October 13th, 2010

Cheers & Tears in Chile: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, Chile's Camp Hope is living up to its name, and then some. Call it: Camp Success. All 33 miners are out.  Six rescue workers still need to be brought to the surface. We'll bring you live coverage from San Jose Mine where there have been a lot of cheers and happy tears over the past 22 hours.

Want more details on what covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lorraine

God be with you all...and your family...my thoughts and prayers are with you miners and your family.....xoxoxoxox

October 13, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  2. Edmundo Alvarez

Anderson...All that I can tell you. It's that I'm so proud to be a Chilean.

October 13, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
  3. Bea

Does anyone know if that was smoke, dust, or steam coming up from the rescue shaft?

October 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Can you tell me what 300 meter to translator for me??????

October 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  5. PAULA

@Betty, In Chile people is asking that 10-13 be the miners day!!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  6. Ed

This is only the second time the whole world has come together to celebrate...the other time was over 2,000 years ago!

October 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  7. Becky G

God is great! Believe in miracles people it just happened.

October 13, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  8. Paul

Are they going to leave the local pub open for all the workers in about an hour ?? I'll bet they are ready for a beer by now!!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  9. Michelle Holman

One More to go!!...Oh the tears are coming again 🙂 ...It's fitting he is the last one to leave, he was the first rescuer to reach the men! I am so happy that he is having someone to talk to 🙂

October 13, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  10. Robin

What an amazing bunch of guys !!!!
    I'm watching the last rescuer down there alone and thinking, that's gotta be scary.

October 13, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  11. David, Indiana

Could the miners use the fiber optic connection Chad Myers described to communicate with their loved ones. That would go a long way to boost their spirits.

Also the pt by Dr. Kimberly Manning that the miners could move around in the tunnels, that must save their lives and health.

October 13, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  12. Emily

just watching this, I can't believe that the miners were in there for 69 days. Wow, this is quite the perspective.

October 13, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  13. Lorraine

waiting for the last rescuer to come up

October 13, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  14. Debbie Newark DE

I love how you can hear the last man there talking!

October 13, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  15. SaraB

Greetings from Guatemala!!! AC360 and CNN, job well done!!! You were my main source of information on this ordeal. Glad it is over!!! Again, good job!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  16. Jorge Herrera

Congratulations for your coverage of the Rescue.
    Just waiting for Manuel Gonzalez to go back to surface.
    Thanks God for the rescue.

Viva Chile!, Jorge, from Santiago of Chile

October 13, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  17. Shayne

What do you think is next for all these guys?

October 13, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  18. Ann

What an amazing day!. You don't have to speak the language to know what is being said. It is a universal feeling of love for family and friends and relief that their long ordeal is finally over. Good luck to all in your recovery and God Bless.

October 13, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  19. Nancy

God is good! Deo gratias!

October 13, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  20. Betty

I hope that Chili does have this date 10-13-10 as their national holiday!!

10+13+10=..33..!!!

God Bless!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:13 pm |
  21. Jacqueline, NY

Big props to the rescuers. God bless them for doing this kind of work.

October 13, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  22. Tony

Emily, you gather 33 guys, and you'll find a guy with 2. It's human.

They'll work it out.

I'm loving this webcam video of Manuel just waiting. Awesome.

October 13, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  23. Charles

Thanks very much, Anderson, for the ongoing coverage of the rescue. It's great that you stayed with the rescuers. They are heroes for sure, as they went down by choice.

October 13, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  24. Ann Fitzgerald

Anderson,

Thank you! Thank you! for covering the recovery of the "Rescue Workers" that voluntered to assist the Miners in their recovery. God Bless you for finishing the story.

Ann

October 13, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  25. Harold & Donna Jessup

We watched the CNN news production of the rescue along with 50 others at the Royal Canadian Legion, Sir Sam Hughes Branch 67, Lindsay, Ontario, Canada tonight as the last miner was brought to the surface. Our entire Legion burst into cheers and applause, and yes, a few tears. Praise God they are saved. Mining is a dangerous profession, and these men all seemed to embody the spirit of miners throughout the world. God bless them all, and God bless their families and rescuers.

October 13, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  26. Mariam Razavi (Washington DC)

Wow Congratulations Chile, am happy to see all 33 were rescued safely! That is simply awesome! Did you know this: 10/13/10=33 miners rescued. They felt there was a significance to the date.

October 13, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  27. Leslie

As a Canadian new junkie I sit here and watch many events unfold on TV and I have to say we (other countries) could learn alot from the Chillean Government and how they handled this situation...... Just sayin'

October 13, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  28. Trish

I am SO impressed and happy that the President has remained to greet all of the rescue workers.
    And thanks just now for confirming that the last rescue worker is indeed Manuel Gonzalez.

I continue to well up with tears of joy and pride; I'm not from Chile, but I am a human being. We should all be proud of this effort, and remember it always!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  29. Christaline Robin

they were meant to be alive – God have a plan for them; i am so elated – just want to know all is out n doing well

October 13, 2010 at 11:10 pm |
  30. Debbie Newark DE

I don't know about anyone else but my heart is pounding as I watch it go down this last time.

October 13, 2010 at 11:10 pm |
  31. PAULA

Anderson, I'm a proud chilean, I live in Boca Raton Fl and I want to thank you for showing everything that is happening in my Country. The translation is perfect, really good job!!!

October 13, 2010 at 11:10 pm |
  32. Lorraine

Had the goose bumps every time each one came up...wtg ev1 for the rescue...

October 13, 2010 at 11:10 pm |
  33. nalini

Exactly what Gary said.The first miner came up at 11.05, I think,almost to the minute, cos the pod just left for Mr. Gonzalez.

October 13, 2010 at 11:10 pm |
  34. Emily

That is the one that was telling each of miners how he was going to get into that capsule; and what it was going to be like. I remember someone told him last night when he went down to "think that he's at the beach". He really is a HERO. (All five of them are)

October 13, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  35. Joey

This experience has shown the world what we as people can achieve by working together. Luis Urzua displayed true Heroism, the rest of the miners showed real valor. And everybody's acts of true faith really inspired us here at home. My thanks to the rescue workers. Can't wait for the book.

October 13, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  36. JudyBell

Congratulations to all Chileans. Not only did they accomplish the impossible, they did it with dignity. No hysterics, no screaming, no look at me, the recovery should be mandatory viewing for every school age child in the US.

October 13, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  37. Sherry, Kentucky

Will the tunnel and area be sealed off some way?

October 13, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  38. marcy

please stay on the last rescuer.. we have been waiting hours to see how the last guy gets into the capsule and comes up, without anyone to help him

October 13, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  39. Sue R. Canton MI.

Thanks to all the dedicated and brave rescue workers who risked their life to go into the mine. They are all safe. "JOB WELL DONE "

October 13, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  40. Nicole The Netherlands

@ Nancy and everyone 'more regular doses of similar inspirations would be good for our diets'
    So true! so true!
    Being witness to this -good- news.
    🙂 !!

October 13, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  41. Shayne

This is just amazing! Who would have ever thought after 17 days these men were alive? This is a miracle!

October 13, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  42. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

That rescue capsule looks pretty beat up.

October 13, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  43. Lori

It would be really neat to have the mine area, where they were trapped, preserved and opened as a national monument for visiters.

October 13, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  44. Renee

This makes me wish I was a multimillionare, I mean the 10,000 is nice but if I had the money I'd give each of them a million dollars just for being the most courageous and inspiring men of all time. It's nice, for a change, to watch a news story with not only a happy ending but an inspiring one. It's a nice change from the regular news which is so depressing! Best of luck and the greatest happiness for the rest of your lives guys!

October 13, 2010 at 11:08 pm |
  45. Tony

Yep, first rescuer down, last up. He's got the right stuff. He must.

October 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm |
  46. Linda

Thank you CNN for around the clock coverage, these moments will be something I will remember always!

October 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm |
  47. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

One more rescuer to go. I wonderful how he must be feeling at this moment that everyone else is on the surface.

October 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm |
  48. Kenya

One more to go! This is great.

October 13, 2010 at 11:06 pm |
  49. vinnett

Thank you CNN for giving us the opportunity to see this rare event live as it happens. These men showed thru patiences they are true heroes. Hopefully others will learn some patiences from these brave soles. Thank God for all the rescuers. May God Bless them All.

October 13, 2010 at 11:06 pm |