October 13th, 2010

Cheers & Tears in Chile: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, Chile's Camp Hope is living up to its name, and then some. Call it: Camp Success. All 33 miners are out.  Six rescue workers still need to be brought to the surface. We'll bring you live coverage from San Jose Mine where there have been a lot of cheers and happy tears over the past 22 hours.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sherilynn

I've been glued to CNN for 24 hours. Fantastic coverage. I'm in awe at the success of this rescue! I won't soon forget that wheel or the Chile chant! May God richly bless the miners, their families and everyone who made this possible.

October 13, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  2. La Mont Caldwell

I have been fallowing this event in the news and last night when i saw them starting to remove the miners it was so wonderful and amazing to live in Alaska and see what was happening at the site and where the men were trapped under ground. To see so many people helping others is so inspiring. my best wishes to all the miners and their families and everyone that has been involved in helping in anyway!!!!!!!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  3. Angie Flowers

What an amazing story...thank you for covering this and letting viewers experience the elation as each precious miner and rescue worker came out of the abyss. Awesome coverage of an awesome and inspiring event.

October 13, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  4. Thang Doan

Incredible rescue.
    They are heros

October 13, 2010 at 11:49 pm |
  5. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Safety is across the board.

October 13, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  6. Marion

Great coverage by CNN and what an inspiration the people of Chile are!
    Anderson: you have covered just about every disaster that has occured over the past few years....how does it feel to see such an uplifting story for a change?

October 13, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  7. LINDA ERBELE

Congratulations to Chile. What I want to know is, why don't we (US) have a national CHEER? Somebody give us a cheer..

October 13, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
  8. Emily

@David, Indiana,
    You are so right about Gary Tuchman's words. Sounds like they really did think everything detail though.

October 13, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  9. Jennifer

Wow, 10-13-10, today's date and that equals 33 miners! And now last rescuer up at 33 minutes after the hour! What a heart wrenching journey! I couldn't keep myself from crying every single time another man came up!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  10. Maria Paz

@Sarah the chant sings about the name of the country so it's by syllable: Chi Chi Chi – Le Le Le... and then Viva Chile! or miners from Chile!

October 13, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  11. Betty

I heard copper was mined,but don't quote me..

The most precious things ultimately were the rocks,brought up by the second, I think it was the second, miner...that was so funny..& I am sure that kind of contraband could never really be done again,.. in such a way...

October 13, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  12. Judie

What a wonderful thing to unfold in front of our eyes. I think God was the 34th man down there with them and the 40th to leave.

October 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  13. Chucks Uchechukwu Oduah

God is Great and I am happy for this great miracle!

October 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  14. lynn bateman

Pope Benedict sent a special international Rosary to each miner via the local Chilean Cardinal. Miners' supervisor set a space aside for daily prayer and meditation.

Faith saved these miners and kept them mentally stable.

October 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  15. Catherine

congratulations to the people and rescuers in Chile for a job very well done.Thank you CNN for allowing us to be a part of this history making event.

October 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  16. Landon Shultz

Did I hear the Chilean Pres say that they would enact new safety regs for all industries, and that they would ask the opinions of the Rescue Workers in deciding how to write the regs? America could learn something from Chile, in how to write practical legislation.

October 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  17. Lori

Isn't it amazing how one's life can change completely in an instant?

October 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  18. margalita belhumeur

i would like to send my sencere compliments to the rescue workers. they also deserve their merrit

October 13, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  19. Debra

I just want to say I don't usually watch much of cnn. But I truly admit that I was so very impressed with the way Anderson Cooper and cnn provided the entire coverage of the Chilean mine workers rescue!! I can't believe that you were the only news channel that did this!It was one of the most emotional broadcasts I've ever seen. Hats off to A.C. and cnn!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  20. Kathlyn Stabile

Thank you Anderson for keeping with every moment of the "miracle of the miners" Can't get enough and the tears of Joy are still flowing.

Question: Did the president stay standing the entire time?

October 13, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  21. Gail

Wonderful rescue. Wouldn't it be terrific if the world could continue to unite like this, to better our world, rather than continue the wars and hatred. Just imagine what we could do on Earth.

October 13, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  22. Arnie

The unbelievable discipline of the miners is apparent. They were all clean shaven except 2 who had trimmed beards.

October 13, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  23. Patti

Thank-GOD. All is well. I just wonder if any of our leaders would have stayed the entire time. The President was there for each and every 1. He looked tired @ 9 this am. Way to go Chile!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
  24. Brenda (Cape Canaveral Florida)

33 past the hour, in HONOR of the 33 Miners! Wow, that gave me chill bumps!

October 13, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  25. Lon in Lima, Peru

These men are true heroes. They have not only survived for two months, but they have helped each other and the rescue efforts and they have maintained their sanity. They are an inspiration to everyone to keep a postive attutide no matter what hand life deals us. This postive attitude and the comaraderie they have shown plus their mutual support is what has got them through this experience and resulted in a happy ending.

October 13, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  26. glenn starr

thank you for your wonderful coverage on the rescue of the chilean miners. i really enjoyed it. you are great at your job. thanks again, glenn

October 13, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  27. Dan (Adk. Mts. of NY)

May God bless the miners & their families.

May God bless all the rescue T-E-A-M ! Tremendous job !

Thank You CNN, for remarkable coverage of this event; ya done good !

October 13, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  28. Mali

Todays rescue was amazing! Not sure if someone has pointed this out already but todays date equals 33. 10/13/10 Today must have really been ment to be!

October 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  29. Abe Almonte

Thank you and the entire CNN team for the
    Chilean miners rescue coverage. Tears came to my eyes several times.

Abe Almonte

October 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  30. PAULA

@Emily, Sebastian Pinera is a great man and wounderful President!!!!!!!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  31. Sarah

Wonderful miracle from God. All 33 miners and the rescuers brought back alive. May all the world make note.

October 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  32. Maria León

To answer two questions:
    The cable wasn't centered because they said the pathway was sideways.

They sent 6 rescuers, 2 yesterday afternoon, 2 more this morning to let those guys rest and then 2 more because the rescue was supposed to be 48 hours, not 24. The rescuers have to be alert and at the top of their game.

Viva Chile, y viva los mineros de Chile

October 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  33. Erica Arnold, Switzerland

Yes they can ! And yes they did ! 🙂

Only once before in my life I was glued to CNN like I was for the last 24 hours. And that was on 9/11. On both times I cried a lot. But this time I cried happy tears.
    The miners came right out from the Highway to Hell. All uf us can't imagine what these man have gone through. You all have my biggest respect.....
    And have you noticed; most of them had shaved so nicely 😉

From Switzerland I greet Chile and a big THANK YOU to CNN.
    Erica Arnold

October 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  34. Robbie

Amen! Their all alive!
    I know how hard it is for the ones here in Utah, when the kandle cryon mine went in and we lost all of them wonderful hard working men.
    But Let them party......

October 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  35. Jo Ann, North Royalton, Ohio

@Betty, "Thanks for the update "Miners" day 10+13+10+33.. 10/13/10."

Funny you should say this because the number 33 has great significance in many religions.

October 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  36. Alicia Kerns

Thank God these miners were rescued. It makes me think of the miners that perished here in WV at the Sago mine a few years back. Only one man was saved by a miracle. These miners and their families need to thank the Good Lord above every day that they are alive and well.

October 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  37. SaraB

Well, it's the end of the news, but for them miners, it's just the beginning of the rest of their lives, surely, different lives....

Good night, everyone!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  38. Janet Bobby

Thank you CNN for covering the entire event. You made it more important than today's politics. You covered the human story and we need that so much.
    Dr. B.

October 13, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  39. Barbara

I don't watch reality shows, but after watching what I have for the past 26 hours, I think I might start. That was the BEST!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  40. Sandra

Agreed! Oct. 13th should be World Hope Day!

October 13, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  41. Mary from CT

Thank you CNN for letting us see this.....God Speed to all the miners and their families and to the most courageous, the workers who made this happen, who went down to help the miners, to the President of the country who stood by until all miners and rescuers were back on the ground, my deepest admiration to all of you. I wish our country was like this, willing to let the world see us break into clapping, chanting and singing when we go through an event like this. It was obvious that many countries' expertise was used to bring this to a happy conclusion. Wish that could always happen for all the world's issues. Maybe we can learn something from this.

October 13, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
  42. Conly

Congratulations for the last rescue – welcome back! U all are heroes.

October 13, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  43. David, Indiana

Whew yes that's happiness and relief.

As Gary Tuchman said once the capsule was working, a good amount of tension was relieved, but each and every time there is a bit of caution because we're all in this, you can't help but feel that.

October 13, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  44. Diane

Last rescue worker has reached the surface. I hope they they plug the mine entrances and the holes bored to reach the miners for eternity. The copper and gold mine was profitable for over 100 years. It gave all it had and still returned the miners and rescuers safely to their families. It's job is done!

October 13, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  45. Paul Davies

There is goodness in this world...that so many nations should come together to support the rescue of these miners is a testament to the goodeness in all mankind throughout the world...

October 13, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  46. Annette

Miracles! God bless all the men, families, rescuers, and all the countries for their help. Their joy brought tears. Amazing story, great coverage!

October 13, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  47. esther egharevba

chi! chi!! chi!!! le! le!! le!!! what a way to end this all, God bless Manuel Gonzales who was bold to go in first & come out last, the president, his wife, all the workers that were there, the pressmen, me also for praying with them for 2day as it is in Nigeria & most especially God almighty for his mercy. its 4:30 here, i can go to sleep now.

October 13, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  48. Simone Halliwell

Thanks be to God and all the people dedicated to getting the miners out! This restores my faith in humanity after so many years of horrific news that's left the spirit empty and numb. Congratulations to the miners, families and the rescuers.

October 13, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  49. Nicole The Netherlands

Applause !!!
    This is -History-

October 13, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
  50. Lin

What a wonderful day. I hope each miner will heal physically and mentally and reevaluate their lives and move forward in a positive manner. The rescuers were stars. There is a God.

October 13, 2010 at 11:40 pm |