stop, except to sleep, for 2 days.

October 13, 2010 at 10:35 pm |