October 13th, 2010

Cheers & Tears in Chile: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, Chile's Camp Hope is living up to its name, and then some. Call it: Camp Success. All 33 miners are out.  Six rescue workers still need to be brought to the surface. We'll bring you live coverage from San Jose Mine where there have been a lot of cheers and happy tears over the past 22 hours.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. stephanie norville

Hi Anderson it has been one of the most gurt rinching day i have ever been through for people i doent even know, i am in Barbados and miles,away and sleep refuse to come.
    by now the angels in heven are smeling for all who take the time out to bring these men back to the land of the living, i must say a special thank you to the President for allowing the world to see every thing as it progresse.
    And to your CNN team well done good job.

Once again thank to all i can now sleep.

October 13, 2010 at 10:35 pm |
  2. Debbie Cook

CALGARY – At least two Canadian companies have taken part in a dramatic rescue effort underway in the remote Chilean desert, where 33 miners survived underground for more than two months.

Calgary-based oil and gas driller Precision Drilling Corp. (TSX: PD.TO) said Wednesday it was proud of the role its crews played in digging a hole to reach the men, who were trapped 700 metres beneath the Earth's surface.

October 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  3. Tanya Brown

I am so glad that the rescue was a success for the miners. I know that it had to de awful living undergroud for all those days. Missing your family and friends but God is an awsome God he will never leave you are forsake you. God Bless and stay strong.

October 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  4. robert

how can these men look so clean shaven. were they all able to shave and clean up before coming up? i had tears in my eyes every time another miner came out!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  5. Nancy in Oregon

Yes, Laurie, I so agree-I hope every single link in the chain is honored here.

October 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  6. Paul

CNN keep reporting 17 people are in the hospital Where are the other 16?????????
    I know I watched 33 come up!!!!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  7. Lesa

Thank you CNN and Anderson Cooper for the great coverage. I have not been able to turn away. When was it that the miners learned that the Chileans were drilling for them? I know that on day 17th the miners sent the note up, but do you know when they first heard the drilling above? When they first had reason to hope?

October 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  8. Beatti in Canada

So happy to share the joy of the Chilean people and the rest of the world–a happy ending brought about by the cooperation of many nations and the determination of one. Can't wait to see that last rescue worker reach the surface!

October 13, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  9. Tonya- Young, OH

Still can't believe they all got out safe. Can't wait to hear all the amazing stories to follow.So glad there was a happy ending!!

10. carola moya

The HONDURIAN people we admired the courage and team work from the chilean people!!

11. alma

today the world is a better place, Chile is an example of love, kindness and faith in GOD, thanks for let us know that still there are good men on this earth...

12. Sharon Hastings

I'm sure we will eventually hear from the miners themselves. I am so interested to hear how they coped and survived.

13. Emily

I think it's so fitting that all this started during you show Anderson, and now, it's ending at this time too.

14. Willenna Williams

I couldn't imagine being in a situation like that. This is how I know there is a God; therefore, I cried and prayed for every Chilean mine worker to have their freedom back. I felt like they were my family. My prayers have been answered.

15. Asberry

I have been watching most of the Chile rescue mssion unfold and it has been amazing. I am wondering though, who will fasten in the last rescue personnel as it appears that each had received that type of assistance?

16. Nicole The Netherlands

I would like to hear a small history lesson about Chile !
    It is so good to see this president, as committed as he is to these miners!
    Isn't Chile been under dictatorship decades ago?
    Who is this president?

17. BOBBO

who is going to turn off the lights and shut off the camera when the last man leaves the hole ??? thanks for the excellent coverage .....

18. Ryan

Today was a great day for all of humanity, Thank God for the safe return of the 33 miners and the 6 rescue workers. Who made it back safe from being in that mine. Am from Trinidad & Tobago and this is just to show all over the world or heart were there hoping for the safe rescue!

19. Kimberly in San Diego

I am truly impressed by the presence of the Chilean President and the spirit of the Chilean people. I had CNN on for the past 24 hours and each moment has left an impression on me learning about each man, and each of his responsibility. This is a true testiment to how working together as a team can bring a miracle to fruition. Best wishes to each miner and his family!

20. Michael Clark

thank you CNN for your coverage, you are awesome!!!!

21. Debbie Newark DE

Good Evening Everybody! Thanks Anderson for the continued coverage of the rescue.
    Been glued all day to CNN and won't quit
    till the last man from the rescue team is up!

22. Alan

It is soooo encouraging that people from many countries CAN come together in common human causes. Yet another example of the solution source for many of the common problems we face on our fair planet.

I am inspired and overjoyed by the rescue!!

23. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

It is so good to see positive enthusiasm for a change.

24. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

There were lessons to be learned faith, trust, and patient.

October 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  25. Marcelo, Santiago, Chile

It's been gratifying to watch the serious and thoughtful coverage of this rescue operation. I believe we're all aware of the underlying cause of the accident, namely a faulty inspection procedure and/or enforcement of safety regulations on this particular mining company, but it's good to see your focus on the human, positive conclusion of this accident.

October 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Samantha Rowley - Nashville, TN

I haven't cried tears of joy in so long. Most of my crying is due to frustration, anger, sadness. This was very refreshing for me this past day.

October 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  27. JEFFREY

First I want to say God is good all the time,and next
    Hats off to all the rescue workers and all the chile people it just goes to show how when we unite how much we can achieve
    I'm so happy for all the miners that they will be reunited with their families and its all over.
    JEFFREY-JAMAICA

October 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  28. ~Lisa~

I have been glued to the tv all afternoon! Its wonderful to see "good news" unfold before our eyes!! I am so happy for all the miners, their families & all the search & rescue teams that were involved! "Good Job!" =)

October 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  29. linda

what is the plan for the last rescue worker... will he be able to secure the door from the inside? Will the video feed and lights stay on?

October 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  30. Julie

If your faith in God was dimmed in any way, this rescue sure could change that. It gives all renewed faith =) Bless all those rescued and their families, and those who helped make that happen.

October 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Don

I was very impressed with the President and First Lady of Chile. It seems like they have been there almost the whole time of the Rescue. I'm used to seeing a President there initially, and for the benefit of a Photo Op... Then leaving. Kudos to Chile's First Family and everyone involved in this amazing Rescue!

October 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Charlotte DC

Praise be to God for all the world to see. Check this out......Chile has captivated the world with its clear example of love, devotion, loyalty, courage and unyeilding faith. How can anyone complain when you see ths type of circumstance and how the men came together to survive this tragedy. They prayed, the worked together and they had faith. Thank God for their families and all who supported them. I am truly grateful to all of them for showing the world how to rise in the midst of a devastating crisis. To God be the Glory!!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  33. Nancy in Oregon

Carol in Clifton, I for one am grateful that for now, the focus has been on the amazingly positive rescue.

October 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  34. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Loved the way the last miner wore the Chilean flag. It looks almost like the lone star flag.So touching to watch!

October 13, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  35. Tammy from Illinois

Thanks for giving us 2 hr coverage on this and continuing to show the progress on this mission. God bless the Miners and their families.

October 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  36. Pastor Deborah Satterwhite

Oh What a Blessing!!! What a Wonderful thing for The Whole World to See!! Praise God that these men are free. And that The Recusers are getting free as I Speak. Now Let's Pray that Their Mind's , Emotions and Physical Health Will be Free as Well! I Love it, that They Gave God The Glory!! And we as a People from Across The World, Really came together, in Prayer, Love and in the Sharing of Our Technology and Wisdom. We should do that, without a tragedy!! And CNN...........Great Job!!!! "Be Blessed"

Pastor Deborah

October 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  37. Linda

Does anyone know why the miners decided not to speak of what went on down there for all those days? Makes you wonder what really went on or they decided collectively to save the story for a movie, book deal, etc. It was reported that a miner said that if they handle this correctly, they won't ever have to work again. I hope they get plenty of compensation for what they lived through. God bless all of them!

October 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  38. Karen

Thank God for Miracles and Guardian Angels!!
    Keep the faith, stay strong, and God will be by your side-33 miners are the proof that MIRACLES do happen!

October 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  39. Meg1 from Jamaica

Thank you CNN for the excellent coverage of the Chilean miners' rescue. I have been glued to my TV all day and am still watching the rescuers being brought up to the surface. God bless the miners, their families, the rescuers, the machine operators and ALL who contributed in any way to the safe return of these men to their families.

October 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  40. judyjohnston12@yahoo.com

Hello Chile!
    I am so happy for you and your heroic efforts! Your country must be bursting with much deserved elation. I am fortunate to be born Texan but, today, and never before, I am very envious of the Chillan pride you must have. AND, to GOD be the Glory! Prayers have been answered!

God bless you all!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  41. Maggi Davis

Dear Mr. Cooper;

I was only able to hear the President of Chile's message, in English, on a Spanish station. Would you please broadcast his inspirational message, so that I will be able to hear and understand the entire message.

Maggi Davis

October 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  42. Emily

@Nicole The Netherlands
    "It has given me so much hope and energy, the whole thing !!"
    That's a great thing to read!
    I really liked the quote that one of the Chilean reporters said, when the first miner came out of the earth, and said that "he was re-born".

October 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  43. Laurie

I truly appreciate you are including the the return of the rescue team in your coverage. I cannot help but notice, where is the Chilean pres at this time? He seemed to have more than enough to say to the "Boss" of the mine and a long winded speech to the country, yet there were/are still workers beneath the ground. Is he in fact still at the site watching for everyone's safe return or has the "publicized" portion been completed therefore it is no longer advantageous for him to be there? We need to acknowledge all workers...the person operating 'the rope', the harness guys, etc....We are only as strong as the weekest link...

October 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  44. Tony

Remember, these guys had access to a decent amount of the mine shaft upward spiral to "get away" from the other guys at times. One guy ran what, 6 miles a day he said?

So, they had some ability to get away from the main room for moments at least.

October 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  45. sylvia in Jersey City, NJ

Hello Anderson, good job covering the Miners. I stayed up until 4am when it started and i raced home this evening to see the last miner come up and i just cried. What a true blessing and Wonderful historic event.

October 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  46. Amy , OH

Anderson, MANY MANY thanks for also covering the safe return of the rescue workers! We strongly feel the mission isn't over until that rescue chamber is completely empty!!!!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  47. earline

Our God is an awesome God

October 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  48. Ginny from Upstate New York

When that first rescue worker went down that pipeline last night, I thought about him and how brave he was. As I sat and watched the live stream television I really concentrated on him and prayed for him.....what courage!! The greatest picture of all was the LIVE camera showing the first time that capsule reached the miners with him stepping out of the capsule. Unbelievable! Not only have the miners changed, so have we.

October 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  49. Laurie

Do the math 13/10/10 = 33 rescued miners, simply amazing!

October 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  50. Estela

Chi Chi Chi, Le Le Le...Los Mineros De Chile' !!!
    God bless everyone involved in this rescue.

October 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |