October 13th, 2010

Cheers & Tears in Chile: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, Chile's Camp Hope is living up to its name, and then some. Call it: Camp Success. All 33 miners are out.  Six rescue workers still need to be brought to the surface. We'll bring you live coverage from San Jose Mine where there have been a lot of cheers and happy tears over the past 22 hours.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Gunter Radinger

In a day and age when most news stories are about disasters and generally bad news, it is truly wonderful to experience a perfectly thrilling, happy, and inspirational event like this rescue. I commend you all for staying with it until the very end, so that we could all do so. I would rather watch something like this than some of the junk that is being broadcast all over the air. Thank you for your dilligent and thoughtful coverage.

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  2. Kate paul

Angels of the bicentennial! How far Chile has come since Allend'e's time. I've tried to watch or listen all day as this is a moment that cannot be dissected. It must be felt. I can even feel it through the tellie. I even want to see and make sure that the rescuers are safe.
    Thanks Anderson, you're the calmest and most level voice to this i've seen all night.
    Cheers!

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  3. Lorena from Scottsdale

Anderson, do you have any news on Jimmy Sanchez the youngest miner? I heard earlier he had some psychological issues to deal with I think (depression). It must have been very difficult for him being only 19 years old....Nonetheless I'm very happy they are all ok.

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. John

Great day for the world......can we in this country learn from Chile or do we need to leaen.Do we have their will to succeed

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  5. PAULA

Thanks to everybody that was wishing a good and happy ending!!!! thank you for being with us!!!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  6. Odessa

I think the rescue mission has been so amazing. When it first happened and I did have sad thoughts but when I heard that they were alive than that bought some comfort in my heart. I've been watching this story unfold and just to see the Phoenix go up and down to rescue the miners was scary by awesome at the same time. Thank God for the rescue workers who really worked hard to save the miners. This is a glorious day.

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  7. Jina

Will the miners get paid for the 69 days they were at work?

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  8. Jose M

congratulations Chile on a wonderful rescue mission, may God bless these miners and there families. God never gives us something we can not handle. We are proud to be witnessing history-From Loganville GA

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  9. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Kristy Trams, "My HAT off to Chile's President! What a wonderful man, he endured staying there 24-7 making sure that he met all the miners as they emerged!"

I agree! I think President Pinera's support for the miners and their families helped them get through this. The way he smiled and hugged each and every miner was wonderful to see. His joy was so genuine.

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  10. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Books, movies, songs, poems, and plays are not just for entertainment, but they give what it must feel like without actually physically experiencing it.

October 13, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  11. soren griffith

Hey Anderson,
    I just want to say that this rescue was marvelous and God had these Miners on his Mind.

Guyana

12. Preston

Super coverage by CNN. I've watched all the rescues and teared up on every one of them.

My hat is off to the countless people involved in the massive amount of different efforts required to bring them safely to the surface.

Can't wait till the movie.

13. Tony

Yeah Clyde (Sepulveda is his surname?). I wonder if he'll be last out.

He had a choice, you know? Epic sacrifice. They did send the capsule down and up empty, but still...

14. Janis

I wonder if Chile could oversee all the deep sea oil rigs out there. We'd know for sure the environment was safe with them watching out for it. We'd know they honestly cared about it.

15. Sheila

How will the last brave rescuer reach the surface with no one left to assist?

16. Kelly, PA

Their spirit makes me want to visit Chile

17. Connie

One of the most heartwarming and miraculous stories of our time is unfolding before our eyes....thank you white butterfly!

18. Tammy

Good evening. Great show and great coverage on this Anderson Cooper! I always know your show will be great. Miracles do happen!!!!!!!!!!

October 13, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Yvonne (Louisville, KY)

What a wonderful testimony of togetherness, strength & hope of the miners & recurers. Thanks Anderson & CNN for a job well done in reporting.

20. Lori

Truly a miracle, I can't wait to watch the movie. What an incredible display of unity those 33 men had and the love, support and faithfullness of their families. Such a happy day!

21. Walter

Anderson aint it funny how people sometimes i mean there are people dying from floods way in Pakistan n nobody cares about it n we think these few miners matters more than them. it really saddens my heart.

22. Kathy from Nebraska

Wonderful, happy day watching all of the rescues. I find myself wondering if the U.S. could have pulled this rescue off as quickly and as well. It was perfect. It makes me sad that I don't think we could have.

23. Nancy

It's the first day in a year and a half of being unemployed that I feel blessed to have had the time to watch EVERY single man rescued!!

24. Pam Smith

This is so amazing to watch this live I have been at the edge of my seat since the first miner was brought up last night. I have found something that is so appropriate for this evening's event on Amazon which is a necklace called a Dream Capsule where you write your dream and put it into the capsule. A lot of people's dreams and prayers came true tonight and I am so happy everyone has been rescued. Their courage has been such an inspiration!!!

25. Diana Allen

I'm sure at least a few of the miners didn't get along BEFORE they were trapped; I can't imagine how they got along being confined in a high-stress situation together. You have to wonder if they were able to put their differences aside or if the tension exacerbated fragile relationships.

26. zabrina

This is absolutely Amazing! I have been watching this since the first rescuer went down. It is so surreal and heart wrenching to see the faces of the families, workers, rescuers and miners as they emerge out of the earth. The spirit and dedication of the people on the grounds is awe inspiring and the President's presence I believe adds so much to this rescue mission. I hope we all learn something from this Miracle in Chile!!!! Mission Possible!!!!!

27. Stephanie

I have watched these events unfold for the past 24 hours and feel that I have witnessed a miracle. 33 men who will forever be remember as survivors and hero's, have captured our hearts. Their stories, each one unique, are such a testament to the human spirit. Thank God all are out safe and sound and relatively healthy. Now is their time, to celebrate with loved ones and make up for the time they have missed. Thank you CNN for your coverage, 10/13/10 = 33 = MIRACLE!!

28. Deb

I have watched this drama unfold since last night with the first miner and I find it AMAZING.....I am so thankful all of them are out safe and sound.
    Blessings to all the families and thanks to CNN for outstanding coverage.

29. Kelly, PA

Those rescuers are soooo brave! And in such good spirits!

30. Jaime Cifuentes

The country is celebrating on every city and town. In Santiago people have gathered in "Plaza Italia" a place where people gather mostly to celebrate soccer wins. Many carry flags with the faces of the 33 miners.

31. Mary Ann

Amazing what we as a human race can accomplish in the face of adversity and peril! Congratulations to all the miners and all of the rescue personnel at the site! Go Chile!!

32. Johnny DeLillo

I am so happy that everyone is safe... and was just wondering if they are getting overtime pay for the 69 days they have been underground.

33. joan

i follow from the begining with prayer and i know prayer works

34. myrna

it's wonderful!

35. Louie

It is a miracle, a wonderful one. But how can you Americans put the debate (which was a joke) at a higher priority than the rescue? I am not surprised......you should have cancelled the debate and shown it later.

36. Mary Bradbin

God Bless you all in Chile ..and God Bless you Anderson for your min by min update on CNN .....Mission Accomplished!!!!From Canada :)and last but not least the Remarkable Rescuers...God Bless you and your families xoxoxox

37. thompson

A day off joy for the world.

38. Mike

..The last time something as inspiring as this moment captured the world's attention also happened in South America...Remember the Urugayian Rugby team whose plan chrashed in the Andes mountains...they lived in the cold and snow for just over 70 days as well...it is amazing what the human spirit can accomplish when we all work together...if only that was the case in every news story.

39. Rose

Thanks CNN I live in Newfoundland Canada, I started watching last night and can't sleep till the last rescue member gets back up you done a great job in your coverage. Thanks Rose
    Go Chile!!!

40. Nicole The Netherlands

I have tried to explain to some ten people about this night, last night we experienced all being witness to this news, in this way..
    It has given me so much hope and energy, the whole thing !!

41. Mercedes

This is truly an inspirational time when all of us come together in the hope for life. It is rare to follow a tragedy ending with a happy ending. Congratulations to all the miners and all of the rescue team.

42. John B

Good evening Anderson, you are doing a wonderful job. Keep up the excellent work, it's much appricated.

43. Charlene

Ya I have been thinking the same thing. How is going to lock the door.
    Watched the remarkable recovery all day, it is good for the sole to see such goodness in the world. The Chile president is an amazing man. His people should be very proud of him. I am from Canada and I am so happy for the people of Chile to have a great momnet like this. Yahoo.

44. Valeska

I am so proud of the Miners!!! So proud of Chile!!

45. Anne Wells

What an incredible thing to witness in our lifetime – people around the world watching the spirit and courage of 33 people trapped underground for so long and all FINALLY successfully rescued! We can all learn a lesson in humanity....

I just wish my 4 year old son Brody "Anderson" was old enough to understand what these amazing men have gone through!

46. paul

you guys did a aswsome job rescueing the miners great job

47. Tony

Mike from Syracuse...remember (I'm sure you do) that they just tackled a major earthquake practically alone.

Actually, one of the miners lost his home in that quake and moved to the city near the province and took this job. Talk about having a year...

October 13, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Peg

Thank god they are all back on earths soil

October 13, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  49. Gerardo Jara

Anderson:I'd like to congratulate CNN and especially your show for the excellent coverage of every development of the miner's rescue in Chile. As a native of Chile living in Tennessee I feel proud of the attention given to these simple and hardworking men from my homeland who provide the world with copper. This is one of the few occasions where I see the press giving full attention to a piece of information that focuses on the positive. Your show excels in this aspect!

October 13, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Beverly snipes

Bravo! Thank you, Anderson; this coverage is just what I want right now! Oh, and wasn't it beautiful how the president spoke from the heart; was all of that unscripted?

October 13, 2010 at 10:23 pm |