October 13th, 2010

Cheers & Tears in Chile: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, Chile's Camp Hope is living up to its name, and then some. Call it: Camp Success. All 33 miners are out.  Six rescue workers still need to be brought to the surface. We'll bring you live coverage from San Jose Mine where there have been a lot of cheers and happy tears over the past 22 hours.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. esther egharevba

33 of the Chilean miners out already, out also is 3 out of 6 of the rescure workers, what can i say? God is too good. Esther Egharevba from Nigeria.

October 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  2. Nancy in Oregon

Diana Allen, that's probably where the leaders came into play, don't you suppose?

October 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  3. MARCEL CAIG

Wonderfull lesson for the whole world: team work; dedication:desire to save lves; faith; love and full emotions can solve almost anything. Congratulations to the chileans, I hope we all learned a lot. CNN Great coverage

October 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  4. Janis

I'm interested to see how the last rescuer gets into the Fenix. I wonder if they'll leave the camera on?

October 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  5. Cathy Williams

33 Miners rescued, add together today's date 10+13+10 equals 33. Cathy Williams Tampa

October 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  6. Ekaterina

Please remember, CNN is not responsible for the footage – it is being provided by the Chilean authorities (who have done a wonderful job providing amazing access to all the events – even within the mine) and is being carried by all the news networks worldwide.

October 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  7. Milady Oware

Been watching this breaking news since Tuesday 10pm (in Ghana)and now it's 2.25am, and am glad it's over. God bless Chile and the people of Chile.All must learn from this experience

October 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  8. Pat

The world needed the joy of this rescure. Finally something GREAT happened on today news.

October 13, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  9. joy baranowski

please interpret the chant in english, chi chi chi le le le & the last line. joy from ontario

October 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  10. Carlos

Hi ! I'm a chilean living in Miami,USA.
    I just want to say THANK YOU to all the American People for your prayers and support to this rescue event. We know that we received a lot of help from USA. Represented by some hard worker that traveled from far away to our country to help, to the people from NASA, etc. This coudn't be be done so perfectly without their help. God Bless America ! THANKS, THANKS, THANKS. ... Carlos M.

October 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  11. Leeann Moore

Thank God...I was praying through the whole ordeal.
    I laughed and cried with all of Chile as each miner broke the surface....
    CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE

October 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Ruth

I've heard that the mining company was supposed to have installed a ladder for escape, but never did. Kind of a downer if that's true. Do you know if the mine owners are some of the people standing with Chile's President?

October 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  13. Susan (NYC)

I am so grateful that CNN is covering this story!
    I was surprised more networks were not. Finally, a little equilibrium by reporting live on a positive story. Remarkable lesson on the dedication of the families in getting a response from the government and faith/strength/solidarity of the miners. Surprised there is not an easily found fund for donations to support these families.

October 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Nancy in Oregon

Nancy, it has to be very inspirational to you too! Hang in there (easier said than done, I know full well.)

October 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I wonder what the contrast is with WWII submarines? They were hot, damp, smelly, no fresh food, a very cramped.

October 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Sue R. Canton MI.

Most people who are trained for situations like this are in a controlled environment. These brave men weren't and they had no idea if or when they would be rescued . I hope that much is learned from the miners. Maybe their survival stories will help save the lives of many miners who get trapped.

October 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  17. Diane-Hamilton, Ont., Canada

What a fanastic day! I'm so happyn for the miners and their families....it must have been a terrible ordeal for everyone involved!! Way to go Chile!! God Bless You All!!
    A special thank you to all the brave rescuers who chose to go down there to help!

October 13, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  18. margarita

Thanks to our lord,God bless all these miners and all the people that made this rescue so possible. Chile is a better country now and im glad to say that we live in the best country in the world for being there and having the our american people be helpers..GOD bless them all and their families i can finaly stop crying of joy

19. Theresa

God is so good....thank you Lord Jesus for sparing 33 lives!!

20. Emily

I hope that the media is going to leave them all alone when they go home. It's really going to be an adjustment for them. I hope that the media will give them their privacy and space.

21. Carol in Clifton, NJ

What an example–combining tragedy with miracle–these miners, rescuers, and the President of Chile are for the whole world to see and never forget. God bless them all/may they and their families heal and never see the inside of the mines again.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: WHERE ARE THE MINE OWNERS AND OPERATORS? WHY HAVENT WE SEEN THEM OR HEARD FROM THEM?

22. Elizabeth

God bless all of the miners and the people who helped to make this a victorious outcome...may we in the US learn from this to help keep our miners safe

23. Jill

we are watching from newfoundland, canada. thank you anderson for not letting the public forget about the rescue workers. This will not be over until every last person is out of the mine, safe. this story has changed our lives. even my 77 year old father, stayed awake all night to watch the miracle before us, crying as every miner hugged his family. this is truely an amazing story and one of which I will carry with me for the rest of my life, thank you for the constant coverage so we call all feel a part of this miracle.

24. Carol Maryott

The Chilean mine rescue represents the very
    best of humanity in every way.

25. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I got chills from Chile today! Hip hip hooray!!

26. Helena

33 miners, 33 days to do the shaft, 10/10/13 = 33, Jesus was known to have died at the age of 33?

27. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

The people doing the most dangerous jobs are the ones getting the worst pay. That is just so wrong!

28. Gustavo

This has been an outstanding rescue event! I just wish that all of us here in the United States can learn and use this as an example on how a government and our diversity should work to accomplish miracles.

29. Mary

I'm so glad that all the miners are safe!!!! Thanks to all the rescue members, you are all true heros!!!!!

30. Blanca Juarez

I'm a proud Latina and I'm so happy for our Chilean brothers! This truly was a miracle from God.
    Those miners should really go on vacation with those $10,000 that millionaire gave to each one.

31. Jessica

@rita I too havn't been able to turn away. When I found out they would be pulling them up last night I ran to the TV. My husband said he was scared to touch the remote!

32. Kathy

So remarkable and such a blessing to witness this rescue. It is so easy to see God's work in Chile today.

33. amber

We've all witnessed a great historical moment today. God bless all the miners and their families. God bless all the rescue workers who made this possible.

34. Millicent

For a president to standby and personally say welcome to the rescued miners shows he is very responsible. Chile good work. Milly Nigeria

35. Sharon Hastings

Carl Penhaul and Gary Tuchman did such a wonderful job. CNN should be proud of their coverage and I'm happy for Anderson that he got be part of a happy rescue compared to his previous experience with our miners.

36. Riley Kramar

What a great ending to a scary story....Was just wondering... is there any important equipment down there? Will it be left there?

37. Devin LeMaitre

Wow it's finaly over. Atleast almost over. I remember last night looking at them reaching the surface live. To see them come from the first miner to the third to last rescue workdr coming out of that whole. It is so nice to see it finaly over. They are free no more debating on if they're going to live or not like a few classmates and I did a few weeks ago. Its done its over, they are all free.

38. ~Lisa~

I have been glued to the tv all afternoon! Its wonderful to see "good news" unfold before I eyes!! I am so happy for all the miners, their families & all the search & rescue teams that were involved! "Good Job!" =)

39. marguerite

I am so thankful that the Miners are safe. I will be able to go to sleep when all the rescuers are back on the surface. Thank You God for blessing and keeping the men safe!!!!

40. Nancy in Oregon

Valeska, I'm proud of the whole international participation and of the outpouring during the final ascents.

41. Reuben

Please tell me the content or citation of the scripture written on the back of their shirts.

42. lynn

Lol @ Joann. Must be an awful feeling being the last one down there alone.

43. dianne

This is unbelivable but not over until all of the rescures are released and then a whole breathe can be taken !!! Go Chile – you are for your people !!!

44. Stephanie

I hope that as they have 3 more rescue workers to bring up to the surface that every one will be fine; physically, emotionaly, and psychology.

45. Jill

What a miracle. Our love and prayers go to all of the families and the rescue team.

46. Darlene

Thank God all of the men or Safe and back with their Love ones. We serve and Awesome God. What a Miracle God Performed here. God Bless each one of them. Chile and all their people did an Awesome Job rescueing all these Guys. GREAT JOB!!! Thank You God !!!

47. Valeska

@pilarc I am sure that he would be the one who would know how to close the door by himself.

48. Ilona

humanity working for a common goal.... it is like a symphony... awesome all the best from Canada

49. Kristin

This story is amazing. There are so many life lessons that could come out of this. I am thrilled at how united the world is over this miracle.

Will these men be financially taken care of?

50. Jan

I believe that someone said the Oakley donated the sunglasses. This rescue was so impressive. I will be relieved when the last of the men are topside.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15