October 13th, 2010

Cheers & Tears in Chile: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, Chile's Camp Hope is living up to its name, and then some. Call it: Camp Success. All 33 miners are out.  Six rescue workers still need to be brought to the surface. We'll bring you live coverage from San Jose Mine where there have been a lot of cheers and happy tears over the past 22 hours.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. susan adair

The miners are truly Chile's own ROCK STARS!

2. David, Indiana

Good pt by Karl Penhaul an outcome that people hoped for but were afraid to dream of.

That looks like a long and unnerving ride through the tunnel, but like Gary Tuchman has said this evening, it was reassuring as the capsule went down the to mine and returned to the surface each time. Even so. And I'm glad that I was able to see the miners who came to the surface this evening. Each reunion of a miner with his family was joyous to behold.

3. Geri

Thanks Anderson, et al for the wonderful coverage of this amazing effort. Thanks also for sticking with the rescuers to the end ... those of us who are sort of stressing that can relax! Viva Chile! Viva everyone! Finally, good news on a major scale...we all need that once in a while.

4. Kim

I am not a very religious person but this is one of Gods true miracles. What a tremendous amount of human strength. Each & every rescue was heart warming.

5. Andy

I am from kansas and have been living in Chile for the last two years. I can hear the cars honking outside my apartment. This is an incredibly nationalistic country and they really come together for events like these. Usually its for soccer, but this mining event is a nice change!

6. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Why were so many rescue workers sent down? I thought the plan was originally just two.

7. Asthor

woke up early today to catch up with the coverage of the mine rescue...

8. Michelle

Such a feel good , miraculous story! These men are truly inspirational!! Your coverage has been exceptional-I don't get tired of watching and hearing the stories!

9. Nancy in Oregon

Jo Ann, I'm trying to let the glow of that effort stay with me as long as possible...it's inspiring, esp. when one encounters the inevitable clash of egos again. I wish we had more stories like this so we could 'hold the thought' a little longer, into our everyday lives! If we could have that vision as a strong part of our daily reality, it might help shape how we all behave...and the world could take a turn for the better!

10. Pat

This is the way it should be. Everyone working together. Isn't it wonderful. The whole world was pulling for these men and the outcome is fantastic. Great coverage from Anderson and CNN as usual!

11. Emily

Hi Janis,
    Those sunglasses are really going to save their sight. I heard that one of the miners had to have surgery as he had ulcers on his eyes. I still can't get over people being buried in a mine for 69 days.

12. Paula, Colorado

It will be a great relief to see the last rescue worker safely reach the surface.

13. Michelle

Thank you for showing the return of the rescue workers. It will be even more of a relief to know that everyone is above ground! 🙂

14. Kelly

Thank you to Anderson and the entire CNN team broadcasting the entire rescue! Im in Canada and have watched almost the entire rescue( with the expection of a bit of sleep) Thank God all the miners are out now, soon to have all the rescuers as well!

15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nichole,
    Yes, It is so special message from all the world blog I have read..... It is touch my heart.... It is so insprised me so much, I agree with you, too. 🙂

16. Stacey Daniel

I watched them all. Once I saw #1 last night I realized no one was more important than any other, they all deserved to be seen so I have watched everyone come out! I am a paramedic so I wont stop watching until all rescuers are out as well. Good news for once!!

17. Marianela

Amazing!!!!!! The 33 were able to survive because of their love for life and their faith in God

18. pam

does anyone know how the last rescue worker will get in the capsule and secure it?

19. Soledad Gomez

Today proves that miracles do still happen. All of those miner should have never of made it all out alive and well. God was really on there side this time... Chile does not abandon their people.

20. val

The rescuers didn't have to get all belted in. Sure makes it faster for them.

21. Ann Marie

Hi Anderson.
    This has been the most emotional story I have every watched. I cried every time a miner was brought up. I cried as if I knew each and everyone of them. All I can say is God is good.

22. Denise

Anderson, praise the Lord for this miracle. Can we know the names of the 5 rescue workers that chose to go down to save the 33? They deserve our praise and thanks!

23. Loir

Excellent coverage. so hard to quit watching and do my work. God Bless all.

24. Barbara

The rescuers have helped each man into the pod and shut the door securely. How will the last rescuer get out without anyone helping him into the pod?

25. David

What a moment for the miners, their families, all those in the rescue and the nation of Chile!

26. Lynn

I have never been so riveted to the television–and because of such wonderful news.. Such an emotional and happy time not only for the families, for Chile, but for everyone the world over who were praying for a happy conclusion to the ordeal of these miners.

27. Andrew

Just wondering how the last rescue worker can strap himself in and close the door?

28. Karla

Congratulations to all the Chilean miners! Thanks CNN for transmitting the live coverage.

29. Venessa

AMAZING. I look on in pure amazement. God was truly in control.

30. Bernice

This is a perfect example of how caring and loving each other, can produce miracles like this.
    Thanks to you Anderson, for all that you do. That's why I watch AC 360. You truly care about people, and it shows. Keep up the fantastic work!!
    I thank God for ongoing miracles!!

31. Monika Flores

God is amazing! God bless the miners, rescue team, their families and all the world! AC you never disappoint class act journalist and Karl Penhaul outstanding coverage excellent job!! Thank you!

32. clyde

When that first rescuer went down, I thought he had to be the bravest man I have ever seen

33. Norah

Hi
    we are really pleased to see that huge efforts in rescuing the miners and we are watching it from the beginning thro Cnn live here in Kuwait.

Good job & wish you all the best.
    Norah,
    Kuwait

34. Allan, Montreal Canada

We can see and feel how the whole world was drawn into the hope that all will turn out well...and it certainly did..What does it take for the good people of our planet to come together .May this be a fore shadowing of only good things to come...

35. Rita

I haven't been able to turn this off!! I am so relieved that they got all 33 miners up! And I agree with Micheal, they deserve some much needed time off and a couple of bonuses!!

36. Kathryn

So many nightmares in the world, it's wonderful to add this rescue to all the beautiful things in this world!!

37. Cinthia Tovar

Great way to celebrate the Hispanic Heritage Month!!!! A successful rescue!!!

38. Jessica

I am overwhelmed. I have kept tabs on the situation since it was first reported. I am amazed that the time to drill to the miners was lessened by almost 3 months or more. I am amazed they they pulled everyone single miner out in less than 24 hours.

I too am curious about how the last will latch the door.

October 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  39. Bob

QUESTION: What will they do with the hole when all the miners and rescuers are out of the mine?

Will they seal it off, explode it and if they close it, how will they do it???

October 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  40. Teresa

Viva Chile . . .Mision complida. . .almost

October 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  41. Jenny

Thank you, Anderson, for focusing on the remaining brave men still coming up from the mine! It isn't over until they, too, are safe!

October 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Brian

I think in some way, the world will sleep a little easier tonight.

October 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  43. Nancy

The rescue workers are heroes too. They chose to go down into this "hell". Please tell us their names and a little about each one.

October 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  44. Jina

This has been great to watch. It's wonderful to see some good news on t.v. Truly an inspiration

October 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  45. stacy

thank you for continuing to broadcast the rescue of the rescue team. won't be over until the last of them is lifted to the surface.

October 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  46. Kathy

Such a blessing and a miracle we have just witnessed. Sure, technology was involved, but someone else made this happen.

October 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Travis

I can't believe what I am seeing. This is so spectacular that all of these men have survived. What will happen to the mine when all of the men are evacuated?

October 13, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  48. Ekaloa

These rescue officers are true heroes in evry way one can explain, Anderson, please acknowledge these heroes too on your CNN hero night, at least mention their heroic actions.

October 13, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  49. Stella from Kissimmee, FL, USA

I was glued to the T.V. & cried profusely for these strangers who I did not know anything about.Then something wonderful happened, a CNN journalist named Karl Penhaul, wow!What an amazing reporter he was throughout this entire event.I couldn't wait to hear him and learn so many details about each miner as they were being rescued.What an exciting, charismatic, and passionate reporter Karl is.My hat is off to CNN and their outstanding reporting and staff.Karl should be given the highest award for his reporting of this rescue – Just a suggestion! 🙂

October 13, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  50. christie

I am so happy that all 33 minors are ok.My family and i have been watching since the first minor came up and all through the night and day to see the last one and the rescuers.I pray they will be ok in the coming months.

October 13, 2010 at 10:19 pm |